Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > what do guys think of girls who take antidepressants?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 105
view profile
History
what do guys think of girls who take antidepressants?Page 5 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
I have no problem if someone needs medication. Kind of a small thing to judge someone on when you are looking for the right lady.
 indigoeyes
Msg: 106
How depressing!
Posted: 6/28/2007 6:12:55 PM
Ralph42...ignorance is NOT bliss...you need more help than all of us you singled out put together. You just keep shooting off your angry, bitter, hateful mouth about something you know absolutely nothing about. That will get you alot of dates.
 Sabrosura
Msg: 108
How depressing!
Posted: 6/28/2007 6:22:05 PM

Did I claim to have a medical degree? No.

My opinion is based on the observation of those that use medication. Like I mentioned, I actually know a couple of people for whom these pills have made a useful contribution to them living a normal life. For the rest, I see no good reason for the use other than to excuse their own lack of self-control. People have been around for how many millions of years? Yet all of a sudden half the population of this society needs pills to be normal? And excuse rotten behavior because of their self-proclaimed illness. How did humanity survive up to now? That's one smelly pile of BS, if you ask me. I don't think you need a MD to realize that.

Another uneducated response without any knowledge or education to support them.

GlamorouslyAwkward
Msg: 109
what do guys think of girls who take antidepressants?
Posted: 6/28/2007 6:40:14 PM

I understand from your past experience how you feel, but to say that someone that is on them should not be dating or trying to establish a relationship is not fair. I will unfortunately probably always be on them.. it is not that something has happened and I need to get through it.
It is a chemical imbalance and is simply the way I am made. So, should I just never get the chance to meet someone, just because I need them? At this point in my life I have nothing I need to work on about myself, nothing will change the fact that I need to take meds. Like I said before, it is just the same as any medical condition that requires medication to keep it in check.

Well, the flip side of the coin is, do I think my ex should be out getting into a relationship without medication or intense therapy? Nope!

There is a difference between taking meds, and not learning new coping skills. Life is all about learning, changing, and bettering ourselves not only as individuals but also as a collective whole. Where are the coping skills? We see on the news every night of murder suicides, mothers drowning their children... we are failing our own neighbors by not reaching out a helping hand and teaching valuable and viable coping skills. If our own families do not have good coping skills, of course we as grown children will not have them either. I've had a completely full life in terms of dealing with strife.... but I am here with viable coping skills, personal perspective, and love for myself and my children to know that we must not allow ourselves to be lead into a beautiful but false "Brave New World."

This is what works (i.e. coping skills) for my family. We are just us, and not anyone else. So what works for us probably won't work for another. But for me, I have five children, so if I am to find a helpmate I would need them not to be diagnosed with something that may end up hurting my children or myself in the long run.

Emmy
 dave1234
Msg: 110
view profile
History
How depressing!
Posted: 6/28/2007 6:57:26 PM
Verygreeneyez writes in msg 34,
I've had panic disorder most of my adult life ~ unless I feel the need I don't take any meds. If I feel the need, I not only take them ~ I say prayers in their honor. In other words, I'm a PRN person. The truth is, I've dated plenty and no one knew unless I mentioned it. I have never been on an anti-depressant drug, that isn't my problem. But, I've been with one or two men who needed them and weren't on them because of the closed-minded opinions of some ~ and the reality is: if you need it, take it. I have no issue if someone has a problem and is trying to solve it. Ignore the problem and it just remains a problem. Now where did I put that oxy-cotin? Oh, I don't have the good drugs....damn it.

I have them.

I know exactly what you mean by closed minded people, doctors included. I had a serious car accident, years ago, and suffered nerve damage due to a fractured spine. I continued to work while in constant pain. The doctors gave me an assortment of tranquilizers, anti-depressants and anti-convulsants ( purportedly good for pain) which did nothing for the pain but resulted in my walking around all day in a fog.

For two years I saw doctors recommended by the insurance company. Finally, I procured a family doctor. A couple of months of codeine pills and I felt like I was the walking dead so I said to the doctor, "When they amputate a person's leg, for example, they do not give the patient anti-depressants or anti-convulsants or those codeine pills I'm currently taking. What do they give the patient to stop the pain and why am I not taking whatever those pills are?"

He sent me to a doctor who specializes in pain and deals with cancer patients. The doctor listened to me for 10 or 15 minutes and then excused himself. He returned with a handful of pills, put them in a pill bottle, and passed the bottle to me.

"Take one and wait 12 hours", he instructed me. "If the pain didn't go away take two and wait 12 hours. Continue increasing the dosage by one pill every 12 hours until the pain goes away. When you have determined the correct dosage return to your family doctor and tell him what you need."

That was it. Two years of suffering ended with a 15 minute conversation with the right doctor. He gave me oxycontin.

I returned to my family doctor and he wrote out a prescription for what I needed. He explained I would become addicted to them. I replied, "What is the difference between my needing those for pain and a diabetic needing insulin? Whether addicted or not we both require our medication."

We had the mandatory talk about the Feds probably checking on both him and I because of the medication. That was over 10 years ago and while I can no longer do the limbo I can hold my own on the dance floor thanks to the medication.

There is nothing heroic nor noble about suffering needlessly. If a pill makes one feel better resulting in their functioning better then I question the mental state of anyone opposing their use. As I said before, "Better living through chemistry."
 Ralph42
Msg: 111
Depressed Women Seeking... Dates?
Posted: 6/28/2007 8:01:51 PM
@indigoeyes...

Take a serious look at your text. You have nothing but ad hominem arguments to present when actually challenged. See where the crackhead analog fits in now? Care to guess about my deal breaking perspective of mood altering drugs?

Anyway, I have this other rule: if a person can't play nice, I don't play.

@Sabrosura...

Ditto. Oh, and take note, I didn't say I was "uneducated" either or that my educated-ness did not have bearing. But, frankly, a half-wit can figure out that something's not right when the number of claimments of illness reach the proportions of those with depression. If half the population is depressed maybe being depressed is a normal part of life and doesn't need a pill. Of course, a "medical field" worker such as yourself probably knows that too -- I'm so sure.
 Seavoyage
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2007 8:24:10 PM
I would rather the woman take her medicine than not take it. I wouldn't want them depressed. I was dating a girl who was having some problems, and I encouraged her to see a doctor. She was thinking about it. She felt better. I had a family member who seriously needed to take something, but she wouldn't and would make life hell for everyone around. If it would make you feel happier than do it. I don't think most guys would really focus on that as long as the person didn't seem nuts or something which is not the case most of the time. Many guys get depressed, too. It happens to me sometimes. Then I have to meditate a lot, make sure I am taking my B vitamins, supplements, drinking lots of water...
 Sabrosura
Msg: 113
Ralph42
Posted: 6/28/2007 8:37:30 PM
"@Sabrosura...

Ditto. Oh, and take note, I didn't say I was "uneducated" either or that my educated-ness did not have bearing. But, frankly, a half-wit can figure out that something's not right when the number of claimments of illness reach the proportions of those with depression. If half the population is depressed maybe being depressed is a normal part of life and doesn't need a pill. Of course, a "medical field" worker such as yourself probably knows that too -- I'm so sure."

When you provide actual facts/resources/references with clinical trials and the whole nine yards on the subject matter.....that have actually been proven by those that DO KNOW what they are talking about (medical professionals) and not merely making uneducated "observations" I welcome the opportunity for you to educate us all.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 114
Posted: 6/28/2007 8:47:11 PM
There is nothing heroic nor noble about suffering needlessly. If a pill makes one feel better resulting in their functioning better then I question the mental state of anyone opposing their use.

Isn't that the truth. About 18 months ago I decided to go it without meds. By month 12, my family, friends, and even the dog were begging me to see the MD. I refused to leave home. I was mortified that I might panic outside of home, so I refused to go anywhere. How silly was that? 13 years of diagnosed panic and I think I can magically become cured by myself and lack of meds. Pft. My own intelligence went out the window and the sanity of everyone around me nearly did as well. It's hard to watch someone you love suffer. I was suffering and so was everyone else who knew me when I had medicine that took EVERY single symptom away.

And, I know what you mean about that 15 minute MD appt. I went to a new doc, told him this, that, blah blah blah ~ he said, "Well, let's stick with what works." Problem solved. A year of my life wasted because I was thinking I would suddenly have new DNA. Never again will I be that pig-headed or assinine.

For all of those that think anti-depressants are the same as "drug usage" ~ ***shaking head...loud sigh***** First of all, they are non-narcotic (if we are talking uptake or inhibitors) they don't render a feeling of "Wow, this is some good shiit here." and for those who do need them, not only do they restore some sort of quality of life, they may even save a life or two. I have the perfect way to solve this: when you find someone you'd like to date, send an application and a med release form. Get their med records from their MD and see what they take. All the anti-meds stick together ~ all the rest stick together. Simple solution. (Better yet, how about you just like someone for who they are today ?? Holy cow ~ what a concept. )

(Goodness folks, break a leg ~ you'll take an Advil or Vicodin ~ have screwed up chems in the brain and it damn well better fix it's own self.)
 Normalspeed
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2007 8:47:27 PM
i think its just fine. i would encourage her to not feel so defeated by the whole thing like the depressed seem to enjoy. soon as she says ADD, or goes on and on, i would break off any contact because it seems like an airy wall she is building up. oh, if she says depressive bipolar, i don't like her or associate either. so i would just tell her to keep that part of herself quiet.
 indigoeyes
Msg: 116
Posted: 6/28/2007 8:50:58 PM

Anyway, I have this other rule: if a person can't play nice, I don't play.

Follow your own rule and find a new pond to swim in.

meluvulongtime
Msg: 117
Posted: 6/28/2007 8:53:03 PM
You know some people truly need them to have a normal life. Sure some are more unstable than others but they probably need something just a little bit stronger. A huge portion of this country, or lets just say the world is on them. If it helps and adds to someones quality of life than it will definately benefit whoever has a relationship with that person. Depression can effect so many people, not just the sufferer. I personally take effexor and the effects seem so subtle to me, but to my family and friends they are unmistakable. I would never pre-judge anyone for doing what is neccessary to ensure that they enjoy life as the rest of us do. You only have one, so figure out what it's going to take to make it the best life for you and screw what anyone else thinks about it....just my opinion and it took me a long time to admit that maybe I couldn't do it on my own. Sometimes it just has to be that way. Don't suffer needlessly, because of pride or ignorance, get the facts and truly do your research. You might just need to get off your ass and exercise, or many other activities that will boost your endorphin and serotonin levels, some people are just wired differen't and that is all their is to it. I have had a few girlfriends though who were in need of something more than just little anti-deppressant meds. Needlessly to say those relationships are no more. Thank GOD!!!!!
 indigoeyes
Msg: 118
Posted: 6/28/2007 9:12:48 PM
vergreeneyez, Thanks for sharing your story. I can relate to everything you are saying as someone who has watched loved ones suffer and being someone who has struggled with this for over 25 years. Never did I think that 25 years later there would continue to be so much ignorance about this.
 idahosun
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2007 9:49:45 PM
Wow, seems like I jumped in the middle of this inane discussion. Someone who is depressed shouldn't be dating, or medicating or should we just throw all of the people with illnesses into the "pond" and let them drown. For gawd's sake people, get real! Depression, bipolar disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder etc. etc. etc. are illnesses just as cancer, diabetes, multiple sclerosis are. So those of you who sit in judgment of others who have legitimate problems had better hope that you never become depressed, experience the utter and absolute terrifying HELL of a panic attack or develop cancer, diabetes or any other disorder. I am astonished at the ignorance played out in this little space in cyberspace; but it is more than ignorance, it is also your lack of compassion for those who do not quite measure up to your pinnacle in the sky (spelled b***sh**) idea of what another human being should be. I know panic disorder is real, I know people suffer with it unlike any other problem you can imagine. Go to the psych ward at a local VA hospital and talk to the vets who have come back from any war with PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder to those of you who are uneducated but oh-so-judgmental) and find out first hand what a panic attack is like. Yeah, but those men and women are just throw-aways, right?? They don't belong in society and, gawd forbid, they should become better through chemical help (and probably counseling) and actually want to repair and retain their marriage or enter into a relationship. According to some of you ignorant people, they don't merit any treatment or any acceptance back into society. Shame on you, grow a heart and then get yourselves educated before you put your ignorance on display. And if you are so perfect that you cannot accept that others have flaws, then I wish you luck finding that perfect flawless mate
 ChrysalisEyes
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2007 10:03:27 PM
This is all quite interesting. The are as many reasons people take antidepressants as there are people. Some may need it more than others, but who's to be the judge of that? If you have a good doc, and they really know you... and feel it's safe to have you try one... and it helps? Am I missing something? Whatever helps, but yes you must address the mind matters and try to think your way out of as much as you can.
But you cannot deny ones genetics and neurochemistry... and each persons life issues, physical and emotional traumas they've endured... what those are and the effect is took on them.

It is often times chemical and sometimes cognitive, usually a bit of both. I have a good freind who has a drinking problem and I can tell you I'd rather have them on a PROPERLY diagnosed and prescribed, short or long term course of anti-depressants or some Xanax. That is now more socially acceptable and in my opion safer. Tell me how that is not a better alternative. Everyone has their vices, RX, Cigs, food, sex, religion, booze...

The reason there are more people taking them... they didn't exist before too long ago... not in this form, but other forms... herbs, potions etc. It wasn't too long ago you could get Opium and Codien OTC... and Coca Cola really did have Cocaine in it.... ZING! it was a 'refreshing tonic' . There are also more people on the planet now to take all these new meds. I took some for a while several years ago... and I probably needed them about 15 years ago and wish I had some then.

We can't ignore however, in all of this... that the drug companies are making a killing on these maybe somewhat overprescribed, but for sure overpriced forms of chemical therapy. But that's a whole other show!! I'm really looking forward to Michale Moores SICKO... Doesn't matter if you like him or not... this one's not political as it is more humanitarian. We need people to speak up... more watchdogs, truth tellers, question authority types.

Bottom line... I just think if you like someone you can talk about it and deal with it then. Just don't be too quick to judge unless you put yourself in their shoes, which you can't, so don't judge. You might need it sometime. But it shouldn't be the dealbreaker. If it's a hard case, you don't have to deal with that either. It's your choice. So if you wanna 'suck it up' go for it... if you wanna heal another way... go for it people. It's late.... my first post... thank you for your patronage.
 eb3267
Msg: 121
Posted: 6/28/2007 10:03:58 PM
bi polar or manic depressive

Remember people not all that are taking anti's have these ^^ problems..
 prudegirl
Msg: 122
Posted: 6/28/2007 10:47:59 PM
You guys have all been so awesome with your answers. Even the people who were against antidepressants were brave in sharing their thoughts. The idea that a person on antidepressants shouldn't be dating is actually SORT OF valid...in certain cases.

Perhaps this thread has made me think about myself and where I am in my life. Perhaps I shouldn't be dating for another year or so...I do feel I should at least try my life without them.

Thank you mostly to the brave souls who told us that panic attacks and 'imperfect' mental states are real and ****ing terrifying.

No one is perfect. I can't believe people think their mates should be. I don't want someone 'perfect'. I want someone real and true. That's what this thread has taught me.

thanks guys.
 Peter52356
Msg: 123
Posted: 6/28/2007 10:49:18 PM

bi polar or manic depressive

Remember people not all that are taking anti's have these ^^ problems..

Nor is having those something to be ashamed of, like so many people try and make it out to be.

Stigma is alive and well in today's society, and until more people recognize that fact, it will remain this way.

A lot of people compare their memories of someone with a disorder, and assume the worst.

The sad thing is, that what a lot of people don't realize, is that abuse, is a learned behavior, and is not even remotely applicable to these disorders, and so the stigma shows up because people jump to conclusions based on insufficient knowledge/evidence.

People who are depressed, or who panic, do not lash out and treat people badly. Most of them are unable to. If you'd ever been extremely depressed, you'd realize it's a struggle to even stand up, much less converse with someone, or have an argument, and as for a person who suffers from anxiety and panic attacks, a lot of them are too busy struggling with their own thoughts...trust me, I've had panic attacks...I know. (I had my worst one in front of all 6 managers at my previous job...during one of the "group meetings" they held on the weekends.)

You people who haven't experienced this, don't even know the sheer terror, the total blank out, the heart slowing, the feeling like time isn't even moving....trust me, you don't want to know.

I get sick of all the people who compare a past episode they had with someone that turned out badly, and then turn it around and blame it on someone else, or something else.

You hear people complaining about how "so and so" treated them so horribly, and it's because they had "such and such" wrong with them.

What I don't understand, is why people can't accept their own responsibility, and their own blame, and fault for what happened. Yes, someone treated you like crap, but you let them, and didn't stop it the first time it happened, or get out of the situation. Too many people stay in relationships, or even marriages where they are being abused, or treated with dis-respect, and they don't bother to realize that it's up to them to do something about it.

You cannot change anyone but yourself.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant, just got annoyed when I saw another post about how someone was treated badly, and they only got out of the situation when it got to it's worst breaking point.

I just don't understand why people can't learn to be accepting of others and treat people with dignity and honor and respect.

I can see when people purposely are trying to condemn, or accuse, or criticize, with baseless accusations, I can see those people losing the right to be respected, but I just don't understand why these basic rights that we as people deserve, are so often trodden upon.

Peace on Earth is something to be striven for, but I do not think we as a human race will ever achieve it, especially with people who cannot, or will not change themselves for the better.

At least there are people who are trying, and I give all of you who do strive to be better a great big and respectfully bow to all of you.
 prof48
Msg: 124
Posted: 6/29/2007 7:12:02 AM
To this day I would never again date someone who is on anti-depressants.

Last Left,
Unfortunately the issues you raise are as much, even more, symptoms of the illness than they are side effects of the medications used to treat it. Now I am not a big fan of medical dependency and I think those who advocate therapy over medication have many valid points, but, any person taking medication for depression is at least attempting to deal with the issue. In the situation you site, apparently the medication hadn't taken care of everything. Every thing you say tells me she was still depressed and that her medications were inadequate to her disease.

On the other hand no anti-depressant is likely to turn a woman into a nymphomaniac, but when used effectively they do bring men and women out of the "bland" world you describe. Odds are you did not have experience to compare her "antidepressant" stage with her pre-medication state. She just had a ways to go before she had recovered. Some make the transition, others do not. I have a good friend who has been on anti-depressants since college. Now I don't know her sexual inclinations, but I do know she leads a much more enjoyable life than before she was treated.

I have another highschool friend whose husband is on anti-depressants. It has made a world of difference. Prior to treatment the depressed guy used sex as one form of self treatment. Now he stayed loyal to the marriage but was driving her crazy. Now she tells me life is much easier. They may not have intimacy quite so frequently but the difference in quality is enormous and highly appreciated.
 prudegirl
Msg: 125
Posted: 6/29/2007 9:41:45 AM
I think it's so weird when men find out a girl's on antidepressants and blame all her character flaws on the pill.

My pill (100 mg wellbutrin) hasn't changed my character in the least. in fact, no one knows i'm taking it. if anything the only change they've noticed in me is my ability to finish my master's degree-something i was struggling with before.

I still like to do all the same things as before, I still love to exercise, can be intimate and enjoy it greatly....etc.
 Horseraddish
Msg: 126
Posted: 6/29/2007 9:43:20 AM
I think anti-depressants are prescribed far too frequently and that we are turning into a society of people that are not learning how to deal with stressors and challenging life events on our own, but rather relying on psychiatric medications.

I read a good book about the business of psychiatric drugs and how little is known about how they affect our brains. I used to be a proponent but after having read more on the subject they make me very nervous. No one is totally sure how they work or what the long term effects are.

As far as dating someone who is taking them I would not be judgmental. When you are not feeling well and you go to the doctor and he says you're depressed and writes a prescription of course you are probably going to take them. Like someone else said earlier, at least they are trying to address a problem instead of ignoring it.

I don't think the prescribing of anti-depressants is limited to women. There are a number of men that take them as well.
 prudegirl
Msg: 127
Posted: 6/29/2007 10:17:47 AM

I read a good book about the business of psychiatric drugs and how little is known about how they affect our brains. I used to be a proponent but after having read more on the subject they make me very nervous. No one is totally sure how they work or what the long term effects are.

Yeah horseraddish I agree but I'm not ready to read that good book. I'm already worried enough about what it might be doing to my body.

people that are not learning how to deal with stressors and challenging life events on our own, but rather relying on psychiatric medications.

if i effing have to hear someone else say something like this i'll effing scream! (how's that for a numbed display of emotion-perhaps I should have my dosaged upped hmm?)

WHAT THE HELL. Like to all of you who think that people on antidepressants haven't tried 'dealing with things on their own'. F YOU! Seriously. I've struggled since I was 12 years old with thoughts of suicide. I'm not kidding. I had a weird childhood and am totally trying to live a normal life while dealing with it all on the side. Okay? Just F YOU all for being so judgemental.

As for dealing with things on my own, i'm an accomplished artist and have been spilling my emotions into art all of my life, I am an athelete and run 2 hours a day, I am making my life mean something by finishing my masters education which will lead to a successful career (i'm getting a job in january)...so EFF you all.

There. Immature? Yes. But I'm sure I am speaking for many when I address those who think I haven't tried working this shit out on my own. Do you KNOW how many naturopathic doctors I have seen in my lifetime? How many bottles of St. John's Wort, Valerian Root, GABA, passionflower and other herbal supplements I have bought? Do you UNDERSTAND how many sessions of yoga I go to each week? Can you even grasp how many accupuncture needles have been put into me to relieve this 'condition' of mine?
NO...you can't. You just think that i can't deal with this shit on my own and that i haven't tried.

OH...and thank you all for mentioning psychiatry. Yes folks, I've been to free counselling sessions, as many as they would let me but until I get my own career I can't afford regular counselling sessions and until I finish my degree I won't get my career.

DON'T JUDGE ****ERS.

Sorry...rant. .. I know I asked for your opinions but that was mine.
Thanks.

Later.
 Hot Buttered Soul
Msg: 128
Posted: 6/29/2007 10:22:27 AM
It wouldn't be the antidepressants that would concern me.. it would be the issues of why you would need them...

face it... people would like things to be as trouble free from the get go..
 Horseraddish
Msg: 129
Posted: 6/29/2007 10:26:12 AM
I'm sorry you took my comments so personally.

I had post-partum depression quite badly after my son. The anti-depressants only made me able to function, they didn't make me happy. And the doctors were all too happy to prescribe anti-depressants but not really help address the systemic issues. I was choosing poor ways to deal with the stressors in my life. A big change came when I realized that I wasn't the victim of a disease but rather a normal human being faced with a lot of overwhelming issues (I have a son with a mental health problem - I ain't just whistling Dixie. I do know what I am talking about).

I think the medical and pharmaceutical communities keep people in a terrible cycle of medication and doctors visits because anti-depressants are an easy fix. Cognitive therapy has a longer lasting 'cure' rate than anti-depressants but it doesn't make huge profits for large companies. And it gives the tools you need to carry on. Anti-depressants just allow you to go through the motions.

I'm not telling you to pull up your socks - I know it's not that easy. But you can find less pharmaceutical ways to deal with depression that have longer lasting effects. You have to be open to it though.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 130
Posted: 6/29/2007 10:30:11 AM

I don't think the prescribing of anti-depressants is limited to women. There are a number of men that take them as well.

I personally know of more men on anti-depressants than women. It's just not discussed as openly in most cases.

As for depression, OCD, bi-polarism, etc. ~ I think there is a problem with mis-diagnosis. Not that those things aren't present, but it may take a little while to get the right disorder diagnosed because some mirror each other. And it's not that it's over-diagnosed today ~ it's just finally not shameful to have the wherewithall to treat your own mental health as you treat your physical health.

Let's not forget that some anti-depressant drugs are also used for other things as well: Wellbutrin is famous for helping some to quit smoking. Some drugs cross-over for other things. It's also used in eating disorder patients who obsessively eat.

I just find it silly to even think that someone would actually WANT to take an anti-depressant as some have accused in this thread. Goodness, if someone WANTS to take a drug, they probably want something that will make them high or euphoric or even maybe a downer of some sort. Most anti-depressants simply do not do that. And most take 30 + days to have an overt affect/effect anyway. It's not likely a routine druggie is going to wait 30 days for the feeling they wish to accomplish. They want a quickie effect ~ that doesn't happen with SSRI, or MAOI drugs. Likewise, cognative therapy is great ~ I've done plenty. But, if you can't get the symptoms under control in order to allow the therapies to work, you aren't solving the problem ~ just adding a stressor to the situation that is already stressed enough. No one claims anti-depressants are forever ~ goodness ~ so John or Jane is on them for a length of time, kudos that they were wise enough to seek help.

For those who find us medicated people flawed ~ all I can say is: For me it's just one more weeding out tool. Closed minds can very easily equal closed hearts ~ no thanks. But, to each their own.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > what do guys think of girls who take antidepressants?