Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > simple question - do you believe in a god?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 shrexy
Msg: 201
simple question - do you believe in a god?Page 9 of 26    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26)
curious in a manner...that the question is.. "do you BELIEVE in a god ?" not "IS there a god ? "
 virgogidget
Msg: 202
view profile
History
simple question - do you believe in a god?
Posted: 2/18/2008 4:42:22 PM
Jeff
Wonderful Post.
You only have to look around at every day life the answers are there
No you dont have to go to church
 Dark Stanley
Msg: 203
Posted: 2/19/2008 1:09:00 AM
None of your God Dam business !! But I do believe in the Demon Drink!!
 likes_a_laugh
Msg: 204
Posted: 2/19/2008 3:07:40 AM
Oy, who sez I'm not up fer an argyment? I believes an' I votes...

Nah, honestly it takes too much effort to fend off those of you who swoop down for sport. Remember this is a dating web site kiddies , not the high court...
 cocytus
Msg: 205
Posted: 2/19/2008 10:40:11 AM
Ummm...actually to be a "non-theist" ( Non-theistic would describe the mindset and not the person wouldn't it?) wouldn't you necessarily have to NOT believe in religion.

Hence the "non" in your title.

I'm an anti-theist.
I actively disbelieve in a god or gods...from any pantheon.

If you neither believe nor disbelieve, isn't more along the lines of agnosticism?
 dmc951
Msg: 206
Posted: 2/19/2008 11:39:20 AM
I don't believe in GOD, and if you think about it there areseveral major religons in the world, Christianity ... belief in Jesus Old and New Testaments (which different scripts) and I could go into the differences but for those who don't already know it has many, no matter what Christians say!

Buddhism .... A shool of philosophy the East hasknown for centuries -- the teachings of Buddhism, Buddhist concepts such as zen,feng shui and yin-yang as well as meditation.

Hinduism ... God is everything and everything is God. Apart from this single statement Hinduism is a remarkably diverse belief system. There's no single founder, and no central religous organization.

Islam ... Islam or "submission to Allaha's will" founded in AD 622 by Muhammad who claimed to have received revelations from Allah and compiled them into the Quran.( Muslims are commandard to spend their lives in jihad (struggle).

THEN there is Jehovah's ......Judaism ....Mormonism .....Scientology and a lage numer of smaller religous belief's..... Now not all these groups are right!!! many have to be wrong! Science has suggested that as Humans evloved our brains we needed to immagine and create answers for things and events we did not understand at the time...( We created God, God did not create us).
 muckraker
Msg: 207
Posted: 2/19/2008 11:49:49 AM

I am non-theistic, and there are three types of love, and none of these are superior to the others. A non-theist is not an atheist.

A non-theistic person neither believes nor disbelieves.

chao

non-theist, agnostic, fence-sitter... it's all the same.
 whitegold765
Msg: 208
Posted: 2/20/2008 12:24:33 AM
Everyone's always on about how awesome buddhism is. It's like the religion you have when you don't want to believe in God but are too much of a sheep to go it alone.

If you're really interested in Buddhism try going to Tibet. While you're there ask some of the older people how things were under the "golden age" of the Buddhist Dalai. Before you go try learning the local words for "torture", "rape", "slavery", "murder" and "mutilation". They don't tend to be in the guidebooks, but they're helpful for this particular conversation. They were a brutal, oppressive theocratic regime that used Buddhism to enslave the people and amass wealth, power, and their own basest lusts and desires.

Oh. And I know what you're going to say... that isn't true Buddhism, that's just taking what is supposed to be a good and powerful thing and humans' selfish nature distorting it for power and greed. And... yeah. Just like every other religion. Don't think Buddhism stands apart and pure just because we've watered it down and sanitised it to the point that it no longer contains anything inconvenient. It's just as sexist, just as outdated, just as preachy, and just as prone to abuse as any other religion.
 dmc951
Msg: 209
Posted: 2/20/2008 10:26:51 PM
whitegold765.... Bla Bla Bla but the post was do you belive in GOD..lol start another post for that **** on buddhism.
 eternaloptimism
Msg: 210
Posted: 2/21/2008 1:54:12 AM
Unfortunately I was raised as an atheist by my parents. I am a student of science. But my children are probably going to be Christian. They will be allowed to believe what ever they want. I always start ever sentence on the subject by "Some people believe..." I like the work of John Safran and Richard Dawkins. But on the other side of the coin, it would have been much easier to cope with the loss of my wife if I was religious. That is why my boys will be Christian. I think it helps them come to terms with the loss of there Mum. But I have seen a mother fight for ever last breath to see her kids another time. How can a happy family with so much love be decimated like this. I don't think my life will ever be the same after telling little kids they have lost there Mum. Young children don't understand the meaning of death or forever. OMG, listen to this stuff, sounds like I am looking for sympathy. Not in the slightest. All I am saying is all the Christians I know have an inner smug-ness and happy disposition. They seem to be less likely to be on anti-depressants. They don't need drugs, alcohol or adrenaline because they get there highs naturally. I a way I am sort of jealous because of there social support groups (i.e. Church) But I know its not all rosy. Some Christian people are hypocrites. They call themselves Christian but I seem to have better morals and I am more law abiding than they are?? I Believe partners can believe different things. I know I am willing to accept a partner’s religion whatever it maybe. As long as I don't have to get too close to the chickens before they are sacrificed, or wear robes over my face. My wife called herself agnostic, so I was careful to give her the dignity she deserved. But if you ask her family I am not showing her respect, being on here so soon after her death. (2years) Oh well , each to there own. I say let everyone believe what they wish, and lets all live together in harmony.
 dmc951
Msg: 211
Posted: 2/21/2008 10:51:58 AM
^^^^ libra star I have to say that I don't agree with everything you've said on your posts on this topic, but I truly believe it would be a better world if people thought with the depth and insite on issues as you obviously do! nice posts and a good read for me a day is never wasted if I increase my understanding. Just thought I would let you know.
 evolving62
Msg: 212
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2008 5:58:11 AM
Theist - "You can't get something from nothing, everything must have a beginning, a creator"

Atheist - "Then surely God must have had a beginning, a creator"?

Theist - "No, God has always been"

Atheist and/or other critical thinker - "Well, if God has always existed, then why can't energy and matter have always existed"?

Theist - [Please put answer here]
 sonny__xxx
Msg: 213
Posted: 3/22/2008 3:47:30 PM
I believe there is an energy power greater than us. The only way I can discribe it as is "God". Yep I believe in God, but not religion....religion is man made in order to control the masses. ( now now, don't get offended, this is purely my point of view) religion tells us how to live, what we can and cannot do in the confines of church doctrine who is "good" and "evil" and what takes us to "hell".

So much i wanna say on this but I am not giong to get into a theological or other debate with anyone here.

spiritual guy
Msg: 214
Posted: 3/23/2008 3:29:31 AM
Dear MzScrubber,
NOBODY - and I MEAN nobody - knows for absolutely certain whether there is or isn't a God. Whichever is the case. if there IS a God (or any supreme being, entity or unknown called "God" or anything else) - it would surely NOT be in his job-description to "fix" your Dad's illness, or remove your friend's cancer, grant this and that, and just sit there on Cloud 73a ona big throne, directing each and every one of our lives...

The human body is subject to a miriad of illnesses, diseases, breakages, failings and shortcomings as it goes through it's life-cycle. The human body is NOT INTENDED to last forever, and it is also subject to the consequences of the way WE treat it also. God - or nobody else - sits up there and decides who goes when, and with what ailment..!! So it is WRONG to "blame" God (or anyone else) for whatever illness or ailments befall us. Much of what happens to us, we have 'attracted' to ourselves, and hav ZILCH to do with God or anyone else.

I personally prefer to believe there's "something" out-there, up-there - some spirit or supreme being - but like the 'after-death-thing' - I doubt we will ever know what it is, until we too go to that mythical place. But I don't believe ANY of The Bible stuff - it's ALL unfounded, un-provable, unlikely, pagan handed-down folklore...
 Kissthisfrog !
Msg: 215
Posted: 3/23/2008 3:44:16 AM
If there is a God..., he is not a god of compassion ......,
or he is on a seriously long long service leave!
 Dark Stanley
Msg: 216
Posted: 3/26/2008 3:08:11 AM
I believe I'll have another drink for the lord hath told me "The liver is pure evil and must be punished"!!
 kalissa
Msg: 217
Posted: 4/20/2008 11:01:47 PM
HUMANS AS A WHOLE NEED TO BELIEVE IN SOMETHING. RELIGION OFFERS A REASON FOR BEING,IN THE SAME TOKEN IT ALLOWS ONE TO INFLICT THEIR BELIEFS ON A POPULACE BY USING RELIGION AS THEIR SWORD. PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO BE REALISTIC, THEY WANT A REASON FOR DEATH SO THEY BELIEVE THIER LIVES HAVE NOT BEEN IN VEIN. THAT THEY WILL BE DESERVING OF THE KINGDOMOF HEAVEN,. DO I BELIEVE IN GOD, DO
I BELIEVE IN A HIGHER BEING AN EXISTANCE BEYOND DEATH? MY SOUL NEEDS TO. IT IS A SIMPLE AS THAT..
 dancecard
Msg: 218
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2008 7:06:27 AM

Theist - "You can't get something from nothing, everything must have a beginning, a creator"

Atheist - "Then surely God must have had a beginning, a creator"?

Theist - "No, God has always been"

Atheist and/or other critical thinker - "Well, if God has always existed, then why can't energy and matter have always existed"?

Theist - [Please put answer here

Energy manifested ~ energy moves about ~ God is energy ~ energy is God

like water, liquid, vapor , steam, solid ~ all the same thing ~ manifested

You can capture this energy ~ you can store this energy ~ you can use this energy

but you must have some understanding of it, ~ and this is where many get truly stuck

dar
 goodliqor
Msg: 219
Posted: 10/19/2008 7:14:44 AM
You asked a simple yes/no question, but also 'why. The why can be simple or complex, and short or very long winded.
My answer is 'no'. There is no empirical, scientifically testable evidence of god(s).
Usually a belief is grounded in ones upbringing, or socialization.
People can be divided into two groups - those who believe in an after life and those who don't. Almost by default, a belief in an after life entails a belief in a divine being, or god.
Again, there is no empirical, scientifically testable evidence of an after life, as with god, it is a matter of faith.
Humans are the only ones who bury their dead. As far as I know, the Neanderthals were the first ones to do so. Searching for almost 15 years for answers - how did funeral rites start and why, I still haven't found an answer.
Faced with something unknown, humans tend to rationalise, and search for a 'best explanation' about it. Gods and miracles fit that bill. But how many still believe a bolt of lightening is thrown by Thor or Zeus?
Some reasons why many people believe in a god:
(i) It gives them comfort to believe into a benevolent being, taking care of them if not in this life then in the hereafter.
(ii) It removes personal responsibility, just follow what has been ordained.
(iii) If one follows divine commands, as espoused by secular representatives of any gods, one will be rewarded if not in this life, then in the next.
(iv) Transgressors will be punished if not in this life, then in the next.
(v) Adherence to religious tenets helps to reinforce cultural mores; which in turn simplifies societal life.

Humans are capable of abstract thoughts. Thinking or talking of Pegasus, the Sphinx and other mythical creatures don't make them real. Neither does it make any gods real.
The simple answer is, it wasn't god who created human in his/her/its image, it was humans created god with with a superhuman image.
 robfish
Msg: 220
Posted: 10/19/2008 10:01:12 PM
Simple answer - No!

Having lost my mother at a young age (42) , and then my gf (26) and father (66) in the last 2 years I have little respect for one if it happens to exist. I see religion and politics as the root of all evil. I remember the pope recently came out and blessed G.Bush for all the wonderful things that he has done........so apparently killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people to steal oil is a good thing?? We live in a sick world.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 221
Posted: 11/8/2008 2:30:37 AM
I've just read this whole thread and noticed the OP insist several times that it's a simple question, much like a lawyer, demanding a yes or no answer to the question "Have you stopped molesting children yet?"

Luckily though, despite the OP's delusional insistence, most posters have not resisted waffling on about their reasoning process, generally using totally irrelevant 'logic' they foolishly imagine forms the rock-solid foundation of whatever crackpot belief they adhere to.
So I figured I'd join in... but then I came to this Revelation!

Msg84:Well the word God means Good, so if you dont belive in God, then you dont belive in good.

Can't argue with that!

Senseless irrationalities are often quite difficult to refute!
Which is one of the problems in any discussion about religious belief.

I also found it odd the number of people relating stories about the vast numbers of personal friends, relatives, acquaintances, workmates, neighbours etc etc, who've shrugged off this mortal coil, many in more or less tragically unwarranted circumstances.
And then somehow finding the proof, in that sad roll-call, of a 'higher power' operating in the world.
Huh?
I know a whole lot of people who died pointlessly, therefore... there must be Salvation!
Yup, once again, it's hard to argue with the logic in that. Because there isn't any.

I've always liked Oscar Wilde's line in response to hearing someone had 'lost' both parents, he said "To lose one parent is forgivable, but to lose two is sheer carelessness."

Others find proof of the existence of god because they've noticed Evil in the world... whose name apparently is Satin?
And thanks to Naamah (Msg31) for alerting me to this, because I'd always thought polyester was the devil.

Of course! On Judging Day the fabric of the universe will be torn asunder, reality will split at the seams, as Satins minions gather in pin-tucks firing darts at the fraying remnants of life's grand pattern!
I guess that's when Cotton appears and strikes mightily at dark and fetid regions everywhere breathing a fresh message of liberation into the very gusset of humanity.
Yea, Only those who Janome shall wear glorious vestments and live in comfort for the whole of this season.

But on topic? No.

As usual, Naamah said it best...

..someone wrote that "the whole thing is just a bunch of people arguing about whose imaginary friend is better".
 Sabazella
Msg: 222
Posted: 11/8/2008 3:14:54 AM
After reading the above, I think the word "good" is very overrated.

So after much consideration, if it is to be linked permanently with the word "god", then I will happily delete it from my vocabulary, rather than be accused of using word with religious connotations when i am not a believer.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 223
Posted: 11/8/2008 4:02:15 PM
Gott in Himmel? hahahaaa Amüsantesten!

I'm impressed (but you do know this means you need to get a girlfriend?).

It's all part of the strategy, diligence, a willingness to learn, and the commitment to keep going until everyone has finished... is a beau regarde?

Gott (ausfüllend gestrichen)!
 Kissthisfrog !
Msg: 224
Posted: 11/8/2008 7:43:01 PM
I will say I do not believe in 'a god'

If there is 'A god'..., I can not possibly believe he/she/it..., is a god of compassion.

1NSATIABLE
Msg: 225
Posted: 11/8/2008 7:59:06 PM
ah but the afterlife is supposedly paradise .....
& the body just a vessel in which to transport us there!....
My Gods been good to me ......

simple answer "whose god?"
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > simple question - do you believe in a god?