Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > is it sin to be a wiccan?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 skyee?
Msg: 26
is it sin to be a wiccan?Page 2 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
hmm intresting.. but im not reallly in that whole "witchcraft thing" but some really deep poems .^_^. <<
 skyee?
Msg: 27
is it sin to be a wiccan?
Posted: 5/24/2005 9:15:36 PM
hey it cut off most of my post..o well... i do beleive in it though, but i just dont think its important =(
 NittanyLion
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/27/2005 11:27:00 AM

Well go to the last few pages of Revelations in the Bible and it is there written.

Hmmm.... I think you may be missing the point...
 NittanyLion
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/27/2005 12:10:18 PM
yikes.

Generally, I prefer people who speak their own words instead of repeating others. And again, you're missing the point.
 SoCal1972
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/27/2005 4:25:13 PM
for you, yes.
 RDtoo
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2005 10:31:45 PM
What, was it wrote in Black English?
 RDtoo
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2005 10:39:36 PM
You either have the worst command of grammar that I have seen, or it is past my bedtime.
 Frivolimous
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/27/2005 11:31:32 PM
what is the greater crime?

Stealing a pack of gum from a corner store?

or

Letting yourself waste away in grief?

--

Stealing a pack of gum doesn't cause that much harm to anyone, but laying in your bed in tears for days on end, spouting out 'why me's and 'oh no's, letting your life attrophy and your surroundings decay - that's a waste of a soul. Someone should intervene in this kind of situation, be it law or no. A sin against the self is still a sin.
 NittanyLion
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/28/2005 4:10:33 AM
Uh oh... looks like his posts are being deleted now. So much for the high-and-mighty attitude. Enjoy your day, lil.
 NittanyLion
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/28/2005 6:35:07 PM
(Keeping in mind, of course, that those with religions different than our own are not enemies...)
 NittanyLion
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/28/2005 7:22:13 PM
TNT?
 Frivolimous
Msg: 37
Posted: 5/29/2005 1:57:24 AM
If everyone follows the law "be good to each other" then there'd be no problems in the world. But what does that statement mean? Well, you can take that rule and expand it into the ten commandments. The ten commandments are all specifics on how to be good. But there are still some grey areas, and there are still some who would argue. Therefore more extrapolation is necessary - into the Torah (or Bible) to explain further how to lead a good life. Is that enough? It should be, but look around at the world and you'll see that it isn't. Therefore interpretations must be made, applications revised, new conditions taken into account. Is that enough? Oh no, then they need to be enforced somehow. Not too harsh or it's cruelty, not too lenient or you accomplish nothing. Then what? Then you need to investigate the interpretations and argue them, because with so much extrapolating and interpretations there are bound to be errors. The laws must also be defended from the unenlightened, who live in sin and argue that their way is best because that's the way they follow - and they know no better. The laws must be defended from false prophets and messiahs who would preach against truth for fame or fortune, or through being deceived themselves.

What do people argue against? well, every step. Those that are corrupt to the core would argue against the first step, 'be good to each other', claiming that it's a dog-eat-dog world and everyone must fend for themselves to rise in the evolutionary chain. Then there are the sinners who argue that, well, the ten commandments aren't that great. Idolatry? bah, I can worship a pop star, i'm not hurting anyone... I can worship a golden calf, not like the statue can lead me astray... Illicit sex? We've got condoms now! The rule doesn't apply any more. I can forge physical and emotional bonds with anyone I want, sever them at will. So I leave heartache, that's life. Life is pain.

Then we have false prophets - who preach through the bible, use a pure core to convince the masses, but interpret the word of God poorly. When taken to a radical extreme you can find false messiahs, who in every way seem to make sense, because they lead through a core of truth - but cloud it with emptiness and unenlightenment.

Following that it's sorta grey. You have the ones who reach an enlightened state through the word of God, and at that point, when they understand goodness, they either nitpick the little details that are only significant to those at the top, or work backwards, reinterpreting, defending, rewording, teaching, or any manner of other workings to guide those that are behind/below them.

Then, after reaching that level and ONLY after reaching that level, can you strip away the layers of laws and return to the core. Be good to each other. If you give up on law too early, you might miss something. If you read and understand 10% of the bible then say "yeah, i got that, I'm a good person" and don't go any further.. well, that's 90% that you've missed, and still quite a climb. If you read 90% and say 'well, that's good enough', there's still that 10% that can make you even better.

Achieving complete righteousness is a lifetime quest for some, spanning multiple lifetimes for most. Everyone sins. Nobody's perfect. Everyone will fall sometimes. Does that make you evil? no, that makes you human. What makes you evil is if you feel no remorse for your deeds, if you take no steps to correct them, and don't strive to correct yourself so that it can't happen again. If you fail a test, recognise it as a failure, look at what went wrong, try to fix it. But whatever you do, don't justify it. If you fail, recognise that you have failed, don't justify it away. If you succumb to temptation then it's because the temptation was too great, and your will was not strong enough. Don't dwell, don't fall - instead, take steps to fortify your will. They're just tests, remember that!
 NittanyLion
Msg: 38
Posted: 5/29/2005 6:52:07 AM
...so... then...in your opinion...no? lol
 Frivolimous
Msg: 39
Posted: 5/29/2005 1:04:35 PM
if the bible condemns it, obviously there's something to it. Witchcraft can be very powerful, just like prayer can bring about miracles. Not the lightning, fire and brimstone, levitation kind of magic - that's way beyond current human comprehension. Of course, nowadays the masses have no exposure to real magic, and aren't taught the true power of prayer.

Witches hate it, by the way, when you ask them to prove their faith. In fact, most people hate it when they are asked to prove their faiths. If you approach with a skeptical eye and look like the kind of person that just wants to be proven right, there's no point.

when you approached her, did you say something like "Alright, if you're a witch - cast a spell." If you really want to experience witchcraft, approach instead with an open mind and be willing to accept their truth. Ask not if they can cast a spell, ask sincerely if they can turn you into a believer. Unless you have the want and the will to walk down that path, there is no way for you to accept it.

rabidcanadian: and YOU! If you want to make a smoke bomb you don't just grab a chemistry set and start randomly mixing chemicals, you start with the fundamentals. Learn how the ingredients work from a chemical point of view. Then, when everything makes sense, making a smoke bomb will be as natural as riding a bike. Same with magic. People actually STUDY to become witches, it's not just a matter of wearing black clothes, having a black cat, and throwing random junk into a cauldron.
 NittanyLion
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/29/2005 1:38:49 PM
Forgive him rabid. He can get carried away.
 NittanyLion
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/29/2005 1:57:38 PM

Well, first reaction is "no, of course not..." But then, this question doesn't really make sense. Sin according to who's faith?!!
 NittanyLion
Msg: 42
Posted: 5/29/2005 2:00:52 PM
The same can be said for most organized religions: theirs is the one and only proper way...

That was getting at my point. Thanks.
 NittanyLion
Msg: 43
Posted: 5/29/2005 5:58:11 PM
pagan who couldn't give a shit less what the bible says. the concept of sin according to christians is meaningless to people who follow other faiths. this is a dumb question.

YOU WIN!!! I've been waiting for someone to say this since the thread began. Thread makes no sense to me. Your new car will be delivered shortly.

What has been baffling me the most are the answers from a Christian perspective that were presented in some sort of authoritative way.
 NittanyLion
Msg: 44
Posted: 5/29/2005 6:02:14 PM
Nice try, lil. She gets the car, though, not you. And there's only one.
 NittanyLion
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/29/2005 6:06:58 PM
No doubt that was the intent. Night.
 NittanyLion
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/29/2005 6:30:13 PM

as christians are usually really quick to holler about how they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Hey now, I don't make generalizations about YOU...

Car of your choice. It's not about "need." Don't be practical; it's a prize. Go for the gold.
 NittanyLion
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/29/2005 6:45:14 PM
I'd just like to suggest that most conversations re: religion, etc. involve more than one belief; "preaching to the choir" conversations die off quickly. Odds are very good that the vast, VAST majority of your conversations would lead you to this conclusion, but...

I don't think it's fair to make such broad, derogatory statements. I won't even get IN to the vast span of denominations in Christianity which can't all be lumped together.

Seriously, there are some pretty wacked out statements made by Wiccans on these threads... I don't make broad generalizations about you based on them, though...
 NittanyLion
Msg: 48
Posted: 5/29/2005 6:49:22 PM
Is it a sin to be a Wiccan?
The question is unanswerable.
 NittanyLion
Msg: 49
Posted: 5/29/2005 6:59:00 PM

Nit
only because the one who decieves will not tell you.

No, that's definitely not why.
 NittanyLion
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/29/2005 7:19:18 PM
First I just want to say that sometimes I find it frustrating in these threads that when you state an opinion, it's IMMEDIATELY attacked as incorrect. An opinion, by definition, can not be incorrect. And being told, for example, that my opinion is "ok if I can define why" is really kind of disrespectful. No offense, Just Me; you're just the last of a long line. I'm sure you meant no disrespect, but please know that that's how it comes across.

ANYWHO... the definition of what a "sin" is depends on the particular faith that you're discussing... If you ask me, "Do Christians belive that it's a sin to be a Wiccan," I could answer that. If you asked me how other particular faiths viewed the subject, I could answer that as well.

But the question, as stated, is unanswerable, because it has no base of perspective. There have been a lot of Christians (of what denomination I don't know) weighing in here with responses from the CHRISTIAN perspective. However, they generally haven't clarified that it's from the Christian belief system, opinions have just been stated as fact.

I understand that you (and everyone else that has faith in anything) believes your belief system to be the correct one, but that's as far as you, me, or anyone else can get. BELIEF that we're right. So, I guess my point is that we ought not be so self-righteous as to impose our beliefs on others as if they were the be-all/end-all... Especially with the current tone of world and inter-faith relations, we ought to be sensitive and respectful of differences.

A short bit ago, someone else on this thread was making broad generalizations about Christians "always thinking that their way is the only way," etc. (Sorry; I'm sure that was a misquote.) Anywho, I asked her not to make any assumptions like that about me just because I'm a christian; she was kind of adamate that "most Christians are like that.")

I still think that it isn't fair to make generalizations like that, but it's certainly understandable that it happens, given the attacks that I've seen here on POF. I'm sure she's had worse experiences in "real life."

Well, that's my opinion, and my explanation. Take it or leave it.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > is it sin to be a wiccan?