Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lotustemple
Msg: 69
If Cell Phones Could Be Banned,Who Would Join Me?Page 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I remember the days when only emergency personnel carried mobile phones. It amazes me to see so many people considering themselves so important, making meaningless noise where there once was lovely peace and quiet.
 tuloa942
Msg: 70
If Cell Phones Could Be Banned,Who Would Join Me?
Posted: 4/19/2012 12:37:49 PM
They should not be banned but as with anything else, they should be used with intelligence and courtesy.

Lack of intelligence: The problem are those people who are stupid enough to text, dial, hold the phone to their ear while driving. I can't even count the number of times I've almost been hit by someone who is trying to make 90 degree turn onto another road with one hand because the other is holding their phone. Driving with one hand is NOT safe. There are devices out there that attach to your ear and they are NOT expensive, certainly a lot cheaper than losing your life or killing another person. An earbud is even cheaper than the bluetooth devices. And texting while driving is even worse since they tend to use both hands. So no one should EVER text while driving.

Lack of courtesy: Being on the phone or texting instead of paying attention to the person who is actually in your presence. Talking loudly while on the phone in a public place. These devices pick up sounds, you don't need to shout. Or is it a matter of wanting more attention, are you that important that you need to let everyone know you have a cell phone and someone is calling you? If the connection is not good, shouting won't make it better. It just annoys the heck out of everyone around you! (I have to admit there are times I do not take the high road when I'm annoyed by a loud cell phone talker, so there have been times I will walk past them and tell the talker to be sure to say hi to them for me. )

Turn your phone off or to vibrate if you are at a concert, movie or other group gatherings and don't answer the phone until you have removed yourself from that gathering. That is what voice mail is for.

Believe it or not, NONE of us are THAT important that we can't be unplugged for a span of time.

I understand about family emergencies but really how often does that happen? Again, vibrate and voice mail are there for that reason!
 lotustemple
Msg: 71
Posted: 4/19/2012 5:51:10 PM
The invention of the cellphone was just in time to serve the needs of an ever-increasing narcissistic society. Amazing how that lined up. Now all the self-important attention whores can keep distrupting the peace and quiet by talking loud in public drawing attention to themselves. Fabulous.

Best use of a cell phone is it being an idiot and narcissist identifier. Now you don't even need to talk to someone to realize how self-centered they are. Just watch them stumble to answer their cell at every inappropriate moment rudely disturbing everyone around them and not caring.
 Worbug
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2012 1:42:33 PM
Try owning a business that provides 24 hr emergency service with out cell phones. You will be out of business asap. Just because technology advances does not always mean a bad thing. Just because the op lacked the discipline and could not deal with a cell phone does not mean it does not have it's place.

As for how some people use them, I do agree with some points, people walking around with ear pieces yapping away in line at stores, texting all the time, will driving. People who have no regard for certain situations.

I also agree, a cell phone is the cheapest way for most. I talk no more on my cell phone then I did on a land line, at least with the cell phone I have the ability to receive a customers call and respond which in turn, I make money so I'll be keeping mine.

Hey OP, how about that new fangled electricity that has become so bothersome to you with those high electric bills, or the car that uses so much gas, or that furnace burning too much Natural Gas. Are you making a real stand or just the easy ones, impress us, use candles, walk everywhere, cut firewood and truly stand alone. Good Luck.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >