Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > simple question - do you believe in a god?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Life is about fun
Msg: 101
simple question - do you believe in a god?Page 5 of 26    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26)
LOL...told you've I've been wrong before.....Thanks Leatheryone
 Life is about fun
Msg: 102
simple question - do you believe in a god?
Posted: 12/26/2007 8:03:48 PM
It's interesting to read that apparently modern research shows that he was more likely born 4 to 7 years earlier than year 1AD.

So I guess 2007AD would in fact be 2007 years after his first pushbike......hmmmm, interesting
 mary27
Msg: 103
Posted: 12/27/2007 1:46:30 PM
Yes, I do , and find him to be revengefull, hypercritical, overly proud, and if he walked the earth today, he would surely be the worlds most wanted terrorist(maybe thats why he hasn't been back). God surely is in need of therapy to say the least.
 hilly1971
Msg: 104
Posted: 12/28/2007 12:03:01 AM
^^Thats pretty much my thoughts.....but I was too scared to write them down!!!

In case I get struck down by a lightning bolt!!
 photoman001
Msg: 105
Posted: 12/30/2007 1:37:41 AM
{I often find it amusing that many non-believers are quite happy to accept others beliefs but often the reverse is not true.
Why do religious people feel the need to try and inflict their beliefs on others while non-believers appear more tolerant of others ??

Maybe non-religious people are more comfortable and secure in their convictions and beliefs and dont feel the need to justify what is their truth.}

I wonderful insight there hilly.
I grew up in religious circles, did the whole Sunday school thing. 2 of my siblings became ministers in different churches but both of them gave it away when they found how corrupt each of the churches were.
I lost any faith I had when questioning 'the elders' about heaven verses outer space and astronomy etc. They told me that by believing in god and heaven they couldn't except astronomy and outer space. I suppose this also ment Darwin and dinosaurs and pre-historic man. So I was supposed to believe all this stuff that they had NO proof or science about in the face of pure science and undisputable proof on evolution, space etc.

They told me in Sunday School that God will protect me as "he protects every blade of grass". They can't explain to me then how thousands of species of grass, plants and animals become extinct every year. They can't explain how in 2006 there were more wars and conflicts than ever before in history and most were religion based. OR Why a caring god allows a 7 year drought that not only kills all the grass he cares so much about, along with animals and eventually people taking their own lives.

Believe in a god? Who would want to be a part of any club that does all of that, even if they could prove there is a god?
 oggers
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2007 3:14:30 AM
Do I believe in a "God" ?

No.

My belief is that "God" or "gods" of the past were created by the imagination of people less intelligent than ourselves to explain natural events in the heavens and on the earth, for which they had no other explanation.

And 2000 years ago, the Romans themselves believed in numerous different gods ( Cupid, Mars etc etc ) .The invention of the jewish God / Yahweh etc was I believe simply another invention of man as part of this tradition.

I dont doubt that Jesus was a real person and walked the earth - but he was just another guy, I dont believe that he was the Son of God . I dont believe that there is a "higher power" that we should worship.

I do think that we might not be alone in the universe
I do believe in the spirit world ( experience)

Thats my belief . You are welcome to yours .

Right - its half ten on a Sunday Morning : time to go to Church ( I also believe in hedging my bets lol )
 whitegold765
Msg: 107
Posted: 12/30/2007 3:53:43 PM
I don't have a problem with people believing in God. (Actually, I do, but I let it slide.)

What I have a problem with is people forcing those views on me, religious and moral views. For example in Australia (where I am) it's not possible for gay men (or women) to marry. Why? Despite all the justifications it comes down clearly to religion.

The other real issue I have is with people (like previously in this thread) suggesting that God is a God of Good. "God = Good", was the exact wording used earlier. And the suggestion was made that you can't have goodness without God.

I don't think I've heard a more pig-ignorant hypocritical statement. Religion doesn't cause goodness. Goodness, kindness, and love are all inherent in us. Religion just gives people an excuse to justify their own evil and call it "good".

The God of the Bible is a God of wrath. How can anyone look through his book, filled with genocide, infanticide, rapes and abuses and see in that a good and loving God?

If there's any one great evil that's been perpetuated on the world it's the notion of Original Sin.

By no standard of justice in the world today (including the most barbaric Sharia laws) could someone be punished with what amounts to the death penalty for something done 100 generations ago, and only a truly evil being could do such a thing to his own children.

I know of nothing more abhorrent than the concept that we're all dirty and sinful at birth and need to be purified. The story is clearly bunk and few believe it literally, but the ramifications are real and present even today.
 dizzydel
Msg: 108
Posted: 12/31/2007 10:18:42 PM
To start off with Chelloveck there is no way you could possiably know what I was thinking, that in inself is a absurd statement. Also at no time did I give a definition of god, thats just what you read into it nor did I mention anything about the bible, you can belive in god without nesassery beliving in the bible. Im a spiritualist we do not go by the bible but the 7 rules of spiritualism.
 dizzydel
Msg: 109
Posted: 12/31/2007 10:27:36 PM
Once again at no time did I say you cannot have goodness without god, thats your interpretation of want I said. So please people stop trying to put words in my mouth.
 whitegold765
Msg: 110
Posted: 1/1/2008 12:37:37 AM

Well the word God means Good, so if you dont belive in God, then you dont belive in good.

Sorry, dizzydel, I totally misinterpreted that as a blatantly stupid and ill informed statement that labelled all non believers as either evil or ignorant, and ascribed all positive virtues to your own beliefs. My mistake.

And I assumed from your statements that you were a Christian, thereby believing a bunch of supernatural nonsense. But you're a spiritualist. Again, my mistake.
 my nick name
Msg: 111
Posted: 1/1/2008 2:02:47 AM
yes i believe in myself .
 dizzydel
Msg: 112
Posted: 1/1/2008 5:05:20 AM
Whitegold, your apology is accepte. My guess was that you were thinking I was a Christian and before anybody jumps down my throat, there is nothing wrong with being a Christian, I tried that many years ago, but just couldent feel right about the whole brimstone and fire thing. So went on looking for some thing in line with what I felt, find it in spiritualism. I do belive that people have the right to belive in what ever they want, or not belive in anything at all if thats what they wish, I would never push my beliefs on anybody, as I dont like people doing that to me. Hope you have a wonderful new year, all your hopes and dreams come true in the way you want them to. Dizzy
 dizzydel
Msg: 113
Posted: 1/1/2008 6:27:44 AM
1.Chelloveck, God is not a superhuman, the (god) I belive in is a Supreme Being, Creator of the universe. If you had of read the hole meaning of the word god in the dictionary, you would have seen there was more to it then your quote.

2.Well if your going to go by the meaning of every word in the dictionary, it also was written by man just as the bible has been, so according to you, the bible was written by man so it cannot be belived, so what makes you think that the dictionary has every meaning right it also was written by man?

3.Such things as the power of god defy commonsense and pratcial knowledge or it would not be a supreme being.

4.As I said that is your interpretation of what I said, you cannot say that everybody would interpret that way as you cannot know that they would.

5.Well the God I belive in is all good it is us who choose to do negative things also know as bad things, good is also know as postive things, my God is all good there for god means good. It is not saying that if you belive in good you belive in good, it also is not saying that if you dont belive in god you cannot be good , as you have decided I mea. Im unable to explain to you what you wish to know as it would be a small story so if you would like to know more feel free to message me.

whitegold765
Msg: 114
Posted: 1/1/2008 9:20:43 AM
Diz - I was going to let it go, but... you are familiar with irony, right?

Anyway, moving on.

God is not a superhuman, the (god) I belive in is a Supreme Being, Creator of the universe.

How the hell do you define superhuman other than... exactly as that? I would say that a Supreme Being, Creator of the Universe was DEFINITIVELY superhuman.

The entire definition of God is a complex and subjective thing. Dictionary definitions are hardly relevant. I think we all know what the dictionary says on it, and what the point of a dictionary is. That point is not to define YOUR subjective interpretation of what the notion of godhood means to you.

Well if your going to go by the meaning of every word in the dictionary, it also was written by man just as the bible has been, so according to you, the bible was written by man so it cannot be belived, so what makes you think that the dictionary has every meaning right it also was written by man?

Yes. Every word is right.

Seriously, what sort of argument even is that? The difference in veracity and verifiability between a 5000 year old holy book and a listing of words and their meanings seems to me both so obvious and so vast that I fail to even understand your point.

3.Such things as the power of god defy commonsense and pratcial knowledge or it would not be a supreme being.

I know some other things that defy common sense.

I always thought that concept that God is so vast as to be unknowable a little iffy. We can comprehend the universe itself. Tell me there is a being that exists outside of time and space and controls the entire universe... I can comprehend that. I may not believe in it, but I can certainly comprehend it. I'm comprehendy. I'm quite a comprehender. The idea that God is "beyond me" reeks to me of justification. "I could explain but your mortal mind couldn't understand it!"

Moving on... so... good things are from God? Bad things from humans? Isn't that just "having your cake and eating it"? I always felt that about God. Like the Beaconsfield mine disaster. "God saved those guys! It's a miracle!". Yeah, but what about that poor guy he squished? If God saved them, he killed the other guy. Why does God get credit for the good things and the bad things are just "luck"? Getting back on topic, I think that both the good and the bad are from people, and people only.

Ultimately, like any other similar issue, the debate hinges on a definition of God.
If you don't want to share your beliefs publically (and as a spiritualist I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to ) that's fine, but as far as I can see your definition is quite vague. :)
 Goddess of dreams
Msg: 115
Posted: 1/1/2008 3:08:51 PM

My belief or disbelief in the existence of god, is independant of the actual existence or non existence of god. I am not convinced that there is any adequate evidence to conclude with any certainty that god exists.

Or with your above reasoning.. God does exist.

I believe in power of universe my god is that.

As I did get into this subject previously many month ago ...”if I didn’t have a belief, life would have been so much harder to endure.”

Whether one believes or disbelieves one needs to keep this fact in mind don not fcuk up with others belief their belief is their inner harmony....if you know a little harmless old lady who has lived with the belief that god exist or a person who has lost a loved one......or a person who is dying but ….all are going on in life because they believe in god .....Would you go and argue with them that there is NO GOD.......if one does then that one is a bloodddy idiot…No… not a open minded and or intelligent but a bloodddy idiot for taking hope away..............................the meaning of God to Some is Hope.

Whether one believes or not that’s their prerogative
 whitegold765
Msg: 116
Posted: 1/1/2008 3:24:10 PM
Is hope a good thing when it's a false hope?

By that same standard shouldn't we tell people who are dying of cancer that they're going to be fine? Isn't that hope more important than the truth.

Of course I'm not going to try and convince someone that's dying that there's no God.

But we look at this situation like it's not a problem, just tell them they'll be healed in Heaven. Isn't there some beauty to knowing you had a good life? That you leave behind a family you can be proud of? That your pain will be over soon and you can rest?

The hope of heaven is one thing, but surely there's also that lingering fear of hell too? Does someone dying of cancer in a hospital ward need hope?

No. They need peace. That's not the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to start preaching atheism at the paliative care ward, I'm just saying...
 Goddess of dreams
Msg: 117
Posted: 1/1/2008 4:05:36 PM

Is hope a good thing when it's a false hope?

By that same standard shouldn't we tell people who are dying of cancer that they're going to be fine? Isn't that hope more important than the truth.

Of course I'm not going to try and convince someone that's dying that there's no God.

But we look at this situation like it's not a problem, just tell them they'll be healed in Heaven. Isn't there some beauty to knowing you had a good life? That you leave behind a family you can be proud of? That your pain will be over soon and you can rest?

The hope of heaven is one thing, but surely there's also that lingering fear of hell too? Does someone dying of cancer in a hospital ward need hope?

No. They need peace. That's not the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to start preaching atheism at the paliative care ward, I'm just saying...

Whether false hope or genuine hope ....any hope is a good hope and is peace for a person with no other alternatives.

All you said is your belief and as I said it's your prerogative.

But keep your believes to yourself at least when dealing with someone with no alternatives...... your ideology may save you and give you peace but not another.
 whitegold765
Msg: 118
Posted: 1/1/2008 4:52:32 PM

But keep your believes to yourself at least when dealing with someone with no alternatives...

That's basic consideration and has nothing to do with beliefs. It would be disrespectful in the extreme to question someone's beliefs on their deathbed. And of course I wouldn't do so!

The discussion I'm having is purely an abstract one, and purely in an internet discussion forum.

Also I disagree that any hope is a good hope. And I say again that we might as well tell those people that they're not even sick and will get better soon. That's hope... right?

I would argue: No, because it's false.

Purely intellectual discussion here, if anyone happens to be dying of anything here, please disregard me. Also if the only way you can cope with your grief over the death of a loved one is the belief that they've gone to be with Jesus... please ignore the bad man.
 Goddess of dreams
Msg: 119
Posted: 1/1/2008 5:03:57 PM

Purely intellectual discussion here, if anyone happens to be dying of anything here, please disregard me. Also if the only way you can cope with your grief over the death of a loved one is the belief that they've gone to be with Jesus... please ignore the bad man.

I see No bad man , I hear No bad man ....I only see opinions......All good.
 ebgdae
Msg: 120
Posted: 1/2/2008 9:11:30 PM
when I'm in trouble,,,,I pray
 dv8sex
Msg: 121
Posted: 1/3/2008 1:48:27 AM
i think that all religions are simply human inventions, fullfilling the need to give meaning to life
 dizzydel
Msg: 122
Posted: 1/4/2008 3:10:47 AM
A being is not nesasserly human unless defined as being human, I belive God is a superme being which is not human, a surpreme being is just that, a surpreme being. As for me not going fully into my beliefs, if you carnt understand the statement that God means Good, then you most certainly will have no idea what I would be talking about if I attemped to explain my belifes in this forum, it would take far to long and be a small book. It can take many years to understand spiritualism, as for my comments about the dictionary and the bible the point is they were both written by man, if you choose to belive one and not the other then thats up to you, I myself just wonder who comes up with the meaning of words, and what makes them so unmistakly right.
God does exists outside of time and space there is a little bit of god in all of us, so I belive as far as good and bad goes thats karma, you create you own by your actions or lack of them in some cases. I belive karma can be carried through many life times, if your lessons are not learnt.
 my nick name
Msg: 123
Posted: 1/4/2008 3:18:28 AM
ah karma, interesting ideology.

what comes around goes around so they say, then why the hell aint catholics had a holocaust aimed at them just like the jewish,the pagans,the mentally ill,the mentally handicapped and the shamans?

Leatheryman
Msg: 124
Posted: 1/5/2008 6:35:31 AM
ah karma, interesting ideology.

what comes around goes around so they say, then why the hell aint catholics had a holocaust aimed at them just like the jewish,the pagans,the mentally ill,the mentally handicapped and the shamans?

I don't know aloofy, in my mind, karma doesn't punish a collective group en masse. It's more a personal thing. Also, if you were a soldier in the German army circa WW2 and forced to help kill innocent people, simply because you were the plumber that fitted gas pipes, are you the murderer?
 whitegold765
Msg: 125
Posted: 1/6/2008 12:50:51 AM

It appears that you are not willing to accept other people beliefs, as you dont think they accept your own.

Not sure where you got that from. I am a very strong believer in Freedom of Religion as one of the great basic human rights. I think you're confusing acceptance with agreement.

Be a little more open minded.

About what? Believing what you believe? I don't recall judging anyone. The comments I made were directed at a specific person for something they said that offended MY belief that moral judgements were individual rather than religious, and in fact often the two are direct opposites.

The bible said..love thine neighbour as thineself

Indeed it does! And wise words... of course... that only counts for Jews. Only other Jews were considered "neighbours". "Thou shalt not kill" also has the same conditions. Non-jews weren't people, and the commandments didn't apply to them. If you want to start quoting the bible there are some far less "neighbourly" passages.

they shouldn't be judged on either their sexual orientation or their religious beliefs

I agree wholeheartedly, but I think it's interesting from someone whose "religious beliefs" specifically outlaw non-standard "sexual orientation", through both the old and new testaments. I often wonder how modern and intelligent Christians such as yourself reconcile your progressive views on homosexuality with the clear homophobia of the bible, whose word you theoretically follow?

If you despise relgious people, then you are a hypocrit.

Just as well do don't. I have many friends who are religious. I do, however, despise religion.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > simple question - do you believe in a god?