Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > simple question - do you believe in a god?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Beachippy
Msg: 526
view profile
History
simple question - do you believe in a god?Page 22 of 26    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26)
my folks sent us 3 kids up to the local church sunday school... they never went,lol..
it was hard to grasp the solmness of it all until we split into more age specific groups down stairs after the service.. it was a bit more relaxed with your peers and a younger leader.. and you listened to parables/ stories a bit at time..
the serious older church elders and minister used to scare me a bit..

I wonder now if the olds used the quiet house on sunday mornings to do more adult things,lol..

they had a "boys Brigade" youth group that I kept going to until school finished..

because mainly,,,they had a BAND. drums and bugles... I already played the drums in the primary school recorder band... so I was keen to keep drumming... with a flasher uniform, ,earned badges and drum gear.. some music lessons etc..
that was a clincher..
. parading up the main road once a month leading a parade into the church.. in front... drumming the beat... awesome!!!..
played in Anzac day marches, local first then into town for the main parade...
to play for the old diggers ... awesome!!!.. my solo parts echoing off the buildings in Brisso town...
Carnival of flowers .. lots of gigs,lol...

I'm not sure if God was there or I learned a whole lot... but I got to make a lot of noise... in good time, mind you,lol...
and a lot of people followed me while I did it,lol.... well the band and I...
 PETER4444
Msg: 527
simple question - do you believe in a god?
Posted: 3/3/2009 4:06:01 AM
If or When a person has REALLY experienced something in his psyche' or has come to a conclusion about the existence of some 'FORCE' in his life that he is convinced of or attracted to, the last thing he would want to do would be to try and convince anyone else about his belief system(to my way of thinking).

Rather,without uttering one word about it he would by his actions and behaviour live out his life in a way that meets the requirements of this belief system and he will be judged by his actions rather than by anything else he says.

No written material will substitute for personal experience.
 *Imogine*
Msg: 528
Posted: 3/3/2009 5:01:03 AM

Now I know that the missions do a lot of good work but I do have a major problem with them, they seem to feel the need to save the world.

I am sorry for not explaining this earlier, but my husband and I were not on a mission to force the belief's of Jesus and God on some poor helpless people in Malawi. We were sent by our church in accordance with their church leaders to provide bible's and teach the gospel.

I wonder if anybody went to the trouble and courtesy of asking the people of Malawi if they wanted saving.

Well, I didn't personally before leaving Australia, but the pastor of the church we attended wanted us to go because their pastor wanted someone with a strong Christian faith to teach his parish the full meaning of being a Christian, also to offer support, emotionally, financially and physically. Above all, I still think that what we did is a simple act of human kindness. For me, it had nothing to do with Christianity, more rather of putting another persons needs ahead of your own. Would a nurse or doctor ask themselves, "I wonder if this person wants to be saved?" Before they save their life?

I believe you cannot force a person to believe in anything, it is the same as forcing someone not to believe. Religion is a personal choice, either you want to be religious or you don't. Forcing someone to do something will never work and it is something I would never do. Even with the most honourable of intentions.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 529
Posted: 3/3/2009 5:30:48 AM
Ave Enid Blyton.

I would be extremely careful about taking my lead in life from The Da Vinci Code. Its a novel. Nothing more or less. /snip/(Might) As well find profound underlying meaning in the Noddy books. .......Wait, some people did.

Amen to that. The Gospel according to Dan Brown? I wouldn't call it a novel though, it's more like a comic with no pictures.
Which is a failing the Noddy books don't have. I figure Mr. Plod represented the Romans, and Golliwog was a Moor from the Southern Mediterranean/North African region representing Spanish/Italian Catholicism.
Big Ears, with his jovial nature and luminous nose was clearly the Irish saint, Patrick.
 artylime1
Msg: 530
Posted: 3/3/2009 3:05:54 PM
Dear LC, I'm sorry to say that I don't have the patience to learn how to do the quote. So please help. If I type in
then block out the text I want to copy with the left button on the mousepad, nothing happens.....

The Da Vinci code was like a torch light shining in the dark. I followed the path through many books and came eventually to an illuminatiing place in the form of this book - Journey of Souls by Newton Ph.D.

Before that a vague feeling of disatisfaction at my church not giving the answers I craved. Have plateaued out, waiting for the next torch light to discover me...
 rocketsOD
Msg: 531
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2009 11:39:33 PM
Concerning this question .....................

"what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know,
it is what we know that just isnt so."

Yogi Berra
 ~luvUlongtime~
Msg: 532
Posted: 3/4/2009 1:00:35 AM
If there is a god, he's a sadistic prick with little or no conscience. When I pass through the pearly gates, I'd like to have a few words with the **stard. Oh sure, creating the world in 6 days was pretty clever and all, but lately he's just been a total bludger. What's with the lack of smiting these days? I can think of several people that deserve a damn good smiting - and that's only in my local area. Yes, I'll be sure to make some strong suggestions as to how he can do better.

Then later, in hell, I'll hang out with the cool people there and start a band.
 aphrodite000
Msg: 533
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2009 1:06:00 AM
As you get older and look at the different paths your life has followed you tend to gain a different perspective on things. My spiritual beliefs began when my 6 yr old brother told me that the friendly ghosts came to see him while he slept and told him than he was going to die but not to be afraid because they were going to be there with him, he was quite matter of fact about it all , 3 weeks later he died of leukemia. I also had a rude awakening a few years ago when I ran a country pub as live in manager. It was never scary as I had thought it would be , sometimes a little annoying other times very comforting. I realise I sound like a wanker here but it really is true and I have gained a great deal of comfort from both events.
 julianx
Msg: 534
Posted: 3/4/2009 2:42:38 AM

Im not at all religious but I wanted her to attend so she can make up her own mind what her beliefs are.

I think the most important thing we can do for our kids is instill in them our own beliefs and convictions and then allow them to question them as they get older.....

"Mum, I already know that people will believe all sorts of crap, so can I stop going now?"

...clearly you have done this well...frighteningly well, after reading that line the name 'Mini Hilly' springs to mind...is the world big enough for two of you.

We always allowed our kids to decide for themselves, being an atheist myself probably did contribute to them opting out fairly early. When my eldest chose to not go she was the only one in grade three that didn't go, it was still a fairly radical move even just 14 years ago, then again she was also the only kid to ever have an art exhibit removed cos it was apparently scaring the little kids. She did drift in and out of RE through out primary school as did the others, it was more of a social thing than a religious thing.

I think 'Baha'i' that Briz mentioned is possibly one of the best things that has happened to Religious instruction, it seems to promote the core morals and social principles of all religions like equality and compassion.

Another thing I did for my kids was invest in a copy of 'The God Delusion' and a couple of good DVDs like 'Jesus of Montreal' to give them something to think about.

The other thing that I find intriguing about Religious education is; Catholics and Catholic schools. I've met quite a lot of ex-Catholics, when I say 'ex' I mean they have completely denounced their faith and become atheists or non- religious, but when their kids reach school age they send them to Catholic schools.

Oh and Hilly ...

I had no answer.
...are you serious, wow! That must be the first time ever.
 Faux Pa
Msg: 535
Posted: 3/4/2009 4:58:16 AM

Hi: speaking as a mathematician myself and majoring in the Pure and Statistical disciplines of the subject I would have to (on a very broad basis) say that would be only a very little chance of there not being a 'creator' for want of a better word.

There are a few blemishes in the 'order' of matters that take place in the world and universe
and this is usually as a result of man made or 'repositioning' corrections but to be able to totally coordinate the massive (or monumental) changes that occur without accident over time frames that are so large necessitates the existence of a superior force!

By any measurement the chance of an enduring life (human and other forms) sustainable environment just occurring out of nowhere is negligible.

Wow . . . I find it astounding that someone majoring in the Pure and Statistical disciplines of the subject would ignore the result of their work and suddenly decide that a creator must be the answer, even though there was no creator considered in the data.
 ~luvUlongtime~
Msg: 536
Posted: 3/4/2009 5:30:05 AM
I think I've clearly established (i.e. I said so ) that god is a **stard. He made man in his own image. Ergo, all men are **stards. It's ok though. Women have fought long and hard for equality. Now we're all **stards too.
 myforumsite
Msg: 537
Posted: 3/4/2009 5:33:48 AM
Interesting.....

Hilly, Brizguy and Stig all don't believe in god yet they all gave their children the choice to believe if they wanted to. I did the same as my kids went to catholic schools and I told them they could make their own minds up. So.....this subset of atheists accept that children have the right to believe if they want and overtly SUPPORT that choice.

So..........did any of the believers here present the atheist view to their kids and tell them they could NOT believe in god if they chose and it would be okay? Or did they tell their kids they would burn in hell if they didn't??? Hmmmmm.
 dimeadozen
Msg: 538
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:15:51 AM

So..........did any of the believers here present the atheist view to their kids and tell them they could NOT believe in god if they chose and it would be okay? Or did they tell their kids they would burn in hell if they didn't
I dont know about your teenagers but mine dont listen to ANYTHING I say. And I've threatened them with far more immediate danger than a distant judgement day. It hasn't had a noticeable effect so far. Not in cleaning their rooms anyway. I haven't tried making threats to get them to go to church.

In all seriousness I actually dont think its ok not to respect God so I probably wouldn't say that but I dont hassle them either. Each of us has to arrive at our own conclusion. The best I can do is try not to be a hypocrite since kids sniff out hypocrisy faster than than anything.
 *Imogine*
Msg: 539
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:34:47 AM

In all seriousness I actually dont think its ok not to respect God so I probably wouldn't say that but I dont hassle them either.

I totally agree with this. Although I am not a religious person, I will never condemn anyone who is a religious person and every person has the right to believe in a God.

The word "god" has a multiple of meanings. "God" most are referring to here is the heavenly father God. But God can be anything you have a strong faith in.

Some people class money as a God, others class the devil as a God, some class Allah as a God and some class the head honcho at the Church of Scientology as a God.

The word God means Saviour, if you think the Devil is your saviour, then you actually believe in a God, which is the topic of this thread, do you believe in A GOD?
 myforumsite
Msg: 540
Posted: 3/4/2009 2:50:11 PM
In all seriousness I actually dont think its ok not to respect God

I don’t respect god because I don’t believe god exists and I can’t respect something I don’t believe in. If you don’t think this is okay then you aren’t tolerating my belief.

If you don’t make your children go to church you are taking a passive stance but this falls way short of presenting the atheist view and supporting their right to choose.

In all seriousness I actually dont think its ok not to respect God

Imogine commented: ....I totally agree with this. Although I am not a religious person, I will never condemn anyone who is a religious person and every person has the right to believe in a God.

So, you say everyone has the right to believe and you won’t condemn them for it, yet you agree with the statement that its not ok NOT to respect god? Therefore you are condemning those that don’t believe. It has to go both ways – if you respect everyones right to believe then you must also respect everyones right not to believe.

The word God means Saviour, if you think the Devil is your saviour, then you actually believe in a God, which is the topic of this thread, do you believe in A GOD?

Good point. Yes, I do have some gods I believe in. Chocolate and wine are my saviours. Especially on weekends. Thank the lord!
 PETER4444
Msg: 541
Posted: 3/4/2009 4:42:12 PM
Speaking about personal experiences and adding to the debate I wonder how the people of Fatima in Portugal felt when for over 100 miles around them they saw the sun 'moving in the sky' and coming closer and closer to the earth and then receding back to it's usual position.
This apparently was viewed by people all over the country in 1917(?).

And more specifically, in a field knee deep in mud where thousands were gathered witnessing some apparition, the sun dried up this mud instantly.The people witnessing it were apparently not burnt!

Man! witnessing this This would have beaten 'the da vinci Code ' by a 'mile' in my opinion!!!!!!!
 myforumsite
Msg: 542
Posted: 3/4/2009 5:21:50 PM

I wonder how the people of Fatima in Portugal felt when for over 100 miles around them they saw the sun 'moving in the sky' and coming closer and closer to the earth and then receding back to it's usual position.
This apparently was viewed by people all over the country in 1917(?).

Crap – god can do that? Why he is ginning around playing these games with our heads rather than doing useful things like say………I don’t know…..stop wars? Cure addicts of their addictions? Make every child healthy and happy?

And more specifically, in a field knee deep in mud where thousands were gathered witnessing some apparition, the sun dried up this mud instantly.The people witnessing it were apparently not burnt!

Burnt? Fark, who’s going to worry about a little sunburn when you’re cast up to your knees in solid dirt?

Man! witnessing this This would have beaten 'the da vinci Code ' by a 'mile' in my opinion!!!!!!!

Agreed. What a shame he doesn’t do any of these tricks where someone has a camera present cause I’d like to see it too.
 aphrodite000
Msg: 543
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2009 8:17:10 PM
Well, I really am a wanker I forgot to mention that the pub was haunted
 Highett47
Msg: 544
Posted: 3/4/2009 11:35:28 PM
God was invented by man to unquestionly throw away all logic and submit to their will.

The richest organisations are religious. Look at Rome.

One indescriction and you are dammed FORE EVER to torture. Oops excep if you are lucky enough to have a priest standing by to forgive you. The very bad buggers who kill and mutulate their fellow human beings can get off scott free if they find a priest in time.

All religins and god are the figment of the cleaver cunning control freaks who benefit from our desire to be saved from hell. Give me a break.
 Highett47
Msg: 545
Posted: 3/4/2009 11:38:38 PM
There is no proof that any of this happened. It's just another blatent lie by those who want you to believe. If you believe in a virgin birth you will believe any of the crap they tell the Faithful. Get real.
 CavesBeach
Msg: 546
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2009 12:13:29 AM
I think every one is ignoring the much bigger question.....

Does your god believe in you.?

I know there is something out there, and i sincerely hope i have done enough.

not just so I get into some sought of heaven or hell (hell sounds better to me, except the fire stuff)
but so that i feel I have done what i am suppost to do here.
make kids, surf, fly high, get drunk, play music, pay tax, love, hate, travel OS and play wiffle ball naked are all checked off my list but i think theres more to it than this.

but if there is no god then I'm off the hook..

still reckon my answer is best.. = no its not a simple question
 qldblue
Msg: 547
Posted: 3/5/2009 2:16:33 AM
Re Message 558, you scoff at a virgin birth but it can happen as there is documented evidence of women being pregnant without actual intercourse happening and not from IVF.

Yes the hyman on these women was still intact, Crap you say but non the less still true.

What caused the pregnancies was something so simple it could be considered laughable, apparantly these women shared bath water after a male had a bath and some tricky little sperm survived long enough to impregnate these women.
Not an everyday occurrance I admit but they ended up pregnant just the same.

So can a virgin birth happen yes but can a virgin birth happen over 2000 years ago possible, I can't answer that as I wasn't there.

Do people who don't believe in a god still take those holy days off?, you betcha sweet bippy they do, not bad for people who don't believe but I bet you still exchange gifts at those times.
 robw23
Msg: 548
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2009 5:37:54 AM
jeez, i cannot believe this post of hypocrites+ god botherers have stretched this out for 23 pages!!!! just goes to show i suppose, folk will fall for anything if they are belted with it for long enough!!!!! sheesh, get a life!!!!!
 qldblue
Msg: 549
Posted: 3/5/2009 10:42:57 PM
Yes 63, you are right in that most of our holy days are replacements for the ye olde pagan days but we don't have 25 December off because it is the winter solstice do we.

My point is that people who profess their non belief in a god or religeon are quite willing to have the newer holy days off even if they call them family days.
 ~luvUlongtime~
Msg: 550
Posted: 3/5/2009 11:26:03 PM
^^^^ I'm quite willing to have a day off for any reason whatsoever. Even for the Queen's Birthday, and I never even buy her a present.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > simple question - do you believe in a god?