Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > American culture infiltrating Australia...how do we stop it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nikinikaia
Msg: 76
view profile
History
American culture infiltrating Australia...how do we stop it?Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
^^^^ Thanks for the clarification! Do you like vanilla ice cream with the pie? How about Dutch Apple? I'll be sure and send it ahead when I come to visit Tas - I think Pauline told me her last post when she visited her made it there in like 4 months!! HMMMM... better freeze it and send it in dry ice!! LMAO

Never want to intrude, just enjoy having fun!!
 wilderness man
Msg: 77
view profile
History
American culture infiltrating Australia...how do we stop it?
Posted: 7/16/2007 11:34:40 PM
I really think you dont stop some cultures from infiltrating certain societies only ones that have lost or havent found themselves may be influenced just to fit in. The old addage prevails'you stand for something or fall for anything" if living your life true to yourself, you live an honorable life. be it american or australian.............Joseph
 bayrab
Msg: 78
Posted: 8/18/2007 7:21:23 PM
well, Namah, I'm a blue ribbon apple pie maker.. I'll be sure to bring one when I visit australia!

this thread kind of makes me wince. Most of the things OP didn't like, I don't either! but don't blame us for everything!

ya never know when I might show up in your wonderful country. i hope I'd be welcome!
 Cinder_ella
Msg: 79
Posted: 8/18/2007 7:25:50 PM
All those bearing apple pie are most welcome And some twinkies too please.
 atalia
Msg: 80
Posted: 8/18/2007 7:28:12 PM
How to stop it? Hmmm we could ban pof I get more contacts from america then Auzzies! they claim to like my inane humour, someones gotta
 Heilige_Lance
Msg: 81
Posted: 8/19/2007 4:30:34 AM
how do we stop it>? I dont know, but I do my bit by slagging it off and ignoring it in all its hideous forms.

I prefer UK culture and remain proud that the Union Jack remains on our flag.
 ClumsyOaf
Msg: 82
Posted: 8/19/2007 4:35:41 AM
Irony really................whats the national dish of the UK these days?.............curry
 mystymorn
Msg: 83
Posted: 8/19/2007 7:59:54 AM
Unfortunately, all countries get infiltrated by some other countries culture in some form or another.... as to the politcal side of things, alot of americans are not happy with the way things are.....as to americans coming on to Aussie forum, please come to any of ours and make your voice heard, we just try to help ya all figure us americans out we aim to please!!!!..luv ya from this lil ole suthern girl
 3rdedition
Msg: 84
Posted: 8/19/2007 9:51:48 AM
Wow, this thread is an eye-opener. I traveled to Australia and New Zealand several years ago with my son. Best trip we ever had - maybe ever will have. Absolutely loved the place and the people. And we were treated very nicely and welcomed by everyone we interacted with. Certainly had no reason at all to behave differently to them in return. After that trip, I always thought that if ever I was to move away to another part of the world it would be Australia without a doubt. And hell, the fact that the men I happened to meet there were so good-looking and had such great personalities just iced the cake! lol When I returned, I told my niece that I wished I could take home some seeds to plant those kinds of men here!

But could I have been wrong maybe? A lot of people in the US don't care much for the same things you've complained about in this thread. And we don't all like the way it's become such a mixed bag of tricks over here either really. I won't make the mistake of assuming an entire country's population feels the same way as some people in this thread do. But it really is sad to read it after having such good feelings about a place.

Sorry to trespass on your forum.... that must make me look like I'm just another American thinking they can do whatever they want.
 nikinikaia
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2007 10:56:27 AM
I don't think all Aus feel the same way about Americans - I have a great friend who lives in Tasmania who has been here several times to visit. She is great and we keep in touch regularly - like old chums who have never been apart.

I hope to visit Tas one day REAL soon, and I'd hate to think that she is the exception and not the norm when I'm there. I've chatted with some great Aus's here and on other Messenger programs and haven't ever had any negativity directed towards me because I'm an American...unless I happen to disagree with their opinions that is! LMAO!

Seriously, though, as stated in previous posts, Americans are as unhappy about what has happened in our culture as the rest of the world is unhappy with Americans. But, like everything else in any society - it is up to the society to change the condition before the condition changes the society. A long row to hoe for sure.

So, as far as stopping the infiltration of American culture into the Ausland - look inside the Aus society and see where the changes need to start. Any culture can seep in if the cracks are not policed by the society.

Myself, I like learning about other cultures from all over the world - doesn't mean I'll accept the tenets of those cultures as my own just because I learn about them. We each have a duty to ourselves, our families, our friends and our country to do the best and be the best we can - that means our decisions as well.

Keep the comments coming!

Cinder_ella
Msg: 86
Posted: 8/19/2007 3:12:49 PM
I think Australia will always have its own identity, based on our origins. We started as a penal colony which was mostly populated with pommy crims (scuse the slang). Not surprising that we have adopted, or should I say adapted that language to our own unique way of speaking. Now they say we are a "cultural melting-pot", the main attractions being our weather, standard of living and way of life.

I think its good to have influences from other countries, it broadens the mind and makes our way of thinking more flexible. Having said that, I also believe that it is important that other cultures assimilate to a certain extent, as opposed to setting up enclaves of their own culture, where many don't even speak English.

Its simple really, everyone has a mind of their own. If they don't wish to embrace American culture then don't. Its a choice.
 Mildura3500
Msg: 87
Posted: 8/19/2007 8:09:24 PM
I think there are a lot worse things happening here now.
Someone once said "if your not part of the solution you're part of the problem"
That Muslim cleric is more offensive to Aussie women than any music video I have ever seen.
 Lacrymosa
Msg: 88
Posted: 8/19/2007 9:56:07 PM

whats wrong with foxtel and american tv?
if home and away, neighbours or big brother were the only things on tv i'd sell it.

They show Passions.....

Timmy scares the bejesus out of me......
 ~ charli ~
Msg: 89
Posted: 8/19/2007 10:56:18 PM
Ha ha!! I rock to that show.
What time and what channel?

DoctorG2003
Msg: 90
Posted: 8/19/2007 11:06:01 PM
All cultures offer us the good and the bad. We accept with ease some of the really great music that has come from American artists, so, sometimes we get stuck with some bad things as well.
What can we do? Well, we can start by upgrading and preserving our own values, and, more importantly, taking the time to share these values with the younger generation.
As someone who has spent a great deal of time in the US, I know that individual Americans are forever being blamed for the ills of their politicians, so I think we, on PoF should be careful not to cast the blame net over the whole country.
I am in Asia at the moment, and have been asked more than once "why did Australia invade Iraq?" I can only answer that not all Australians agree with that decision, just as all Americans don't.
I have great fun getting onto the US Forums and having the occasional "dig" at the Yanks so, can we please be gracious when they return the "dig".
 Twodoit
Msg: 91
Posted: 8/20/2007 4:35:20 AM
I don't think the so called cultural things are a real big threat to this country as a lot of them are based on marketing images and that changes all the time
I'm a fan of Micheal Moore ( and the Simpsons and South Park too ) as he shows up aspects of American society and the driving forces ( does that read money ) of things that happen in that country and whether or not you like the way he shows the issues his analaysis of the results on the American population are pretty close to the mark
If you have seen his movies you will know what I mean.
These are the things we don't want here,their structures and methods of business and Government. A population afraid to stand up to these institutions and governments for fear of what they will loose rather than a Govt. afraid of the population.
And don't forget the American ethos that a war is good for the economy

Is it the same here.................maybe we can ask them both in September....
 Buzzzzz
Msg: 92
Posted: 8/22/2007 1:04:22 PM
Running off the road a bit:
Australia is a lot of things to a lot of people worldwide.
I’m a white male originally from South Louisiana .
I have scarcely a high school education. Completed high school in the Navy. Studied fisheries biology in collage just long enough to realize, was NOT college material.

I guess it was in the late 50’s early sixties read about Australia was offering land and if my memory serves me, some financial incentive to basically “homestead” some areas !

In my youth, my image of the country, being a lover of the water, had hundreds of miles of pristine coastal reefs vast areas of mostly untamed country. Sounded like food for the soul. After sending an inquiry letter to the approprate office received in the mail a REAM of information about every conceivable aspect of Australian life at the time.

Occasionally saw aerial and satellite footage of the great barrier reef and marine life footage confirming the staggering beauty of the place!

Some time later in the 50’s I think there was an article in "Skin Diver" magazine on the “Crown of thorns” starfish dessimating the reefs and ultimately as I recall the “Cause” of the proliferation of that reef eating menace was the result of mining I believe in the “Queens land” area Previously described as pretty much Tropical Rain Forest terms!

My only recollection of my attitude about what little I knew about the Australian people was , they spoke an interesting variation of my own language and their population and land was easily as diverse as ours.

A lifetime later and the closest I’ve gotten to see Australia was a week in Tahiti sailing around Raiatea and Taha.

Still harbor dreams at the age of 64 of seeing what I believe to be a coastal rain forest along the “Queens land Coast”. And perhaps the reefs NOW INFESTED WITH MAN EATING SHARKS .

Had no idea so many people might not like me being an American…and I did not even get a chance to pick off one of your nice fat groupers on a far away reef !

Ps
**I would get “the chair” like half our population, if we could eliminate most of the politicians and fools that negatively influence our society also.
**I suspect the backward hat thing was from welding. When welding the bill kept hot metal from going down your back/collar and the front protected your forehead and cushioned the band around the hood.

Gudday
 likes_a_laugh
Msg: 93
Posted: 8/23/2007 5:32:14 AM
Wow, these last three posts got my head spinning waaaay too fast... what the?

Smallish english speaking population adjacent to Asia. An easy target for an overflowing media machine from across the Pacific. So we cop it and our young folk lap up the trendy/trashy modern culture they are bombarded with.

A good while ago it was the 'fatherly' British influence that shaped the Australian psyche. I think the 'lucky country' held its own for a couple of decades after WWII, but we're sinking fast in the face of globalisation. Forget the war against terror, it's the war against the diluting culture we're losing every day.

And some sheila got into big trouble on a US flight for saying 'fair dinkum' to the hostie a week or so ago.....what the?
 bayrab
Msg: 94
Posted: 8/23/2007 7:14:46 AM
I hope you guys aren't saying I'd be unwelcome in your country. Suppose I fell in love with someone from Queensland and moved to Australia to be with him. Would I be a pariah because I'm American?????????????????????????????????????????

I sure hope not. If one of you came to this country and moved in next door, I'd do everything I could to make you feel welcome here.
 bayrab
Msg: 95
Posted: 8/23/2007 10:37:36 AM
hehehe, thanks. LAnd that would be Dorothy who lived in Kansas and went to Oz!

Alice was an Englander I do believe and she atemushrooms and other odd stuff, hehehehehehehehehe

and trust me, a lot of Americans aren't thrilled with the present political scene either! and I hate crap rap and hip hop and jeans hanging off boys' butts

Oh, and SANDGROPER???????? splain please to this dumb american, LOL
 Gcat
Msg: 96
Posted: 8/23/2007 12:52:36 PM

Oh, and SANDGROPER???????? splain please to this dumb american, LOL

They are the weirdo's that live out in the West of our great nation! God bless em!
( Amongst other things they are a pretty handy mob when it comes to sailing yachts ! )

In reality a sandgroper is a bug/ grasshopper/ earwig looking thing and not exactly pretty. There is a several species in Western Australia. The fact that we use it as a term of endearment/ reference tells you a little bit about Aussie humour...
 bayrab
Msg: 97
Posted: 8/23/2007 7:27:15 PM
hehehehehe. I'm learning Aussie speak, slowly, LOL.....

a sandgroper sounds like a downright ugly bug, but even ugly bugs have some endearing qualities, LOL.

Not being into sailing yachts, I'll have to take your word for it. How handy are they around horses is the important question I would have, hahahaha
 3rdedition
Msg: 98
Posted: 8/23/2007 7:46:37 PM
bayrab - Alice and her mushrooms LOL imagine that!

Chiny- I'm so glad you explained your position. This thread was kind of depressing after having been to Australia. Seemed to reflect the opposite of what I'd seen for myself there. But now I feel better lol thank you!! Cause I really do want to go back someday.

We had a taxi in Melbourne and the cooooolest driver in the world! He took us for a spin around the Grand Prix in the cab! hahaha My son was 14 at the time and trust me - nothing could ever kill that memory for him (or me).

ebgdae
Msg: 99
Posted: 8/23/2007 9:10:55 PM
come oooon,,,stop pulling Bayrab's chain

West Australian..................Sandgroper
South Australian.................Croweater
Victorian.............................Mexican
Northern Territorian..........Territorian
New South Welshmen.........Cochroach
Queenslander........... ..........Bananabender
Tasmanian.........................apple or idiot ( not sure)
 bayrab
Msg: 100
Posted: 8/23/2007 10:45:16 PM

West Australian..................Sandgroper
South Australian.................Croweater
Victorian.............................Mexican
Northern Territorian..........Territorian
New South Welshmen.........Cochroach
Queenslander........... ..........Bananabender
Tasmanian.........................apple or idiot ( not sure)

hahaha, I see, I think. LOL
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > American culture infiltrating Australia...how do we stop it?