Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Tim0066
Msg: 21
Is Sarcasm a turn off?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
No its not, in fact if you can't be sarcastic... I'm probably not interested

Just be sure you know when its important to be serious and hold back the sarcasm... like "Honey I'm sorry I almost cheated on you" is NOT something to say sarcastic
 Silver Sharpie
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/10/2007 7:27:07 PM
Sarcasm is like any other personality trait. It can be a turn-on or turn-off depending on whom you ask.

For me, it’s good in small doses. Used excessively, it’s tiresome. “Get me the hell away from this person.”

Don’t be like the little boy who discovers a hammer and now everything in sight needs to be hit. As stated above, avoid it in written correspondence.
 jd28spot
Msg: 26
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/10/2007 7:50:22 PM
Rock on girl.....any man that can't deal with a bit of sarcasm isn't mature enough to handle anything else you dish out! The pond is full of "Dork Fish"....if one swims your way, grab the oar and swat him away! If he refuses to take the hint.......beat him relentlessly with your sarcasm....he deserves it!
 scorpiomover
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/10/2007 8:11:17 PM
Oh, heck. I'm sarcastic all the time, if I can get away with it. It's my favourite brand of humour. If a woman's like that, it gets me all hot and sweaty. Then I have to take a shower and remember to pay my credit card bill.

Don't you dare change? Where would be the fun in that?
 Remote Control
Msg: 33
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/10/2007 9:04:12 PM
Yeah you should probably give all of this malarky up. Being sarcastic is in no way funny. Too many people see sarcasm online and say "like, yeah, whatever", followed by making an "L" with their hand and putting it on their foreheads. That's what the cool people do anyways...so I've heard.

Nuts to all of it, be yourself. Sarcasm is amazing.
 Seavoyage
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/10/2007 10:29:07 PM
Everyone is different. I would feel it's kind of mean-spirited, and I wouldn't bother with the person. I do read peoples' profiles. If I don't know you well, I wouldn't want your sarcasm, but if I've gotten to know you then I might be pretty okay with it. If you throw sarcasm at someone who doesn't know you, it can often turn them off. You could start with being polite, because sarcasm can sometimes come as being rude to a guy who e-mailed you. If the person's cool and knows you better than the sarcasm is okay. It is a question of knowing you first.
 EdgarDegas
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/10/2007 10:30:54 PM
There are certain degrees in sarcasms. You can be really witty and funny and that's not perceived as mean spirited and you can also be sarcastic with a pinch of caustic and then it gets more aggressive.

Example A: bear in mind I'm French and I leave in the USA for 4 years now, when someone asks me where I'm from I always reply from Alameda California (that's where I live) with my awfully fake French accent that only a French guy can do (Kevin Kline is a wuss compared to it). Generally, people reply "no you're not!", that's being sarcastic in a non-meaningful way.

Example B: My ex-girlfriend and I went to my best friends wedding. We spent the day there and at night, she looks at me and see two holes in the sleeve of my suit jacket then she looks at me and says "You're a teacher but you have no class!", now mind you the pun was good, the effect is humiliating...
 Roamingsiris
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/11/2007 8:53:41 AM
Dont listen to the guys that grip here that thier X did whatever...

Who cares?

OP ~ Keep it up, your personality is your personality. You want somone who is going to share your humor!

I just want to know where the girls are around here that know what a joke is.
 DharmaF
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/11/2007 10:51:16 PM
Where would we be without the Gilda Radners, the Tina Feys, the Margaret Chos, the Cheri OTeri's, the Kathy Najimys, the Wendy Liebmans, the Jane Curtins, the Janeane Garofalos, the Molly Shannons .....

Your damn straight I wear my sarcastic sense of humor with pride.
 EdgarDegas
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/11/2007 11:08:52 PM
Now are we talking about true sarcasm? Because sarcasm comes in my shapes, It can also be irony or caustic remarks and these are not automatically to be categorized as insults or scorn.

I love the irony in a woman, irony is a wittier form of sarcasm I think.
 crazydave86
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/12/2007 2:07:31 PM
i think the question is this when ya reply, is she being sarcastic or mean spirited, thing is ya dont know with the writen word.verbal is differnt, you can see and hear the sarcasim by looking at the persons body language, over the internet its differnt, no body language to figure out. most people take it to heart and get pissed off, i know from being a mod at another forum
 nasty51
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/13/2007 2:57:10 AM
In real life, I'm very sarcastic myself, I think a lot of English people are. However, through experience, I've found sarcasm doesn't really work on the page, email/text message. If they can't hear your intonation, they may not know you're being sarcastic and will misinterpret as rude.

My two cents, leave the sarcasm for face to face. And try and curb it in emails.
 Ctrl IA Guy
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/13/2007 9:29:37 PM
Short Answer ... YES!!!
 bdemarco
Msg: 50
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/16/2007 2:08:26 PM
haha I don't think it is? I like girls who bite back because I dish out a lot of sarcasm.

in short no, but its hard to tell in the internet.
 TerryO
Msg: 51
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/16/2007 2:39:54 PM
Sarcasm, just like anything else is fine when consumed in moderation. Sarcasm has it's place and it's fun when flerting, but when it's used as a tool for cruelty then there could be a point when too much is not appropriate. That is of coarse unless it's being used in self defence...
 KitNbootz
Msg: 56
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/16/2007 4:38:51 PM
A little sarcasm here or there is fine but a lot? Definitely a turn off in my book.

Happy fishing.
 SpareBoyfriend
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/16/2007 6:26:49 PM

Is Sarcasm a turn off?

"Smart I like. Smart ass, I don't! "
 HIDEnSEEK
Msg: 61
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/16/2007 11:25:20 PM
I love sarcasm! But I will tell you that when you frist talking with someone, it can seem a bit standoffish. I don't want to sound mean, but when you meet someone new play nice. After you get a feel for them, then smack them in the face with it!
 mcbobly
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/16/2007 11:58:39 PM
Actually I tend to like a bit of sarcasm in a woman, I have some myself and it's nice to go back and forth with someone tha can take it as well as dish it out.
 nameismarcus
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/17/2007 12:13:14 AM
Yes, I'd say that it is.
 abelian
Msg: 70
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/16/2008 1:59:05 AM
Sarcasm is only funny if you're good enough at it to pull it off without putting someone down and coming across like an a$$. Just being rude is not real endearing.
 namebob5
Msg: 71
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/16/2008 2:44:13 AM
Sarcasm is when someone doesn't have the gut to tell you what they really think.
 WpgGentleman2
Msg: 73
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/16/2008 11:57:18 PM
I've seen the most wonderful marriages ruined by out-of-control sarcasm.

It becomes a contest, with each spouse looking for any little mistake to shoot down their partner. And while we all make mistakes, but because women generally talk about their relationships with other people, they remember their partner's mistakes much better. It becomes pure hell for the man.

Once you start focusing on each others faults and mistakes, the marriage won't last.

But sarcasm is such an easy and convenient form of humor, and it is so popular. I suggest you learn puns.
 nasty51
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Is Sarcasm a turn off?
Posted: 7/17/2008 6:22:36 PM
It doesn't really work in emails.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  >