Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 46
If Cell Phones Could Be Banned,Who Would Join Me?Page 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I have an emergency cell that has maybe 30 mins a month...so not for day to day life, no texting features and junk. So for that reason I wouldn't want a ban. However will I ever own a full cell? no. not unless I'm forced to. But I will still leave it turned off unless I'm at home. Can't ever imagine doing the text stuff. No desire to be in contact or reachable at all hours of the day.
 MondoVman
Msg: 47
view profile
History
If Cell Phones Could Be Banned,Who Would Join Me?
Posted: 8/10/2011 2:38:22 PM
A cell phone can't work when the power (grid) is out.
A cordless, landline phone can't work when the grid is out. Its base station uses house power feed.
A classic phone always works because its needed power is supplied via the phone jack.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2011 6:36:25 AM

Totally New Concept...:
When a call is placed from a moving vehicle....it kills the Engine..!!

Actually, there is an idea floating through Congress to force auto makers to equip ALL new cars with signal blocking devices for cell phones.

I just can't wait to see what happens.

Imagine when EVERYBODY who has to make a Necessary call for directions or for work emergencies has to find a spot to pull off a busy roadway to get out of their car and make a call. Will there be enough parking spaces on the shoulders? What happens when they all try to re-enter the traffic lanes?
 LinuxD
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2011 7:55:49 AM
I treat my cellphone as tool. I use it when I need it. Just because I have a torque wrench does not mean it is carried with me everywhere I go or that it's impossible to leave home without it because I might come across something that needs to be torqued down.

If my cell rings and I don't want to answer it.. I don't, if I don't want to hear it, it gets muted.

People don't understand that just because you own a cellphone you DO NOT have to answer it at anothers beck and call.

Make any excuse you want to rationalize why you NEED a cellphone then don't gripe when it becomes intrusive.
 KIWI3nme
Msg: 51
Posted: 8/12/2011 9:03:49 PM
here in BC driving with a cell is totally banned TG! I havent used a land line in probally 6 years. Its pointless. My cell is all i need. My dd has one too and its great becasue she at that tween age where you DONT WANT her to walk alone to the store, her pals or take the dog for a walk and you want that security of knowing she can text you when she arrives or is on her way. Its comforting when you are trying to teach them to fly a bit.

SO um yeah... send me a text too when they do a total ban.. ill be doing figure 8's with my flying pig friend on that great big ice rink.
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 52
Posted: 8/13/2011 4:06:35 AM
Many places have banned the use of cell phones while driving. We have such a ban her in NS and I don't disagree with that.

Personally, a landline is useless to me. I am either at work all day or I am out somewhere during the evenings. Also, cell phones fit my lifestyle. My phone is used for e-mail, watch, games, internet, etc. It beats carrying around something else for each of those functions.

So the logical thing to have is a cell phone so people can call or text me. Plus, as someone has pointed out, you don't have to answer every call or text. In fact, most of the time my phone is on mute and I'll call/respond when I have a moment to do so.

Cell phones have helped me out many times before where landlines couldn't. I co-captain a soccer team, so I'll frequently receive last minute calls/texts when I'm not home, telling me that someone can't make the game. It's very handy to have that phone to call/text/e-mail replacement players right away.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2011 7:48:45 AM
Technically, my OnStar is a cell phone. It will be interesting to see which party tries to "force" that bill through congress. (I'm betting on Republicans). What I think is MORE interesting.....is when they ban TALKING to PASSENGERS in your vehicle. There's NO difference in talking to someone in another seat than there is when someone calls my vehicle phone.

LOL! So, what next....we put the driver in a soundproof box ? No more navigation help from the front passenger seat, hope nobody in the back seat has to pee.

BUT, last night....I took my 3 grandchildren to the Drive-In Theatre....a gruesome 110 mile round trip. There was a detour, which added another 10 miles to the trip, but with my trusty 4G droid, I mapped a better route home. I love my OnStar....because....it saves me money on insurance...AND, I can't tell you how much I've saved by NOT having to call a locksmith every time I lock my keys in the car. I can't say much for it's mapping however. There's no display like on my cell phone....you just have to trust that the navigation software is RECENT (extremely recent) and you don't get to choose your route...you just follow it's dictates.

My 4G droid also told me where the nearest COFFEE was! LOL! I needed that at 2am this morning! HOWEVER, I agree that children perceive this technology as a "toy". It's no wonder that my 14 yr old grandson wasn't impressed with "Rise of the Planet of the Apes"...he was too busy Facebooking on his phone to pay much attention. My 11 yr old granddaughter sees her phone as a "toy" as well....and seemed to be clueless when I MADE her take her phone with her to the bathroom. She seems to have forgotten that I have the ability to TRACK HER (her phone) within 15 seconds...with an accuracy of 20 yrds.

I'm really looking forward to the day when phone companies get rid of land lines all together. They've been whinning to the FCC for permission to do so for well over 5 years now. A whopping 60% of Americans have cell phones as their ONLY phone; and it's really expensive for these providers to have to maintain 2 separate systems just because some people hate technology. I'm one of those people who, in spite of my love of technology, prefers country living. Unfortunately, down in the lake valley there is NO cell provider which carries a strong enough signal to make my cell my primary phone :-( I DO however have a great piece of equipment, an Airrave which is connected to my cable internet, and it enables me to get a FULL cellular signal via my internet connection.

I think though that....IF like the OP, the $60 per month for a cell phone was going to make or break me...or if it was a choice between the phone and doing activities with my grandkids, sure....I'd consider giving up the cell phone....but NOT before I'd given up numerous other non-essential first. LOL! The kids were feeling pretty poverty stricken when I built this new house this spring and choose NOT to have cable TV put in the 4 upstairs bedrooms. It was what I considered an unnecessary item, since all 4 rooms have laptops and LCD TVs....and 90% of what they watch is reruns on Netflix anyhow.

LOL! NOW....if you want to talk about something which SHOULD BE BANNED....it's got to be...TELEVISION! Talk about a totally worthless and outrageously expensive addiction that people could well do without...that's the one!
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 54
Posted: 8/13/2011 8:07:57 AM

There's NO difference in talking to someone in another seat than there is when someone calls my vehicle phone.

Um, yes there is. Are you holding your friend up to your ear while talking? Are you looking away from the road while dialing/texting?

Also, tell that to the person who caused a 5 car pile-up i was in 3 years ago. When asked why they hit the car behind me at 70km/h in a 50 zone. They said they didn't see the cars at a complete stop in front of them because they were dialing their husband.

That's why most cell phone laws in cars stipulate that hands free headsets must be used.

Top ten leading causes of car accidents:
http://caaneo.ca/about/blog/driving/10-leading-causes-of-car-accidents-and-tips-to-avoid-them

Four times as likely to be in a car accident while on a cell phone:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/Notes_From_The_Road/Cell_Phone_Crash_Stats_.aspx

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080531084958.htm

Just some food for thought when you are transporting your grandchildren in a car mam. Is it really so bad to pull over to map out the detour instead of gambling their lives?
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2011 9:31:14 AM

Um, yes there is. Are you holding your friend up to your ear while talking? Are you looking away from the road while dialing/texting?
NO!!! There is NO difference...and I'm really curious as to whether you've even experienced a vehicle with OnStar calling??? There are NO buttons to push, no keyboard...it is ENTIRELY voice activated. When a call comes in, there is 1 button to press to accept, the radio is muted automatically and the call is received. When I place a call....AGAIN...there are NO buttons or keys to press. One button, ...turning on my windshield wipers is more distracting than this....do you suggest that we drive without wipers because pressing 1 button causes a wreck???? When I place a call....I press the same 1 button...and SAY either the name of the person (if I've already programmed in their number) or I SAY the number.....OnStar repeats the number and asks if it is correct...then dials the number.

I think that your insistence that a "headset" be used is considerably more dangerous as it requires 2 hands to put the stupid thing on and take it off....or if you leave it on, it could diminish your ability to hear other things outside the vehicle....like...maybe an emergency vehicle coming up behind you in the distance.

Sooo, now you insist that GPS is dangerous as well??? And.....why and where would I have pulled over to "map out the detour" when I was ALREADY parked??? I mean...I was sitting at the Drive-In....I had 4 hours to look at my GPS, and my memory is not so bad that I couldn't find the route..and drive it without having to keep referring back to it. What would have been more annoying would have been to rely on the Navigation WHILE I was driving.
Just some food for thought when you are transporting your grandchildren in a car mam. Is it really so bad to pull over to map out the detour instead of gambling their lives?
I really think that you may have some more pressing concerns than me endangering my grandchildren by looking at a GPS map during intermission at a movie.....like....reading comprehension....and over defensiveness. I do apologize for attacking TV....but, maybe if people spent a little less time in front of that box...they'd be a little more intuned to the modern world around them.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2011 9:41:45 AM
^^^ Correction, I said there are NO buttons to push then when on to explain that there is 1 button. By "no buttons" I mean there is NO keyboard, no numbers or letters...you cannot TEXT on On Star, nor can you enter a number manually"...the ONLY button is the same 1...which turns the feature ON and OFF.
 2findU
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2011 9:49:08 AM
I would. The only reason I even have a cell phone is because they gave me a free one at work. So it does occasionally come in handy for personal use.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2011 10:29:18 AM

7. Driver Distraction – kids, animals and construction sites often distract individuals as much as any cell phone or car accidents we see. We are all human and know that it can be near impossible to keep our attention on the road when little Timmy is pulling on his sister’s hair. However, it is best if you resist the urge to look away, even momentarily. If it appears to be an issue requiring discipline, pull onto the road’s shoulder or into the nearest rest stop first.
This is a pretty good one as well.

AND I certainly do NOT mean to advocate that I'm in favor of cell phone use while driving being a "right".....heaven forbid! Quite the contrary!!! I think there should be stiff penalties for driving and texting...and...am not opposed to considering penalties for those who have a cell phone glued to their ears and trying to drive one handed, treating their vehicle as an extention of their either their office or their living room.

I offered the example of On Star as a much safer alternative to hand held cell phones; BUT there again, when a driver is distracted by ANYTHING, their chances of an accident are greatly increased. This is why I prefer using the GPS in my phone...BEFORE I start driving, so that I'm not distracted by the repeated notifications of "continue on xxx for 1.3 miles then turn left at ABC road". That is so annoying, and you find yourself paying more attention looking for all the unnecessary landmarks that have nothing to do with getting your where you want to go. I'm sure that city driving is bad enough, but here in the boondocks....we also have the added distraction of having to keep our eyes peeled constantly for the huge deer population. And, as I said, onboard vehicle navigation is fine....if you're driving around in a metropolitian area. Here where it's 50 or 60 miles to the nearest "major highway"...relying on traditional navigation could have you driving 100 miles or more out of your way. But...admittedly, I haven't yet tried the onboard navigation on my 2011 vehicle...but I found my cell phones ability to access even small county maps much more reliable than the OnStar Navigation on my old 2008 vehicle. I should make it a point to make that comparison.
ehic
Other things that I use my phone for.....my grocery list! My vehicle expenses and milage...although my new vehicle keeps track of my fuel economy for me now...but I was using my cell phone for this long before this was a feature on automobiles. I can also find the cheapest gasoline prices in a given range of miles, so when I know that I'm going to need gasoline along the way somewhere, I can often plan my stop and save a few dollars on fuel. The calculator, the 5.3 megapixel camera and video recorder than is now limited only to the size of my SD card. I no longer have to carry these bulky items with me everywhere I go!

The fact is...that I can't remember the last time I used 30 minutes of talk time in a single month, and ....my texts rarely exceed maybe 15 -20 per month. ANYONE that I associate with has enough sense to know that I don't text back while driving...so they are prepared to WAIT until it is convenient for me to get back to them. Granted, there are always those hardheaded individuals who will insist that we phone lovers are taking video while driving, and indeed, there may be some who are that stupid. What's really dumb though....are those who don't even KNOW what a piece of equipment IS....and is capable of...and still condemn them because they can see only the childish abuses, but not the amazing technological conveniences which are usually just "nice to have", but can also be life saving.

Again, I will say that the idea of banning any technology simply because some....or even MOST people don't behave sensibly or responsibly is the reactionary thinking of the unintelligent...and is hardly any different than the addictive behaviors of those who suffer "separation axiety" if they're cut off from their Facebook friends for 30 minutes.
 egowitch
Msg: 60
Posted: 8/13/2011 1:04:10 PM
Oh - I SO am with you on this !!! I had one for a short while during a family crisis. Once it was over, I stopped using it - so shut it down. I have a landline with an answering machine. Totally fine - works well !

I hate what cells are doing to society. People together - but NOT together. Families in cars - with no one talking to each other, they're all on their own phones. Out to dinner with a new date - interrupted by a damn call that is NOT any sort of emergency - and no apology ( a deal breaker , by the way) . Having to listen to trivial conversations everywhere one goes : the Library, the movie theatre , at concerts & plays, in the store, out on a remote trail in the woods, people in kayaks on the river - on and on ....

I was "rear-ended" by a shopping cart in Walmart recently. She crashed into my ankle , because she was blabbing on her phone and not paying attention.

Then of course, the potentially deadly consequences of yapping while driving - geez !

They give otherwise civil, polite people, reason to be unspeakably rude, invasive, and overly important. Suddenly everything is an "emergency". (Dr. Phil refers to such folks as "self important twits")

I have one of those stickers on my car from "Oprah" that says "NO PHONE ZONE".

If those gadgets were legal in the US, that disable phones within a certain radius , I'd buy one in a NY minute !

As I remember - the world spun around just fine before we had 'em !
 leanco
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2011 2:43:00 AM
Banning cell phones? That would be my dream come true! It will never happen though, the phone companies will make sure of that.

I have a landline at home and that's more than what I need. I have never had a cell - don't want one, don't need one and certainly don't care to have one. Like the above poster said, I hate what cell phones are doing to society. Do people really have to be connected 24/7? Why should I be forced to listen to some idle conversation of the idiot in front of me when I am at the supermarket checkout line? It's an invasion of my privacy, and a detriment to social grace.

But I must concede, the genie is out of the bottle now and there is no going back. The only thing I can hope for is for technology to advance quickly so automobiles can be auto-piloted, and for society to establish new social etiquette in regards to cell phone usage. Until then, be prepared to put up with more narcissistic behaviors.
 robin-hood
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2011 5:41:42 AM
Its a portable phone. I answer it the same as if I were at home, when I want to. I actually down graded my phone to one that has better reception and a 7 day battery life. I'm good for email text, text, and of course verbal. T-mobile plan cost $50/month including unlimited nationwide long distance, and a few dead zones. Most cell phones today would definitely live up to Dic k Tracy's expectations.

Now there are those people (allot of people) that should just have one or two implanted in their neural circuit. That prevents chapped ears and you never miss a call.

I just can't wait till transponders hit the market.
 DT_artist
Msg: 63
Posted: 9/15/2011 6:20:57 PM
The only time I use a cell phone is emergencies only. Like if I go on vacation or travel somewhere and my car breaks down. They should start banning texting. If you need to contact someone, pick up the phone and call.
 Casper66
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2012 3:13:55 AM
A complete ban on talking/texting while driving with severe fines for anyone caught and loss of licence for repeat offenders, no one needs to be talking on the phone while driving. I've been nearly killed a couple of times due to people on cells not paying attention. That being said, cells are good for emergencies, business or a quick text to friends you are going to be late or keeping in contact with your kids/family, the problem is that people just can't seem to turn them off when in social environments and don't realize that not everyone around them wants to hear their converstion.
 JustDukky
Msg: 65
Posted: 1/19/2012 4:03:18 AM
I'm way ahead of you. I have eschewed cellphones from day one. The only one I ever had was issued to me by a company I worked for. It kinda bothered them that I kept it turned off with the battery out, but they never said I actually had to use it and I DID tell them I didn't want it.

While not initially against cells, I was extremely bothered one day in the '90's when I saw two businessmen having lunch. They may have been sitting across the table from one another, but neither one was truly "all there", as they were both on cells talking to whomever wasn't the guy they went to lunch with. I resolved then never to go to lunch with anyone unless their cell was turned off and unused during lunch.

It's even worse today, with texting & email being available on cells. It seems people (especially the younger ones) can't seem to relate face-to-face with other people anymore. Some sort of "filtering" intermediary like a cell or computer seems to be required. The future of face to face contact, and the decency & manners that go along with it seem to be scheduled for the scrap pile of human history if we don't do something fast. If we don't, you'll find me in that pile, because I find the "scraps" of face-to-face decency and manners infinitely preferable to dealing with the "filtered" communications of a cell.
 Balsamica
Msg: 66
Posted: 4/19/2012 7:35:55 AM
It's not the phones, it's the people who use them.
 want to travel
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2012 10:57:15 AM
funny how fast it became something people need!
 a_Libra_rising
Msg: 68
Posted: 4/19/2012 11:58:42 AM
i've gone through months without phone and internet. that's not to say i didn't check my emails once or twice a week but i've gone awol periodically... like once every 2 years or so. the problem with being totally afk is that you can get use to it so quickly that you'd have a harder time coming back. i always have a harder time readjusting when i come back to the land of perpetual 'online.'
 lotustemple
Msg: 69
Posted: 4/19/2012 12:30:34 PM
I remember the days when only emergency personnel carried mobile phones. It amazes me to see so many people considering themselves so important, making meaningless noise where there once was lovely peace and quiet.
 tuloa942
Msg: 70
Posted: 4/19/2012 12:37:49 PM
They should not be banned but as with anything else, they should be used with intelligence and courtesy.

Lack of intelligence: The problem are those people who are stupid enough to text, dial, hold the phone to their ear while driving. I can't even count the number of times I've almost been hit by someone who is trying to make 90 degree turn onto another road with one hand because the other is holding their phone. Driving with one hand is NOT safe. There are devices out there that attach to your ear and they are NOT expensive, certainly a lot cheaper than losing your life or killing another person. An earbud is even cheaper than the bluetooth devices. And texting while driving is even worse since they tend to use both hands. So no one should EVER text while driving.

Lack of courtesy: Being on the phone or texting instead of paying attention to the person who is actually in your presence. Talking loudly while on the phone in a public place. These devices pick up sounds, you don't need to shout. Or is it a matter of wanting more attention, are you that important that you need to let everyone know you have a cell phone and someone is calling you? If the connection is not good, shouting won't make it better. It just annoys the heck out of everyone around you! (I have to admit there are times I do not take the high road when I'm annoyed by a loud cell phone talker, so there have been times I will walk past them and tell the talker to be sure to say hi to them for me. )

Turn your phone off or to vibrate if you are at a concert, movie or other group gatherings and don't answer the phone until you have removed yourself from that gathering. That is what voice mail is for.

Believe it or not, NONE of us are THAT important that we can't be unplugged for a span of time.

I understand about family emergencies but really how often does that happen? Again, vibrate and voice mail are there for that reason!
 lotustemple
Msg: 71
Posted: 4/19/2012 5:51:10 PM
The invention of the cellphone was just in time to serve the needs of an ever-increasing narcissistic society. Amazing how that lined up. Now all the self-important attention whores can keep distrupting the peace and quiet by talking loud in public drawing attention to themselves. Fabulous.

Best use of a cell phone is it being an idiot and narcissist identifier. Now you don't even need to talk to someone to realize how self-centered they are. Just watch them stumble to answer their cell at every inappropriate moment rudely disturbing everyone around them and not caring.
 Worbug
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2012 1:42:33 PM
Try owning a business that provides 24 hr emergency service with out cell phones. You will be out of business asap. Just because technology advances does not always mean a bad thing. Just because the op lacked the discipline and could not deal with a cell phone does not mean it does not have it's place.

As for how some people use them, I do agree with some points, people walking around with ear pieces yapping away in line at stores, texting all the time, will driving. People who have no regard for certain situations.

I also agree, a cell phone is the cheapest way for most. I talk no more on my cell phone then I did on a land line, at least with the cell phone I have the ability to receive a customers call and respond which in turn, I make money so I'll be keeping mine.

Hey OP, how about that new fangled electricity that has become so bothersome to you with those high electric bills, or the car that uses so much gas, or that furnace burning too much Natural Gas. Are you making a real stand or just the easy ones, impress us, use candles, walk everywhere, cut firewood and truly stand alone. Good Luck.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >