Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Bad Spelling in forums / profiles - a real turn off ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tinapenny
Msg: 351
Bad Spelling in forums / profiles - a real turn off ?Page 15 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
When I first signed up for PoF some years ago I was keen to find acceptance and keen to show that I was accepting of other people's foibles so I responded to this thread, or one like it, by saying that spelling wasn't important. I argued, as have others, that spelling ability wasn't the be-all and end-all, that there are good people out there who cant spell and that it would be foolish to wipe them off with a critical attitude to spelling.

About four years on, having read hundreds of profiles, corresponded with some and met a few, I have changed my mind. While it is still true that spelling isn't everything, it's such a clear indicator of literacy, general education and attention to detail that it would be foolish to dismiss it unconcernedly. We have so few indicators when reading profiles and forum posts that we need to use those we do have wisely. If someone comes over as poorly educated, careless of language and dismissive of social usage, then they probably ARE like that in all aspects of their life. If that sort of person wouldn't suit you, you need to be real about it.

Oh, and apart from 'inteligents' or similar, the other spelling mistake that is terribly common, and as lame, is 'dinning' instead of dining. Perhaps they should have stuck with 'eating'.
 axl617
Msg: 352
Bad Spelling in forums / profiles - a real turn off ?
Posted: 11/19/2010 11:04:23 AM
"I am the original spelling Nazi, I freak out at bad signs in shops, correct the newspaper, and even see dumb mistakes in tv adds, I know I'm a bore but hey I'm a literate bore"

TV ads*
 pietrangeli
Msg: 353
Posted: 12/4/2010 5:55:39 PM
tinapenny on 11/1/2010 528 PM
~"While it is still true that spelling isn't everything, it's such a clear indicator
of literacy, general education and attention to detail that it would be foolish
to dismiss it unconcernedly. We have so few indicators when reading profiles
and forum posts that we need to use those we do have wisely. If someone comes
over as poorly educated, careless of language and dismissive of social usage, then
they probably ARE like that in all aspects of their life. If that sort of person
wouldn't suit you, you need to be real about it.~"

The ART of information transfer via the written word is no measure of the
quality of the individual who (perpetrates!) creates the construct.The
transmogrification of English over the centuries gives lie to the theory that
sentence construction and grammatical correctness is the 'be all and end all'
of information transfer.Shakespearean language is no longer in vogue but
by any yardstick of measurement incomprehensible and I defy anyone to
assess HIS mindset as associated with poor education!

I have read some of THE most 'cutting edge' and incisive comments
via the written word by rank amateurs to sentence construction
and prose;their minds on planes far superior to mere mortals such
as myself;the brilliance of their thought processes unfettered by the
deprived economic circumstances of their nurturing in their younger
years;a malaise totally outside their purview!

'The beings of the mind are not of clay;
Essentially immortal, they create
And multiply in us a brighter ray
And more belov'd existence: that which Fate
Prohibits to dull life, in this our state
Of mortal bondage, by these spirits supplied,
First exiles, then replaces what we hate;
Watering the heart whose early flowers have died,
And with a fresher growth replenishing the void.'

Lord Byron
(Childe Harold's Pilgrimage, Canto the Fourth
(37-45))
 lyingcheat
Msg: 354
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2010 7:54:44 PM

The transmogrification of English over the centuries gives lie to the theory that
sentence construction and grammatical correctness is the 'be all and end all'
of information transfer. Shakespearean language is no longer in vogue but
by any yardstick of measurement incomprehensible and I defy anyone to
assess HIS mindset as associated with poor education!

English may well have changed over the centuries but that doesn't 'give lie' at all to the concept of correct, for the period, usage. You seem to be ignoring both language chronological development and content for some reason.
In short - context.
It would be foolish to evaluate Shakespeare using todays standards since he isn't living today. Likewise, it would be foolish to dismiss Homer, Plato, or Socrates as 'incomprehensible' because they didn't have the brains to write in English.

Which is why this \/\/\/ may have some limited validity, but in this context whatever validity it has can be ignored as irrelevant.

The ART of information transfer via the written word is no measure of the
quality of the individual who (perpetrates!) creates the construct.

It may be true that mangling the language is no indicator of how well someone treats their mother, but in the context of the purpose of this website, use of language can be an indicator of 'quality'.
It's ridiculous to assert it can't.

As tinapenny points out above -
About four years on, having read hundreds of profiles, corresponded with some and met a few, I have changed my mind. While it is still true that spelling isn't everything, it's such a clear indicator of literacy, general education and attention to detail that it would be foolish to dismiss it unconcernedly. We have so few indicators when reading profiles and forum posts that we need to use those we do have wisely. If someone comes over as poorly educated, careless of language and dismissive of social usage, then they probably ARE like that in all aspects of their life. If that sort of person wouldn't suit you, you need to be real about it.

As I myself have pointed out -
...Yet in most other areas of human expression people don't seem to mind conceding they may not be as good at something as some others. For instance, it would be odd to hear someone with minimal musical training or knowledge, who habitually puts the wrong notes in the wrong places while singing wildly off key, claiming their performance or composition is just as good and just as valid (musically, meaningfully, movingly) as someone with more aptitude, skill, or talent who doesn't make those errors.
Or someone who can't cook anything more complicated than toast claim that they're the equal of Gordon Ramsey or Jamie Oliver.
Or someone with a snappy point and shoot camera, and only a vague notion of what composition is, claiming their shots equal Helmut Newton's and make Ansel Adams look average.

The other thing that's strange about this debate is way the qualifier "as long as the/my meaning is clear, what does it matter?" is used, as if it supports the argument that correct spelling, or careful expression, are redundant concepts.
The thing is, even well constructed writing is open to misinterpretation. Words are only symbols, they're abstract, there's no guarantee the intended (transmitted) meaning will be received intact by the recipient, since they'll be filtering everything they hear, see, or read, through their own experiences and understanding. It's a wonder really that anyone understands exactly what anyone else is saying (or writing) at all.

So the blithe confidence one often sees expressed, generally by alternately enabled spellers, that everyone understands them perfectly well because it's obvious what they mean, is indicative only of their own lack of comprehension.
It says nothing about the comprehensibility of their output, despite their obvious wish that it did.

That misplaced confidence also indicates a poor understanding of the possibilities language offers, as well as being an expression of their, probably deluded, hopeful expectation that they won't be judged on their flimsy grasp of the language.
When it's perfectly clear everyone makes judgements about everyone else based on the slightest of reasons.

Height, weight, horoscope sign, postcode, etc etc... but not on apparent literacy?

In other words, that someone may present themselves as a sporty type, or motorcyclist, or bookish stay-at-home, is central to the purpose of them being here and how they make the presentation, in terms of the intended target audience, is crucial.
It may be true, as you've referred to above, that a fellow who presents himself holding a dead fish, or dressed in overalls working on a car, is saying nothing about his "quality" as an individual. But he is speaking volumes to someone who dislikes fishing/sport/outdoor pursuits and likewise, the fellow under his car, gives no indicator of how kind he is to animals or how he treats his children/mother/ex-wife, but he shouts loudly about his interests and what he considers as a worthwhile way to spend time.

But even more important, and revealing, than all these subtleties is the strange insistence one encounters, and I referred to it in the quote above, that poor or incompetent use of a tool is not an indicator of ability. Actually, that's exactly what it is, and to suppose otherwise is to reveal a capacity for delusion that is potentially more informative than the poor use of the tool.
 FavouriteDreamsOfYou
Msg: 355
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2010 6:07:09 PM

Yes.
 ~Pedro Sanchez~
Msg: 356
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2010 12:29:55 AM
We mast embrraes our iner bad speler, cos thairz unnuther iner bad speler waeteeng out thair in thu big bad kruel werld uv speleeng naatseez (uv wich Ie am naat, just u spektaeter iz aul). LMAO.

Wun dae, thu werld wood bee oeverrun withh hielee ivvaalvd bad spelerz, that kerint kurrekt useage wood bee u thheeng uv thu past. Heerz u tip: Plaeyeeng on-lien 'scrabble" wil fiks aul uv yer speleeng defeciencies. Aartiffishool inttelijints iz noe mach fer nacherool stupidity. Sentints dee-constructionists aar anarchists (and wil bern in gramer hel!). Thair ujjendu iz tue destabilze thu on-lien daeteeng world!
 Crankypants
Msg: 357
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2010 12:21:43 AM
Yes, the spelling of "laughing out loud" as 'LOL' perturbs me, as does its overuse. Many a private message moves from pleasant to creepy with the ubiquitous LOL bracketing a harmless greeting, and I have this relentless image of someone sitting, sing as they type. Ban LOL I say, and its amputee cousin, ROLFMAO, and its incontinent friend PMPLMAO.
 Crankypants
Msg: 358
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2010 12:22:42 AM
sing as they type? Hah, self-foiled.
Sing I meant.
 AussieDebbie
Msg: 359
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2010 3:24:31 PM
in my opinyon i think it is a waist of time to get the dicshunary out!
 FavouriteDreamsOfYou
Msg: 360
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2010 5:43:37 PM
lol

All that edumacation don't do nobody no good nohow.
 Dan99993
Msg: 361
Posted: 12/15/2010 3:00:38 AM
All that edumacation don't do nobody no good nohow.

You're wrong. That's how doctors (gynecologists-obstetricians) can practice their love with women.

(for those who wonder, it's a famous Bush quote)
 Crankypants
Msg: 362
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2010 12:22:53 PM
aha. apparently the word sn1gg3r1ng is not allowed because of its relationship to an offensive word. I didn't foil myself, it's the inbuilt editor. Chuckle, giggle, cackle, snicker, guffaw.
 Bren2912
Msg: 363
Posted: 1/27/2011 12:19:53 PM
It is one thing to make typos in IM and even in forums, if one is rushed, but quite another to misspell, in profiles especially. Taking away points for every error is a bit extreme, but it certainly does nothing to enhance a profile.

Pet hates are your/you're and there/their ..... and using 'adds' instead of 'ads' when referring to advertisements.

Bren
 Tabris
Msg: 364
Posted: 2/10/2011 5:54:57 PM
I'll admit I'm a terrible speller. So I try to make sure everything I type is right just so it looks like I've put some effort into it. When I see mistakes in other people's posts and profiles I think maybe I'm not that bad.

But I do hate it when I read profiles that say they won't respond to messages from people if their profile or message has spelling/grammar mistakes in it. Even though their profile is full of mistakes.
 wildandfreee
Msg: 365
Posted: 6/12/2011 5:07:50 AM
It does annoy me sometimes cause i cant understand but it will not stop me from communicating to the person.
when i see on some profiles writing will not reply to your message if you write like this or bad grammar then its a turn off for me, same for forums i dont think you need to have perfect literacy to communicate or ask something you want to know.
 lakecruising
Msg: 366
Posted: 6/13/2011 5:38:08 PM
Maybe the hang up is all yours my spelling sucks but i would not let it stop me from dating a person to make a point is just bad manners .

It amazes me that educated people cant be so rude as to label the misfortunate.
 SeaCatcher
Msg: 367
Posted: 10/7/2011 12:36:32 AM
Bad spelling drives me nuts. I can't easily tolerate lol lol lol, either. In my profile here I state very clearly that I'm interested in intelligent men. Completely ignoring that is just another sign of stupidity, as far as I'm concerned.
 internetdatinglol
Msg: 368
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2011 4:11:05 AM
I care as much about how a woman spells as I do about their occupation. Which is to say NOT AT ALL.
Especially if they're hot. Hotness makes everything forgivable.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 369
Posted: 10/7/2011 8:36:02 AM
I remember this thread from a few years back. If you want to read something really funny and masterfully written check out msg 245 on page 10 of this thread.
 Akizzej
Msg: 370
Posted: 10/7/2011 11:02:17 PM
Since this thread has been resurrected, and I never chimed in all those years ago... I'll add my piece now....

DEFINITELY....

Your profile is your advertising. You are telling your potentials what kind of person you are. {in my case; yes irreverent, politically incorrect, cheeky but just a little bit 'normal' handling the stressors of life }

I read badly written profiles [generally] in two ways; the writer has a) no brain cells to have made it through English in scholastic years, and b) is not serious about being on the dating site and are just wasting time....

I am very wary of anyone who writes in 'short'cuts... and if they send a message through in 'text type', it's a hard job to take an approach seriously. {yes, I do full text on my cell phone actually}

It is just the way I am wired.
 crustyold
Msg: 371
Posted: 10/8/2011 11:51:28 PM
damm, who found this........lol

a friend of mine, who i meet here on POF ...
said. bad spelling was a turn off,

& maybe it is, but if your looking to find a reason not too meet someone, i guess this is a OK, one....

bad spelling, who cares, badly done profiles, sounds like they did it themselfs, again, who cares.

its about the WHOLE peason....

funny pic;s maybe,
funny profile, aslo maybe

its how they hold & carry themselfs, & if they are ontime, clean & took some time in front of the mirror...

not if they misspelt, OMG, what are we comming too.....
 Femaelstrom
Msg: 372
Posted: 1/1/2012 3:33:06 AM
They are called ads, not adds. LOL. Ads is short for Advertisements. Adds is what a calculator does when you hit the + button.
 Julietsdestiny
Msg: 373
Posted: 1/1/2012 7:51:32 AM
It doesn't bother me.
Some people on POF are disabled litterally and they find it difficult to communicate.
They do the best they can.
Other's are drug f**ked and continue on their merry way.
Not everyone is perfect!
 annie_nsw
Msg: 374
Posted: 1/2/2012 12:36:27 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say bad spelling is a turn off though for me it is more an indicator of the level of seriousness the writer has and maybe an indicator of how much of an effort he would put into a friendship/relationship.
 Tah,
Msg: 375
Posted: 1/2/2012 6:31:59 AM
can i spell lol in a manner indictive of the last posters standards?
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Bad Spelling in forums / profiles - a real turn off ?