Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RMOA
Msg: 39
Dogs in the bedPage 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

Suppose a woman sleeps with three dogs in her bed. Would you feel inimidated if you slept over?

I love dogs but they shouldn't be allowed on the furniture.
 RMOA
Msg: 40
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 6/29/2007 11:47:37 PM

I know some people think dogs are "little people" and that's okay as long as you aren't putting your "little people" above REAL PEOPLE!

Thank you! Humans have to come first.
 longhairrx
Msg: 45
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 6/30/2007 3:22:30 PM
C'mon people, that's the oldest trick in the book!!! Blaming the gas on the dog!!!
 Happily Ever...maybe
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 6/30/2007 6:32:21 PM
I'm a dog lover too, but there have to be boundaries establsihed. I would never let a dog sleep in a bed with me all night, and I don't really even want them in the same bedroom with me all night, since if I did that when I was alone, the dog would expect that if I had company too, and thats just unnecessary in my book, and confusing and unfair to the dog as well. At the risk of opening up a whole different can of worms, I'll say the same thing about people who let their kids always sleep in their beds with them too.

My ex-wife and I had a lovable mutt named Bailey, who was about 60 lbs. He loved to come upstairs with us when it was time to go to bed and we would let him for a while, but when it was either time for us to go to sleep or get romantic, he was told to go back downstairs to his crate, which he promptly did. He also liked to come up in the morning and jump in bed with us too, and that was fine, but he always knew he wasn't staying.
 smith2267
Msg: 49
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 6/30/2007 8:25:29 PM
>>It's quite inappropriate and they need to be outside. I have a dog and although at times it's gotten up on the bed it knows it's place. She's using the dogs in place of a relationship and it's not healthy.

Oh, bullcrap. She is using the dogs as a source of heat in the winter, and a teddy bear substitute in the summer. Nothing wrong with it at all.
In fact, it can be very beneficial to elderly dogs with arthritis to sleep in a soft bed.
 smith2267
Msg: 52
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 7/1/2007 3:22:03 AM
>>Letting a very dominant dog sleep on the bed is not a good idea, as they may feel they have equal status to their human and may develop behavioral problems.

*HAVING* a very dominant dog is a bad idea, no matter where it sleeps. Unless you've got the dominance to match it.
I honestly don't know if where it sleeps makes the situation any worse or not. I've never been in that position--I have a very strong personality, and I've never had a dog that thought it was dominant over me.
 trooperbill
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 7/1/2007 8:33:57 AM
err if the dogs sleep in the bed i'd be all like 'err shes a bit weird' - seriously its not good, i live dogs but they SMELL plus its messing with the dogs heads as they think theyre part of your pack and may be bitey towards another bloke in the bed.
 smith2267
Msg: 55
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 7/1/2007 1:39:32 PM
>>dogs should not be on funiture and especially a bed.

You have your house rules, I have mine.
But the statement above makes it sound like there is some reason other than personal preference--and there really isn't.
 smith2267
Msg: 57
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 7/1/2007 2:26:54 PM
BC, an animal lover and an animal hater will never make a happy couple, anyway.
And yes, if you consider well groomed dogs so filthy that you think they have contaminated your sheets, you are a dog hater.
 smith2267
Msg: 62
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 7/4/2007 4:31:04 PM
There is absolutely no reason in this day and age to put up with fleas.
Topical meds such as frontline and advantage are almost completely effective against them.

--RVT (registered veterinary technician)
 Sass_and_Class
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 8/2/2007 7:45:33 PM
Um...if her dogs sleep in bed with her - they were there before you! My dog sleeps in bed with me, but she will jump ship, so to speak, if she is feeling crowded (even if it is just me tossing and turning!), so she would likely sleep on the floor. But, make no mistake, it is her bed - not yours. And yes, ocassionally there is a stray dog hair. If you can't deal with that, then, again, she was here first, so adios!
 mepalmer
Msg: 67
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 8/2/2007 8:22:38 PM
This sounds crazy. I don't see how anyone, man or woman, can expect a date to sleep in the bed with them and their 3 dogs-let alone one. I can see if they were married or living together and both people agreed, but this is too much...imo.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 8/2/2007 8:46:06 PM
If you're woman enough to tap me dry I'll sleep with a frargin' pet mastedon.

Knew a gal with a few to many psychotically protective pooches. Me thinks they may have been the only 21st century canine astronauts.

Burp. Excuse me.
 Roamingsiris
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 8/3/2007 9:12:08 AM
3 dogs?

Hmm thats a little crouded.

But, if it were just 1 dog I would understand.

I had an X that complained that my dog slept on the foot of the bed. I told her "He was here before you, and will probly be here after you too"

I was right.

On a side note, we stopped seeing eachother shortly thereafter, so I DO NOT suggest you try using that line. lol.
 donatello2727
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 8/3/2007 8:18:34 PM
No dogs in the bed. They smell and and are not equals in the household, part of the family yes but not equals. I have four dogs and wouldn't trade them for the world, but they have their place, not in my bed.
 Calisparkle
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 8/5/2007 10:10:34 PM
I have had my very first dog (as an adult) for a couple of months now. Well, my son does. It is his dog. Still, I never thought i would have a dog in my house. My ex didn't like animals. Not that I don't like them and they always love me.

However, my dog has short fur and there is never any dog hair around, at least not that's visible to the naked eye.

Sometimes, if my son spends the night elsewhere, the dog does sleep in my bedroom. But the dog is never allowed on furniture or beds. No exception! And it would feel rather weird to have a man in my bedroom AND a dog. jmo Dogs can also go outside. It's good for them.
 pokerjimmy
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 12/18/2007 7:57:58 AM
I'd probably just pop some popcorn, watch the show and go home.

I mean I know some women sleep with dogs, but unless they're the human kind, why would some man ever want to be next in line?

Some levity here. In reality...I'd let sleeping dogs lie...all four of them.
 OmegaPoint
Msg: 96
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 2/16/2008 3:05:37 PM
I was surprised at how many people are very against having dogs in bed - even as dog lovers. Wished I would have read this thread before I had the experience of having a new guy over for the first time as a new dog owner. Thanks to my last bf, I ended up with two small dogs (under 20 lbs). Never thought I'd be a dog lover. Was afraid of them most of my life due to some close calls as a child. Now I think they're wonderful. Dog people are more outgoing than cat people. I don't see many people walking their cat at the park I still have my cat but now he shares the king-size bed with the two dogs.

I've never thought about it being a problem having my cat in bed so just naturally had the dogs in bed with me too. That's what my bf did too, which was a challenge with 3 small dogs on a full-size bed, although it was fine on my king-size. Can't imagine 3 larger dogs though.

We broke up and I had my first experience with a new guy and the dogs. It didn't go well - the dogs weren't happy, I wasn't happy and the guy wasn't happy. I had the mistaken idea that I could quietly sneak them in in the middle of the night. Bad idea Now I know I need to train the dogs to at least sleep on the floor when a guy is over - unless they don't mind the dogs in the bed. Luckily I'm not planning on living with anyone anytime soon so my puppies can safely sleep with me most of the time. And yes, they like to snuggle up under the covers. I hope to find that special someone who won't mind the puppies in bed but I'm educated now that it might not happen. :sigh:
 Chiwrtr72
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 2/17/2008 9:45:14 AM
It would be a big turn off for me if a woman had a dog or cat sleep in the bed. I don't know if it would be a dealbreaker but it would be a red flag.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 105
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 2/18/2008 10:52:52 PM
I could not sleep in a bed with dogs.
Sorry.
Just preference.
Be like in a kennel. Or a barn.
If there is one definite not gonna-no-way-in-hell dealbreaker...
that would be it for me.
 SonoraDreamin
Msg: 112
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 2/23/2008 12:27:40 PM
You will never change the way a person feels about their animals...most animal lovers tend to treat them as their children. If this person wants to have a relationship with you then it will be them to make that choice. All you can do is politely suggest the change. Remember this...you might be treading on thin ice in a dogs eyes, they might have a change of attitude toward you if your moving in on their territory.
 Greyfeld
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 3/2/2008 2:12:49 PM
My parents used to sleep with their dogs in the room all the time, and at least one of them always curled up on the bed. It doesn't really bother me, but i toss and turn a lot in my sleep, so if she wanted her dogs in the bed, there would have to be enough room for me to move around in the middle of the night.

If not, then it's the couch for me!!
 TheLimey
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 3/2/2008 3:18:11 PM
I used to have a pair of Hybrids & the male (145lb) once dragged a gf off the bed by her ankle in the middle of the night. Even tho he didn't hurt her at all, she was kinda freaked out for a few minutes.
Now I only have the one (I lost the male to cancer 14 month ago) & she sleeps on the couch or the floor.
 TheLimey
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Dogs in the bed
Posted: 3/3/2008 4:35:46 AM
Nothing quite like a cold nose where you least expect it to put you off your stroke.....
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  >