Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 UR4ME?
Msg: 54
Young children that use bad languagePage 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

LOL well if your an example of someone educated you sureeee have a lot to learn kid

Yes I do, and everyday I do, it would nice if you chose to do the same. When your thinking stops at 1950 you have a problem. When you have no understanding of the development of a language, you need to start doing some reading. Being 'simple' makes you simple.
 brandy_n_3
Msg: 58
Young children that use bad language
Posted: 7/10/2007 1:11:17 PM
I do not allow it at all, heck my mother still chews me out if I swear around her and I am 30. I do swear on occasion, my usual phrase being "crap on a cracker" when things go badly, but anything more have to be due to a very good reason. THe reason I bring this up is because beore kids I swore alot, while pg with my first I lived with a couple troopers, there is a reason people say you "swear like a trooper" every other word is a swear word. I learned very quickly when the kids were little and started to parrot me just how often I swore. Kids learn what they hear and repeat it. All of my kids have experiemented with swearing, my 3 year old being the worst, due to things he heard while at the playground with his babysitter. All have been taught that those words are not acceptable for children to say, we call them grown up words. When they were small I would simply remind them, have them apologize to whomever was in the room to have heard the words "for hurting their ears with those words" and give a different word to use instead. Once they got old enough to truely understand the meaning of the words and were using them in context, such as my oldest who tried on 2 separate occasions to call me a b*tch when he didn't get his way, I got creative. My rule is if you don't know enough english words that you need to resort to swears I will teach you. For each swear they must copy out 1 page out of the dictionary. Let's just saw swearing rarely happens in my home anymore, copying a page from the dictionary takes away alot of their play time.

I know there is a chance they still swear with friends when I am not around, I remember doing that when I was a kid. But I hope as I continue to teach then manners and values that this will decrease as well, though only time will tell.
 mars_to_venus
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2008 11:34:25 AM
My daughter is 5 and wants a cell phone
 mars_to_venus
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2008 1:24:15 PM
Kids are watching and listening. My mom has been watching my kids for me lately and my 3 year old son has been saying "d*mn-it!" and I know he got that from my mom because that was her favorite word when I was a kid.
 WesternRose
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/6/2008 10:16:35 PM
Totally unexceptable.
...the parent(s) need to step up and lead by example and stop this nonesense.

I have few rules in my household...respect is foremost.
Respect for yourself and for others. It is totally unrespectful for foul language to be used or tolerated.

This should not be seem as normal or just a sign of the times.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >