Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 leprechaunshag
Msg: 377
Over 45 Men, How should we dress? OK Ladies fire away!Page 14 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
Ok, I had to get in on this one...
Nothing is more yummy than a man in nice jeans and polo shirt. If you have the butt to pull off a little snug-fit to show it off, kudos to you, but if not, stay clear of the tight jeans please. Myself, I want to meet somebody dressed casually...jeans, nice comfy shirt, slight smell of cologne, neat hair (whether it is long and tied back, trimmed neatly, or bald headed), nice clean teeth, no excessive jewelry, and nice but comfy shoes. I love the look of a man with no socks on in his loafers, but maybe I am a little off. I find a pair of large naked feet so cute!
Briefs or Boxers...? Depends on how you intend on packaging the goods...a nice cute butt in briefs is real nice, but a great fitting pair of boxers will do the trick just as well.

My pet peeves: men with hairy ears and bushy eyebrows...come on guys,,you HAD to have noticed them! Don't take the focus away from your face and eyes by having us dwell on them....!
And a tip...if you are shopping and at a loss...ASK somebody! I used to always ask a guy shopping near me if I was conflicted about a purchase for my ex. We would much rather help you than see you out in public looking like a goof.
And the socks with sandals..agreed, drop that look!
I am over 50 and think that men over 50 can look great with little effort too.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 378
Over 45 Men, How should we dress? OK Ladies fire away!
Posted: 10/1/2008 4:22:06 PM
OK... but how should we dress for such a... um... discussion

...Umm probably less would be better. You two have been heating up the threads, so the clothes won't be on for very long anyhow....have fun.

...maeflowers
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 380
Posted: 10/1/2008 9:45:45 PM
um, I don't know...
gotta wonder how he earned the name "petered out".
then again, this is only a "debate", would it require getting a room just to (ahem) talk?
oh!!! maybe a conference room??? yeah!
I could sure teach that young petered-out whipper snapper how to better whip his snapper...er, ah....I mean, how to win a debate.

..Pardon me.... but are you saying that you could possibly help poor peeps like Peter perk up a puny pecker with plenty of practice?......phew!

...maeflowers
 OldFolkie
Msg: 381
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2008 10:04:47 PM
LOL

Say that as fast as you can three times in a row!

I'm a firm believer in "practice makes perfect" (or at least "not too shabby")!
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 389
Posted: 10/2/2008 8:28:22 PM

Pssst... wait until you see my Big Bang...

...Be still my beating heart .....* off she goes to set up her web cam *

...maeflowers
 CompletelyDone
Msg: 390
Posted: 10/21/2008 10:49:07 PM
Now what would I be wearing that would make you say, Oh god I hope that's not him?

Saggy jeans with the butt somewhere halfway down your legs. My Gawd... The style for young guys is to dress like that and it's bad enough but when the older gents do it, it's just an eyesore! I walked down the street a few steps behind an older guy a few days ago and thought initially what a nice head of hair he had but when my eyes took in the rest of him, I thought "Mister, what's the matter with you?" If you're going to wear jeans, make sure they fit nice.

I love it when a guy stays conscious of what he wears. A good-fitting pair of dress slacks or jeans with a tucked-in shirt and a nice (preferrably leather) dress jacket would be good choices on any first date. And dress shoes or boots.. NOT sneakers.

I am a little different in that I have a penchant for "country gentlemen" but that's just me.

Edit: Oops... didn't realize I was butting in on a party... Ooops... Heh Heh...
 Rythmn
Msg: 391
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2008 11:29:17 PM
clean, well groomed, no holes in clothes and all frumpy and wrinkly, no hair all over your neck and coming out of your nose! dress in sync with the restaurant or geographic area, clean and well groomed hands as well. no dirt from work in your nails, smoothed calluses and filed nails that don't cut our skin. remember hands are like sexual organs to us women-- we will be checking them out! no dressing like an old man. keep with the times.

my business days are over. in santa cruz, a beach and hippy town, jeans and t shirt are fine--unless it's fine dining. just beware of the logos from the free ones! there are t shirts and there are t shirts. please, no hawaiian shirts on the first date. no golf clothes like they have in retirement villages! seeing as how you asked! however, i would not make a decision based upon the hawaiian shirt, just tired of seeing them everywhere around here and they often don't look good.

table manners!!!!! ugh. only my dog is allowed to continually inhale his food, non stop or eat straight from the bowl with no utensils and w/o looking up. if you want a walk, get adopted at the aspca.

smell good too.

now, if you can dance........and move........that is like a million dollar suit!
 joiseyboyjoe
Msg: 397
Posted: 12/30/2008 6:20:01 PM
I will admit to spending a lot of time with the people that made my suits to learn how to dress 25 yrs ago. Common sense is the rule you wouldn't go out to a 5 star restaurant in jeans and a tee shirt. At the same time you could go to Outback, etc. in jeans or a slightly dressier look.

you could alaways ask the lady how she's dressing for the night out and dress accordingly
 majdog
Msg: 399
Posted: 1/1/2009 5:01:08 PM
I can't resist echoing this comment. WHY can't men find clothes that fit them properly? Becuz Mom isn't there helping, or the Ex is no longer in the picture... well any way some people won't accept the help they get anyhoo, lol. I saw a fashion guru on TV doing the biggest loser makeover and HE said the American clothing industry "off the rack" has no sizing standards, therefore every brand is different in sizing. SO, what guys need to do is find a brand that fits them well, looks good on them individually. Shirts shouldn't have off the shoulder seamline, pants shouldn't go baggy in the butt and waistband dip below the belly (another topic altogether). There are sweaters and jackets to disguise this sort of thing, us ladies are genius at this stuff! If you really want to impress at work or in your social life, buy at the hard to find men's store where a tailor actually helps you make a selection and offers tailoring service with your purchases. It makes everyone look good and the better quality of garment lasts so much longer (with proper care). Now I will step down from the soap box...
 kbodley
Msg: 401
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2009 8:12:46 PM
Oh! I love this thread! After all of the threads about how women should dress! This is perfect!

I swear, what happened to all those guys in high school who managed to find jeans that actually fit their nice little buns to a tee? Now it seems that the male gender, both young and old, have adopted a permanent "plumbers' droop" style of fit!

I love a man in a nicely fit pair of slacks - jeans, khakis, chinos - you name it as long as it fits! And guess what guys - you might have to try on more than one pair to find one that fits! And - the same size that fits you in one brand, one store, one season, may not fit in every other brand, store, or season! Welcome to the world of fashion guys! Women have been doing this for years!
 lbiker
Msg: 402
Posted: 1/1/2009 10:14:38 PM
HI Artz

Im not a designer and I dont wear Prada..It would not fit me. I think that is the secret. You know what your body's positive looks are. Accent them. I looked at your picture, you appear to have a thick neck, thick chest,probably large arms. MMMMM GOOD!!! So a shirt that maybe had a color change or large stripe in this area would show it off.
It doesnt have to be tight,,just fit. It doesnt need to be tucked in,,but not so long it touches your knees.

And PLEASE>>>NO BAGGIE JEANS>>ESPECIALLY TO YOU KNEES..When they hang that low, or under your butt it makes me think of a dirty diaper sagging. YUK!!
And always smile, and acted pleased at how she looks. That always helps to make both feel more comfortable.

Good Luck LBiker
 Moonchild51
Msg: 405
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2009 10:55:25 PM
Is it ok if I just order up my man a little on the nekky side? Awe heck, never mind. If'n I had one, I wouldn't know what to do with him anyway!!!

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................
 kbodley
Msg: 410
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2009 7:55:13 AM
Totally agree! Even if I am meeting someone directly after work I always take the time to freshen up a tad before making my entrance. Can't understand why some folks feel it's okay to arrange a first meeting and then show up in grubby clothes, uncombed hair, and a filthy car! Not only does it indicate to me that you do not have respect for yourself, but also bears the question, "If this is how you show up for a first date, how would you appear by the time we had been dating for a couple of months?"
 strollinbella
Msg: 412
Posted: 1/3/2009 2:48:33 PM
Hi Artz. It's been a while since I last posted in this thread, so I thought I would add another "hope it's not him" example. If I arrived at the mutually decided meeting location and saw the man sitting there with his shirt half undone and hanging out of his jeans, showing off his stained undershirt and/or overly hairy chest, I would run for the hills!!

Also, I am not a fan of the sweatshirt and backwards baseball cap look. While it is ok on a much younger man, I would hope a man in our age group would have a bit more class than to show up looking like that.
 musichic
Msg: 413
Posted: 1/3/2009 3:54:33 PM
I like the guy to show up in a nice pair of pants or jeans, nice casual shirt/sweater. Clean shaven and smelling good. If you're going to the trouble to take a women out you should dress the part. Don't show up in something that looks like PJ's or been working in the yard.
 rep1158
Msg: 414
Posted: 1/11/2009 8:15:30 AM
what, you want me to splash cologne on?
 strollinbella
Msg: 415
Posted: 1/11/2009 2:26:08 PM
JMHO^^^^ I would much rather he smell freshly showered, than doused with cologne.

In moderation, cologne can be quite nice. Please, please, please, don't splash it on, lol!!
 kbodley
Msg: 420
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2009 6:06:22 PM
You just described my son's regular "dress" attire! My niece was married recently and when I swung by to pick him up for the wedding he came out the door wearing a shirt and pair of slacks that looked like he had just rescued them from the bottom of the dog bed!

Fortunately, I had already had that motherly internal conversation with myself on the way over - you know the one that says, "Good thing we have plenty of time to swing by Burlington Coat Factory and buy him a new shirt and pair of dress slacks before we head for the wedding."
 Ms.F***ingSunshine
Msg: 421
Posted: 1/24/2009 6:29:18 PM

Some colognes are sooooooooo strong, they knock you out.

perhaps that is the intention??

monalove
Msg: 422
Posted: 1/24/2009 8:08:01 PM
Ok here goes, if the man has hair on his face, it better be well groomed,not scraggly cus thats a turnoff.
Cologne is fine but not a must. Just the clean scent of soap is enough. Trying as a short 5'3 woman to dance with a guy who has doused his chest with cologne is torture...I feel like I cant get any air.
I do like a nice crisp shirt open at the collar to reveal he is wearing a chain or necklace of some sort. I cant resist checking out what the whole necklace looks like if there is a pendant hidden under the shirt.
Jeans are great as long as they dont have rips and tears in them. I also like it if a man wears jeans that hug his butt same as guys want to see us gals in. Its a turnoff if the backside of his jeans are saggy baggy and have you wondering if he even has a butt at all. There arent too many fashion choices for men. As long as they dont look like tourists in bermuda shorts and more like the one woman said, the Don Johnson look. Thats dressed up but yet casual at same time.
If the man is comfortable with his own masculinity...he's gonna look good in almost anything....kilts included.
 1OdDmAnOuT2
Msg: 423
Posted: 1/2/2015 1:53:30 AM

To all the great POF woman. you all Know that most of us guys are just fashion dudes.
Some of us might be doing a little better then loud plaid jacket pink shirt white belt with shoes to match and with dark blue poly spandex pants. So it's the first data casual dinner at a nice Chinese restaurant, Or Italian Or Mexican. You get to pick. What would I be wearing that would make you say Oh I hope that's him?
Now what would I be wearing that would make you say, Oh god I hope that's not him?
This is your chance to give a guy a make over! Have some fun with this might even tell a story or two about your worse dressed list of guys.

Really?
Like WTF man?!
A real man wouldn't give a &%@$!
Nor would a real woman.

Given that you have exchanged pictures that are up-to-date, I doubt that what you're wearing is that big a deal. Unless you are superficial.
Mind you, dressing like the clown from hell would not be advisable.
Just sayin'
 petula1908
Msg: 424
Posted: 1/2/2015 2:37:55 AM
a pair of nicely cut one colour, slacks, a well ironed matching shirt and a sports jacket. soft leather shoes. Will take you anywhere. A subtle dab of cologne is fine or a nice scented deodorant.

My worst was a guy in a nylon tracksuit who promised he would wear trousers as we were meeting at a club. . He was as boring as his outfit and I could hardly wait to get away. Another guy turned up in a slogan tshirt, shorts and thongs for a lunch date and couldn't understand why I was not impressed. He also looked 9 months pregnant with triplets...

My best was a guy who turned up in linen slacks, matching knit top and looked stunning as he was tall and trim. I have never forgotten that first impression. I take the trouble to dress smart casual with some nice jewellery and shoes and a man who turns up looking like a slob, well... pass...........
 BLoNDeANGeL845
Msg: 425
Posted: 1/2/2015 5:57:47 AM
Well fitted jeans or dockers & a nice cotton button down shirt & non dorky footwear.

A real formal occasion in a tux would be great!
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 426
Posted: 1/2/2015 1:05:33 PM
No turtlenecks, please---I can't stand them. Button-downs, polo shirts, and T-shirts are fine. For pants, I prefer jeans or trousers made of natural fibers. Leather deck shoes or loafers are fine for footwear.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 427
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2015 1:35:59 PM
First of all....HYGIENE MATTERS! Please....shower and clean under your fingernails.

Neatly trimmed facial hair, if any (God...those bushy 1970's moustaches are GROSS!) Clean and neatly trimmed hair....or bald is great!

Wear a dress shirt with a collar and "real" shoes. Whenever a man brags that he "doesn't own a shirt with a collar or a 'real' pair of shoes", I'll take a pass. Even my 10 year old great nephew owns a couple of suits and real shoes -- and has since he was 2 years old!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >