Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 x_file
Msg: 237
Guys don't want to be just friends, but girls do, why is that?Page 4 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)

What a load of crap. Attraction IS a choice, because we aren't animals that merely select mates based on dumb instinct.

Attraction is not a choice, and you can easily convince yourself of that. Just look at some women, perhaps at the mall, or on the street, and realize that some turn you on and some don't.

Additionally your "we're not animals" justification is weak at best - I can elaborate if you wish so.

"Attraction's not a choice", what a truly foolish thing to say. I do hope you realize that little statement can very easily be interpreted to mean that you *can't* be trusted... because once you marry some loser, you won't be able to stay faithful.

You seem to be mixing "attraction" and "sex". Having sex is a choice. Being attracted to someone isn't.

Just because I'm attracted to someone, it doesn't mean I am going to have sex with them. And just because I'm not attracted to someone it doesn't mean that I won't have sex with them.

How are you connecting attraction, trust, sex/faithful?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 239
Guys don't want to be just friends, but girls do, why is that?
Posted: 6/24/2008 2:24:00 PM

What a load of crap. Attraction IS a choice, because we aren't animals that merely select mates based on dumb instinct.

I select mates based on attraction. Maybe you date women you have no interest in. I don't know - I choose to go with someone I can stand to look at and actually be in close proximity to. I'm a stinker like that.

"Attraction's not a choice", what a truly foolish thing to say. I do hope you realize that little statement can very easily be interpreted to mean that you *can't* be trusted... because once you marry some loser, you won't be able to stay faithful. As soon as someone else buzzes by that floats your boat and you sail away with him out into the ocean of cheaters, then hey... not your fault, hubby just needs to deal with it, right? Because "Attraction's not a choice". You couldn't help it!

Again, I wouldn't (hypothetically, Lord knows I won't do it anyway) marry someone I wasn't attracted to, so the chances of meeting someone and walking on a marriage are slim to none. If you marry someone you have no attraction to (by choice, lol) yes you can be MORE attracted to someone outside that marriage. But, why would you do that?

If some of you women are really going to take such a deliberately heartless approach towards men with getting your digs in, at least think of something to say that isn't totally sabotaging your own credibility.

If you are single, then you prove my theory wrong - because you'd be with the first girl who showed you interest. If you don't want to date her because you aren't attracted to her, why don't you just CHOOSE to be attracted? According to your theory this should be possible. Answer that and we'll have something.

God forbid, anyone accept accountability for their own choices anymore. In the reality of things, you do have a choice... because you have a mind. You don't have to abandon all sense and sensibility and go for some dip that will break your heart, just because he made your flower want to bloom. You can actually, believe it or not, make the conscious choice of whom you want to love... and you can choose someone that actually deserves you.

Dude, you're mixing attraction with common sense. Yes I might be attracted to a death row inmate, or a married guy, or a drug addict - but DUH, I know if I have any sense it's not someone I should date. On the other hand, a guy who's perfect for me but I could never sleep with because he repulses me isn't someone I would date either. This is about physical chemistry, not best interest. Get your definitions straight.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 242
Posted: 6/24/2008 8:45:17 PM
mustbpatient --

You are confusing attraction and attracTIVE. Attraction has a lot of components that combine looks and a whole lot of other characteristics. And before you say you don't care about looks at all, I'm going to say that you do.

Everyone has limits. If she was 400 pounds would you be interested? A face full of carbunkles? Bad hygiene habits? I guarantee that there are some physical features that just wouldn't do it for you -- even if the physical isn't way up high on your list.

But even people who do have looks higher up on the list than you do also have other criteria based on personality, goals, ethics, and other character traits.

And they all lead to whether or not you are going to be attracted to them.

It's NOT a choice. If someone doesn't possess the qualities that you find important in a mate, you're just NOT going to have that connection.
 Stan Powder
Msg: 244
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2008 9:43:09 PM
Like I said before, if I'm seeing a girl, and one of her close friends is a man, I honestly hope the dude is gay lol. Seriously it's better the guy is technically one of the girls, because if he's straight he always ends up getting feelings for the girl and turns drama queen on her ass, while I'm on the verge of tapping it.

Sorry didn't mean to go off there, but seriously a couple of girls I've been with had male friends that would end up spoiling my fun of being with someone I liked, and it would get messy Dawson Creek style.
 Adam 4 Coffee
Msg: 249
Posted: 6/25/2008 1:30:29 AM
Some women are nuts and this si a dating site nto a friendship site. One of the worst things a woman cna tell me is that she jsut sees me as or jsut wants to be friends. It makes me want to puke everytime a girl bumps me down to friend status. I'm sexy, I'm attractive. I am intelligent. Take your friendship and shove it where I was going to shove it before you just cheated yourself out of dinner and some shoving it fun! These are my sentiments! If we go on a date and you don't like me fine... we can go our seperate ways. But to tell me that she just wants to be friends especially before even meeting me? What gives? Its a fricken profile usually with awful photos tht don't tell the whole story. its really tough putting yourself out there. And getting rejected becuase you are too short or tall or don't ahve a good job becuase you are still in school. I'm fun, drama free, and have a real knack for knowing a little bit about almost every subject.

And its funny when a woman offers you this so called "just friendship" And she does nothing to help you out. ok do we hang out as friends? Is she going to hook me up with her friends? When a girl says she wants to be firends it means I don't want to knwo you becuase she thinks she is better than you or too good for you or that you are not good enough for her. Or is just plain shallow. If I don't like someone I let them know. If I say thsi is not working I say it. I'm honest!

I will say ok we can be friends but I expect you to introduce me to your single friends. Otherwise friendship denied. I have a few clsoe friends. I prefer quality to quantity and tend to push people away. I am not looking for friends I'm looking for someone who is fun to be with who loves me for me. And is willing to take a chance on meeting a great guy.
 vaxplant
Msg: 250
Posted: 6/25/2008 2:12:43 AM
When a woman says "let's be friends" to a guy 99% of the time it means that the guy has failed to spark sufficient attraction in the woman, or has disqualified himself as a mate in her eyes in some way or form. Personally, I've got a lot of true friends in my life already and I don't need any more - they take up enough time as is.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 251
Posted: 6/25/2008 7:18:08 AM

And this makes you unique... how? This somehow excludes you from all the other dime-a-dozen shallow people... how?

I ask again, are you single and looking? If not - fabulous. If so, how come? Any woman who approaches you should be your type - or if not, you can simply choose to make her so to suit your search. BAM! Instant relationship. Well if that's what you want.

I've rejected outright, or otherwise deliberately sabotaged opportunities with women so beautiful, that most men would crawl through a sewer for the chance to be involved with them. Because of choice. I've done it more than once, I've pretty much consistently been doing it for most of my life actually. Because I'm actually pretty damn picky about things that have nothing to do with a person's appearance. (You can believe that or not)

First of all - what does it for me may not do it for anyone else. So my attractive to another woman might be rat bait. Second, AS I STATED BEFORE, if a man I have initial attraction to turns out to be a tool - then naturally I wouldn't consider him any further. Attraction isn't the whole package, but it's gotta be there.

I've also involved myself with women, and absolutely adored them from head to toe, when they were so physically plain looking or otherwise just blatantly unattractive that the majority of guys wouldn't have glanced twice at them, and in fact - shot an awkward glance or two in my own direction because of who I chose to date and give a chance to. I did it because of choice. (You can believe that or not too)

I'm glad I am not someone you dated and found unattractive but did anyway because it suited you, and I won't do that to anyone else either. The person you date should be someone YOU find attractive, even if no one else does. And they should want you to find them attractive - naturally as time goes on it's about more than physical, but initially it should be to some degree.

Do I discount every physically alluring woman just because she's beautiful? Of course not, that's ridiculous. Do I fling myself at every ugly woman that comes along? Don't be absurd. The point is that yes, attraction is a choice... at least for those of us who choose for it to be. I know it is, because numerous times I've proven the fact in my own life. So if you think I'm just slinging meaningless words around that I can't back up, then you seriously are clueless about who you're talking to.

No, I think we're saying the same thing but in different ways - weird, I just had this conversation with another guy in another thread - I think when men hear "choice" it messes them all up. AGAIN, I may find a man good looking who let's say just murdered someone, but if I have any common sense, I won't date him, or consider him an option. I am talking the simple chemistry that exists between two people on sight only. From there anyone who's not a total idiot would want to look beyond the draw they have to someone to see if there's any type of reason to continue wanting to get to know them - yes THAT part you can choose.

It's a choice. And I don't know why anyone would want to be with somebody who thinks it ISN'T a choice.

Who you are drawn to is an instinct not a choice - what you do about it IS a choice. That's my point.

How many of you would want someone to fall in love with you because they just couldn't help it... because they just couldn't fight the feeling anymore... because they were just blown away by the chemistry and drawn to you like a magnet and couldn't explain why... because they think you're just so hot that they can't resist you... How many would want, or trust, a person that fell in love with them like that, just based on raw chemistry and instinct instead of any depth of conscious thought and choice based on the factors that actually matter? I would *not* trust a love like that, and neither should anyone else if they know what's good for them.

Anyone with any common sense would use their heads as well, so that it wouldn't be that random. That's why we were blessed with thought AND animal attraction. The key is to find both...

If I seriously consider being with someone, that "choice" is based roughly 20% on the generic attraction-factor that seems to rule a lot of people's every thought and action when it comes to sizing up potential love interests.

I don't disagree with you on that - if I'm to consider being serious I consider a myriad of other things - but it's the attraction that first gets my attention. If there's nothing BUT that, then I don't get serious at all. I most likely just get bored easily and move on.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 252
Posted: 6/25/2008 7:24:25 AM

If people would use their brain for something other than to keep their heads from caving in, there would indeed be a hell of a lot less "We had sex and now he doesn't call. Why? " topics.

You know, I've never had this happen ONCE. Why? Well, after you've been dating a man 6 months or so they're pretty much not looking for a conquest.

I don't see what this has to do with attraction AT ALL.

It has to do with refusing to have sex with someone who isn't in love with you.

And I could never have sex with a man to whom I wasn't attracted AND didn't love.
 MLG42
Msg: 256
Posted: 6/25/2008 9:13:59 AM
DJC Hickey,

That's why I said NEVER agree to being "Friends" with a woman YOU WANT .

.......Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

Thanks,......You are my evidence as to why I'm correct in everything I said.

NEVER be "Friends" with a woman YOU WANT, while another guy gets ALL the SEX "Benefits" of a relationship.

DO NOT EVER AGREE TO "Friends" with a woman YOU DESIRE.........(said it again).

Good point made, Did you read her own post on this topic.
"The "other" guy (usually BAD guy) gets all the SEX, while the guy "Friend" get's only the tears from the girl.

In her own words "You don't know that a bad guy gets all the sex, or that he's preventing you from getting any if he exists. Personally I have sex the whole time I am single, separate from dating and male friends. It just has no connection to anything else I am doing. If and when I meet someone and it become serious, than naturally he's the one I date and sleep with exclusively. And P.S. I am one of MANY women who do this. Sorry!"
Doesn't say much for her own respect about herself "Personally I have sex the whole time I am single, separate from dating and male friends. It just has no connection to anything else I am doing. " Sounds pretty much like a disease waiting to spread all over the place. spreading it from here to there. And she wonders why she can't find her partner in life. Sound to me like she has really no self confience to be treat like a ****. I will lokk at your profile to figure why you are on here , so I don't futher mis-judge you. But by what you wrote, It can't be that good.
I did read your profile, And it clearly states not looking for one night stands., This kind of make the mind wonder.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 257
Posted: 6/25/2008 9:21:11 AM
Doesn't say much for her own respect about herself "Personally I have sex the whole time I am single, separate from dating and male friends. It just has no connection to anything else I am doing. " Sounds pretty much like a disease waiting to spread all over the place. spreading it from here to there. And she wonders why she can't find her partner in life. Sound to me like she has really no self confience to be treat like a ****. I will lokk at your profile to figure why you are on here , so I don't futher mis judge you. But by what you wrote, It can't be that good.

I do find one person that I trust and know well to have sex with while single, and it's done safely. So sorry - but the disease thing doesn't apply to all who aren't in a relationship. There are grey areas - it's not all black and white, unfortunately. Yes, some women pick up a different guy every night for sex - but if they do they want to. Most women don't have to. If you aren't the type to like sex outside a relationship - then that's your thing. I won't judge you for that because I see nothing wrong with it. I'd appreciate the same courtesy.

I don't wonder why I don't have a partner - can you refer to where I said that? I don't have one because I choose not to date JUST anyone, and being single isn't a punishment - it's actually kinda nice. Also, why I am here doesn't matter to anyone here - or have any relevance to this thread. I could pick you apart personally, but it's not my style. So there's no research necessary on me...don't bother using your mouse. You're off topic. Let's get back to the thread.

Thanks!
 MLG42
Msg: 258
Posted: 6/25/2008 9:51:27 AM
I think it does refer to the topic, As Cptn American has said, that you; in my words don't pay attention to what has been written.
Like I said, I would look at your profile before making any futher statements, Wrong or right. You state that you are Not looking for one night stands, but yet you openly make known that is what you do.
True, we all have our mindset on how we handle sex. Be it in a relationship or even before one. But to post it in public forums will rise questionable intentions and comments.
But I bet if you quite giving yourself so freely to your guy Friend and state no more sex and mean it. He would more than likely move on to someone else, Or keep hanging around like a hungry begging dog looking to be feed. Which is pathetic.
I was saying that about a partner, Not meaning you personally were wondering. Sorry if you read that wrong a well. just for clearify.

My remarks were intended to show that there is what you stated just in my own opinion There are a way's a girl will string along and use men to fullfil there personal needs. And men as well. I have many woman friends, and that is all there is, my choice. I don't tell them or use them for my personal gain. And I will CLEARLY STATE that I don't point in YOUR direction.
So then the question is , If you have sex with a male , Turn around and call him a friend. And use them to fill in the voids in your life. Wouldn't it still be considered using someone and coating it ? Most people do not look at this a friendship. Even open minded people.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 260
Posted: 6/25/2008 1:29:22 PM
I think it does refer to the topic, As Cptn American has said, that you; in my words don't pay attention to what has been written.

LOL, ah but I do.

Like I said, I would look at your profile before making any futher statements, Wrong or right. You state that you are Not looking for one night stands, but yet you openly make known that is what you do.

I guess your version of a one night stand is different from...well everyone else's. And since you don't know what I do and assumed you did, well I have no need to further comment. I can have sex with myself, many different men, or just one and it's still sex. YOU took "sex" and saw "one night stand".....I can't help you with that - it was jumping to conclusions, and it wasn't the main topic (see header above). It also wasn't something I addressed to you.

True, we all have our mindset on how we handle sex. Be it in a relationship or even before one. But to post it in public forums will rise questionable intentions and comments.

Only for those who choose to see it their way no matter how CLEAR it's been spelled out. Again, can't help ya.

But I bet if you quite giving yourself so freely to your guy Friend and state no more sex and mean it. He would more than likely move on to someone else, Or keep hanging around like a hungry begging dog looking to be feed. Which is pathetic.
I was saying that about a partner, Not meaning you personally were wondering. Sorry if you read that wrong a well. just for clearify.

The idea that men are dogs and women are victims is REALLY tiring. Perhaps women are the agressors and men are the targets in some situations? Free your mind.

My remarks were intended to show that there is what you stated just in my own opinion. There are a way's a girl will string along and use men to fullfil there personal needs. And men as well. I have many woman friends, and that is all there is, my choice. I don't tell them or use them for my personal gain. And I will CLEARLY STATE that I don't point in YOUR direction.

Oh ok....then we're straight. However generally, two people having sex is beneficial for BOTH people, or they wouldn't be doing it (voluntarily, that is).

So then the question is , If you have sex with a male , Turn around and call him a friend. And use them to fill in the voids in your life. Wouldn't it still be considered using someone and coating it ? Most people do not look at this a friendship. Even open minded people.

It's only using someone if you lie about what's going on. No matter what I do in life, I am VERY clear and direct about what it means. If they know this and still participate, then I can only blame them. They are the only ones who can choose for themselves what's right for them.

Wait, just re-read DJ's profile she did state "no FWB's", so I stand corrected, she contradicted her profile in her post.

On the contrary - let me explain. In my opinion, one cannot have an FWB with someone they just met online - to me it's more of an established friendship with someone I've known a long time and a temporary sexual agreement is added (we're both single, not dating material to each other or not wanting to date but want to blow off some steam until one of us meets someone we consider serious). Therefore I don't want to be approached by strangers for an FWB, because in my definition it's not possible.

For me, an FWB usually ends up being an ex - familiar and attractive but not an option as a relationship cause it's already failed as one.
 good_catch77
Msg: 264
Posted: 6/25/2008 7:41:14 PM
ok I have kept up with post for a while now. And I've gotten a opinion on it. Maybe the best maybe the worst but like butt holes we've all got one.

Anyways, I don't think being friends with a woman is the problem its that some women that are friends with guys "take advantage" of that "friendship." Maybe the guy does this and that for her and never gets anything in return. Not even emotional support if something "bad" has happened. Then the guy fells "used" and "strung along." Now not every situation is like this but the ones with a negative outlook on the opinion is probably the ones that this happened to. And I include myself in this situation because that's what has happened to me, I felt used, nothing in return, etc. Even though I do have a couple really close friends that are gals but they are as equal as the really close friends that are guys. I've also gotten a few friends that were guys "use" me also. So for me it is not gender specific.

Best of luck to everyone
 VVendy
Msg: 266
Posted: 6/25/2008 8:44:28 PM
I have lots of friends that are guys I think that it is because I had three big brothers and was a stat girl. Must guys see me as a little sister. The bad thing is I have a hard time telling if a guy likes me more then that because I never see myself as the girl who goes out on dates with him. I'm so quick at making friends if I do not want a man that way at first site he can be my buddy for life. If I do like him that way and he does not ask me out within two days he is also a buddy even if he was "working up the nerve". I just will not feel it.
 VVendy
Msg: 269
Posted: 6/25/2008 8:58:57 PM
good post bb i took was part of a study that had 40k men from UK Canada and the US 80% matched me as thier perfect mate 1% were mine. The fun thing was that on certin days I was attracted to a whole different type of guy. I found that most women perfer the more strong/ruff looking guys on those days and the clean cut/ friendly about a week after. It was sponsered in the UK in the late 80's early 90's.
 VVendy
Msg: 271
Posted: 6/25/2008 9:20:23 PM
I had a friend who died a week after his mom showed me his jurnal he wrote all this stuff about how wonderful I was and all. He never asked me out on a date. He never gave me a clue he was feeling all that. I wished I had a time machine so i could go back and slap him.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 272
Posted: 6/26/2008 7:20:28 AM
Sorry, I don't buy it. lol

All the same to me.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck......

Not sure how you don't buy it - it's pretty clearly explained, and it is what it is. Sex with strangers is WAY different than sex with someone you know and trust, so I don't know what else to tell ya - they're just not related. Not all single people become nuns...most don't. Regardless of what you think, or they want you to believe.

Everyone's different. But that's not a new discovery. Nor is anything we're discussing the topic of the thread. So...back to the issue at hand.

Carry on, people.
 BestFisherLady
Msg: 279
Posted: 6/30/2008 11:07:55 PM
ONE DAY i WAS IN SOME phycological training. We were discussing about frienship between males and females.
Statistics say
90% men BELIEVE(!) in friendship between male&female.
100% women DON't believe in friendship.
In my opinion, if a man decide to be female's friend he always hope one day to see her in his bed! It means she has to attract him very good! :-))
How long can this friendship be depends on how strong this woman or how patient this man or how strong the attract each other.
 BestFisherLady
Msg: 280
Posted: 6/30/2008 11:08:26 PM
ONE DAY i WAS IN SOME phycological training. We were discussing about frienship between males and females.
Statistics say
90% men BELIEVE(!) in friendship between male&female.
100% women DON't believe in this friendship.
In my opinion, if a man decide to be female's friend he always hope one day to see her in his bed! It means she has to attract him very good! :-))
How long can this friendship be depends on how strong this woman or how patient this man or how strong the attract each other.
 VVendy
Msg: 282
Posted: 7/1/2008 7:07:37 PM
Troother?
That was what the study found it has been published and it is why if I meet a guy and start dating him during that time I have a very handsome built man in my life (the strippers, models, sales men, lawyers and actors) if I meet a guy and start dating him at some other time he is very nice and interesting to be around (the ADA, the doctors, business owners, teachers, comics, and the CPA).
Yes an ADA is a lawyer but he was a very thin and bookish.

I could not be friends with guys from the former group but am friends with nearly all of the latter group.

Why did it take so long for 9 people to post?
 VVendy
Msg: 285
Posted: 7/8/2008 9:48:16 PM
It is a lot of thing for different people. To me I just look at the guy and think, why am I with him? Then I'm not. If they asked me I could not say this is why. I do know that lover is not what I feel for any of them. Friendly, sisterly, motherly, or calm are my feeling toward the friend list. The bad thing is a lot of guys want to be your friend and then flip in to something else that is why I make it clear I do not need any more friends.
 kenny1979
Msg: 286
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 10:06:33 PM
Posted By: onwaves on 7/15/2007 156 AM
Subject: Guys don't want to be just friends, but girls do, why is that?
Message: If a woman calls you a friend, there could be 2 reasons for that.

1) You aren't attractive to her, just someone to have her pay for dinner and to have a shoulder to cry on when her good looking as*hole bf treats her bad. (But she will stay with him anyway, go figure)

2) You are in the bull pen, with a bunch of other guys, waiting your turn, which will most likely never happen.

PERFECTLY SAID I couldn't agree with this anwser more...............................
 Sweetenuff074
Msg: 288
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2008 10:04:44 PM
I think men are willing to risk the friendship to be in a committed relationship or a friend with benefits. Men are more apt to feel he has enough friends. Whereas the woman treasures the friendship to the point she's not willing to risk the friendship by making it a committed relationship that may not work and then she lose a friend with who their relationship was very precious to her.

Sweetenuff
 ommnibox
Msg: 293
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2008 10:02:55 AM
because guys and girls have different "ladders"

Guys have ONE ladder, and every guy places that girl on the ladder in order of what level he would sleep with her. the top of the ladder being the impossible dream girl like jessica alba or something like that.

Girls have two ladders. One ladder is the Friend ladder And the other ladder is the Sex ladder. Girl will automatically know which ladder you are going on when they first meet you. The top of there sex ladder being the impossible dream guy like brad pitt or something like that.

Now the top of the Friend ladder is know as the Cuddle B****. This is the guy who a girl can cozy up to without fear of sex happening.

Now It is Possible For the Person on the top of the friends ladder to make the leap to the sex ladder. Bear in mind, that You can't just jump straight across from top to top. There is gravity. So you will inevitably fall down to somewhere around the middle of the womans sex ladder. But here is the thing. While in mid flight to the sex ladder, a girl can kick you off. At which point you fall into the abyss. not reaching the sex ladder and not getting back to the friend ladder, things just become wierd and akward. and any hope of a relationship of anykind is now over!

Its just a joke, but it's kind of true to.
 ommnibox
Msg: 295
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2008 10:09:34 AM
lol you went biblical on me butt! thats friggin awesome!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >