Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > simple question - do you believe in a god?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 326
simple question - do you believe in a god?Page 14 of 26    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26)
Actually you are right. I spend way too much time here and thank you for reminding me, not for dates as my profile would surely allude too.
I'm planning on using the internet to make my income this coming year and can't be spending this much time on here.
I do enjoy it though. Especially the Aussie forums.

There is one prayer that wasn't answered this year when my friend from Nowra NSW died of leukemia.
RIP Debbie.

Lastly I'm not and never have deemed myself any sort of preacher.
But it works for me.
 daffie
Msg: 327
simple question - do you believe in a god?
Posted: 12/31/2008 2:10:18 PM
fear and guilt.....

without these two emotions any religion would cease to exist.

religion is emotional blackmail!
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 328
Posted: 12/31/2008 5:29:22 PM
No I'm not going crazy.
Msgs 403 and 404 were deleted and that's what I was answering too.
 bamkanoosh
Msg: 329
Posted: 12/31/2008 7:25:12 PM
Absolutely I believe in a higher power,,However I am NOT religious and I cant blame god for what people of organised religion's have come up with, a fear based set of principles and moral codes.
I dont want to recieve any backlash for my personal belief's as I dont go into churches shouting them, nor do I door knock, preaching them, nor do I need to follow a set rules or moral conduct, other than my own,,my higher power is loving and I TRY to practise this .
I take snipets from buddism but cannot and would not claim to be a budhist,,
Spiritual people inspire me,,
Religious people frighten me...
 ghostgum
Msg: 330
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2009 2:34:59 AM
Simple answer.....sure i believe and have faith in god.....
 ghostgum
Msg: 331
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2009 2:35:14 AM
Simple answer.....sure i believe and have faith in god.....
 Naamah
Msg: 332
Posted: 1/1/2009 3:28:23 AM
Just normal people that are about to die turn spiritual quiet often. Why?
Because the question "Is there a God or not?" becomes all of a sudden very simple, it boils down to: "Would you like some Hope or not?"

I would still see that as false hope. I guess when people panic they are prone to thinking and behaving irrationally. You'd never deny a dying person their right to panic, and hope, but it's still... what it is. Hoping won't make it true.

fear and guilt.....

That is so well said.
 dimeadozen
Msg: 333
Posted: 1/1/2009 5:09:40 PM

This is a pretty old staple line but actually doesn't have much basis in real life. None of the people that go to my church turn up every week because they feel guilty or afraid that something will happen if they dont. They go to learn more about God and what he expects of us, to pray, and to catch up with like-minded people. Like any support group, it's encouraging and people look forward to it because its a positive and uplifting experience, putting life into perspective.

fear and guilt.....

Its true that anyone is able to come to Jesus to be forgiven. And feeling bad about things that have happened in your life is a terrible thing to live with. It's really bad for your health to start with. The bible says that Fear (awe, respect) of God is the beginning of wisdom.
 Kissthisfrog !
Msg: 334
Posted: 1/1/2009 7:13:21 PM
People should hold onto their power to forgive themselves and others ...., a third party is not needed.

MY free choice is..., I don't believe in a god..., I need believable, tangible, authentic evidence.

'Carrot dangling' or especially 'carrot and stick' religions don't do it for me.
 greyingred
Msg: 335
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2009 4:44:03 AM
eventually just as we finally discovered that epilepsy was not the devil possessing your body we will also discover the causes and reasons for premonitions, synchronicities, miracles etc and the almost universal need for some sort of diety, even if it is chocolate...lol Naahmasomething or other, I'm with you on that one.

I come from irish witching stock heavily steeped ironically within the auspices of english catholicism. But no one told me about it until my teens, too late for a six yr old who thought she had killed her grandmother and later grandfather because she had dreamt it. It has been an interesting experience seeing/dreaming things that have saved lives, brought people together and sometimes even helped myself and also being inculcated via christianity to view what is involuntary as the work of the devil.

I do not believe in a sentient God. I do believe that science will eventually explain these things that we view as miracles/whatever but it still does not explain why I have seen and known about things before I was old enough to understand and despite my best efforts why it still happens.....and yes just once if I had got off my arse I had the right lotto numbers....wrote it down for proof the night before...but I don't gamble.

New Years Resolution.......Follow my dreams and GAMBLE PMSL.
 tazza_
Msg: 336
Posted: 1/2/2009 9:02:37 PM
I'm not a believer either.

Show me proof any i *may* change my mind.
 seanymph64
Msg: 337
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2009 11:12:01 PM
I am one who does believe in God.. I have my hard times too.. life certainly hasn't been easy for me for nearly 24 years. I attribute my resilience to my faith.

Faith is a gift you either have it or don't ( if you don't have it you can pray for it and it will come in time- ot your time but God's time) .. lots that happen to us in life make no sense but our wisdom and knowledge of life and everything in it is very limited compared to a God who knows everything and created everything. Our journey in life is about becoming the best we can and sometimes hardships brings out the best in us, in ways we never would have dreamed of!

So I see lots of suffering and lots that doesn't make sense. I do believe that ultimately Gods hand is in it. God is supreme and his wisdom if beyond our comprehension. Even when natural disasters strike we wonder why God allowed it or do we allow it because we live our lives so oblivious to Him that he sometimes looks the other way for a bit to let us know how life would be without Him. Are all the faithful holding back the arms of justice for the rest of the world?

All too much to go into here. I do have faith and it has sustained me I do believe in God I talk to Him each day and thank Him for the joy and suffering he brings into my life as I trust he loves me and as any loving father desires.. only the best for his child.

ps. I didn't believe for a very long time and now I see how richer my life has become and happier even in the midst of storms (I have a deep sense of peace ultimately even though my children were abducted for 4 months etc.. I have had my lot too!!). I used to believe the religion was a crutch for weak or weak minded people... don't knock it until you try it is all I can say.
 greyingred
Msg: 338
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2009 1:06:17 AM
whoops...I think I lied....not about the weirdo take her to Graylands dreaming thing but the God thing. I still stand by God, Boomshanky, my left toenail etc etc (name it what you will) not being sentient in the literal, direct action, reaction thing but I know there is something outside of everyones' consciousness that has as powerful a force as an A.D.D. elephant on orange food colouring. Had too much proof over the years including some very sick, black cosmic jokes and yes I do pray, often talk outloud to 'my left toenail' and try to stay aware of my surroundings.

Here's a slightly nicer cosmic joke. I could bang on about how we make meaning of the world through essentially patterns, being words, objects, how to get from A to B...and continue on and on about how we have no choice but to see patterns in everything, ergo wrong conclusions are as likely as right but I won't. Was very peeved with the world in general and especially with the difficulties I was facing without a partner. So as is my won't I shouted at My Left Toenail that I had had enough doing things on my own and I needed a hand. Be careful what you ask for by the way. The next day my neighbour was moving and asked if I want a unusual chair. Sitting in my hallway is a wonderful wooden chair made, I presume in Bali, in the shape of a hand. Man, I laughed myself silly and understood that actually I was quite capable of managing by myself, I just didn't want to.
 myforumsite
Msg: 339
Posted: 1/3/2009 5:02:18 AM
seanymph64 - I’m sorry that you had to endure your children being abducted. As a parent I can’t imagine much worse.

However, I disagree where you said that non-believers shouldn’t “knock it until you try it”

As humans there are lots of things we should knock even though we haven’t tried it. How about incest, rape, violence, female genital mutilation, drugs, alcoholism? We don’t necessarily have to try something to know that it isn’t right. (Before you all get up in arms, no, I am NOT suggesting these are akin to religious belief – I am just pointing out that we don’t have to try something to reject it.)

Furthermore, for those of us that don’t believe, we simply can’t try it if we don’t believe in it. I can’t decide one week to ‘give God a go’ because I just don’t believe that one exists, therefore the experiment fails from the start.

I think this is the best quote I have ever seen (I have stolen it from another forum posters profile):

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Sir Stephen Henry Roberts.
 greg8001
Msg: 340
Posted: 1/3/2009 7:46:22 AM
"fear and guilt.....

religion is emotional blackmail!"

I think there is a grain of truth here, but religions also have room for other human emotions, such as love, sadness, joy, and so on. Fear and guilt are often seen in many religions as part of the human existential condition from which we are to be saved; salvation is achieved when fear and guilt in this life (especially concerning death) are removed by more positive emotions such as hope, joy, a sense of inner peace, and compassion.

Religion clearly does involve human emotions and quite often religion can become quite sentimental. Even so, most religions that have been around for a long time have worked out a more substantial core of ideas and belief which also try to engage the mind as well as the emotions. I think it is to their credit that the world's religions have contributed some powerful and interesting philosophical ideas concerning God, the universe, and ethical and moral matters. These cannot be dismissed as the ramblings of the insane or idiots. Even so, the foundations on which many religious beliefs and ideas rested (including with proofs of the existence of God) have been seriously undermined and questioned, particularly by advances in science which have shed light on matters such as how life evolved or how the universe came to be.
 GP.Sunshine
Msg: 341
Posted: 1/3/2009 11:10:34 AM
Wait, when we talk about god, are we talking about the same GOD??? Eastern vs Western vs Middle East vs Middle West?

Jesus is a great philosopher. I like some of his perspectives, but not the others. But viewing a philospher as a god is something I can't do. Dalai Lama and Gandhi are great philosophers, too. Some people worship them as Gods. For me, they're simply philosophers.

However, I don't approve or refute the existence of god, because the current technology simply can't confirm or refute his/her existence. "God creates the whole universe" from spiritual perspective can equate to "Big Bang creates the whole universe" from scientific perspective; however, neither can be proven or disapproven.

Technology is advancing, and human knowledge is growing. Hopefuly someday this question can be solved.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 342
Posted: 1/3/2009 1:02:24 PM

seeing is believing

It's not always quite so obvious as that.
I haven't, for example, seen Uranus.... but I've seen enough evidence to be sure it exists.
 Brizguy_2008
Msg: 343
Posted: 1/3/2009 1:07:01 PM

I haven't, for example, seen Uranus.... but I've seen enough evidence to be sure it exists.

Because you keep finding the toilet seat up?
 GP.Sunshine
Msg: 344
Posted: 1/3/2009 1:07:56 PM
Then I hope you see what you really see.

Quite frequently, our brain can trick us into seeing things that are not real. It's called "illusion."
 GreyNomad43
Msg: 345
Posted: 1/3/2009 1:19:57 PM
So are you saying....Uranus is an Illusion? OMG.. yikes!
 GP.Sunshine
Msg: 346
Posted: 1/3/2009 1:20:49 PM
Nope!

I'm responding to this thread: "simple answer=seeing is believing."
 lyingcheat
Msg: 347
Posted: 1/3/2009 1:45:54 PM
Stands to reason doesn't it? It's the Big Dump Theory. If you see the crap - there has to be an arsehole close by.
 brissyLuke
Msg: 348
Posted: 1/3/2009 2:16:50 PM
It is difficult to credit any one religion as being True or any one god as being True when there have been so many throughout human history. None appears to have any greater claim to being more credible or reliable than any other. Why Christianity and not Judaism? Why Islam and not Hinduism? Why monotheism and not polytheism? Every position has had its defenders, all as ardent as those in other traditions. They can't all be right, but they can all be wrong.

Apparently (catholic .christianity ect ect) :if god alamighty was the big creator of the world and all living things, he loves us all and can do so many amazing miracles , if we sin, he will forgive us:

If we pray for world peace ... does it happen..
If we pray for miracles.... does it happen..
If we pray for less violence ...does it happen..
If we pray for less hunger and famine... does it happen..
ect ect.... No it ony gets worse... And why on earth if this god is so great... Does the Church need so much god damn money.... I s god busted arse broke......
 Naamah
Msg: 349
Posted: 1/4/2009 2:41:02 AM
I think this is the best quote I have ever seen (I have stolen it from another forum posters profile): "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Yeah it's pure gold, isn't it.
But it's hardly likely to make a dent in the mind of the faithful believers in their particular god because...

It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.
Adolf Hitler.
 Jan Sobieski
Msg: 350
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2009 1:22:06 PM

I think this is the best quote I have ever seen (I have stolen it from another forum posters profile): "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

This argument is weak. Atheism is not "non belief", it is a firm belief that "there is no god".
A-(greek privative, no) Theos- (god). To dismiss some gods as a ludicrous concept does not dismiss the concept of "a god" in any way.
It does amuse me that "rational atheists" do in fact offer no evidence in support of their belief. Rather they point the finger at the lack of evidence given by theists, which I must say, is non existent.
This is argumentum ad ignorantiam.
We all hold certain beliefs, that help us make sense of the world. If some people say "there is god!", and that belief helps them, that's great!. If some people say "there is no god!", that is also great!. The main thing is that people should get satisfaction from their beliefs.
If a belief harms you, then it is not a very good belief to have. Whether or not such a belief is true, really doesn't matter.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > simple question - do you believe in a god?