Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rustytraveler
Msg: 10
Go Grey or dye?Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Hate sitting at the beauty parlor .
 Celticmist
Msg: 11
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 6/24/2007 5:43:01 AM
Well I just normally leave mine au naturelle, but for the fun of it I had it dyed for my retirement party - it's is now back to it's grey natural state and I like it that way. I earned it and I'm keeping. Why don't you try it as some have said - it does grow out. I have short and it grows fast so I am never stuck with anything I don't like for long. LOL
 lovin2blivin
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 6/24/2007 7:32:01 AM
"To dye or not to dye, that is the question"

Whatever makes you feel good and suits you...is what counts, in my book. People's features lighten as they age and therefore a dark color looks 'odd' on an older person. Some people look a lot older with grey hair and a little color goes a long way in making them look as young as they feel.
Experiment with what looks good on you and know that it doesn't last forever.
 moraima
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 6/24/2007 8:04:10 AM
Over the years people have commented on the fact that I had no grey in my hair. I have always joked that the Gods will get me back, and I will turn white over night at some point.

When I was young I tried have my hair dyed blonde and sometimes red. For a about 8 years I wore it my natural shade of medium brown. When I look back of photos of the brown phase for some reason I looked older and very much like a nerd. Then I decide to go tricolour before it came into fashion. I got the idea from all the beautiful tricolour dogs I saw. It may sound silly but I would look at how vivid the three different colours looks on the dogs and how pleasing it was to my eyes. I always thought that the dye companies should copy the canine colours because even though the colours are dramatic they are like natural.

This year I have actually got a couple of white hairs grewing into my bangs which I tug out and they of course come back.

I am not sure when my brown turns to grey if I will choose to change the base colour from white back to brown. I don't think that I will. I have issues with having dye on the scalp being absorbed by the body. All chemicals that we use must be detoxed by our liver and kidneys. Southern Ontario is already the smog capital on Canada, so I don't think I will add more chemicals to my body.

Highlights and lowlights put on with foil don't touch the scalp before there is no absorption. It is a pain that it leaves me with a bit of natural roots colour even the day it is done, but oh well, better than absorbing more chemicals.

Going grey/white isn't something that terrifies me. Now a future of losing my teeth, or body mobility scaries me badly.
 charliemcsd
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 6/24/2007 9:03:41 AM

I like gery on women....
[.quote]
 bizeebee
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 6/24/2007 7:25:17 PM
Hey,
Only my hairdresser knows....
 Imagine1947
Msg: 25
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 6/24/2007 11:08:05 PM
The great thing about hair color is that it's temporary, so try different ideas to see what is best for you. People definitely look older with gray hair...so if that's OK with you, leave the color alone, or use a product that brings out your gray at its best. If you do decide to color your hair, have it done professionally if you can, & keep the color as close to your youthful color as possible, if not lighter. Keep up the color so you don't let the gray roots show...that always looks tacky. And ask the opinion of people who you trust to tell you the truth & who look good themselves.
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 26
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 6/25/2007 4:53:02 AM
I have very long hair and it's had gray in it since my 20's. I have dyed it ONCE and it was only because of too much fun in one day, way too my bacardi and two OLDER friends who just kept on at me until I gave in... So basically I had it dyed that once then one of them did it once more... THAT WAS ENOUGH...

Most of my grey is right up front so that is what I catch people looking at... I have gotten lots of compliments on how I "streak" my hair.. like duh.. do you really think I would STREAK my hair with GREY??... oh well... I just laugh it off. I hate the beauty parlors.. I've also had my hair permed twice years ago. The problem with foo foo hair is having to keep it up. I not only feel better being natural I just don't have time to do the upkeep on dyed or permed hair. I have better things to do with my time. Not to say anything against women who do, more power to you .. it's just not "my thing"...
 moraima
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 6/25/2007 6:18:49 AM
Some people like fabulous with grey/white hair. Depends on skin tone and the shade of grey/white.
 StarreGazer
Msg: 29
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 6/25/2007 6:33:09 AM
Forget the dye. Go natural. I've always felt that's the best way.
 Fanny
Msg: 50
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 6/30/2007 2:58:17 PM

I have had my hair highlighted blond. It is woven in with the silver grey and my natural colourand looks great. No roots showing up around the two week mark. It lasts about six weeks and then needs a touch up.

I do the same thing!

I have very dark hair, and increasing, but very scattered gray. Not being good with home haircolor kits (it winds up on the walls, the floors, the ceiling...), I was going to the hairdresser all the time to cover the gray roots. Now I just highlight every few months, the gray blends in, and it looks flattering. It's just the thing for a low maintenance girl...
 moraima
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 7/1/2007 9:53:43 AM
Question: Is it the grey hair that makes women look older, or is it having grey hair and a the particular hairstyle the women has? and the way she dresses? What I am trying to say is if one women has grey hair but looks modern in everything else, does she still look old?
 StarreGazer
Msg: 55
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 7/1/2007 4:04:21 PM

Msg: 68 -- if one women has grey hair but looks modern in everything else, does she still look old?

I don't think so. I think what makes woman look "old" is the attitude shown by the way she carries herself. If she FEELS youthful she will act so. If she feels aged, she is just biding her time until the final trip to the boneyard and she will look like it.
 Engage-me
Msg: 56
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 7/1/2007 4:16:18 PM
I had my first WHITE hair while still in high school and my temples have been naturally white since my early 30's. I've used the touch up dyes for years. But, how well it's maintained can take years off the apparent age. Now I'm experimenting to see what it looks like without help.

*True story* Gloria Swanson, at the time well into her 70's appeared on a talk show. She walked, talked, moved and dressed much younger. She wore oversized sunglasses and a high necked blouse to help keep the illusion going but she presented herself so that no one gave her true age a though
 Smuggler
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 7/2/2007 8:04:03 AM
Go grey with grace
 redhawk130
Msg: 65
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 7/5/2007 9:25:13 PM
This Man says go gray, we've earned it !
 dustyknight
Msg: 67
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 7/8/2007 11:11:36 AM
54 and still no grey..If I ever grey..I'll let it go natural..
I knew I was younger than my mom said..lol
lol bro 6 yrs younger is all grey..
dusty
 oggers
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 7/8/2007 11:20:47 AM
Dye by all means ladies, but for Gawd's sake stay away from that blue or purple rinse stuff ..

.. unless you are a millionairess living in Florida looking for an English gentleman, in which case its GREAT !
 jffquin
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 7/9/2007 4:53:04 PM
I just wish I had hair to color.
 Mzzzy
Msg: 77
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 7/25/2007 9:35:59 AM
I'm allergic to hair dye now..ain't got no choice..durn it.We are,what we are..grey hairs and all.
 JDMETRO
Msg: 79
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 7/25/2007 2:31:41 PM
Dye or not dye -- For men - men who depend upon public contact to make money - Sales, I say dye it. If you are a guy over 50 in sales and you actually have hair - it is turning gray and is often mottled - like a cut of swirl cake --- then dye it.

In 2007 - in business to business or even retail sales, the buyer or buying public is most often young. Unless you are selling handicap accessible bathroom fixtures to seniors - the current crop of customers are young. And young people these days have little to no identity with OLD. Gray is OLD - ancient to these folks.

Business to business sales are hard enough - but when the buyer is 27 and you are 57 with gray hair (what's left of it) -- AND your competition is a 44 y.o. sales guy with no gray hair - guess who is going to get attention? The more youthful looking guy - bottom line.

In years past graying hair on a man was distinguished and helped in the job market - BUT NO LONGER.

I don't make this suggestion based on my experience alone. I have computer customers who are Food Brokers and the old guys are losing sales to the new young crop of sales men and women. These old food sales guys look like an old age home and NONE - not one would consider trying to look younger - even to keep their job. DUMB!

NOTE: If you dye your hair - get it done right. Nothing worse than a bad dye job and you can ease into it - gradually darken the color.

For over 50 men - I believe is also helps with the women. You should see some of the grandpas at the Singles Gatherings. For every woman who says it doesn't matter if the over 50 guy is gray -- there are three who say it looks better darker.

Joe
 idahosun
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 7/26/2007 8:18:59 PM
I think it should be a matter of personal preference. Some people get beautiful silver or white hair, others (like me) don't, but I do think gray tends to fade you out and our skintone is already fading too fast...we need color to look more alive but I really don't care one way or the other...although I do see people and think to myself "why don't they do something with their hair, it ages them sooo much.." Such a trivial subject but kinda fun after all the heavy topics in the forums and in real life
 RedTulips
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 8/9/2007 3:42:38 PM
I'll never go grey. Just go to a qualified professional and have them dye your hair for you. Yes, I have tried to do it off and on for years by myself. It always gets dried out. You really need a professional beautician who has been specially trained in order to get the results you want.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 91
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 8/9/2007 8:02:40 PM
My hair started turning in my 30's. Gotta say, this is my favorite color it's ever been, lol!

Miss W
Msg: 94
Go Grey or dye?
Posted: 8/10/2007 10:10:18 AM
I will definitely go grey when the time comes. My mother has and my grandmother had the most wonderful white hair. One of my sisters is thrilled that her grey is starting to come in so that she won't be a slave to color anymore. In my family, we don't show grey until around 60ish or later and it is easier to go grey when you are blonde.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >