Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Have your past relationships made you wiser or more skeptical      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HB2
Msg: 51
Have your past relationships made you wiser or more skepticalPage 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
said wiser earlier....been thinking on it and have to say it's more a combination of the two
pouring a pound of salt in with everything said from now on
 bugsybears
Msg: 52
Have your past relationships made you wiser or more skeptical
Posted: 5/13/2005 2:48:53 AM
i'd have to say both. it does make you wiser which makes you a little skeptical.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 53
Posted: 5/16/2005 5:50:38 AM
Cosmically speaking, all 'Santa Claus' & the 'Easter Bunny' did was made me less wiser and more skeptical.

However, I must admit, 'Bugs Bunny' and 'Elmer Fudd' snapped me out of it ... or ... maybe it was the old man kicking my ass off the Boob-Tube to get moving pulling them weeds, or there ain't gonna be nuthin' under that Tree come Yuletide.

But seriously, every new Relationship should be looked upon as a new Dawn, capitalizing on the gained knowledge of the past, leaving the paintbrush behind ...

SoulDragonN, When you can't trust your own judgement, what/who can you trust?

That ^^^ one just a little too easy.

Me of course !!!

skye2010
Msg: 54
Posted: 5/16/2005 7:14:04 AM
doubting Tommy Girl here-
I know all the cliche's about "leaving the past behind"-"not blaming everyone for someone else's mistakes"-blah blah blah....but maybe the real issue is within myself. If that's the case, (well I follow "me" everywhere I go,) so maybe there's nothing that can be done. So I'll just take life the way I want to. Confident in some parts....Doubter in others!

a wise skeptic
knows a tank septic
from a tank aqua life
for life sweet or full of strife
every judgement be our own
except the words engraved in stone
by then we'll be laying in our casket
under flowers in a basket
live to learn,learn to love
when in doubt,ask a dove

good luck everyone-"peace"(muah)
 wisebutadventurous
Msg: 55
Posted: 5/16/2005 10:34:02 AM
Wiser, If I didn't learn from my mistakes I'd repeat them over and over. I try not to be skeptical or bitter....If I ever get to be...the ***holes I've dated would have won the game! Not gonna happen.
 Rainy_Day1975
Msg: 56
Posted: 5/16/2005 12:38:16 PM
Wiser. I've learned a lot about myself, my flaws and how that's related to the failure of the relationships I've been in.

And dammit...I have to start standin' up for myself.

oh wait...I don't want to be bitter angry woman. So I'll just be me...and not so much the doormat.
 Doc Sage
Msg: 57
Posted: 5/16/2005 12:48:48 PM
Wiser I hope.
 YamIhere
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2005 12:49:37 PM
My therapist told me I’m one of the most skeptical people she’s ever met ... Found that to be a bit interesting.
 Fire Goddess
Msg: 59
Posted: 5/16/2005 12:50:47 PM
Ugh, I became paranoid.
 kr8ztwin
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2005 12:53:07 PM
both bigtime
 HB2
Msg: 61
Posted: 5/16/2005 12:53:21 PM
I've learned to treat them the way they treat me
 biziedizie
Msg: 62
Posted: 5/16/2005 1:03:48 PM
In every relationship I treat it as a fresh one and I leave the negatives from the last ones in the past.
 My.02 Cents
Msg: 63
Posted: 5/16/2005 1:07:02 PM
@Yam...We've been here before bud,...The mistaken belief that your skepticism will somehow "protect" you from hurt...Hurt has a funny way of finding those hearts guarded so carefully though, huh?........Sometimes, it's just not being able to have what we want, or the effort of keeping it at bay...But sooner or later, you'll have to get out there and learn to trust yourself again....I KNOW it's hard, but, it's like trying to learn how to swim on the dock...You have to be IN it to learn...And you CAN find what you want, and deserve, cause you're such a good guy...Dee
 Jenn_1971
Msg: 64
Posted: 5/16/2005 2:18:01 PM
my past relationship made me wiser to learn to be more skeptical...
 Raven34
Msg: 65
Posted: 5/16/2005 2:24:51 PM
A little bit of both I would think....maybe not skeptical as much as cautious.
 Cess
Msg: 66
Posted: 5/16/2005 11:27:41 PM
I do not regret any of my past relations, they were all good, and I learned something important from all of those guys, they are still my friends, knew me just too well to let them go.
 justaguy13
Msg: 67
Posted: 5/16/2005 11:28:50 PM
Wiser..........duhhhhhhhh......
 longte
Msg: 68
Posted: 5/17/2005 12:26:11 AM
Definitely Wiser

Learned so much
Gained so much

Yes Have been hurt on occassion

But they all made ME

I am quite Happy with the ME they made

MidnightChild
Msg: 69
Posted: 5/17/2005 12:30:39 AM
Definitely more skeptical AND wiser.
 RitzNB
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/31/2005 6:34:13 AM

On one hand wiser, on the other skeptical.

I think you better define what and who you want, but you become more skeptical that that person could actually exist!!!!!!!!!

@ supersomma
Well said. I totally agree.
 random4
Msg: 71
Posted: 7/31/2005 6:42:35 AM
My past relationships have made me unwise and impatient. I believe it is unlikely I will get along for long with anyone, and I have much less patience waiting for things to go wrong. I am highly skeptical because it seems to me either or both of these things is true:

I am not what women want.

Women do not want me for myself, but for the fantasy of romance they can find in my words and touch.
 RitzNB
Msg: 72
Posted: 8/1/2005 7:16:12 AM
^^^^^^
@ random
I think part of the problem is that as we get older we are more set in our ways which is why we become more impatient of other's.
 Blastkist
Msg: 73
Posted: 8/1/2005 8:01:30 AM
Wiser and much more discerning of who I choose to let into my life.
 random4
Msg: 74
Posted: 8/1/2005 8:05:52 AM
For me it is from having seen things happen before, so instead of feeling like I am doing something new and waiting to see how it turns out, I recognize it as something I already did and know how it is going to turn out. I can jump to the end of it even as it barely starts. Like reading a western or a romance novel, the same plot applies and only the names change. This could be a case of my set ways being able to only see things as what I already did, setting me in them further. If so, I refuse to get any older for I do not like being certain of futures. Then again, show me anyone whose unique and new experiences aren't that way only because they haven't done them before. We have all done love before. It brought us here to being single.

The basic plot is:
Feel lonely, dream of happiness.
Look for someone.
Find someone, get happy.
Get to know them, fall in love.

And then what happened last time?

I did what I did last time for a reason, and so did they. Will changing partners make any difference?

Maybe I have always been set in my ways only with age I have come to recognize what my way is. I can fiddle with the knobs and adjust the volume, tint, and contrast, but is the story not the story of me? I can change my perception. Can I change the outcome?

Once someone has said to me they know me inside and out and although they used to love me now they don't want anything to do with me, and it wasn't because I did anything bad like you hear about, it was just a change of heart, then how can I look at being loved the same way again? It is a bridge that falls out from under me half way across. Do I enjoy the first half of the crossing and pretend it won't happen again? Show me how that is done and I will try.

So I step out onto a new bridge and as soon as I see nothing but a long drop down below, I remember last time and turn around. I think the lesson is that love is a free fall, just try not to ever hit the ground. It may have something to do with flying being a requirement but having no wings. Was I supposed to be a butterfly by now? I must have got stuck in my caterpillar ways.
 Good_Time_Guy
Msg: 75
Posted: 8/1/2005 8:58:10 AM
Wiser and yet somewhat cynical, but giving up hope is not good for that is what keeps us going as humans. I still like to believe that one day I will meet someone so compatible that you would never leave their side, and would miss them every second they were away.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Have your past relationships made you wiser or more skeptical