Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 139
Why do men act like they are always busy?Page 5 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)

In my case I work a couple jobs, have a fairly decent social life and like to guarantee I get some alone time in my schedule (I used to work a third job, go to school full time as well and have been slacking off at the gym, so I am actually less busy than I used to be). The rest is free time to apply elsewhere. This is not a hugely packed schedule.

Most should have just about the same amount of things going on - if they don't, then they will find my schedule hectic. That won't be because it actually is.

In essence it's like this: If you're too busy to meet them, say, tomorrow at any time -- NO, you're not interested in meeting him tomorrow (due to lots of stuff, etc).

If you can't pencil him in for another 2 weeks -- you're not interested in seeing him for another 2 weeks.

Regardless of "why" -- you just aren't. You're more interested in going to work.... time set aside for your social life... your alone time.... or whatever. Whatever you prioritize, whether it be very wise or not all that necessary -- is moot. You're not interested.

When you're too busy doing other things to see them -- you're not interested in seeing them.
 PlentyofThis123
Msg: 140
Why do men act like they are always busy?
Posted: 2/12/2014 1:47:53 AM
Regardless of "why" -- you just aren't. You're more interested in going to work.... time set aside for your social life... your alone time.... or whatever. Whatever you prioritize, whether it be very wise or not all that necessary -- is moot. You're not interested.

Right....anyone can MAKE the time to date someone IF they are interested enough, I don't know why someone would think otherwise and make it sound like "Yeah, I'm interested in him/her, but I'm just too busy".

I had to laugh when I heard, "HE needs to find MORE stuff to do" lol.

I know people that would give up an activity (an evening) with their friends for one night to go on a date, why can't you? I'm sure you friends would understand. Do your friends depend on you to be there for said activity?

Anyhow, the common denominator here, again, its not the fact that you're busy...it's the fact you're not into them.
 or_current_resident
Msg: 141
Posted: 2/12/2014 7:01:19 AM
belle@
Let's do one better, someone with enough money to take one of my jobs off my plate so that I can spend more time with him, lol.

^^^^^^
imo, those who care about each other, that sometimes it is a fine "balancing act" at times in making their relationship work in unison and harmony. Nothing is perfect but each other common desire & respect both have together & alone….
As when u see that person again…..as it's like the song….the very first time…...

And when your with the "right person" it's amazing how you both know that busy is just for the birds…..as some birds know how to click…..click…click……

So if he or she say always too busy, sometimes I think it like those who only in the AKA "Survivor Mood" out of the dating circle,relationship thing.

If thats the case, get some cats for pets……cheers
 cooldog65
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2014 9:07:33 AM

Let's do one better, someone with enough money to take one of my jobs off my plate so that I can spend more time with him, lol.

I'm not quite connecting the dots here. What does a man's income have to do with taking one of your jobs off your plate? Isn't that something you would do on your own whether you were seeing somebody or not?
 or_current_resident
Msg: 143
Posted: 2/12/2014 1:14:21 PM

I'm not quite connecting the dots here. What does a man's income have to do with taking one of your jobs off your plate?

No offense cooldog, but belle was making a joke out of that reply…..lol ^^^^^ that what that means….

Isn't that something you would do on your own whether you were seeing somebody or not?

Well ….we would all like that in a perfect world, but some of us still need to work to pay the bills & put food on the table….or in my case having hobbies why she works her fingers to the bone….lol

And hope one day she get rid of all those cats! lol ^^^^ cheers
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2014 1:22:38 PM
A man who is always busy, is not interested.

A man who is interested, is not always busy.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 145
Posted: 2/12/2014 2:55:56 PM
Right....anyone can MAKE the time to date someone IF they are interested enough, I don't know why someone would think otherwise and make it sound like "Yeah, I'm interested in him/her, but I'm just too busy".

I pretty much agree with you.... I fully 100% agree with you, based on a technicality. :)

Say I have to work ALL DAY tomorrow. I literally have no time free. Well, technically I do. The laws of physics are not stopping me from cancelling all or some of work tomorrow. No, I'm not going to go out on a date, even if she seems like a great catch. But wait, what's the date you say? 3 Sweedish volleyball players looking to get naughty with me at the same time, they have no boundaries, and are going to pay for an outing? Beer commercial on steroids here I come -- YES, I am *that* interested. :) So TECHNICALLY, yes.

Essentially it's all a priorities thing -- whether it's about tomorrow, sometime during the week, or all of next week. We tend to gauge "he/she's not that into me" when even a Busy person would have time for something relatively short-n-sweet in a reasonable given length of time. If they can't -- and your own schedule isn't blocking their numerous openings -- they're "not that interested".

I think the whole "Yes, I'm interested in them, but I'm just too busy (to see them anytime in the near future)" almost always means "There's some attraction there, but I'm busy with higher priorities, which will include chill time with myself & friends."
 that_ol_lady
Msg: 146
Posted: 2/12/2014 4:18:45 PM

LiliMarleen

A man who is always busy, is not interested.

A man who is interested, is not always busy.

^^^^ this rite here 100% truth
 PlentyofThis123
Msg: 147
Posted: 2/12/2014 5:36:47 PM

Say I have to work ALL DAY tomorrow. I literally have no time free. Well, technically I do. The laws of physics are not stopping me from cancelling all or some of work tomorrow. No, I'm not going to go out on a date, even if she seems like a great catch. But wait, what's the date you say? 3 Sweedish volleyball players looking to get naughty with me at the same time, they have no boundaries, and are going to pay for an outing? Beer commercial on steroids here I come -- YES, I am *that* interested. :) So TECHNICALLY, yes.

You paint it so eloquently. Lol. Also, one has control of over how busy they are, too. In addition to that, to me “being busy” doesn't include social life with friends. Usually I find being busy is related something based on a need or some kind of necessity.

I mean, do you friends REALLY depend on you to join them for night out? I don't think so. I know tons of men that would give that up in a heart beat if they had some cutie lined up that night for a date. Why not give up a night with your friends for a date, right?

"Where did Tim go, he's suppose to join us for poker night!"

"Eh, he's on a hot date with a woman"

"Oh okay, deal me in"

See, they can live without him.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 148
Posted: 2/12/2014 7:13:56 PM

In essence it's like this: If you're too busy to meet them, say, tomorrow at any time -- NO, you're not interested in meeting him tomorrow (due to lots of stuff, etc).

First of all if this is a person I haven't yet met - interest isn't established, so there's no priority yet in the equation (and it's the same in reverse). I am interested in meeting someone quickly, inexpensively, conveniently to both parties. If that's on the way home from work tomorrow for 15 minutes, then that's fine.

If you can't pencil him in for another 2 weeks -- you're not interested in seeing him for another 2 weeks.

I can always pencil someone in for a meet. It will usually tend to be on the way or on the way back from somewhere, in a place I would likely go anyway and for as long as it won't throw my schedule.

If someone wants a production for a meet, yeah they'll be waiting longer as I have to carve more out of my schedule than a quick pit stop...but who wants that for a first meeting where you may realize after 10 minutes you don't want to be there?

This depends on what the situation is. Meeting someone initially is where I establish interest or lack of it - so I can't be interested until I meet them and figure this out. Dating someone is nice, but a person is going to become part of my life, not my whole life. If they work as much as or more than me - they won't care how much I work. If they like some space like I do, they won't care that I do. If they have friends and a social circle outside of the relationship, they won't care that I do. and on and on.

When you're too busy doing other things to see them -- you're not interested in seeing them.

If I never want to see them, then yes. If the time I have available isn't enough for them (within reason), that's because they aren't busy enough.

You paint it so eloquently. Lol. Also, one has control of over how busy they are, too. In addition to that, to me “being busy” doesn't include social life with friends. Usually I find being busy is related something based on a need or some kind of necessity.

Being busy means you have something already planned and cannot plan something where you already made plans...I don't tend to make plans to do things I don't like to do or don't need to do so most plans are a necessity to those making them, even if the plan is to avoid making plans.

I mean, do you friends REALLY depend on you to join them for night out?

I don't go out with friends because they need me there, I go because I enjoy spending time with friends. I don't have a required day or time I spend with friends, but if I have plans with them I don't cancel them cause some dude wants to take me out. If I had plans to head out with friends on Saturday night, then that's on unless it gets cancelled for some reason among those friends.

I don't think so. I know tons of men that would give that up in a heart beat if they had some cutie lined up that night for a date. Why not give up a night with your friends for a date, right?

Why would you do this? I never understood hanging out with friends because you have no dating prospects. Don't your friends have more value to you than filler between dates? This is why some men in relationships don't have any friends around and tend to lean on their SO for that companionship.

"Where did Tim go, he's suppose to join us for poker night!"
"Eh, he's on a hot date with a woman"
"Oh okay, deal me in"
See, they can live without him.

My friends can live without me too - obviously me not being around won't cause them to stop breathing. But they don't want to live without me nor do I them. There are too many other days I can hang out with some guy - I don't see why I should have to toss my friends aside for it. I had a couple friends who would make plans for a Saturday night on Wednesday and then would call Saturday afternoon and tell you nevermind because some guy called. That's a good way to let the person you're dating know that you're willing to drop anything for them, and that's not a good thing for them to learn.

That said, if I make plans with someone to go on a date, I'm not going to cancel on that date for my friends, either - with me it's first come first serve.
 localRenoite12
Msg: 149
Posted: 2/13/2014 12:51:09 AM
Because according to every pick-up artist, dating guide, successful seducer, "bad boy", and guys in relationships if you make yourself seem too available then women will lose attraction towards you and you will get friendzone'd, labeled a creep, or the girl will just stop communicating. Men are expected to live successful and busy lives and I suppose this gender role has become ingrained into the factors that build attraction.
 PlentyofThis123
Msg: 150
Posted: 2/13/2014 2:23:29 AM

I had a couple friends who would make plans for a Saturday night on Wednesday and then would call Saturday afternoon and tell you nevermind because some guy called. That's a good way to let the person you're dating know that you're willing to drop anything for them, and that's not a good thing for them to learn.

Well, that's different, if you've already made scheduled, firm plans, to do something together, that's one thing. I'd just schedule the date for a Fri night if I was going out with friends Sat. night.

Most of the time though, friends that I know usually don't schedule things that far ahead, they say things like, "Hm, Sat. night? Right now I'll have to see what I have going on for that Saturday and I'll let you know.

I have friends that don't plan that far ahead though. If I wind up having a date planned on a Sat. night before they are able to make such a decision for that night...well, I'm not going to wait around for my friends to make such a decision. Same goes the other way around.

Most plans that my friends tend to make are rather tentative.

I dunno, WIP, you make it sound like you're never available to date. lol Of course, there are some variations you haven't mentioned in previous posts like you actually make firm plans with friends or how well you know the guy that you just met.

Of course, I think that's part of the problem, how do you expect to get to know the guy...in the initial states, if you can never plan a date with him?

Though, I have known friends that typically touch base on an occasional basis once things have gotten serious with a guy/woman they've started seeing. I've known people to have couple up do this, it's usually the nature of the beast.

If they do spend time with their friends, they usually bring along their sig. other.
 PlentyofThis123
Msg: 151
Posted: 2/13/2014 3:02:20 AM
Also, this is another thing to consider. It's all up to interpretation on what "too available" or "too busy" is.

People have varying levels of availability. There are variations here to consider.

People may be okay with NOT occupying their time with other things that keep them busy. I mean, I could spend the entire Sat. afternoon being a couch potato watching horror movies if I want. It's my choice, if something came up on that day I'd be happy to put the Blu-ray on pause and do said event.

Of course, there MAY be some sacrifice and compromised involved as well.

The notion that someone else should "be more busy" just because YOU are busy, is rather silly. You would need to find someone that is on the same page with you there. Of course, if TWO people are too busy for each other. it's a wash and it won't work anyhow.
 Walts
Msg: 152
Posted: 2/13/2014 6:24:19 AM
Steelhead season, Sept - April.

Trout season, May - October

Whiskey drinking, 13 months of the year.

Yeah, I don't have a lot of free time.
 cooldog65
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2014 8:39:46 AM
Somebody who is extremely busy would lose my interest very quickly. What's in it for me when there are others who are more readily available? I would hate to be too busy to enjoy some leisure time. Oh well...that's just me. To each their own.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 154
Posted: 2/13/2014 9:32:38 AM

Well, that's different, if you've already made scheduled, firm plans, to do something together, that's one thing. I'd just schedule the date for a Fri night if I was going out with friends Sat. night.

Exactly. The only time I knew I wasn't around no matter what certain nights or times was when I worked 3 jobs and did night school 4 nights a week. I could still fit in real quick sit downs at that time but I was too distracted to really do much with it.

Most of the time though, friends that I know usually don't schedule things that far ahead, they say things like, "Hm, Sat. night? Right now I'll have to see what I have going on for that Saturday and I'll let you know.

My friends do...we plan dinners or events or that sort of thing. There is a group that gets together and goes out dancing on either one or both nights on the weekend - girls are always welcome to join if they are free so long as they let the group know they're coming.

I have friends that don't plan that far ahead though. If I wind up having a date planned on a Sat. night before they are able to make such a decision for that night...well, I'm not going to wait around for my friends to make such a decision. Same goes the other way around.
Most plans that my friends tend to make are rather tentative.

Well then in your case it makes sense to not discount anything else. I know some men would rather spend a night out with a woman they barely know than friends they've known for years. That's never been me - my close long time friends are always a pleasure to hang out with and yes - we do plan our nights in advance so we can be sure we can all make it.

I dunno, WIP, you make it sound like you're never available to date. lol Of course, there are some variations you haven't mentioned in previous posts like you actually make firm plans with friends or how well you know the guy that you just met.

Yes, it depends on my frame of mind, my schedule, how well I know the guy, any established interest and what I'm putting aside for the date. There have been times I was on the way to a date wondering if I was going to regret leaving the couch and DVD player - with good reason. A lot of the time dating isn't really a priority to me anyway unless I should happen to meet someone that actually makes the process of dating more appealing to me.

Of course, I think that's part of the problem, how do you expect to get to know the guy...in the initial states, if you can never plan a date with him?

If I am interested (and it's mutual) based on a meet, then I will get together with him when our schedules allow...but I'm not going to be doing a whole lot of last minute stuff. I may have to plan something a week out in the initial stages unless/until a guy's technically "in my life". By that time we'll both be more of a priority to one another and have an allowance in our schedules for each other.

Also, this is another thing to consider. It's all up to interpretation on what "too available" or "too busy" is.

People have varying levels of availability. There are variations here to consider.

People may be okay with NOT occupying their time with other things that keep them busy. I mean, I could spend the entire Sat. afternoon being a couch potato watching horror movies if I want. It's my choice, if something came up on that day I'd be happy to put the Blu-ray on pause and do said event.

In my case, that gets scheduled in - there are times I don't have anything planned and I enjoy that. By the time that day comes I look forward to sitting on the couch or heading to the gym, or whatever else I feel like doing - and I'm not usually real interested in changing that if my phone rings. Ideally I'd like to date someone that once we're serious - if we enjoy our alone time - being together won't take away from that serenity. I don't do things alone because there's no one else around - I do things alone because I enjoy it. Sometimes forced one on one human interaction drains me and I need a break from it.

Of course, there MAY be some sacrifice and compromised involved as well.

There always is.

The notion that someone else should "be more busy" just because YOU are busy, is rather silly. You would need to find someone that is on the same page with you there. Of course, if TWO people are too busy for each other. it's a wash and it won't work anyhow.

If someone is complaining that I am too busy then our levels of business aren't on the same page. For example, if I am with someone and feel they have no time for me, the first thing I would do is look at how open my schedule is and find a way to occupy my time. If someone is too busy for anyone, that's another story - there are times in life where dating isn't really something we have to be doing.

Somebody who is extremely busy would lose my interest very quickly. What's in it for me

OK see, it's not in my nature to wonder what's in it for me - so I can't really relate to this. I don't date with the frame of mind of wondering what I get out of it....
 Paderic
Msg: 155
Posted: 2/13/2014 11:38:30 AM
Believe it or not, people have lives before they meet you.

Personally, I need to get to know someone before I can determine a level of interest beyond the initial physical attraction. It doesn't happen overnight.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 156
Posted: 2/13/2014 3:57:54 PM
First of all if this is a person I haven't yet met - interest isn't established, so there's no priority yet in the equation

Yep -- you're not that interested. But there is a priority -- and there is SOME level of interest, otherwise you wouldn't be talking to them. It's low. And it can go to zero (or even negative lol) once you meet them, or go up.

My argument isn't about what one "should" do or not do -- and what's legit to what degree as far as tolerance of another is concerned -- that's a separate one. However, if you're not a priority on what would be considered "adequate" -- they're not that interested. Whether it be a family member dying or wanting to watch a Friday the 13th movie marathon in mid-July.

I think people don't want to say "No, I'm not that interested in you right now.... but I could be later." They want to say "No, no, don't say that..." It is that. There can be totally obvious reasons, dumb reasons, or anything in-between as to why you're more interested in X vs Y. X or Y can be a dating prospect or a gf/bf. Interest-level, when there is at least something above absolute zero, is dependent on other interests -- not just other dating prospects.

People need to have guts to say "No, actually, I wasn't that interested in Sally. I was busy, I had x,y,z going on. So I wasn't lying to Sally when I told her I was too busy. But then again, with hot Stacey, suddenly I FELT less busy aside from her, even though I did have the same level of x,y,z going on then too. It is about level of interest, not just busyness. We like to say we ARE interested because we're interested in having them hang in the background as a prospect or not look like a bad guy -- but really, we substitute 'busy' to be nicer -- even if there's still potential."
 PlentyofThis123
Msg: 157
Posted: 2/15/2014 4:58:40 AM

My argument isn't about what one "should" do or not do -- and what's legit to what degree as far as tolerance of another is concerned -- that's a separate one. However, if you're not a priority on what would be considered "adequate" -- they're not that interested. Whether it be a family member dying or wanting to watch a Friday the 13th movie marathon in mid-July.

Seems to me, some aren't willing to justify putting someone someone higher up on their list of priorities next to "washing her hair", if he/she is a stranger from a dating site. But, it pretty much defeats the purpose of being on this site since one's objective IS to see if they are someone worth setting aside certain activities for. I.e. - movie marathon in your sweats.

It just seems to me that some people haven't really met anyone that justified moving her schedule around. Also the idea of having to be "squeezed" into someone's schedule isn't all too appealing.

I can't figure out why people won't just SAY, "This person didn't interest me enough to make me want to give up trivia night for a date ." as opposed to being legitimately busy.
 HonkyTonk_Woman
Msg: 158
Posted: 2/15/2014 6:46:34 AM

I can't figure out why people won't just SAY, "This person didn't interest me enough to make me want to give up trivia night for a date ." as opposed to being legitimately busy

Yep...that's it in a nutshell.
No effort...not that interested in meeting. I don't think these type do it because it's personally "you" but more about the whole concept of the face to face meet with anyone.....imo.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 159
Posted: 2/16/2014 11:01:51 AM

Seems to me, some aren't willing to justify putting someone someone higher up on their list of priorities next to "washing her hair", if he/she is a stranger from a dating site. But, it pretty much defeats the purpose of being on this site since one's objective IS to see if they are someone worth setting aside certain activities for. I.e. - movie marathon in your sweats.

That's not everyone's objective - that's the point. It may be yours. YMMV. And if you enjoy a movie marathon in your sweats and have a day planned where you want to do that, then you are busy.

It just seems to me that some people haven't really met anyone that justified moving her schedule around. Also the idea of having to be "squeezed" into someone's schedule isn't all too appealing.

I don't understand why this is a problem - this is a person you haven't met yet or have only met once and interest in that person is likely not established. Why should they prioritize you beyond their current schedule, or vice versa? Sounds like entitlement. I can't imagine expecting someone who barely knows me to rearrange their schedule so that I can make an appearance in it - what kind of self absorbed person would I have to be? I am very conscious of wasting someone else's time - just as I don't want to move my life around to meet someone for an hour that I may not have further interest in - I am also not about to make someone else do that either.

I can't figure out why people won't just SAY, "This person didn't interest me enough to make me want to give up trivia night for a date ." as opposed to being legitimately busy.

1. I have said that, it's offended certain people. Those people are not a match for me if they find that offensive, so it's a win-win.
2. You are projecting your theory on what busy is. To some, trivia night is legitimately busy, and may be more important to them than a date with a new person they aren't overly excited about. You may not see it that way. That's your viewpoint, and that doesn't mean it's accurate to anyone else.
 TOaks91360
Msg: 160
Posted: 3/7/2014 5:48:13 PM
Having a life is fine, but someone that digs you will discuss there schedule and work with you to sync your schedules together.

Not knowing your schedule indicates you're either unorganized or window shopping (not gender specific either).

This ain't rocket science, if these 'busy' men like you, they'll counter offer with a time they are not busy. Dating 101:)

Also, I do believe some people truly are so content with there lives to the point that having the opposite sex in their lives is just a convenient past time or distraction to pursue when there's an opening in their Franklin planners. They want the relationship to fall on certain days of the week on their schedule with no regards to your needs. Next...
 PlentyofThis123
Msg: 161
Posted: 3/8/2014 4:15:02 AM
1. I have said that, it's offended certain people. Those people are not a match for me if they find that offensive, so it's a win-win.
2. You are projecting your theory on what busy is. To some, trivia night is legitimately busy, and may be more important to them than a date with a new person they aren't overly excited about. You may not see it that way. That's your viewpoint, and that doesn't mean it's accurate to anyone else.

Okay, let's coincide with TOaks post ...he mentions that if she says "she's busy" and doesn't make a counter offer of when she'll be available.

"I got trivia night Fri night with my friends, however, are I would be available ". Then I can see some viable interest, if you just say, "Sorry, I'm busy that night" and you bring nothing else to the table as a counter offer, you have no interest in the person.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 162
Posted: 3/9/2014 12:03:51 AM

Okay, let's coincide with TOaks post ...he mentions that if she says "she's busy" and doesn't make a counter offer of when she'll be available.

"I got trivia night Fri night with my friends, however, are I would be available ". Then I can see some viable interest, if you just say, "Sorry, I'm busy that night" and you bring nothing else to the table as a counter offer, you have no interest in the person.

I agree with you on most of this. If I am playing Parcheesi with friends on Saturday night (as an example - no I don't actually do this), no matter how silly that might be to someone that doesn't like that game or how they prioritize their friends, they have to respect that person's idea of busy-ness. I don't agree that the person who's busy has to explain what they are doing per-se - that's their choice to keep it to themselves.

I do believe that a person if interested should offer an alternative. In my case I had a crazy schedule at one point so I could only offer quick coffee (or similar) meets within the next couple days where I was between two things - on my way to or from something else. If a person wanted a longer more drawn out thing it wasn't possible to do without it being over a week away. I got some frustration over that - which IMO is unfair as there was an alternative offered.
 TOaks91360
Msg: 163
Posted: 3/9/2014 4:50:50 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
His frustration is his problem if you offered an alternative. I personally wouldn't be frustrated, but I might have suggested that we stay in touch and try to plan something the following week when more time was available. To each their own.

I don't want to miss out on a chance to meet someone because of schedule conflicts so I'm very patient and try to keep all opportunities on the table.

I've joking told ladies that I respect their busy schedules and the odds of me being meeting a girlfriend during the next two weeks are slim:)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >