Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Bad Spelling in forums / profiles - a real turn off ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Cinder_ella
Msg: 76
Bad Spelling in forums / profiles - a real turn off ?Page 4 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
Bermuda Triangle - a place where there are lots of missing sailors and missing socks
Golden Triangle - a place nobody remembers going to even if they did go there
Triad - naughty asian men
 ebgdae
Msg: 77
Bad Spelling in forums / profiles - a real turn off ?
Posted: 9/17/2007 9:28:09 PM
spelling,,, schmelling,,,, who cares?
 Lacrymosa
Msg: 78
Posted: 9/18/2007 2:47:17 PM
Original

Threads on this forum can go on for over a hundred pages.

Corrected

Threads on this forum can go on for over twenty-seven pages

OT

When you enter into a public domain, you should expect to meet all different kinds of people. They will have varying levels of education, both curricular and life. To expect that every single person will have perfect spelling and grammar is unrealistic. For me, it's more about what the person has to say, rather than if they have semi-colons in the correct position or how they spell it.

Lacrymosa
Msg: 79
Posted: 9/18/2007 7:35:20 PM
Rated10, this is the Australian forums and the longest thread on here is 27 pages. We debate here and everyon's opinion is valid and relevant. That's the point of forums. We all try to value others' opinions here and I personally don't care whether they spell it right or not.

I do understand that it can annoy some people and that's the topic of the forum. I just find it unrealistic that you would expect on a medium such as this that we would all be English majors?

Some people may not be able to spell well, but their points are often valid and sometimes show great insight into the topic being discussed. I don't see this as making them sound like an idiot just because it's not spelt perfectly.
 atalia
Msg: 80
Posted: 9/19/2007 2:25:07 AM
so is 'spelled' correct or 'spelt' correct?
no googling now!!!!
 ebgdae
Msg: 81
Posted: 9/19/2007 2:32:52 AM
^^^trick question!

wrong on both counts

It's 'spelded'!
 atalia
Msg: 82
Posted: 9/19/2007 2:34:17 AM
geez and all this time I was spellink it spell'd
 Lacrymosa
Msg: 83
Posted: 9/19/2007 3:12:18 AM
Oy! its gotta be spalt? or spald?>>>>>>&^%$$#@!!

Your profile was an extremly interesting read Rated10....couple o real interestin reads in your forum posts there you landlubber.....arrrrrr
 ebgdae
Msg: 84
Posted: 9/19/2007 3:24:01 AM
aaaarrrrrrrrgh,,,

if'n we catch any good spellas in da pirate thread we brand deir tungs and break deir typen fingas,

aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgh
 atalia
Msg: 85
Posted: 9/19/2007 3:25:39 AM
Arrrr hard to rite and spel proper wid a hook fer a hand....... dang croc!
 Lacrymosa
Msg: 86
Posted: 9/19/2007 3:26:18 AM
Arrr yea periwinkle!!!!

Put him in the brig til he's sober......

I love bein a pirate!!!!!!
 Cinder_ella
Msg: 87
Posted: 9/19/2007 4:02:14 AM
Yeah well, if you guys can't can't get your spellification right, what hope is there?
 Lacrymosa
Msg: 88
Posted: 9/19/2007 4:04:23 AM
Ahh Cinders...we be forever doomed to the backwards Aussie Forums....in the grand scheme of POF.....
 obhwhitedragon
Msg: 89
Posted: 9/19/2007 4:04:58 AM
''''''''''what hope is there''''''''''''''

all hope is gone, just take me as i am............
 Lacrymosa
Msg: 90
Posted: 9/19/2007 5:25:24 AM
^^^lol dragon...we b k Tobias the Bald.......

We love u just the ay u are......
 Lacrymosa
Msg: 91
Posted: 9/19/2007 6:11:14 AM

naver hurt women love sex she naver fill pain in side no difrent virgin or not vagina like pipe hole and penis is look like runing water in side pipe thay fill nathing if any women said she hurt thats all rubish

Translation - I would never hurt a woman that loved sex, She would never feel pain because a penis and vagina fit together....and something about water pipes in there but I reckon I got it....

And this person probably typed this from their heart which can't be bad....
 Lacrymosa
Msg: 92
Posted: 9/19/2007 6:19:24 AM
Don't panic bout the water pipes stormy...pmsl.....
 Faux Pa
Msg: 93
Posted: 9/19/2007 7:11:43 AM
Occasionally on these forums I leap onto a band wagon . . just for the ride, you understand.
Sometimes from way up on the high ones, you can see some funny stuff.

On a site where typed messages are the primary form of communication it’s a ridiculous assumption to presume that anything other than a person’s best effort is acceptable.

I prefer decent spelling and grammar but I'd stop short of placing some kind of expectation on it.

Thank you. I copied it from a VCR manual a few months ago at about three in the morning whilst listening to a lot of weird music....

But here's the rub . . for me anyway.
If we agree that 'typed messages are the primary form of communication', then how could we excuse the fact that a profile has no bleeding content! I expect it's all spelled (spelt?) correctly though, so that's OK.
 Faux Pa
Msg: 94
Posted: 9/19/2007 10:18:29 AM

Why not?

Quite simply . . tolerance.

Some other forums do. Unlike POF they understand that on a forum where the sole content is English prose that it's in its member’s best interests to make posts as legible as possible in order to avoid confusion and discussions convoluted by unreadable content.

Understood, but I think we must make allowances for those with lesser English skills than may be perceived as mandatory.
Indeed, we have some posters that appear to have, dare I say, challenged English skills, but for all I know, they may paint like Pablo Picasso.
I couldn't paint a picture to save myself, so I find it appropriate to practice a little tolerance. In fact, while I have a preference for decent English, I feel the tolerance is mandatory.

You appear to have my intentions confused: My profile wasn't created as a means of communication; this is why I am not communicating anything with it.

Nah, I don't think I have your intentions confused. I'm sure it's apparent I was deliberately juxtaposing those two statements in order to highlight the inconstancies. That is . . what's the point of perfect English, if there is no actual information being exchanged. But anyway . .

And either ‘spelt’ or ‘spelled’ is fine. They’re both past-tense verbs that hold the same meaning.

Yes, I did read that in a previous post. It was a little attempted humour on my part.
 SergeantOz
Msg: 95
Posted: 9/19/2007 3:40:57 PM
"Youse don giv us bad spellas a go `ay. Them guv`ment trainin` wuns are how youse dunno what I am sayin` to youse. Me kids go to tha guv`ment skools so youse wil fink weese not sum dumb blokes ay".
 Lacrymosa
Msg: 96
Posted: 9/20/2007 7:24:13 AM

Now, my dispute with these practices isn’t that the written English isn’t perfect but that through a blatant disregard for common errors they assist in slowing down the pace of the forums by placing responsibility on other users to make sense of broken English instead of being able to read a post straight off the page as each person should be able too.

I woulda put commas before and after "but" and "errors". Then a full stop after forums then a capital "This places...."

For example, when two sentences run together because a user hasn’t bothered to include a period or capital letters in their post it takes the person reading at least twice the time it should take for them to understand what is being said as they are being dealt the responsibility of correcting the post themselves upon finding the inconsistency in the person’s text.

Man....,,,,,that sentence is WAAAAYYYY tooo long.....and I am not gonna say anything....I could correct it all but I really am over it......
 obhwhitedragon
Msg: 97
Posted: 11/22/2007 2:12:02 AM
we ahve a post ear for every moment..

women
 serenex
Msg: 98
Posted: 11/22/2007 2:14:43 AM
You know drags one of the rocky twins wont be far away....Spelling nazis
 obhwhitedragon
Msg: 99
Posted: 11/22/2007 2:15:51 AM
O yer......

they would give me heaps over this..............

but what the hell.......
 Fairybread
Msg: 100
Posted: 11/22/2007 5:39:59 AM

How about people who SpElL lIkE tHiS iN tHeRe PrOfIlEs ? Does that annoy you too ?

Hell yeah! Especially when they don't know the difference between there and their.

I will tell you Sergeant. There as how you wrote it is a position, like over there.

When one is talking about a profile, such as their own it is spelled this way. THEIR!

Get it right please. Because it is becomming a turn off!
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Bad Spelling in forums / profiles - a real turn off ?