Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > what do guys think of girls who take antidepressants?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Peter52356
Msg: 51
what do guys think of girls who take antidepressants?Page 3 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)

A person living with clinical depression, or "major depression disorder" (DSM-IV), is dealing with a brain chemistry issue and while counselling helps, only medication can balance out the chemical misfirings.

I have to disagree with you there.

Even a person with clinical depression can change how they feel by actively participating in their own recovery. It does not always mean medications have to be involved. Some people just find it easier to function with medications.

Darkstorm152....... what is a " bipolar" never heard that word before

He's referring to Bi-Polar Disorder, if you'd like to read more about the subject, go to...

www.Bipolar.com

There can be many different causes for depression.

Like the commercial they've been doing lately for Cymbalta says...."Depression hurts". Depression can physically hurt you.

If you are having problems with depression, seek professional help on the subject, and get diagnosed. Or if you are already diagnosed, work on your personal plan towards recovery.

A lot of disorders can cause depression, but only a professional can diagnose. (And not all doctors are good, it is best to get multiple opinions.)

To the OP.

Anti-depressent use would not bother me in the slightest, but I'm much better informed about the reasons for the uses of them, than a lot of the public.

I myself have Bi-polar Disorder, and have been off and on medications most of my life. (Currently off...)

Like another person said, I also would not want someone with no affect. If you are overly medicated and acting like a zombie, then it's time to revisit your doctor and suggest a new form of treatment. (My ex's father took a massive****ail every night that would literally knock him out.)

Now if you are always emotional, and never able to be happy with yourself, then why should anyone be happy with you?

Just things to think about.

I personally wouldn't have a problem if my SO chose to be on anti-depressents. Because if you can find the one that works for you, and helps you, then that's a plus for you.
 ladyc4
Msg: 52
what do guys think of girls who take antidepressants?
Posted: 6/27/2007 9:19:41 PM
Oh but could you just imagine the rage if someone suggested that nearly everyone who needs medication for diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, COPD, did something to CAUSE their medical issues? They didn't eat right, drank or smoked too much, didn't handle stress well, didn't get enough exercise...or if a senior citizen suffering from dementia, it was because they didn't get enough of the right kind of MENTAL exercise and stimulation.
So by all means, if you are looking to date, avoid people on medication for "physical" ailments, because most likely it was something THEY DID that caused it...
Now doesn't that sound just plain STUPID??
I too take an antidepressant for fibromyalgia. If that scares guys, so be it. The last thing I need in my life is a judgemental, small minded,chickensh*t guy....
Even if there WAS a pill for them!!
Cindy O
 UR4ME?
Msg: 53
Posted: 6/27/2007 9:37:45 PM

Even a person with clinical depression can change how they feel by actively participating in their own recovery. It does not always mean medications have to be involved. Some people just find it easier to function with medications.

While I appreciate what you are saying my statement was "only medication can balance out the chemical misfirings". Actually, you cannot stop the chemical misfirings within the brain through positive thinking or counselling.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 54
Posted: 6/27/2007 9:42:59 PM
^^^So true. I was with someone who was unaware that he had a "problem." One trip to the MD and a perfect fit of meds and he was a new person. Like it or not, meds have their place. For those who don't agree ~ fine. Just hope that should the need ever arise, you are with someone who is open-minded enough to understand that you have a problem that is treatable, even if not curable. Personally ~ I'll keep my meds. If someone would rather watch me be in a state of panic to the point of tears, he's not the man for me anyway.
 Peter52356
Msg: 55
Posted: 6/27/2007 9:46:33 PM

While I appreciate what you are saying my statement was "only medication can balance out the chemical misfirings". Actually, you cannot stop the chemical misfirings within the brain through positive thinking or counselling.

How do you know? Are you one of the leading brain scientists? Have you tested this?

How do you know that actively changing your thought processes cannot change how your brain functions?

I don't claim to know everything, and I'm no expert, but I also don't believe there is "only" one solution to any problem.
 officefan
Msg: 56
Posted: 6/27/2007 10:06:29 PM
You can't judge someone for taking a medication!
I've been on many for a problem I have. Most are used more commonly for different problems.
I got embarrassed being on a few of them because if someone knew what I was on, they would instantly think they know my problem. And they would be wrong.

Plus, no one is perfect, even physically. I find that those that have experienced medical adversity to be very compassionate people and often more understanding of others' problems. So I find that a medical problem to be a very large plus in a person's personality. Of course I don't want anyone to have problems, but good often comes out of the bad.
 idioms
Msg: 57
Posted: 6/27/2007 10:07:23 PM

Prudegirl, bayrab, PGIsailor, indigoeyes, writerguy1975, shanmardev, verygreeneyez, freefallinT. I notice that all of you stated NO to the "Do you do drugs?" section of the profile. Although the drugs you take are legal and prescribed I think it is important to let people know you are taking them.

This from a guy who says in his profile he has no issue with Mary Jane.
 UR4ME?
Msg: 58
Posted: 6/27/2007 10:10:24 PM

How do you know? Are you one of the leading brain scientists? Have you tested this?
How do you know that actively changing your thought processes cannot change how your brain functions?

I don't mean to be rude, but you need to pay attention to what is being said. I did not say anything about "brain function", that is a huge area that we know very little about. I said "brain chemistry", which is not a mystery to us. For example, when our brain is "firing off" too much cortisol, positive thinking is not going to stop that. Too much cortisol can cause stress or panic; it needs to be balanced out. As I have told some clients to help them understand, when your house is on fire you don't try to talk the fire out.

As far as my knowledge, it has been both my field of study and work for a very long while.
 neil89
Msg: 59
Posted: 6/27/2007 10:15:29 PM
It just amazes me at the amount of women who have fibromyalgia on the dating sites which makes me think there is a something out there that is causing all of it, like tick bites or something else.

All of the people taking antidepressants and they pass the medicine thru them in the bathroom and all of the wildlife downstream in the rivers must be feeling pretty good.
 Suelynnslovecafe
Msg: 60
Posted: 6/27/2007 10:28:20 PM
I don't believe that antidepressants are very effective. A lot of depressions are caused by our general dissatisfaction about our lives. I have found an attitude of gratitude and compassion for other people can cure a lot of depressions.
 Peter52356
Msg: 61
Posted: 6/27/2007 10:36:15 PM
I did not say anything about "brain function", that is a huge area that we know very little about. I said "brain chemistry", which is not a mystery to us.

So you are trying to imply that your brain function has no effect whatsoever on brain chemistry? Wow.

Your logic fails me.

I think you just made my point for me.

Changing thought processes can change the way your brain functions, which can, as far as we know, alter the brain chemistry. So my statement stands.

A person living with clinical depression, or "major depression disorder" (DSM-IV), is dealing with a brain chemistry issue and while counselling helps, only medication can balance out the chemical misfirings.

I have to disagree with you there.

If one of the top scientists in the brain field would like to show me I'm wrong, then by all means, show me. I can admit I'm wrong.
 redsn0_0
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2007 10:38:32 PM
well theres a bit of me that says yes "thank god you are on them and please don't ever lose your meds!!" but the other part tells me well whats gonna happen if i combined my genes with hers.. what will happen with the kids!! i think thats one of the big things i think about before getting into any "Real" relationships
 Peter52356
Msg: 63
Posted: 6/27/2007 10:44:39 PM

but the other part tells me well whats gonna happen if i combined my genes with hers

Ever bothered to consider what will happen if you didn't combine your genes with anyone?

Then your genes would become obsolete, and no longer needed in the gene pool. Bye bye.
 dbndon
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2007 10:45:02 PM

<div class="quote"> just curious, how many men think antidepressants are a deal breaker?

Hopefully, no one would! After all, there is a proper time and place (need) for everything, so let’s not play games with semantics by splitting hairs here.

Back in my earlier days as a research physiologist, I was involved in a couple interesting studies related to depression and other problems some today called mental illness. One focus of the study was to help people progress, through normal means, and, when the patient cooperated, it was often quite successful. Not always, though. Which means, sometimes major medication(s) was the only productive route to go.

Now, were I occasionally dating someone who was taking antidepressants, I would mention my background but then keep my big mouth shut unless she asked me for information. If asked, I would properly relate the information I know and, if she wished, provide references so that she may discuss what was said with her physician. (I am not a physician) But, if she’s happy with the treatment (and displays a good attitude), then I’m happy to dummy up and enjoy whatever time we have together. Simple as that.

Not so, though, for those who are running a complicated pharmacy on the side and gobbling pills like a treat, rather then a treatment. To me, that would be bothersome and I would, therefore, extricate myself from that situation quite soon.

Today, as a retired researcher, I’m more or less a champion of natural ways for treating mental and physical problems. But, I’m also one of the first to tell friends to see a physician when I see that there is a medical/mental problem that needs attention.

I mean, come on now; sometimes, during the stress and trials of life, someone may need a little short-term “help” (in the form of a pill), rather than the more involved lifestyle changes I often propose for ongoing problems. I can fully realize that and am quick to recommend it to close friends -- as a temporary treatment. Therefore, I’ll send them to their physician.

Oh . . . I have a very delightful young (alas, too young for me) woman friend who is on half the pharmacy of “mental” drugs (bi-polar, among other things). Because she is a good friend, I have provided her a lot of quality research information, which she has discussed with her psychologist and psychiatrist. They, in turn, called me (just her friend) and allowed me to suggest things. Some programs helped, and they reduced medications accordingly. But, as we all agree (at the moment), she may never function properly without medication. That’s just the way it is. But, she’s still a real sweetie.

So, to my alleged mind, anyway, it depends on who, why, when, and how they use the treatment(s) -- rather than just as a treat -- that counts. Usually, though, I’ll have no comment -- unless asked.

life_of_leisure
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2007 10:52:42 PM
> how many men think antidepressants are a deal breaker?

Raises hand.

> a lot of guys out there are wary of 'crazy' females...
> but isn't it better if we have it under control?

There's a faulty supposition in the second part of that somewhere. (What Lady_Kay and Suelynnslovecafe said)
 rsx11s
Msg: 66
Posted: 6/27/2007 11:02:01 PM
I think if they work, great, but it's still kinda scary to be honest, between side effects and remission and voluntary lapses If they dont, um....

I am somewhat alarmed at the % of people that are depressed. Have they been undiagnosed in the past or are more people today afflicted with this?

I think you just made my point for me.

No. You claim something and haven't backed up your assertion. It's up to you to do that not for anybody else to prove it's false. Perhaps that might work on say, anorexia or other eating disorders and perhaps in might even work in some percentage of depressive disorders. But you won't find what you suggest is a blanket cure in any credible medical literature that I'm aware of.
 Peter52356
Msg: 67
Posted: 6/27/2007 11:13:04 PM

But you won't find what you suggest is a blanket cure in any credible medical literature that I'm aware of.

Precisely. You won't find it supported, nor will you find it denied. Because we don't know.

Which is why, as a sufferer of depression myself, and having been working on my own recovery, I personally believe it is possible.

I'm currently on no medication, and haven't been for almost half a year, and I've been using cognitive therapy techniques to change my thought processes and been noticing a marked difference.

A lot of people out there believe medications are a "panacea" or "cure".

If they were a cure, then why couldn't you just simply take one, and it went away?

That's the definition of a cure isn't it?

I think what medications do, is allow you to "control" the behavior through changing/altering certain areas of the brain.

Did you know, that a lot of tests have been done, where they gave people placebos in place of actual pills, and they noticed a difference there also?

Which is why I think my idea holds water. I personally believe the human mind can fix itself, the same as the human body can fix itself with the immune system.

But I'm not a leading researcher, nor do I have access to a lab to test this hypothesis. Meh.

It'll stay how it is. But my point still stands.

Want me to back my assertion up more?
 j5rush
Msg: 68
Posted: 6/27/2007 11:48:58 PM

She recognized there was a problem with her mental state and she is taking care of it. Wouldn't be a deal breaker.

tk109
Msg: 69
Posted: 6/27/2007 11:49:17 PM
They are over prescribed and over abused. Especially by women. I think they can have their place after a major crysis for a bit. But they need to take them for a little while then get off them. Not use them as a crutch for life. But for the most part it's best to take other steps first. And they CAN make a difference without meds. Exercise, eat better, try to think more positive, have bright colors on walls, listen to positive music, watch positive movies. These things WILL make a difference. The problem I see with a lot of people in society for about anything is they will continue doing things that cause the problem and want to keep doing them but want a cure for any problems their course of life causes.

I personally dont want to date anyone on meds. Yes it is very noticable and problematic when a women is on meds. Get your head on streight and THEN go find someone. How is that fair to bring the problem into someone elses life?
 OleTimeMusic
Msg: 70
Posted: 6/28/2007 12:12:15 AM
it would not worry me at all if my lady was on anti D's, i use them myself.
even if i did not use them, it would not deter me from being with a lady who was.

any bloke who uses that as an excuse for not wanting to be with a lady, you would be better off without him anyway.
 UR4ME?
Msg: 71
Posted: 6/28/2007 2:33:59 AM
So you are trying to imply that your brain function has no effect whatsoever on brain chemistry? Wow

Are you serious? No. To make an easy comparison the "brain function" is the car and the "brain chemistry" is the gas. Brain function does everything, all the driving and the brain chemistry is just a very small part.

And I am going to try and say this one more time and please read it this time...I am talking about misfiring brain chemistry, not brain chemistry in general. When a panic attack begins you cannot talk the cortisol away.

You are just oversimplifying a complex problem.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2007 5:18:12 AM
Nope, it's not a deal-breaker. At least they're not BPD, and in denial about it. That's far worse.

To Lady Kay:

The medical profession (espcially in Canada) just doesn't have the time to deal with patients so they medicate them to the point where they can vaguely function then move on to the next case never fixing the problem that caused the depression in the first place. To fix depression means to re-examine who we are, to get physically active and to begin taking daily steps to move beyond the darkness - it can take months - it can take years - it isn't a quick fix.
This simply isn't true. Doctors work on a trial and error system, and we are the guinea pigs. If a mechanic said that he would try and fix your car, but couldn't guarantee that it is "well", and that it might break down on the freeway, he would be shot. They are simply not held up to the high standard that other practical trades are. The reason is obvious: doctors are not afraid of killing people. They are very rarely accused of either giving a bad treatment, or not administering a good one.

If we made doctors accountable for their actions, and paid them according to their efforts, and not their results, they would make such efforts as to guarantee their work, because finding solutions to an individual problem are a result of luck, but finding solutions to a lot of problems is a result of effort, open-mindedness, and a lot of research.

I am in the process of curing myself of Anxiety and Depression. Unfortunately, the doctors have no time, and little research in this subject, so I am forced to experiment with anything and everything, until I find the solutions that I need. Once done, I intent to publish a book, listing exactly the cures that I have found.

One is Cod Liver Oil, and vitamins. I have discovered the benefits of Omega-3 oils, and vitamins and minerals from healthy sources, such as fruits and vegetables, and supplementing them with vitamin tablets. I can actually tell you for a fact that once I started taking these pills, I started to naturally calm down, and found that my thinking got much clearer. In addition, now, until I take them, my head is full of anxiety, but once I take them, my head clears in about 20 minutes.

The placebo effect does not totally explain this behaviour, as in the intervening 20 minutes, I feel no different than before. Normal placebo effects will start almost immediately. Plus, other effects have resulted that were totally unexpected, such as an increased unwillingness to concede to others' wishes.

I am far from cured. But the situations wherein my depression has got worse are far from random, and the situations that made me more positive and outgoing are far from random, either. So I am sticking with what I know, and am trying to learn more, in order to get answers.
 MermaidMafia
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2007 5:30:42 AM
Scorpiomover, I think it's great you're trying to find natural alternatives to antidepressants. Since you're willing to try cod liver oil, I thought you might want to look into Emotional Freedom Techniques. It's based on the theory of acupuncture and I have no idea if it works. I haven't tried it myself. I have heard of others who swear by it though.
 Got Trance
Msg: 74
Posted: 6/28/2007 6:45:43 AM
I wonder. How many of you that are taking antidepressants and swear by them would not hesitate to suggest that your children might need to be medicated? " Doctor Smith, My son likes to dress in black, listens to strange music, and does not talk to me like he use to. Maybe he is depressed. Lets get him on medication."
While taking medication can work for some it is not the answer to all your problems.
 98quira
Msg: 75
Posted: 6/28/2007 6:50:15 AM
well theres a bit of me that says yes "thank god you are on them and please don't ever lose your meds!!" but the other part tells me well whats gonna happen if i combined my genes with hers.. what will happen with the kids!! i think thats one of the big things i think about before getting into any "Real" relationships

I think if you combined your genes with hers u may just end up having some awesome kids.! Many people suffering from anxiety disorders, for example, are highly succesful because they are very creative, very conscious and sensitive to the thoughts and needs of others, very good at anticipating situations, hard working and dedicated. The downside to having these qualities in high amounts is that if you are creative and good at anticipating, you are more likely to be able to imagine yourself in a scary situation. If you are very conscious and sensitive to the needs and thoughts of others, you may neglect your own needs and think thats others are having negative thoughts about you. Because you are hard-working and dedicated, you suffer from burn-out and feel like your work could always be better than it is. BUT the positive side of all these traits make very efficient and successful people that are valued in our society: have you ever noticed the amount of artists, celebrities, talented musicians etc who have problems OCD? Brilliance comes with a cost. I think you shouldn't write off people with disorders for those 'real' relationships.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > what do guys think of girls who take antidepressants?