Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > If Cell Phones Could Be Banned,Who Would Join Me?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 acuddler
Msg: 51
If Cell Phones Could Be Banned,Who Would Join Me?Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Why would a cell phone ban, today, work any better than the booze ban of the Prohibition era worked? If it can't work, why bother trying? Challenges earn rewards. What will you pay me if I get by without a cell phone for 3 months? As long as you are giving up cell phones, why not go a step further? Move into the country, live in a log cabin, get by without: cars, electricity, etc, and own/use nothing that was invented in the last 250 years. Heck...go further, still. Live in a cave, and own/use nothing but sticks, and roocks. Forget 3 months. Try it for 30 years.
 KT83
Msg: 52
If Cell Phones Could Be Banned,Who Would Join Me?
Posted: 12/31/2009 4:48:35 PM
The problem, in my opinion, is not so much the cell phone, but the other crap that comes with it. Although it has it has a few "pros", I still think texting is the worst application on a cell phone. It has caused many people to stray away from having an actual conversation, not to mention causes people not to pay attention behind the wheel. If anything should be banned, it's text, internet, all that extra crap that's not necessary.
 TravelingLight
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/1/2010 3:10:19 AM

Cell phones are EXCELLENT if you get stranded in your car. It is much SAFER than walking (especially in the bitter cold) or relying on someone to come along (who may not be trustworthy). Numerous people have been rescued from car crashes, etc. by tracking their cell phone signals.

Exact. That's like people in the old days who may have complained about the phone. People spend hours on the phone! But they can also help you call 9-1-1 in an emergency.
 barbee1970
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/1/2010 4:27:10 AM
I can see your point, though OP. People have no ettiquette when it comes to cellphones. When they are ordering at a drive thru or paying a cashier, or driving they can't put the damn thing down. We shouldn't need signs at the drive thru telling us to put them down, laws regarding texting while driving or not using while driving.

But people are too stupid and inconsiderate when it comes to cell phone usage. We don't need to hear every mushy detail of their sex life or their drama. It's all about common sense.

I use mine like if I had a landline, not when I drive though.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/1/2010 7:21:02 AM
I am sure the OP is not reading his forum any longer, but if he wants to crusade in order to improve the quality of life for people, I suggest that he crusade against cigarettes. They cause more death and health problems than do cell phones, and they are more damaging in every sense of the word.
 Strings6
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2010 11:28:49 AM
Here's a suggestion to improve the lives of others...mind your own business and live your own life....alot of the trials and tribulations of life these days come to us courtesy of the do gooders,crusader rabbits and all manner of assorted busy bodies. I remember the hall monitors in school with their little badges patroling the halls to bust you for anything they could....never realized i would face them again someday
 NappyKAT
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/2/2010 10:02:19 AM
no, I wouldn't join you but I know several people who should. I get tired of folks on the bus sounding like they are having a conversation with themselves about private things very loudly.

I can see things like:
'I'm going to be late and should arrive in 10 minutes'
' Did you pick my kids up from school?'
'I'm going to grocery store, you want me to pick something up?'
'I made that appointment and I'll tell you about it later.'

NOT
'Girl you know I kicked his ass because he was screwin Amy and Sasha is pregnant by Brandy. Brandy got this big ol' mole on her forehead she should have that thang removed, hope her baby don't get it. Danny is in jail, he should be out next week. His momma is dating my uncle they are getting married next week. Shawnee cain't cook to save her dam life, Renee got poisoned last time she ate her crap. Have you heard about Simple? He has gotten FAT! I can't not understand how Lisa was able to have sex with him can you picture it? GROSS! Oh yeah, I bought that car from Jacobs and that mutha is WRECKED! I want my money back but he ain't given it. I'm gonna have to sue him.'

Am I the only one who would like to take the dam celly and beat these people over the head???
 WalkingWithOrion
Msg: 58
Posted: 1/2/2010 10:05:39 AM
They don't need to be banned.

People just need to use plain old everyday COMMON SENSE.

1. Don't use them while driving. At ALL. Period. And texting while driving is the behaviour of imbeciles.

2. Don't use them in places where you're going to disturb people. A theatre, for instance. Move away in crowded areas where your one-sided conversation isn't going to annoy the hell out of other people. People don't seem to realize that with a cell phone, everywhere you are turns into a phone booth for you.

3. Don't be a freakin' slave to them! Don't feel that you have to take every call or call back from just anywhere you happen to be at the time unless it's urgent. Teenagers seem to focus their entire waking life on their Blackberry or IPhone. They can't tear themselves away for even a minute. Life is passing them by while they text each other trivialities and unimportant information. Put the damn thing away and look at what's happening around you!
 NappyKAT
Msg: 59
Posted: 1/2/2010 10:10:08 AM
Don't use them in places where you're going to disturb people. A theatre, for instance.

AND THE LIBRARY!

I admit it, I'm a tattletale. Be near me and accept a call and start talking for more than 1 minute, I will give you a dirty look and if you still don't get the hint, I'm going to tell library employees. Notes are posted everywhere about cell phone use in the library and it is often ignored. Bugs the hell out of me. The library is suppose to be a quiet place.

ETA - I'm not a texter but I soo wish people would text in the situations I mentioned (on the bus, in the library, or elsewhere). I don't know how texting got to be so popular but from where I'm from, its not used nearly enough! At least texting is silent.
 carterscutie85
Msg: 60
Posted: 1/2/2010 10:45:46 AM
I got one when I had my son. I wanted to make sure that someone could reach me A.S.A.P if I left him with someone and Lord forbid something happened to him. What if I had to go somewhere for a few hours and 20 minutes after I leave something happens to him? I wouldn't know until I got back home if I didn't have a cell phone. I'd rather not have to wait to hear my baby has been hurt and taken to the hospital, thank you.
 pjames
Msg: 61
Posted: 1/2/2010 4:09:21 PM
LOL.. all we need is gvmnt getting involved with more stuff
 Strings6
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2010 6:30:04 PM
While i agree there are times and places a cell phone should not be used whats with all of this "one sided conversation"business why does anyone care what somebody they don't know and somebody else they don't know are talking about....life getting a little slow for you ?
 WalkingWithOrion
Msg: 63
Posted: 1/3/2010 3:58:09 PM
Strings6 said:

whats with all of this "one sided conversation"business why does anyone care what somebody they don't know and somebody else they don't know are talking about....life getting a little slow for you ?

What's not to understand? It's not Rocket Science. People talk loudly on cell phones in public places. A lot louder than all the conversations that are in a restaurant or coffee shop. I don't care what they're talking about. But I don't want it stabbing into my brain through my eardrums like a hammer! The reason they are talking so loudly, is that they think they have to hear themselves over the layer of conversation going on around them, not realizing that the person they're talking to can hear them just fine. It would be much more pleasant for the person talking on the cell phone and the people around them if they just moved over somewhere where they can (a) hear what they are saying and (b) not piss off other people.
 Fleur_de_Lis
Msg: 64
Posted: 1/3/2010 4:12:43 PM
I use mine rarely ~ they're necessary for emergencies but people who are constantly on theirs, and you've seen them, are so annoying

No one wants to listen to your bonehead convo, so go outside or shut the fark up

BBQ Spider
Msg: 65
Posted: 1/3/2010 7:28:45 PM
Not I, said the Fly.

I think I read you loud & clear, but still, no. Rather than ban the cell, I keep hold of my P&Q by limiting who I give the # to. And by making frequent use of the ignore / vibrate / off functions.

There can't be anybody more tired than I am of walking around surrounded by shouted conversations like "Hi, can you hear me now? What? What? We're in Produce, where are you?"

The abuses, we can't do much about, unless you can find a way to ban rudeness or idiocy.

But over my own cell use and how much it enhances, or disrupts my own life -- I have complete control.
 Ipostonforums
Msg: 66
Posted: 1/4/2010 1:39:07 PM

Your son survived because God intended him to,not because of a so called savior called the "cell"

Religious arguments hold no weight in the real world buddy.

He lived because the wound wasn't fatal.
 whitetigeress
Msg: 67
Posted: 1/4/2010 1:47:58 PM
I am hearing impaired and quite often cellphone users are talking so loud I can almost comprehend exactly what they are saying word for word. HOLY C**P ... so annoying!
Just once,..once.... I wish so much I could turn to the person and shout "Hallelujah!! I can hear! You have cured my deafness! I can hear you! Oh praise the lord"

but.. as entertaining to see the look on their would be,unfortunately, I'm not nearly is rude as the loudmouth.

Texters are worst... I call them bubble people. The world stands still no matter what they are doing.. ie;driving, eating, on a date.
Poke their bubble and see if they move?
 Strings6
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2010 2:41:20 PM
I suspect that alot of people here complaining about Cell phones engage in behaviour that is just if not more irritating to others,left lane hogs, unprepared check out line butt draggers,shopping aisle blockers,close talkers,talk/spitters,gas pump hogs,ect ,ect everybody gets on somebody else's nerves in some way....but as usual it's what somebody else is doing that matters and is the problem.
 itsallinthesoul
Msg: 69
Posted: 1/4/2010 5:11:34 PM
I would join you...I hate being a slave to mine!!!!!!
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/4/2010 6:28:42 PM

...If Cell Phones Could Be Banned,Who Would Join Me?....

Sure would.

Please send me a text or call when the ban takes affect.
 ZFire
Msg: 71
Posted: 1/8/2010 9:24:42 AM
I'd be on the top of the list! Let me know when they finally plan on destroying cell phones!
 Jontheknight
Msg: 72
view profile
History
what do you think about cell phones
Posted: 1/8/2010 9:08:40 PM
I dont know what ot think aboutthis really.

Ban it? No

Would I care? No

There way too many cons and pros to cell phones. Its uses are excellent in emergenices but not required ot survive during everyday life.

If a guy tailgates me and i smahs my head against my wheel and i was concisous enough to dial a number in a cell phone and call for help. Id do it. But even you cant say "Oh theres a better way, The other guy will save you!" Will what happens if he meant to do it, and drives off laughing because he is a psychopathic maniac? What happens if everyone ignores you on the road for some odd reason? And your sitting there looking at a cell phone? Of course you will take the chance. Even if you were unaware of all the above. Its just a saftey meausre. Sometimes we cant Literally live without cell phones. But 90% of the time. Its used for calling or texting your buddy or family.

SO yes i wouldnt care if it did get banned. And i will join you.

But understanding why NOT being banned is a good choice too.

But to add to the reason why I dont care if itll get banned. Itll make it extremly diffcult for us teenagers to get to parties and texting while driving. SO itll save more lives that why. Maybe we should put and age limit on cell phone use? Then again teenagers disobey the drinking law all the time (I dont ill never touch alcohol) so it probably wont make a difference.

brownlab
Msg: 73
Posted: 1/9/2010 12:09:22 AM
IM COUNTING THE DAY OCTOBER 2010 NO MORE CELL PHONES!!! Thats when my contract expires. I am just going to carry a phone card around and use a pay phone if i need to
 Strings6
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2010 3:29:59 AM
First people had cell phones as status symbols...to be seen using them,now i guess people will be seen not using them and that to will be a status symbol.
 HoldingHands27
Msg: 75
Posted: 1/9/2010 12:52:57 PM
Totally New Concept...:
When a call is placed from a moving vehicle....it kills the Engine..!!

It's amazing how many really Lucky people are out there...
With the # of fatal vehicle accidents -caused by inattentive drivers on phones- rising
every day...
the lucky ones that b l o w right through red lights and stop signs ...
without hitting anything ...!!
I guess their turn is coming....and then they'll wonder...:
'I wonder why I got in that wreck...!..??'
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > If Cell Phones Could Be Banned,Who Would Join Me?