Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Bad Spelling in forums / profiles - a real turn off ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 serenex
Msg: 76
Bad Spelling in forums / profiles - a real turn off ?Page 4 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
^^^^^^^^name the three different types of triangles??......... humungous, mediocre and itty bitty........ now wheres my free toaster?
 beachlife68
Msg: 77
Bad Spelling in forums / profiles - a real turn off ?
Posted: 9/6/2007 4:51:44 AM
ummmmm will run with madame lacquers am afraid serenex ... so no toaster but we do have a copy of the latest Clintbeachy Movie ....
 beachlife68
Msg: 78
Posted: 9/6/2007 4:54:05 AM
Clintbeachy does Townsville!!!
 jannick06
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2007 4:56:09 AM
um they are scalene,equilateral,isosoceles
no I am not a smarty pants my maths teacher was a hottie so I love learning
 beachlife68
Msg: 80
Posted: 9/6/2007 4:58:39 AM
sorry jannick but obtuse has to be in there .... I have $50 riding on it
 serenex
Msg: 81
Posted: 9/6/2007 4:59:41 AM
Bunch of squares
 obhwhitedragon
Msg: 82
Posted: 9/6/2007 5:01:17 AM
if there was a spill check on here I would do much better....
 Lacrymosa
Msg: 83
Posted: 9/6/2007 5:03:51 AM
Pmsl..."there's no right angles in my life" - Ben Lee....
 jannick06
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2007 5:03:52 AM
stinky boy Bullies
 serenex
Msg: 85
Posted: 9/6/2007 5:04:22 AM
Dragon normally "spill checks" are done at a bar around 3 am
 jannick06
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2007 5:05:16 AM
that's splat checks and slober checks
 likes_a_laugh
Msg: 87
Posted: 9/6/2007 5:15:27 AM
Percussion triangle (ding ding ding)
Devil's triangle (mayday, mayday, ma...)
Luuurve triangle (I love you love, she love me true love, I love you love me love...)
 beachlife68
Msg: 88
Posted: 9/6/2007 9:49:22 PM
ok sorry I hijacked that thread or moved it off topic .... sorry guys Bad Beachy. Glad everyone can spell triangle
 atalia
Msg: 89
Posted: 9/6/2007 10:03:01 PM
bad speelink juz miks it morrr intrestn ta worc owt wot peeple r sayng

hey dragon
 obhwhitedragon
Msg: 90
Posted: 9/6/2007 11:26:44 PM
''''bad speelink juz miks it morrr intrestn ta worc owt wot peeple r sayng

hey dragon ''''''''''

thanx atalia, there will be a little something more under your pillow tonight
 innoccent man 52
Msg: 91
Posted: 9/17/2007 5:35:05 AM
i thrk ir if importent two spelf writa caude went ni wae we say lol ha ha ha yes you should have some idea how to spell, makes reading wat u have to say a whole lot easier to read,, lol
 JustMe036
Msg: 92
Posted: 9/17/2007 7:14:31 PM
MMMMMMMM.... Leaves me with 2 thoughts actually... One they just typed too quick and didnt bother to take the time to check or secondly they do have a spelling problem... Either way no-one is perfect so who am I to judge?... There are more significant things in one's profiles to amuse me than their spelling problems...
 Cinder_ella
Msg: 93
Posted: 9/17/2007 7:47:12 PM
Bermuda Triangle - a place where there are lots of missing sailors and missing socks
Golden Triangle - a place nobody remembers going to even if they did go there
Triad - naughty asian men
 ebgdae
Msg: 94
Posted: 9/17/2007 9:28:09 PM
spelling,,, schmelling,,,, who cares?
 Simply_Because
Msg: 95
Posted: 9/18/2007 9:35:08 AM
A comparison:

Original

you would diss someone because they couldnt spell
some of the best minds of all time could neither write or spell
thank goodness people of the time didnt disrespect them

Corrected

You would diss [<< acceptable slang term] someone because they couldn’t spell?! Some of the best minds of all time could neither write nor spell; thank goodness people of the time didn’t disrespect them!

I hardly think that the "best minds of all time" couldn't spell due to apathy not to use correct punctuation or sentence structure. Everyone here has knowledge of the basic fundamentals of English grammar and access to a dictionary or spellchecker, so plainly deciding not to type correctly is unacceptable in my opinion.

Threads on this forum can go on for over a hundred pages and it’s insulting to expect anyone to care about someone’s indecipherable post when lost amongst so many others of its ilk. The majority of users here have access to at least one working arm and have all the time they need to compose a clear response so there is no just-excuse for idleness.

So in answer to the topic question: Yes. If someone is too lazy to attempt a competent level of spelling and grammar then I know whole-heartedly that they are not worth my time. How can anyone justly trust their lives to somebody who has the apathy not to use capital letters or full-stops?! On a site where typed messages are the primary form of communication it’s a ridiculous assumption to presume that anything other than a person’s best effort is acceptable.
 Lacrymosa
Msg: 96
Posted: 9/18/2007 2:47:17 PM
Original

Threads on this forum can go on for over a hundred pages.

Corrected

Threads on this forum can go on for over twenty-seven pages

OT

When you enter into a public domain, you should expect to meet all different kinds of people. They will have varying levels of education, both curricular and life. To expect that every single person will have perfect spelling and grammar is unrealistic. For me, it's more about what the person has to say, rather than if they have semi-colons in the correct position or how they spell it.

Simply_Because
Msg: 97
Posted: 9/18/2007 6:41:07 PM

Threads on this forum can go on for over twenty-seven pages

Huh? Is this a joke that's slipped past me? Just to clarify, I was talking about threads like this one which is currently at 156 pages in length: http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts7329095.aspx

When you enter into a public domain, you should expect to meet all different kinds of people. They will have varying levels of education, both curricular and life. To expect that every single person will have perfect spelling and grammar is unrealistic. For me, it's more about what the person has to say, rather than if they have semi-colons in the correct position or how they spell it.

This is a perfectly reasonable opinion but there are times when it fails: In the forums when a person attempts to claim their opinion as infallible through a boasting of their intelligence yet manages to spell simple words incorrectly and fails at basic grammar, they come off sounding like an idiot. For me, the same applies to people who, for example, use commas for ellipses, type solely in text-speak shorthand (‘wud’, ‘ov’ etc) or those who manage to misspell plurals in one sentence posts (‘women’ / ‘woman’ etc). In the last example, if people are unable to check a post of one sentence in length for errors then, to me at least, it tells me that these people are incautious and as such I wouldn’t trust them with the vulnerable parts of my life if they displayed romantic feelings towards me.

I appreciate the fact that people of varying regions have alternate spellings for certain words, and that comprehensive English grammar is a largely an uneducated medium which can often be argued upon and accepted as an individuals writing style, but there are limits; if a person knows that the post they have written is full of spelling errors then they should seek out an English spellchecker and run their post through it to it make readable for its English speaking audience. As I have already stated, it’s unfair to assume that ten-thousand-plus people should be the ones to identify what a person is trying to say due to that person’s apathy.

I admit that I myself am not perfect – I don’t pretend to be. But I sure as Hell try to do my best. I just wish others would do the same.
 Lacrymosa
Msg: 98
Posted: 9/18/2007 7:35:20 PM
Rated10, this is the Australian forums and the longest thread on here is 27 pages. We debate here and everyon's opinion is valid and relevant. That's the point of forums. We all try to value others' opinions here and I personally don't care whether they spell it right or not.

I do understand that it can annoy some people and that's the topic of the forum. I just find it unrealistic that you would expect on a medium such as this that we would all be English majors?

Some people may not be able to spell well, but their points are often valid and sometimes show great insight into the topic being discussed. I don't see this as making them sound like an idiot just because it's not spelt perfectly.
 Simply_Because
Msg: 99
Posted: 9/19/2007 1:28:44 AM

Rated10, this is the Australian forums and the longest thread on here is 27 pages. We debate here and everyon's opinion is valid and relevant.

The Australian board is a subdivision of the Worldwide boards, which in turn compromise part of the POF forums. They are not a separate forum from POF itself and so I didn’t count them as such. And, yes, everyone’s opinion is valid and relevant, but in order for a written opinion to be understood then firstly it needs to be read, and if a post doesn’t confirm to even a basic standard of English or logic (due to misplaced words) then it can’t be read and thus loses its basic intentions.

I just find it unrealistic that you would expect on a medium such as this that we would all be English majors?

I don’t expect that. What I do expect though is at least the writing level of a pre-pubescent teenager: i.e. capital letters, full-stops, question marks after a question etc. Some spelling errors I can stand, but the vast majority of people on this forum have access to a spellchecker of some kind so it’s incredible for me to believe that so few of them are willing to run their posts through one before posting. Instead they seem quite prepared to make other users decipher what they were attempting to say when using their deficient English. It’s an unfair and unnecessary practice that shouldn’t be happening on a forum with so many boards and users.

Again, my main discourse with the spelling and grammar level by users on this website comes down to lethargy; the fact that most cannot be bothered to attempt to write correctly. When compared to other forums that I frequent where there are people aged just fourteen typing posts that are intelligent and grammatically accurate, it’s a kick in the teeth to come back here and see forty-plus year olds posting one-line responses on their higher level of maturity that lack even the basic fundamentals of English grammar.

Some people may not be able to spell well, but their points are often valid and sometimes show great insight into the topic being discussed. I don't see this as making them sound like an idiot just because it's not spelt perfectly.

My original statement on that matter was directed towards individuals who will try to bite down other users opinions on a subject by bragging about their own qualifications and IQ, yet manage to spell words like ‘intelligence’ incorrectly. There’s no denying that they come off sounding stupid.
 atalia
Msg: 100
Posted: 9/19/2007 2:25:07 AM
so is 'spelled' correct or 'spelt' correct?
no googling now!!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Bad Spelling in forums / profiles - a real turn off ?