Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Christian rock - a turnoff?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Barflyondabeach
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Christian rock - a turnoff?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Hey, if someone takes a vinyl of a Christian rock album and plays it backwards, what do you think you'll hear?
 Sass_and_Class
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Christian rock - a turnoff?
Posted: 7/18/2007 7:44:42 PM
I think on of the major sticking points to this topic for me is this:

Musical performance can not be void of the artist's core beliefs/emotions/perspectives and still be musically powerful. Thus, faith, and sometimes the lack there of, is a part of an artist's musical message. Various audiences will connect with various different artists, messages, and performances. Some people really connect with the highly evangelical groups and if it works for them, great. For me, I prefer a group that is not preaching through their music, but rather, their faith simply flows through their music because it can not be masked.

Incidentally, I recently returned from attending the Sonshine Music Festival in Willmar, MN, which happens to be a Christian rock festival. There were a lot of musically solid bands there ranges in styles and faith approach within their music. It was a blast!
 Sass_and_Class
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2007 9:57:49 AM
It would seem to me that continuing to embrace historical opinions of a particular genre of music is rather absurd. Beethoven was considered a complete renegade and disgrace to classical music in his era as well. The projection that all Christians view rock music as the devil's music and are compromising their beliefs to appeal to younger generations is a gross generalization.

From a personal standpoint, I view my faith as a core part of who I am. Thus, it does influence my choices in music. Does that mean that I limit myself to traditional hymns or even purely Christian music? No. I enjoy and embrace a variety of musical genres...everything from classical to broadway to oldies to rock to pop to Christian influenced. I don't believe that God judges us by the style of our music, but rather, the motivation and message within that music. A good Beatles tune can have just as positive a message as a Christian artist.

I would also extend that there is a great difference between established, organized religion and personal religious faith/relationship with God. Churches are run by human beings and are, thus, suseptable to corruption. Their purpose in religion is to be a place where similiarly-minded people of a faith can worship, learn, and grow together in that faith. Your relationship with God is a personal thing and quite separate from any specific establishment.
 Sass_and_Class
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2007 6:18:16 PM
I think that is the bottom line - if it sounds good and is acceptable to your morality, then a label is rather meaningless. The troubling thing is that so many Christian bands are less than stellar and thus, give the Christian music industry a reputation for lacking talent and professionalism. Talent is talent, regardless of religion of musical genre label. The Christian music industry needs to insist on quality music and allow surrender to God to take hold in regards to the competition of the music business, in my opinion.
 OU8one
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2007 7:08:01 PM
.... not if it was written by Frank Zappa !!.... How about that tune " Catholic Girls"... great piece of music and interesting lyrics too !!....
 Dead Earnest
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2007 3:26:35 PM
Everyone knows the Devil has the best tunes.
I can't stand smug Christians preaching at me through their music, but at least I can steer well away from it. Worse are musicians who are "born again" after seeing the light, especially after living lives of excess. (Yep, I'm talking about Dave Mustaine). Just get on with it!

Oh, and MSG 7 et al, money ISN'T the root of all evil, the correct saying is "THE LOVE OF money is the root of all evil" - something completely different!
 StarManta
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/12/2007 5:12:11 PM
Though I'm a staunch atheist, there are some Christian artists that I do enjoy listening to; namely Five Iron Frenzy (which sadly is no more), Skillet, Brave Saint Saturn... aside from FIF (who I fell in love with years ago when I was still a Christian), I really only like the music of these artists and not really any of their "message".

Art being what it is, I don't believe that simply being borne out of religion should be grounds for dismissal; you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would outright dismiss the Last Supper or the Cistine (sp?) chapel simply because they were religious, so why would we do the same for modern music?
 vladtepes97
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2007 8:19:39 PM
so-called Christian rock is generally of poor quality. the singers can't sing and the lyrics are maudlin.

someone once described triumph to me as a christian band and that surprised me. but then i remembered triumph's songs and realised they could easily be called christian, not for preaching, but for promoting good values. so, rock on, rik. on the other hand, they were good because they were not maudlin and they could actually play and sing. occasionally there'll be a band with a mainstream hit, like "how far is Heaven" and stuff like that, and you see that those songs don't sound like the tripe that passes for music under the label of Christian.
 vladtepes97
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2007 8:21:39 PM
i went to my friend's wedding last year and they had their friend, a guitarist, play and sing during the ceremony. i wanted to throw up because the guy could not sing, just like most of the christian rock bands i've heard on the radio. slurring the words and trying to pass that off as deep feeling. it was all i could to to keep from laughing out loud or walking up to the altar and taking the guitar from him and shooing him off to the music teacher.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2008 6:37:46 AM
I would rather prefer the music to the message.

Wire Man
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/6/2008 11:55:37 PM
I played in a Christian metal group once........... I didn't like it.
I'm now not religious in any manor and i listen to a lot of Slayer.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Christian rock - a turnoff?