Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Bad Spelling in forums / profiles - a real turn off ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 greyingred
Msg: 376
view profile
History
Bad Spelling in forums / profiles - a real turn off ?Page 16 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
I canna (not bad spelling just scottish accent in text) believe this thread is still going. Agree with tinapenny......too many spelling mistakes means THICK AS A BRICK.
 aussiesealady
Msg: 377
Bad Spelling in forums / profiles - a real turn off ?
Posted: 2/11/2012 2:15:41 AM
i taike IT eye 'm nut tee furst pursun 2 b cunsurned aboot tis?

Rekin?
 Colemin8r
Msg: 378
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2012 3:57:31 AM
I think penmanship counts, but a deal-breaker? Admittedly, it does make me think twice.

I'm not sure if I'm the only person on the forums to do this, but when writing posts, I'll normally write it in the browser (Firefox) and there is an auto-correct constantly underlining my typographical errors, so when I re-read my post, it is quite easy to see any spelling mistakes that I have made. Don't know about IE - I haven't used that browser for a while.

Otherwise I will use Word or other WP to write my post and copy it into a reply given that if I have spent more than five minutes thinking/typing up a post, and I then hit the post button and the log-in screen comes up again, I think to myself "I hope everything I just wrote is still somewhere as I don't want to have to retype all of that again!"

But other issues such as the misuse of no/know; your/you're, to/too/two... that frustrates me.
 Frau Chilliknickers
Msg: 379
Posted: 2/11/2012 5:07:53 AM

Don't know about IE

It corrects typos.
This really peeves me, especially in profiles. make an effing effort to at least start a sentence with a capital letter.
 *purple4*
Msg: 380
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 3:50:41 AM
PMSL!!!! Love it that this thread got bumped....so many memories and friends here.....hope I spell inks this all right....
 crustyold
Msg: 381
Posted: 2/28/2012 11:10:08 PM
OMG................spelling................cart..............but have spell look now.............which means,

if it looks ok, its ok

a study has been done again..............if you get the first letter right, & the last, & maybe one or 2 in the middle, most people will get it...........

WrogermeWroger
Msg: 382
Posted: 4/8/2012 7:06:37 PM
REALLY great use of the language is a real skill - it's an art form.

It's just like constructing any great work of art, the combinations of topics, feelings, appraisals, grammar, vocabulary range, expressiveness, grammar, punctuation, depth and breadth of knowledge - while variety and creativity and beating up on the status quo is great and it is important, so are the uniform standards of high quality communication.

I had a Ginger - probably a day walker because of the amount of sun screen on in the photo, attack me with the, "txtng wrdz tht r sokol & ezy2 undrstnd coz im fkn sht" and I thought, "It's true - Gingers have no soul".

That is why I like writers of technical works from the 1700's to the end of the 1800's and the early to mid 1900's - because they KNEW how to WRITE well - in technically accurate conveyance of the meaning and intent.
 aussieblues
Msg: 383
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2012 8:45:40 PM
My kids call me the grammar police..Whilst I appreciate conversing with those who have a good grasp on the language, I don't discount those who do not. In the real world when meeting new people: I just accept people for who and what they are. We can't all communicate well via the written word. Once you get past the poor grammar, you can find some real gems. People who know lots about other things which don't involve the written word. My Father is virtually illiterate; yet he's the best Dad a woman could ask for & the best French Polisher.
Further, I feel that if someone takes the time to write to me on this site, it's only polite to reply in return. A person can certainly learn to write better, but one who sits in judgement of others will not learn much at all: based on such narrow precepts.
 tensail
Msg: 384
Posted: 5/3/2012 10:41:58 PM
yes it annoys insecure control freaks who dont live in v real world, ok back u go 2 uni miss spell phobia.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Bad Spelling in forums / profiles - a real turn off ?