Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > simple question - do you believe in a god?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 theforeverkind
Msg: 493
simple question - do you believe in a god?Page 21 of 26    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26)

Of course! That perceived similarity between Him and I explains why so many women drop to their knees before me, wailing "Oh god, oh god, oh god".

Shania herself insisted on replying to this one, sir.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SOh6mSEZss

Personally , I agree with that spanish dude.If Hell is real, most of you guys are in for it.Even deleting this thread aint gonna save ya.A little fear of God has put the brakes on lots of bad stuff in our world in the past.Its called conscience in other terms,I think.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 494
simple question - do you believe in a god?
Posted: 3/10/2009 9:44:45 AM

A little fear of God has put the brakes on lots of bad stuff in our world in the past.Its called conscience in other terms,I think.

If fear has prevented, will prevent, is all that prevents, the godly from doing 'bad stuff' it's not much of a recommendation.
Particularly when one observes that love of, or loyalty too, this Judeo-Christian god has caused untold wars and associated misery ever since he was invented 2 or 3 thousand years ago.

I really don't see what conscience has to do with any of that?

Bearing in mind that organized societies/civilisation precedes the Judeo-Christion deity by several thousand years, and total human history extends perhaps 4 million years before that, it's risible to connect 'God' with goodness.

Quite apart from the fact that the majority of the worlds population don't believe the Judeo-Christian myth and never have, yet still somehow manage to be 'good' occasionally.
Probably by accident.

PS: I watched the video! But it didn't impress me much.
 Naamah
Msg: 495
Posted: 3/10/2009 10:20:35 AM

That perceived similarity between Him and I explains why so many women drop to their knees before me, wailing "Oh god, oh god, oh god".

I shudder to think what happens when they follow your teachings and turn the other cheek.

If Hell is real, most of you guys are in for it.

Actually that's entirely possible, because I never believed in Santa Claus but I still got presents. Although based on that comparison, hell will just turn out to be Dad dressed up in a red suit with a trident, Mum putting up some tasteful red cellophane decorations to represent flames, and a hot lunch in sweltering temperatures.

The made me do it.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 496
Posted: 3/10/2009 11:05:11 AM

I shudder to think what happens when they follow your teachings and turn the other cheek.

What a coincidence! Amongst various other highly interesting convulsive movements, they shudder too.
OoLaLa! But just the mere thought of it works for you then?
um... ah... Say! I've got an idea...

Actually that's entirely possible, because I never believed in Santa Claus but I still got presents.

Ho Ho Ho I didn't believe in the Tooth Fairy but my teeth still fell out. But doesn't that suggest it isn't even necessary to believe in heaven? Since one might go there anyway. (Insert salacious joke about possible shortcuts here).
 Trulio
Msg: 497
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 4:51:59 PM
Belief is not dependent upon 'conviction'.....

There are many people who are 'convinced' in a divine and supreme creator, God, but do not believe....simply because they have suffered a great 'inequity', such as death of the most significant loved one, or a child....
 theforeverkind
Msg: 498
Posted: 3/11/2009 12:39:03 AM
i use "the fear of God" loosely, not referring just to the Judeo Christian God.I meant like parents used to put the fear of God into wayward teenagers, to prevent them doing things that would have caused themselves harm..Otherwise, recognised as conscience.

I recall, in that vein, a man I was very close to, a forensic detective who had to photograph scenes of absolute horror performed by humans on other human beings..scenes like a man who stabbed his wife twenty five times all over their house, in front of their children, so that the entire twostorey house was a bath of blood.He had a hundred stories like this.So does any forensic policeman.After years of doing this on the Gold Coast, he declared he believed in God and the Devil.I asked why.

He described arresting these animals, taking them back to the police station, sitting interviewing them.He described looking into their faces, into their eyes, as staring into the face of a Pure Cold Evil.

Good medicine magazine some years ago discussed research produced by a highly respected doctor from a highly respected American University.He documented thousands of cases where patients described events which had occured in the room after their heart had stopped beating , AND their brain waves had ceased.This is nothing new, these reports of life after death.Any run of the mill ICU nurse or doctor can tell you dozens of stories patients have told them about, like this.Far too many to laugh off.

As for blaming God for what his professed children do, well, that is ludicrous to me.I take no responsibility for what my grown children do today.They are grown.I wasnt there. They decided for themselves of their own free will.They bear my name.But i never made them do it.Even if they blamed me.Wouldnt be my fault.

Not that I embrace these beliefs.But concepts of Evil? of a Higher Powerful Good?Of a spiritual plane we cannot see beyond the physical?i wouldnt recommend discounting it.How could even you be sure?

Just my musings from my experience of life..not intended to be dogmatic to any degree...nor supporting one side nor the other...just observations is all...may I be always teachable...and listening.
 myforumsite
Msg: 499
Posted: 3/11/2009 2:15:07 AM
In todays mail I received a handwritten letter from a woman who professes to live in my area. She said she had some important information to share with me. I got excited at this point thinking....excellent.....juicy neighbourhood gossip .........

What a letdown then to find that the letter was someone preaching about god and the bible. She even took the trouble to enclose a pamphlet on the bible and contact details for me to make further enquiries.

OK - so who here knows my address??? Come on......too coincidental surely.....or.....could it be.......god reaching out to me????? (insert spooky music.....).

Soooo.....given it seems genuine, why is it ok for these people to send me personally addressed mail to push their view that god exists and will save me? Why is it ok that they don't respect my right to disbelieve?

What if atheists turned the tables and decided to start their own propaganda campaign? What if we sent pamphlets to believers telling them that god doesn’t exist and that their souls won't be saved. That loved ones that passed over are not in heaven and that there is no point praying because no one is there to listen. Can you imagine the dismay and shock on their face when they opened this communication? That would just be a horrible thing to do right?

So, why do they think it's ok to do the same to me?????
 aphrodite000
Msg: 500
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2009 3:04:23 AM
Yes the forever kind, We were all given our own free will and the churches and governments have been trying to take it back ever since. "religion is the opiate of the masses' ( Marx ) and " your children are not your children , they come through you not from you" Kahil Gibran ) are both accurate to me.
 theforeverkind
Msg: 501
Posted: 3/11/2009 3:51:35 AM
Your children are not your children
They are the sons and daughters
of Lifes longing for itself
They come through you
but are not from you
and though they are with you
yet they belong not to you
You may give them your love
but not your thoughts,
for they have their own thoughts.
you may house their bodies
but not their souls
for their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow
which you cannot visit
not even in your dreams.
you may strive to be like them
but seek no to make them like you.For life goes not backward
nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
(Kahlil Gibran).

Do I believe in God? Im not sure. I do believe in being free to make my own life happen, to create my own destiny.I do believe in allowing other people to believe whatever makes them happy.
 lookin4one2
Msg: 502
Posted: 3/11/2009 5:45:39 PM
myforumsite asks: "What if atheists turned the tables and decided to start their own propaganda campaign?"

I suggest that this is exactly what has happened already in this day and age. You can't mention the God word in schools these days. The media forever lambasts it on an almost daily basis. Christians aren't respected for their right to believe as they wish. Watch any soapie and see how the Christian beliefs and values are belittled. Morality today is legislated to the lowest common denominator. The list goes on .............

It's very interesting that historically, some of the greatest empires can trace their fall to the fall in their belief system. All because of the propaganda espoused by the athiest.

Maybe it's time that Christianity were given equal rights to the athiest's "right" to say and do what they want. It may even help our society and bring back a level of morality that allows women to walk the streets safely, and children to be able to play in playgrounds unsupervised and older people to go out at night without fear of being mugged.
 Trulio
Msg: 503
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2009 6:13:51 PM
The way I see it quite simple: to believe means to "be of leaf", to be a thin shred of living epithelium, and cuticle. The green chlorophyll has one unique property: it reflects most of the UV which is able to get through the stratosphere, and that means that most of the energy from the sun is reflected by 'leafs' because if that was not the case, then we would not be able to endure the 'light' nor 'intensity' of the sun, which is the solar equivalent of a deity, according to a long series of lineages, and cultures, recorded....in the same way the eternal 'albedo' of our Deity is....albedo means 'reflectvity'...

chao
 ~luvUlongtime~
Msg: 504
Posted: 3/11/2009 8:15:21 PM
i use "the fear of God" loosely, not referring just to the Judeo Christian God.I meant like parents used to put the fear of God into wayward teenagers, to prevent them doing things that would have caused themselves harm..Otherwise, recognised as conscience.

Fear of God. I say bring it back. The ignorant, and by and large rather thick, masses need to be controlled somehow. The little problem of war and thousands of people being slaughted in 'God's name'? Well, I don't think there's much you can do about that because if not 'a god' people will otherwise be slaughtered for any number of interchangible reasons. For instance: money, resources, insane dictactorship, insanity in general...

Anyway, didn't the last pope say something like, "Stop it, or you'll go blind"? See! Look what happened to me! I say, believe with all your hearts 'good' people... or watch out!
 Kissthisfrog !
Msg: 505
Posted: 3/11/2009 8:23:03 PM
Well poster 619...., what about "speak to us of love" ? Can you quote that for us all....,
wasn't it something like"when you are in love, God is in your heart' or was it "you are in the heart of God" ?
 theforeverkind
Msg: 506
Posted: 3/12/2009 12:05:11 AM
ive no freakin idea whatchu talkin 'bout Poster623.You must b full of the celebratory plonk
 aphrodite000
Msg: 507
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2009 12:22:43 AM
Well, lookin4one2, haven't you got a bee in your bonnet ? Me thinks he protest too much, christians are already dominating, even politically, they even rig the votes on Aussie Idol when it's one of their own. How about I have equal" rights'"to knock on doors at all hours and lecture and annoy people in their own homes. You don't have to be a christian to be a good person, goodness comes from within no matter what your religion. We have independents in the senate now using their votes to hold the government to ransom, an entire country forced to comply with the wishes of a man who only got about a thousand votes.One more point, why do you consider anyone not a christian to be an atheist. There are other religions you know!
 ~luvUlongtime~
Msg: 508
Posted: 3/12/2009 12:23:13 AM
I think this is what poster #623 meant. It's written by that Kellogg Allbran dude....

Speak to us of Love

When love beckons to you, follow him,
Though his ways are hard and steep.
And when his wings enfold you yield to him,
Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you.
And when he speaks to you believe in him,
Though his voice may shatter your dreams
as the north wind lays waste the garden.
For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you. Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning.
Even as he ascends to your height and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun,
So shall he descend to your roots and shake them in their clinging to the earth.

Like sheaves of corn he gathers you unto himself.
He threshes you to make you naked.
He sifts you to free you from your husks.
He grinds you to whiteness.
He kneads you until you are pliant;
And then he assigns you to his sacred fire, that you may become sacred bread for God’s sacred feast.

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart, and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life’s heart.

But if in your fear you would seek only love’s peace and love’s pleasure,
Then it is better for you that you cover your nakedness and pass out of love’s threshing-floor,
Into the seasonless world where you shall laugh, but not all of your laughter, and weep, but not all of your tears.

Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself.
Love possesses not nor would it be possessed;
For love is sufficient unto love.

When you love you should not say,
“God is in my heart,” but rather, “I am in the heart of God.”
And think not you can direct the course of love, for love, if it find you worthy, directs your course.

Love has no other desire but to fulfill itself.
But if you love and must needs have desires, let these be your desires:
To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night.
To know the pain of too much tenderness.
To be wounded by your own understanding of love;
And to bleed willingly and joyfully.
To wake at dawn with a winged heart
and give thanks for another day of loving;
To rest at the noon hour and meditate love’s ecstasy;
To return home at eventide with gratitude;
And then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved in your heart and a song of praise upon your lips.

~Kahlil Gibran
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 509
Posted: 3/12/2009 12:33:04 AM
You know it's a slow week in the forums when God is on top.

never found one instance of an amputee being healed by faith....I guess god doesn't like amputee's.

I think it sucks that if I chop off my arm another man doesn't grow from the fresh end. Must be that He doesn't like clones either.
 ~luvUlongtime~
Msg: 510
Posted: 3/12/2009 12:46:57 AM
I think it sucks that if I chop off my arm another man doesn't grow from the fresh end. Must be that He doesn't like clones either.

Hang on. Is that like when your future self travels back in time and meets the present you (or 'past you', as you'd be known to the future self guy) and you (the past/present one) chop off your arm and the future self's arm gets instantly cut off too?

Um... does that mean God doesn't like time travellers too?

So, who exactly does God like? He supposedly, according to christians, loved his son. Fair enough, a little heavenly nepotism is understandable. Still, he didn't mind watching JFC die a slow and painfully hideous death. That doesn't seem to give the rest of us much of a chance really.
 ~luvUlongtime~
Msg: 511
Posted: 3/12/2009 2:26:37 AM
^^^^Maybe we should all tell our little kiddies that's why JFC died on the cross. Fear is the best motivator, no? Perhaps hang a little cross on their doors to remind them what happens to naughty little boys and girls.

Either that or tell them that if they are bad they will die and go to a place full of fire and will burn in agony for the rest of eternity... No, hold on, we already do that don't we?
 julianx
Msg: 512
Posted: 3/13/2009 5:41:49 AM

Good medicine magazine some years ago discussed research produced by a highly respected doctor from a highly respected American University.He documented thousands of cases where patients described events which had occured in the room after their heart had stopped beating , AND their brain waves had ceased.

Fascinating...but then there was another highly respected doctor from another highly respected university that debunked all the cases that the first highly respected doctor had described.

It's very interesting that historically, some of the greatest empires can trace their fall to the fall in their belief system.

That is interesting, and it's also interesting that some great empires can trace there fall to a time where they were invaded by another empire that imposed there own particular belief system on them.

Maybe it's time that Christianity were given equal rights to the athiest's "right" to say and do what they want. It may even help our society and bring back a level of morality that allows women to walk the streets safely, and children to be able to play in playgrounds unsupervised and older people to go out at night without fear of being mugged.

Leaving aside all the immoral crimes that Christian leaders have committed, I still think that basing our morality on what a Christian God (or any God for that matter) says is far from acceptable, it makes it too arbitrary and relative, morality needs to be more definite...I mean what if God said it was ok to kill someone, would that make it ok?

"religion is the opiate of the masses'

Nah I don't think it's much of a drug, I reckon 'religion is the placebo of the masses'
...I stole that line from House.
 theforeverkind
Msg: 513
Posted: 3/13/2009 8:26:24 AM
I guess it all comes down to, as always,believing what you want to believe.
 Trulio
Msg: 514
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2009 5:57:50 PM
Gawd, do you believe in a simple question? Do you believe in yourself? Are you a self, and entire? or are you a hypothesis. or apotheosis?

I think we need to bring you back to live your new life, to be our hypothesis, par excellence, just as Dietrich did so say...they say that your only attribute, which can be known to us, is beauty....and since the life and the earth and her surround is beautiful ("Everything looks green from here..." Griffiths), you have brought back, maybe in the upside down, and reverse position, your image.
 MikeM1968
Msg: 515
Posted: 3/16/2009 8:46:54 PM
I am sorry about your father. Just believe that you had no control over it. You don't have to have all the answers. I'm sorry that that event also caused you to never embrace some sort of faith. some sort of belief in something. It's almost as-if you choose to refute the obvious - that there IS some power greater than yourself in the universe. Many just choose to call that power GOD. I don't buy into religion, I believe in spirituality myself.

I just choose not to play GOD anymore, that didn't work so well during all the years I was drinking and playing the dime-store $20.00 *big shot* in strip clubs and with nasty and possibly disease ridden hookers. I'd consider that my not catching anything from many of them proof that there is some divine power watching over me. Just the fact that I'm still here is proof enough for me. I spent the first 2 months of my sobriety in a homeless shelter too.

My former attempts to live on willpower alone never succeeded. I had to give-up. I had to quit thinking that I had all the answers. I had to stop believing that my way was the only way. My best thinking just got me drunk, homeless, broke, bankrupt, unemployed and nearly dead many, many times. My former best thinking got me into lots of trouble and took me places I'd dare never go today. It seems like that was a different *life* and that I have been granted a new one in the last 5 - 1/2 yrs. I can't take all the credit for my resurrection from near death (really worse than death, many years of it).

I too was once like you. I believed in nothing. I was atheist, then I was agnostic. I've seen too much proof that there is *something* to dis-believe it. I've seen this power work in my life and in the lives of others. I have witnessed events in my own life in the past 5 - 1/2 yrs that I have absolutely no explanation for, that I could only refer to as miracles in their own right. I don't have to have all the explanations or answers for these events. I don't believe in coincidences anymore. Everything happens for some reason, even life's tragedies.

You stated in your OP that this woman who had been diagnosed with CANCER has since been a 3rd time grandmother, traveled the world, found the love of her life. If that's not GOD working miracles in her life, then what is it? Don't you see it?

I've also come to embrace some kind of faith in something that comforts me and puts me at ease when I am troubled. Something that I formerly thought I'd find in a bottle. Today I don't require believing in the false promises that alcohol provided me with for that false feeling of ease and comfort, I have something far greater and far more real to me. This *something* works real miracles.

Mike
 Trulio
Msg: 516
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2009 12:01:30 AM
Nice....you have a theory, and are not interested in reality, nor dating, only interested in the fora minifera....in the spaces, or lacunae, of theory....

however intricate and intriguing

chief Moses, Don, is being sued...not because he believes but because he is in 'disbelief' and can that end tonight?
 ~luvUlongtime~
Msg: 517
Posted: 3/18/2009 7:52:42 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem the above ^^^ insights come from a deranged mind? It's weird, because usually I can understand where most people are coming from even if I have to think way, way outside of the box... but this is so far out of the friggin' box I think it's left our Earth's gravitational pull, in fact it may even have left our galaxy behind entirely.

In other words, poster #637, huh?
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > simple question - do you believe in a god?