Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jonas63
Msg: 300
view profile
History
Guys don't want to be just friends, but girls do, why is that?Page 5 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
In my opinion a " friends only" relationship between a men and a woman can only occur when BOTH are completely disinterested from each other sexually.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 302
view profile
History
Guys don't want to be just friends, but girls do, why is that?
Posted: 4/3/2009 10:30:30 PM
The prettier or the more handsomer you are, the more "friends" you will have hanging around you, hoping to upgrade their status to "more than friends".
 bo_weeks
Msg: 304
Posted: 4/3/2009 11:13:39 PM
l know l can be *just friends* with a woman and l'll tell you why...a womens point of view on gender neutral issues is better than a guys. That's just the way l see it. lf l want a totally different point of view, l ask a woman. Guys pretty much think alike, therefore to find a contrasting opinion a woman is necessary. To me, the way a woman thinks makes a lot more sense most times.
 ManFromMesa
Msg: 306
Posted: 6/13/2009 8:34:27 PM
what some ladies mean when she starts the whole thing as friends,even though your friends is you will have to qualify as if your dating and you will most likely pay for everything,men call this a free ride,some ladies call this "just friends".

Just friends and friends with benefits are the same thing,I have had ladies act jealous and be demanding and want tons of affection and thoughtful ,"I miss you" texts,when they demanded they did not want to date,they only want a friend,I'm afraid this is denial or something because if you act like your dating then you might as well call it dating.And also the ones that boldly stated if your looking for friends with benefits your barking up the wrong tree,ended up sleeping with me,they too could not act like friends, they played from day one, like it was dating.

I'm telling you some girls idea of just friends is in a different universe from guys being friends with other guys,and with guys,they don't size you up,you don't qualify,your just buds,and buds don't wine and dine the other and hold the car door for them,and text sweet things,their just friends,and I think this is why its so hard to be friends with ladies,many ladies don't know how to be a buddy.Besides if I have a friend that's a lady I always hope I'll sleep with her,nothing could possibly be further from my mind with a bud.

Try keeping that girl friend when the next serious lady comes along,I have never in 30 some years of dating seen a girlfriend of mine tolerate a lady friend,the insinuations are enough to drive you nuts,yet on the other hand I have never dated a lady that didn't have guy friends and I was to gladly accept them as that,in of course,I was fine with that though,just wish the ladies I had dated had been as secure as me .

As to the above reference that I always hope to sleep with a lady friend,that is if I'm available to do so,if I have a girlfriend then I am loyal and taken and think about just sleeping with her.
 whatever3321
Msg: 308
Posted: 6/14/2009 6:59:13 PM
There are several PUA that build a foundation for a relationship off of being friends first and it is good for the guy to establish this first. When a woman says "lets be friends" it destroys some guys but if the guy suggest it first then it changes the whole friendship. Being friends is a good way to get to know someone and makes things easier down the line if there is to be a relationship.

Ladder theory works for High School but its just a theory like evolution and creationism.
 KarmelKz
Msg: 309
Posted: 6/14/2009 10:27:11 PM
LMAO!!!!! (But it is true, LOL!)
 hottubguy
Msg: 310
Posted: 6/19/2009 12:44:21 PM
This pretty much sums it up. Plus it's hilarious. From The Onion...

But If We Started Dating It Would Ruin Our Friendship Where I Ask You To Do Things And You Do Them
BY KIMBERLY PRUITT

I really like you. I do. You're so nice, and sweet, and you listen to all my problems and respond with the appropriate compliments. But, well, I don't really see a relationship in our future. It would be terrible if we let sex destroy this great friendship we have where I get everything I want and you get nothing you want. Don't you think?

I knew you would understand. You always do.

We're so perfect as friends, you know? I can tell you anything, and you know you can always come to me anytime you need to hear me **** about work or how ugly I feel. You wouldn't want to ruin a friendship like that just so you could be my boyfriend, and have me look at you with desire and longing in my eyes, if only once—would you? Of course not. Well, if we started dating, it would only complicate this wonderful setup I've got going here.

It's just…you're like my best friend, and I would hate for something you desperately want to change that. I mean, sure, we could go on some dates, maybe mess around a little and finally validate the six years you've spent languishing in this platonic nightmare, but then what? How could we ever go back to the way we were, where I take advantage of your clear attraction to me so I can have someone at my beck and call? That part of our friendship means so much to me.

No. We are just destined to be really, really good friends who only hang out when I don't have a boyfriend, but still need male attention to boost my fragile and all-consuming ego.

Anything can happen once you bring romance in. Think about how awful my last relationship was at the end, remember? The guy I'd call you crying about at 3 a.m. because he wouldn't answer my texts? The guy I met at the birthday party you threw me? I had insanely passionate sex with him for four months and now we don't even talk anymore. God, I would die if something like that happened to us.

Plus, ick, can you even imagine getting naked in front of each other? I've known you so long, you're more like a brother that I've drunkenly made out with twice and never mentioned again. It'd be way too weird. And if we did, then whenever you'd come shopping with me, or go to one of my performances or charity events, or take me for ice cream when I've had a bad day at work, you'd be looking at me like, "I've seen her breasts." God, I can't think of anything more awkward that that.

Oh, before I forget, my mom says hi.

Anyway, you would totally hate me as your girlfriend. I'd be all needy and dramatic and slowly growing to love you. If I was your girlfriend, I would never be able to tell you all about the other ***hole guys I date and pretend I don't see how much it crushes you. Let's never lose that. That's what makes us us.

Don't worry. You're so funny and smart and amazing, any girl but me would be lucky to date you. You'll find someone, I know it. And when you do, I'll be right by your side to suddenly become all flirty and affectionate with you in front of her, until she grows jealous and won't believe it when you say we're just friends. But when she dumps you, that's just what we'll be.

Best friends. Friends forever.
 ManFromMesa
Msg: 311
Posted: 6/19/2009 5:02:53 PM
hottubguy oh my god that was funny,and actually for alot of people,very very true,incredibly true.I have known lots of guys in my life getting played like that .
 tazza_
Msg: 314
Posted: 6/20/2009 1:39:53 AM
Yep, been in this situation before too. I got the whole "you are my best friend" and "i miss hanging out with you". I'm sure for some, they can go back to "just friends" after one feels an attraction and the other doesn't. I wish i could, but when the feelings are there its really hard to just spend time together as friends. I have actually been yelled at for not spending time with a girl after this happened!!! I pointed out that i made time for her, i changed my plans to suit HER, i'm not about to do that now when she is off hitting another guy. I got accused of making her feel guilty, all i did was not change my plans to see her 4 times a week like we used to. I'm not about to suck it all up so she can feel all happy, i wasn't rude or abusive about it i just told it how it was, nothing more. She would get mad i'd try and say sorry but got shut down, now i wish i ended it months ago as i had an out. She said you are one of my best friends, would you want a full on relationship or nothing at all? i wish i said full on relationship as it would have ended there and then, saved me 2 months of heart ache and a crap load of txt messages!

With that said, i do have female friends that neither of us have any attraction and we get along great! its nice having a female point of view on subjects and they make for good company, i'd never give them up.

As soon as there is a one sided attraction i think the friendship is pretty well doomed. With the above situation, when she told me, i knew things would probably end badly, and ooh boy they sure did! and fast. She went from the sweetest person ever to a pit bull! OMG a side i never thought she had, it made walking away a little easier.

Some may call me immature, that's fine. Yes she did have qualities i liked as a friend, but also qualities i wanted in a partner. We got along so well, i thought we would have been great together, talked all the time, hung out a LOT, never argued, i liked her for her, ooh well her loss.

*end rant*
 Mr Bain
Msg: 317
Posted: 6/21/2009 12:46:41 AM
A woman will be happy to be friends with a guy who could be her man, but if she senses that he's absolutely lovesick and head over heels for her, I think she'll be more reluctant and just cut him loose.

And this is actually a rare instance in which women will genuinely take both theirs and the guy's best interests into account when making a decision. She will not waste his time, and nor will she endanger her own peace of mind by having a friend who is too crazy for her to want anything less than the highest. Everybody gets the best deal.

That truly is the exception.
 kristian04
Msg: 319
Posted: 6/21/2009 5:11:05 AM
Girls are not the only ones laying down the "just friends" card, it goes both ways.
It's just part of dating and how the dice roll. I have been put in the friend zone by guys I was interested in, and who thought they were initially attracted to me, on more then one occasion. It sucks when that happens with someone you really liked.
I have also been on the other end, and had to shoot down a couple great guys I just did not feel romantic toward or attracted too. In the end, lovers may come and go but a few of these people have remained in my life and over time had proven themselves to be wonderful and loyal friends that I would not trade for anything.
 whothehellknows
Msg: 322
Posted: 6/21/2009 7:31:39 AM
I don't mind being friends with women I have not dated or have strong romantic attractions towards. I can even be friends with former flames once some time has passed, but why even try to stay friends after dating?

It's like applying for a job, being declined, but then asked to hang out in the lobby and check out all the other people who are going to get a chance at the job you wanted. Every so often the lady will come out and rant about why that applicant isn't working out and how they are going to start the job search again. The person might get fired and the search goes on, but you will never be given the position. And in all likelihood it will just be you and other applicants hanging out in the lobby watching other candidates come in to apply for the job.

Screw that.

No attraction or romantic past, we can be good friends. But once we pass that line, friendship really isn't an option anymore.
 kpooks
Msg: 324
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2009 8:33:03 AM
To many women...talk IS sex. Maybe it's a control thing. If they can hold a guy's attention in a conversation, they feel they've already won.
 ManFromMesa
Msg: 325
Posted: 6/21/2009 9:01:14 AM
Face it,as friends we are far more comfortable being friends with someone of our own gender,there is no better ,special bond like your best friend and thats always someone of the same gender and sex isn't part of the equation,have no part in our thoughts.I don't think men stop thinking of the sex in a male female relationship or that woman totally relax to the role of a friend only,and face it,a lady calling up her best bud down on his luck for 3 months ,male friend and taking him out for drinks and shes paying repeatedly while hes getting on his feet,because come on,face it ,we all have done that a bunch with our same gender friends over the years of friendship.I have always found under that circumstance the friendship doesn't happen. My experience of different gender friendships is that the lady wants something similar to a "the guy usually pays" never the other way,sure maybe buy you a drink but take you out 12 times like we all have done with a same sex friend over the course of a long friendship,that would be one extraordinary lady friend,the mythical unicorn of ladies .
 stunt groom
Msg: 327
Posted: 6/21/2009 3:36:59 PM
Uh.. women make terrible friends..? ( here comes the mysogony patrol with their lable gun)...
 ManFromMesa
Msg: 328
Posted: 6/21/2009 3:57:37 PM

Men can be just friends if that is all a woman is offering. He might get upset becasue he didn't get what he wanted, but who cares? No man is OWED a woman's time, attention or body just because he wants it, which is a difficult concept for many males to understand.

Uh,thought we were talking about friendships.Your exactly the type lady that all of us men are talking about,the type of lady men can't be friends with.Some woman are cool,others like you can't separate relationship and friendship.Your given idea of friendship is actually ,the waiting room of qualifying to be worthy of a relationship and thats not friendship,thats making a pet perform.

Men that are friends never has a man live up to anything,your just friends,men never tell another man how lucky he is to be your friend,your just friends.Men don't have to tolerate what the other male friend is offering like there are levels,their just friends.

You could never effectively be a friend with a male,first off you would have to understand what a friend is,its not about owing anything,being lucky,or understanding your concept,do you pull this crap on your girlfriends,bet you don't,well ,maybe you do !

Bet you made some ladies mad that are trying to prove they can be friends with men,some can,there like your opposite !
 VivaciousVixen2010
Msg: 331
Posted: 6/24/2009 5:58:45 AM
the last man that i dated believes in friends but as rebound just said
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
just collecting as many friends fuchks as he could. i had a GIRLFRIEND
give him a drink on me. LITERALLY!!!! and for both us us, it tasted really
good- because the man is a DAWG!!!!!!!
the boozer can party it up friend collecting elsewhere.
I HATE LIARS!!!!
 ManFromMesa
Msg: 332
Posted: 6/24/2009 9:43:57 AM
Atonement2009 please clarify,if you were both friends then he could sleep with as many ladies as he felt like and as friends should of been able to give you details on his escapades and you give him details too,its what friends do......yet if you were in a category of dating or long term with him yet he believed he should be able to keep as many sleepable lady friends as possible and you didn't know that was his idea of blending friends with serious dating then thats different, and he was sooooo bad.It wasn't bad with all his friends just you whom was being deceived.

Which is it,hmmmmmm
 ManFromMesa
Msg: 335
Posted: 6/24/2009 10:47:00 AM

A man who is attracted cannot be buddies it is not the way of the beast..eventually if a man is proving his worth who has been involved intimately and is interested in aquiring a mate .. he will move along as no guy that wants his one is going to attract her if he is down at the left over's place all the time.. this is the reason most people on this site are having difficulty finding someone ... because they invest where there will never be an investment

I strongly disagree with the proving his worth part,men are not measuring up to no one unless maybe that line was for really young boys or young men who can't do anything without their crew,as with adult men we are soloists,we don't prove our worth,we just are.

I agree with most of what you said.Wish there was a clear way of knowing what lady wants "just friends" and which wants it all when stating just friends .If she really only wants friends then its investing time in something that will never happen for the man,and for the ladies that has an idea of what a good man friend is is a shoulder to cry on after a man at work berated her or after every guy she dates does her wrong then thats not the idea of friends according to men,usually we don't like do listen to the after effects of a lady dating a blatant bad boy or an obvious con that everyone warned her about or all us guys smelled him from ten miles away as an a s s hole,then we just think just how stupid are you,duhhhh,walk into a fire then you get burned,don't let that six pack he has or his restaurant he owns fool you,if anything that should give you a red flag warning.

We're not being your friend to take you out and cheer you up with a movie and dinner and maybe a drive to Sedona.Thats a date without the benefits ! ,we are not stupid,we get some of yours definition of a friend.

As for the ladies that mean serious, when they stated "friends only",its really confusing,they may state if a one night stand is what your looking for then go elsewhere,only then to ask if you would like to spend the night on your first date.

I imagine these traits are just as confusing as to how different men are,so its not just the ladies that pull this,say one thing,but mean another.

At school or workplaces I have maintained great friendships for years at those locations,we though,never strayed away from that,we never went out to pick up partners together,in several times of past I tried going out as friends to a dance place with a lady friend,out would come a slight jealousy,a sense of them being uneasy when you sit another lady at the table,a cold shoulder or an early" I'm heading home from them,then the coldness the next day or all week from them at work.All this from a lady that categorically refused to date you and told you in no uncertain terms never ,never ,never.Yet out comes attitude and feelings of betrayal while out for the night.

See with a guy friend out for the night,he would have only played the mr charming in front of your new lady,you might have had to tell him to tuck his tongue in,then you went home that night feeling you had a wonderful time out with your friend,you didn't end that night,as with your lady co-worker wondering if maybe you should buy your lady friend at work some flowers to reduce the attitude when you got to work the next day.

The only ones that will be bothered by this response are the ladies that are not like this and the vast others are saying ,hmmm,thats really true.of course its how you interpret things,one guy states the lady wants to always cry on your shoulder and be made to feel better and yet has little to say to you or have little involvement with you the other times,as if your only a human crutch....... where as a lady might interpret that as I am including you into my close circle and trust you so much that Iam sharing my most intimate feelings and you should feel honored.

Interpretation,funny thing isn't it.
 Vincent_1984
Msg: 337
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2009 12:35:19 PM
I can't really agree with the base statement as I have quite a few female friends myself. Personally, I really don't think it should be such an issue for anyone. I get along with them, I enjoy their company and even if there are times where I found them to be physically attractive, I have never had any issues controlling my own actions.

Good friends are hard to find and I see no valid reasons for me to limit myself to a circle of friends that is only of my own gender. The only inconvenience I have had with hanging out with female friends was that, in public, I have probably hurt my chances with actual potential prospects of the opposing sex when it looked as if I was hanging out with a girlfriend/wife, therefor looking unavailable.

In any case, I really don't think men are the uncontrollable sex fiends they are made out to be or that they should be considered unreliable or untrustworthy unless they prove themselves otherwise. Whether someone is single, dating or married; they should be able to enjoy spending time with the opposite without forcing unreciprocated attraction towards them.
 FloridaGal00
Msg: 339
Posted: 8/8/2009 12:19:01 PM
Guys are simple and easier to a degree...Some women just have more male friends
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 344
Posted: 8/8/2009 5:18:17 PM

Men can be just friends if that is all a woman is offering. He might get upset becasue he didn't get what he wanted, but who cares? No man is OWED a woman's time, attention or body just because he wants it, which is a difficult concept for many males to understand.

Yup, and men don't owe women anything either when she wants to use him as an emotional prop, which is what many women use their male 'friends' for.

Women love to talk about loving their male friends, but most of the time, it's a control issue and the whole relationship is controlled by the woman...

... of course, there are many stupid men who think this is a good thing....

Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 347
Posted: 8/8/2009 6:15:58 PM

Men play plenty of games where they give mixed messages to women they don't really want so that they string them along for the ego trip. Yes they do. Keeping those women as backup or just for the go strokes. It's easier than trying to get an ego boost from chasing women they can't get.

Women play plenty of games where they give mixed messages to men they don't really want so that they string them along for the ego trip. Yes they do. Keeping those men as backup or just for the ego strokes. It's easier than trying to get an ego boost from chasing men they can't get.

.... geez, someday, I'm pretty sure that the psycho-logists and psycho-iatrists will find that WOMEN, yes, WOMEN have egos too... AND...

... those egos are as big or bigger than men's...

... I know, it's difficult to believe, but I'm pretty fvckin' sure it's gonna be discovered, mark my words.....

CoolBreezez
Msg: 349
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2009 6:20:26 PM
Men and women can be friends- as long as they are honest with each other. But sorry ladies - sometimes this is lacking. Sometimes a guy is not honest with himself and is really trying to start a relationship. And sometimes women just lead them on and keep men on a hook, guys thinking things are going someplace when there not. If you think this isn't true, why does it keep coming up so often? Yes it could be the guys fault, but I've seen this in action where the girl just kept the carrot on the stick and keep a guy around for her convenience. This isn't a new thing, but its been discussed more in recent years- its good advice for guys to watch out for this behaviour just as women should watch for players advice comes up so often.

Read the story below- from the Onion- and written by a women. A funny and interesting read.

But If We Started Dating It Would Ruin Our Friendship Where I Ask You To Do Things And You Do Them
By Kimberly Pruitt
June 9, 2009 | Issue 45•24

I really like you. I do. You're so nice, and sweet, and you listen to all my problems and respond with the appropriate compliments. But, well, I don't really see a relationship in our future. It would be terrible if we let sex destroy this great friendship we have where I get everything I want and you get nothing you want. Don't you think?
I knew you would understand. You always do.
We're so perfect as friends, you know? I can tell you anything, and you know you can always come to me anytime you need to hear me **** about work or how ugly I feel. You wouldn't want to ruin a friendship like that just so you could be my boyfriend, and have me look at you with desire and longing in my eyes, if only once—would you? Of course not. Well, if we started dating, it would only complicate this wonderful setup I've got going here.
It's just…you're like my best friend, and I would hate for something you desperately want to change that. I mean, sure, we could go on some dates, maybe mess around a little and finally validate the six years you've spent languishing in this platonic nightmare, but then what? How could we ever go back to the way we were, where I take advantage of your clear attraction to me so I can have someone at my beck and call? That part of our friendship means so much to me.
No. We are just destined to be really, really good friends who only hang out when I don't have a boyfriend, but still need male attention to boost my fragile and all-consuming ego.
Anything can happen once you bring romance in. Think about how awful my last relationship was at the end, remember? The guy I'd call you crying about at 3 a.m. because he wouldn't answer my texts? The guy I met at the birthday party you threw me? I had insanely passionate sex with him for four months and now we don't even talk anymore. God, I would die if something like that happened to us.
Plus, ick, can you even imagine getting naked in front of each other? I've known you so long, you're more like a brother that I've drunkenly made out with twice and never mentioned again. It'd be way too weird. And if we did, then whenever you'd come shopping with me, or go to one of my performances or charity events, or take me for ice cream when I've had a bad day at work, you'd be looking at me like, "I've seen her breasts." God, I can't think of anything more awkward that that.
Anyway, you would totally hate me as your girlfriend. I'd be all needy and dramatic and slowly growing to love you. If I was your girlfriend, I would never be able to tell you all about the other ***hole guys I date and pretend I don't see how much it crushes you. Let's never lose that. That's what makes us us.
Don't worry. You're so funny and smart and amazing, any girl but me would be lucky to date you. You'll find someone, I know it. And when you do, I'll be right by your side to suddenly become all flirty and affectionate with you in front of her, until she grows jealous and won't believe it when you say we're just friends. But when she dumps you, that's just what we'll be.
Best friends. Friends forever.
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 350
Posted: 8/8/2009 7:07:03 PM

...You're so nice, and sweet, ...But, well, I don't really see a relationship in our future. It would be terrible if we let sex destroy this great friendship we have where I get everything I want and you get nothing you want. ...

...You wouldn't want to ruin a friendship like ...would you? Of course not. Well, if we started dating, it would only complicate this wonderful setup I've got going here.

It's just…you're like my best friend, and I would hate for something you desperately want to change that. I mean, sure, we could go on some dates, maybe mess around a little and finally validate the six years you've spent languishing in this platonic nightmare, but then what?
How could we ever go back to the way we were, where I take advantage of your clear attraction to me so I can have someone at my beck and call?

That part of our friendship means so much to me.
I had insanely passionate sex with him for four months and now we don't even talk anymore. God, I would die if something like that happened to us.
Plus, ick, can you even imagine getting naked in front of each other?
I've known you so long, you're more like a brother that I've drunkenly made out with twice and never mentioned again. It'd be way too weird. And if we did, then whenever you'd come shopping with me, or go to one of my performances or charity events, or take me for ice cream when I've had a bad day at work, you'd be looking at me like, "I've seen her breasts." God, I can't think of anything more awkward that that.

You're so funny and smart and amazing, any girl but me would be lucky to date you. You'll find someone, I know it.

That's fvcking hilarious. It is PERFECT for all of us idiots who thought we'd be 'friends' with women.

I did it. I used to be that 'nice guy'. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've been in every single conversation like the one above....

...uggh....:barfing dude:

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >