|Comfort foodsPage 3 of 6 (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)|
|I forgot stroganoff. I'm going to make some tomorrow with Swedish meatballs. I've been jonesing for this for a LOOOOOOONG time. Was just waiting for the crisp cool weather to come in.|
Posted: 11/6/2007 3:30:16 PM
Its a habit im trying very hard to break
Posted: 12/28/2007 11:53:48 AM
|1 large orange|
44 coffee beans
44 sugar cubes
1 bottle (26 oz) Vodka (be sure to save the bottle)
Pierce orange with wooden skewer and stud with all 44 coffee beans. Drop into large glass jar with tight fitting lid. Add the 44 sugar cubes and pour in the Vodka. Cover tightly and shake well. Keep in a dark place (not fridge). Shake well every day for 44 days.
On 45th day, discard orange and pour back into Vodka bottle. If there is a bit left over, well, what the heck, just drink it. Delicious and ready for Christmas.
Posted: 12/28/2007 11:54:28 AM
|Gods I have so many. rofl..|
Potatoes with butter,gravey, sour cream anything else I can think to add to them..
Fresh bread hot out of the oven with butter on it.
Posted: 12/29/2007 7:19:01 AM
Ditto on that!
Chicken pot pie
Homemade soups with homemade bread out of the oven
Chicken and dumplings
Garlic smashed potatoes with gravy
Popcorn (stovetop method) with butter mmmm
European black licorice - the saltier the better..
..forgive me, I'm drooling on my
Posted: 6/10/2008 8:09:20 PM
|OMG...where to begin!!!!!|
1. Mid-Atlantic/PA Dutch food (Boar's Head makes a very poor version of Lebanon Bologna and that is ALL we get down here!). If you people from HEB are reading this, I highly recommend you check into Seltzer or Baum. That is what we really eat in PA! No one eats Boar's Head Lebanon Bologna there!
2. Tex-Mex...if you can't find it in Galveston, where can you find it?
3. Cajun.....just across the ferry to Bolivar Peninsula and up I-10 and you can have the real thing! :)
4. My Mom's strawberry shortcake! Think of humongous radioactive sized California strawberries...yum!
5. Anything with Old Bay or LA Hot Sauce, potato chips included...especially if they are Herr's or Utz's (you can find them in PA). All that sodium will make you bloated for a good week!
6. Ckicken Fried Steak, mashed potatoes, gravy....you get the picture!
7. A good steak on the grill...now we can die happy!
8. A good potroast with all the vegetables......a winter gastronomical event!
9. My daughter's cakes and cookies..........she is the queen of baking sheets!
10. Good Seafood (and I know my seafood!)
And there you have it....my top ten gastronomical list! Ummmmmm....the previous poster's vodka recipe would be on the top 10 alcohol list!
Posted: 6/11/2008 2:15:06 AM
|Didnt go to work today because of a nassssty tummy bug (thats what working with kids does for you!!) but still I can think of comfort foods... (insert best Homer drool pic here). Bear in mind I'm a veggo too. ... These are in no particular order of preference|
1. Veggie soup and dumplings
2. Home made macaroni/cheese
3. Chili (home made) on half an avo, covered in cheese, popped in the oven for 10 mins til cheese is bubbly-melty served with rice
4. Green lentil shepherds pie with onions carrots and peas and lashings of gravy
5. Colcannon and champ.. cabbage pie with veg bacon bits and onion topped with super creamy mashed spuds...
7. Cheese and herb omelette
8. My lentil roast served with fresh green beans, broccoli, stuffing, yorkie puds, roast spuds and gravy
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh i lurrrrrve food
Posted: 7/8/2008 1:32:11 PM
|I sleep in mashed potatoes......Very soft and fluffy.|
Posted: 7/8/2008 5:04:27 PM
|If I'm having a "really miserable, no good, bad, awful day" then nothing (except my SO) can make me feel better than diving into a mound of really great barbeque, potato salad, cole slaw. Possibly throw in some fried chicken and/or greens and it has a tendency to make life much more tolerable. And given that this mood is probably a "calories be d*mned" one, finish it all up with either pecan pie or carrot cake. |
On a snowy day there's nothing better than curling up in front of the fireplace with a bowl of home made lentil or split pea soup and a bottle of dark beer or warm spiked cider.
Posted: 7/8/2008 9:18:31 PM
|A pint container of Ben and Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk Ice Cream thats hiding under the broccoli ~ Ha! my kids will never look there! |
Posted: 7/13/2008 11:39:44 AM
|My favorite comfort food is baked macaroni and cheese and fried chicken (and, since comfort is needed, a nice glass of Woodford Reserve.)|
Second favorite: nice big bowl of homemade chili (nice, chunky chili.)
I also like having breakfast for supper as comfort food (eggs, bacon, cheesegrits, toast.)
Posted: 7/14/2008 7:08:09 AM
|I love them all too. Not good for me but they do make me feel better.|
Posted: 7/26/2008 11:54:12 AM
|Oh, so many choices, so little time!|
My own home-made:
pasta e fagioli
baked mac n cheese
french onion soup
creamy hash browns
liver with bacon and onions, side of smashed potatoes and creamed corn
sweet potato pie
pork hocks simmered with long grain white rice and collard greens or dry landcress
strawberry-rhubarb pie with vanilla ice cream
uh-oh, I was about to go grocery shopping. Maybe I'd better wait a while.
Posted: 3/5/2009 12:56:50 PM
|warm chocolate chip cookies|
split pea soup
fried perch and beer
grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup
french vanilla ice cream
Posted: 9/19/2012 7:06:22 PM
meatloaf, mashed potatoes and over cooked green beans
chicken and drop dumplings
polish style stuffed cabbage
Haluski with bacon
turkey sandwich with stuffing little mayo and cranberries
Posted: 9/19/2012 7:20:15 PM
|you got me on the liver and onions. My mom made the best liver, bacon, and onions. also stewed chicken and dumplings, and my moms meatloaf and scalloped potatoes.|
Posted: 9/20/2012 9:44:11 AM
|I also think :|
homemade mac and cheese
homemade rice pudding
homemade apple pie and whipped cream/vailla ice cream
toad in the hole(u guessed it homemade)
beet rolls (always me feel better lol)
are all good comfort foods too but if its the canned /store bought stuff they just dont give the same vib anyone else feel this way??
Posted: 9/21/2012 8:44:46 AM
|Chipped Beef on toast with a milk gravy|
Homemade 4 cheese macaroni, finished off in the oven.
Definitely Chicken and Dumplings!!!
Ohhhh, so many choices.....
Posted: 9/21/2012 12:22:43 PM
|Hamburgers, pizza, chinese food, fried chicken, mac and cheese.|
Posted: 9/28/2012 6:55:42 PM
|Shrimp Pad Thai|
Smoke Mac and Cheese
Fried chicken wings with rance dip
Sweet and Sour Kielbasa
Orange Ch icken
Roast corn with Avacado Salad
Coffee Ice Cream with Chocolate sauce
Cinnamon Buns with Cinnamon Frosting
Barbecue Ribs with sweet orange slaw
Posted: 10/9/2012 4:48:49 PM
|An ex of mine said that a cucumber was more comfortable than a carrott|
Posted: 10/12/2012 10:05:21 AM
|Slow cooked beef and root veg stew|
Mashed potatoes with/ without cabbage
Curry,curry and curry
Chilli con carne
Rich creamy sauces
Steak and chunky chips
Roast beef/ turkey dinners,with the trimmings
Heinz tomato soup plus toast
Scrambled eggs on toast
Hmm Feel hungry now...
Posted: 10/27/2012 6:18:01 AM
|Soup in the Winter. My favorite is Clam Chowder with crackers. It reminds me of my childhood.|