Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > American culture infiltrating Australia...how do we stop it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 chev 69
Msg: 76
American culture infiltrating Australia...how do we stop it?Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
what have the americans done for us politically?
other than getting aust involved in the new bruce willis movie, IRAQ, VIETNAM II
MAKING US TARGETS ALL OVER THE WORLD
EG BALI
 chev 69
Msg: 77
American culture infiltrating Australia...how do we stop it?
Posted: 7/16/2007 8:48:39 AM
F****ing american politicians believe they are the only country in the world& to a lesser degree their constituants
 NaamahReincarnated
Msg: 78
Posted: 7/16/2007 8:51:22 AM
^^^ This thread is about cultural influences not political influence. There are other threads for those thoughts.
 Brizguy_2007
Msg: 79
Posted: 7/16/2007 1:07:00 PM
They brought us the 69 Chevrolet.....See, the glass is actually half full
 nikinikaia
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2007 2:50:57 PM

Hey, ram, I'm with you - I live in the USA and I haaaaaattttteeeee those things too!

Just keep your kids close to the vest (I'd say brea$t, but I don't want censored on my first post in Aus! lol) - that's the only way. Too many kids left to their own designs when it comes to buying music, clothes, eating, watching TV.

It's the old 'supply and demand' - if it doesn't sell, it doesn't stay...
 jannick06
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2007 5:25:40 PM
I have to agree with NaamahReincarnated
we have a beautiful country and we are soooo very lucky
 nikinikaia
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2007 8:17:08 PM

i feel stripped naked... the Americans are reading the Australian threads!!!

possibilitarian, I apologize if you feel I've invaded your turf...that is not my intent - have several Aussie friends and just enjoy interacting with and making new ones. One of my best net buds is a native of and lives in Tasmania - where I am hoping soon I will be visiting!

If my posting on your threads is an imposition I will graciously bow out. I chat with many an Aus over Yahoo, ICQ and MSN, so I tend to gravitate towards the Aussie conversations.

Just say the word - any of you - if you would prefer I not interact here.
 NaamahReincarnated
Msg: 83
Posted: 7/16/2007 8:44:06 PM
^^^ Personally I read Possibilitarian's post as just a joking around sort of thing. Others have since posted saying that everyone is welcome here as far as most (probably all) Aussie members are concerned. The only reason it then got further mention was cos some here remember when the PoF moderators at one stage actively stopped non-Aussies from posting in the Aussie forums. It wasn't the Aussies themselves who sought that, but the rules on local forums say they are for local users. That's all that was being referred to I think, not any intent to stop "American culture from infiltrating Australia" at a forum level. I think though, that you should be made to bring apple pie (for everyone) every time you visit. You can infiltrate us with a piece of that American culture any ol' time.
 nikinikaia
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2007 8:53:07 PM
^^^^ Thanks for the clarification! Do you like vanilla ice cream with the pie? How about Dutch Apple? I'll be sure and send it ahead when I come to visit Tas - I think Pauline told me her last post when she visited her made it there in like 4 months!! HMMMM... better freeze it and send it in dry ice!! LMAO

Never want to intrude, just enjoy having fun!!
 wilderness man
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2007 11:34:40 PM
I really think you dont stop some cultures from infiltrating certain societies only ones that have lost or havent found themselves may be influenced just to fit in. The old addage prevails'you stand for something or fall for anything" if living your life true to yourself, you live an honorable life. be it american or australian.............Joseph
 bayrab
Msg: 86
Posted: 8/18/2007 7:21:23 PM
well, Namah, I'm a blue ribbon apple pie maker.. I'll be sure to bring one when I visit australia!

this thread kind of makes me wince. Most of the things OP didn't like, I don't either! but don't blame us for everything!

ya never know when I might show up in your wonderful country. i hope I'd be welcome!
 Cinder_ella
Msg: 87
Posted: 8/18/2007 7:25:50 PM
All those bearing apple pie are most welcome And some twinkies too please.
 atalia
Msg: 88
Posted: 8/18/2007 7:28:12 PM
How to stop it? Hmmm we could ban pof I get more contacts from america then Auzzies! they claim to like my inane humour, someones gotta
 Heilige_Lance
Msg: 89
Posted: 8/19/2007 4:30:34 AM
how do we stop it>? I dont know, but I do my bit by slagging it off and ignoring it in all its hideous forms.

I prefer UK culture and remain proud that the Union Jack remains on our flag.
 ClumsyOaf
Msg: 90
Posted: 8/19/2007 4:35:41 AM
Irony really................whats the national dish of the UK these days?.............curry
 mystymorn
Msg: 91
Posted: 8/19/2007 7:59:54 AM
Unfortunately, all countries get infiltrated by some other countries culture in some form or another.... as to the politcal side of things, alot of americans are not happy with the way things are.....as to americans coming on to Aussie forum, please come to any of ours and make your voice heard, we just try to help ya all figure us americans out we aim to please!!!!..luv ya from this lil ole suthern girl
 johnconiston
Msg: 92
Posted: 8/19/2007 8:29:35 AM
Be proud of your own history and use the on and off button on the TV. do not use the word awesome when you dont know how to describe something and insist that rap and US slang is not allowed into your vocabulary. as for America being arrogant. America needs to remember that America is a big part of the world only and that the world isnt a big part of America.
 3rdedition
Msg: 93
Posted: 8/19/2007 9:51:48 AM
Wow, this thread is an eye-opener. I traveled to Australia and New Zealand several years ago with my son. Best trip we ever had - maybe ever will have. Absolutely loved the place and the people. And we were treated very nicely and welcomed by everyone we interacted with. Certainly had no reason at all to behave differently to them in return. After that trip, I always thought that if ever I was to move away to another part of the world it would be Australia without a doubt. And hell, the fact that the men I happened to meet there were so good-looking and had such great personalities just iced the cake! lol When I returned, I told my niece that I wished I could take home some seeds to plant those kinds of men here!

But could I have been wrong maybe? A lot of people in the US don't care much for the same things you've complained about in this thread. And we don't all like the way it's become such a mixed bag of tricks over here either really. I won't make the mistake of assuming an entire country's population feels the same way as some people in this thread do. But it really is sad to read it after having such good feelings about a place.

Sorry to trespass on your forum.... that must make me look like I'm just another American thinking they can do whatever they want.
 nikinikaia
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2007 10:56:27 AM
I don't think all Aus feel the same way about Americans - I have a great friend who lives in Tasmania who has been here several times to visit. She is great and we keep in touch regularly - like old chums who have never been apart.

I hope to visit Tas one day REAL soon, and I'd hate to think that she is the exception and not the norm when I'm there. I've chatted with some great Aus's here and on other Messenger programs and haven't ever had any negativity directed towards me because I'm an American...unless I happen to disagree with their opinions that is! LMAO!

Seriously, though, as stated in previous posts, Americans are as unhappy about what has happened in our culture as the rest of the world is unhappy with Americans. But, like everything else in any society - it is up to the society to change the condition before the condition changes the society. A long row to hoe for sure.

So, as far as stopping the infiltration of American culture into the Ausland - look inside the Aus society and see where the changes need to start. Any culture can seep in if the cracks are not policed by the society.

Myself, I like learning about other cultures from all over the world - doesn't mean I'll accept the tenets of those cultures as my own just because I learn about them. We each have a duty to ourselves, our families, our friends and our country to do the best and be the best we can - that means our decisions as well.

Keep the comments coming!

Chiny®™©
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2007 11:31:18 AM

I prefer UK culture and remain proud that the Union Jack remains on our flag.

Irony really................whats the national dish of the UK these days?.............curry

There are a lot of “misbeliefs” regarding Australian culture. Take our language for starters; many people in today’s modern Australian society believe that we speak an English, including slang that is solely and exclusively peculiar to Australia. This is not so.

Just about all of it comes from the UK and Ireland. Lets take the word “mate” as an example; meaning a partner, an acquaintance, a close friend, a sworn friend, a way of addressing someone implying equality and goodwill; frequently used to a casual acquaintance, especially when one has forgotten another’s name. It is in everyday common use in the UK and Ireland and elsewhere in the world and means the same as it means in Australia.

“Fair dinkum” meaning “really” and or “without doubt”, in the Aussie context. It originated in England and is known as archaic (old), English meaning a fair share of the workload. Most probably in common use in its time and came to Australia in a batch of convicts or immigrants. There are also stories that it comes from Chinese gold miners of the time, it’s meaning being “real gold”. It is also used in New Zealand and has the same meaning as in Australia.

Sheila, meaning any woman in the Australian context, the word originated in Ireland. In the Celtic context it can mean a figure (woman), displaying her open vulva in Celtic stone carvings, as well as a common female name in Ireland. Used alongside the name ‘Paddy’ to represent the archetypal Irish couple. “Sheila” came to mean any female, whether Irish or not. This British use of “Sheila” was then transported to the colonies. When spelt “Sheela” it is also the Hindi (Indian) word for a woman or a dainty person as in a man whom is very dainty/feminine like.

“Yewee” as in “chuck a yewee” in the road meaning to make a “U” turn in the road. Fairly modern Aussie slang you would think? I was in Brighten, England in 1980, was in a taxi looking for a particular hotel. Strange, but the taxi driver didn’t know of it, anyway we’d just shot past it on the opposite side of the road. I spotted it and said to the driver “there it is, chuck a yewee here”. He immediately made a “U” turn and went back. As I was getting my suitcase out, curiously I asked how he knew what I had meant by “yewee” he said, “whatcha ya mean, we say it everyday, mate”.

Two bob, meaning twenty cents. “Bob” is English C!ckney or London slang for “schilling”. Before decimalization here in Australia “bob” also meant schilling, but it is originally, English slang. Of course after decimalization here in Oz “bob” transferred across to mean “cents”

We could go on and on, but there are some true Australian words and all of them Aboriginal such as Yakka-hard work, billabong-waterhole in a dry river bed, bung-sick or broken as in I got a bung knee/back etc, Canberra-meeting place and many more.

I asked an acquaintance of mine, a retired English Literature. Teacher, for his opinion on why people think that Australian slang is purely Australian in origin. His “opinion” was that after Australia opened it’s doors to all, many of the people that arrived here were from non-English speaking backgrounds.

This was a total break from the original immigrants whom were always from the British Isles. As they and their offspring learnt/were tutored in English, they believed it to be Australian. It was their introduction to the English language but from an Australian perspective. So they think its Australian, as they have no knowledge of the origins.

As for the Union Jack (post 89), made up of the symbols of Saints George, Andrew and Patrick. Saint David is not represented. It is actually called the “Union Flag” and is called the “Union Jack” only when it was used at sea. The national identifying flag of a nation being a “jack”, flown from the jackstaff on the prow of a boat/ship.

Saint George is the patron saint of England. His symbol being a red cross on a white field. He was actually born in Turkey, he lived in 3rd century AD, his parents were Christian, he later lived in Palestine, became a Roman soldier, protested against Rome's persecution of Christians, was imprisoned and tortured and beheaded at Lydda in Palestine and was an early Christian martyr. He never set foot in England, when he slew his mythical dragon he was in Libya, in North Africa, in the 3rd Century AD. The earliest known British reference to Saint George occurs in an account by St. Adamnan, the 7th century Abbot of lona. He's believed to have heard the story from Arcuif, a French bishop who had travelled to Jerusalem and other holy places in Palestine. The saint is also mentioned in the writings of the Venerable Bede.

So Saint George was not an English man he was actually an Asian man. When he was alive England did not even exist.

Saint Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland. He was born in Bethsaida in Galilee, he was born and brought up as a Jew, he spoke Aramaic, he was the elder brother of Saint Peter, Andrew was a fisherman by trade, he was the second person to be baptised by John the Baptist after Jesus, Andrew was martyred for his faith in Patras, Greece. Legend has it that some of St Andrew's bones were taken from Greece to Scotland by St. Rule (also known as St Regulus) in Pictish times (from the 6th Century). His emblem is a cross Saltire, a diagonal white cross on a field of blue.

Saint Andrew was not a Scotsman, he was a Jew, an Asian man. Some of his bones (not all), ended up in Scotland, as that is where the ship that was carrying them got shipwrecked. So they stayed there. Andrew never set foot in Scotland nor did Scotland exist when he was alive.

Saint Patrick the patron saint of Ireland, did really exist, born in Britain in 387 AD at Banwen in Wales, his original name was Maewyn Succat; he became Patrick when he became a bishop. His father, Calpurnius, was a Roman official, St Patrick was originally a pagan, not a Christian, he was taken to Ireland as a slave at age 16 and escaped after 6 years, studied in France at the monastery of St Martin's in Tours, taught by Saint Germaine, became a Catholic priest and later a Bishop, returned to Ireland in 432 AD as a missionary. He died either in 461 AD, or 493 AD and is buried in Downpatrick according to legend. St Patrick was buried there in the 12th century. His grave however, lies in the Anglican side of the cemetery.

Saint Patrick played a major part in converting the Irish to Catholicism, some of his writings survive, the Confessio and the Letter to Coroticus. But was he totally responsible for the introduction of Catholic beliefs to Ireland? The history books say probably not. There's good evidence that there were believers in Ireland before Patrick arrived.

Did St Patrick drive the snakes out of Ireland?

No he didn't, because it's unlikely there ever were any snakes in Ireland. The snake may be a reference to serpent, a symbol of evil, and the driving out a reference to Patrick's mission to rid Ireland of pagan (Druid), influence.
Saint Patrick’s symbol is the red diagonal cross on a field of white. That is, of course in 1801, when the whole of Ireland was in the British Union. The present Irish flag is a simple tricolour.

Poignantly, Patrick also writes of his longing to leave Ireland.

How I would have loved to go to my country and my parents, and also to Gaul in order to visit the brethren and to see the face of the saints of my Lord! God knows it! that I much desired it; but I am bound by the Spirit.”

Saint Patrick was not an Irish man, he was a Welsh man.

Saint David is the patron saint of Wales The Welsh flag is a red dragon on a green and white field. It is not represented in the Union Flag and that is a bone of contention with the Welsh people. The Welsh flag has two equal horizontal stripes, white above green, and a large red dragon passant. The dragon standard was perhaps first seen in Britain in the shape of the "draco" a standard carried by the cohorts of the Roman legion. The Romans appear to have been inspired by the dragon standard carried by their Dacian and Parthian (Iranian), enemies and had adopted the dragon symbol by the third century.

Romans introduced the dragon legends and symbols to Britain. The Romans themselves were introduced to dragons from the dragon symbols of their Asian enemies, such as the Iranians.

St. David really existed and was a Welshman; he was at the heart of the Welsh church in the 6th century and came from an aristocratic family in West Wales. His mother was a saint, Saint Non, his teacher was also a saint, St Paulinus. He founded a large monastery in West Wales and was one of the early saints who helped to spread Christianity among the pagan Celtic tribes of Western Britain.

He became Archbishop of Wales, but remained in his community at Menevia (now called St Davids). He was active in supressing the Pelagian heresy, his shrine became a great place of pilgrimage; four visits to the shrine at St David's were considered the equivalent of two to Rome, and one to Jerusalem!

The most famous story about Saint David tells how he was preaching to a huge crowd and the ground is said to have risen up, so that he was standing on a hill and everyone had a better chance of hearing him.

Things aren’t always as they seem. With time the legends/myths become true believable facts where no facts actually existed in the first place. Things are misconstrued, twisted by adept public personalities to deliver the requirements of what is required at whatever particular time to the masses that are ignorant, want to believe or are easily led. Propaganda and fear mongering will always fly out the window when one delves a little further into historical fact and fact will always thrash fiction.
 Cinder_ella
Msg: 96
Posted: 8/19/2007 3:12:49 PM
I think Australia will always have its own identity, based on our origins. We started as a penal colony which was mostly populated with pommy crims (scuse the slang). Not surprising that we have adopted, or should I say adapted that language to our own unique way of speaking. Now they say we are a "cultural melting-pot", the main attractions being our weather, standard of living and way of life.

I think its good to have influences from other countries, it broadens the mind and makes our way of thinking more flexible. Having said that, I also believe that it is important that other cultures assimilate to a certain extent, as opposed to setting up enclaves of their own culture, where many don't even speak English.

Its simple really, everyone has a mind of their own. If they don't wish to embrace American culture then don't. Its a choice.
 Mildura3500
Msg: 97
Posted: 8/19/2007 8:09:24 PM
I think there are a lot worse things happening here now.
Someone once said "if your not part of the solution you're part of the problem"
That Muslim cleric is more offensive to Aussie women than any music video I have ever seen.
 Lacrymosa
Msg: 98
Posted: 8/19/2007 9:56:07 PM

whats wrong with foxtel and american tv?
if home and away, neighbours or big brother were the only things on tv i'd sell it.

They show Passions.....

Timmy scares the bejesus out of me......
 ~ charli ~
Msg: 99
Posted: 8/19/2007 10:56:18 PM
Ha ha!! I rock to that show.
What time and what channel?

DoctorG2003
Msg: 100
Posted: 8/19/2007 11:06:01 PM
All cultures offer us the good and the bad. We accept with ease some of the really great music that has come from American artists, so, sometimes we get stuck with some bad things as well.
What can we do? Well, we can start by upgrading and preserving our own values, and, more importantly, taking the time to share these values with the younger generation.
As someone who has spent a great deal of time in the US, I know that individual Americans are forever being blamed for the ills of their politicians, so I think we, on PoF should be careful not to cast the blame net over the whole country.
I am in Asia at the moment, and have been asked more than once "why did Australia invade Iraq?" I can only answer that not all Australians agree with that decision, just as all Americans don't.
I have great fun getting onto the US Forums and having the occasional "dig" at the Yanks so, can we please be gracious when they return the "dig".
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > American culture infiltrating Australia...how do we stop it?