Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 elco1980
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Do you believe we landed on the moon?Page 4 of 32    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32)
Quote: "^^^Funny that, because on the video footage it looks real dark and shadowy, like dawn. Sufficiently dark to see brightly lit stars that are like a few miles above....as aposed to thousands of miles above when standing on earth! If you can see the stars thousands of miles from earth then can you immagine just how bright they burn? Now imagine being only a few mile from those stars, i don't see how you could fail to see them!!!"

ALl I have to say to this is OMG. You are kidding right? I thought even grade one children knew that the stars are trillions of miles away! I guess I was wrong and now I see that there is an adult that actually exists out there that thinks stars are just a few miles away. I am speechless! OMG!
 generlee
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Do you believe we landed on the moon?
Posted: 10/30/2007 10:23:48 AM
this one is for all the believers in the NASA "mission" How, pray tell, do you

film a moon-landing in a 350 degree microwave enviroment with Hasslebad

cameras and Kodak film while being burned alive by the gamma radiation?

and the answer my friends isn't just blowin in the wind--no one claims to

know where the original "films' are......and isn't that just like the government

we've all come to know and respect? someone stop me before I think again
 elco1980
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2007 10:54:46 AM
100% The moon landings took place. For those who don't believe it they are just very naive.
 prof48
Msg: 89
Posted: 10/30/2007 11:22:14 AM
If memory serves, there was a minor scandal in the late 80's when it was realized that we lost the designs, and could no longer build a Saturn V if we wanted to/

Not so. Complete designs are held at Kennedy Space Center and other archived sites. I've seen some of them. But, anyone familiar with the space program knows that design itself did not result in functional spacecraft. It also required ops (operations) and a body of hands on skills and manufacturing capacity, much of which has been lost since the last C-5 was constructed. It would take 5-10 years to redevelop those operational skills in order to successfully launch a moon mission.--emphasis on the term successfully. You might want to look at Ken Lipartito and Orville R. Butler's History of Kennedy Space Center (Florida, 2007) for a discussion of those operational skills.

There are currently three--if you include the US 4--national programs in place to return to the moon--China, India, Japan. So far the US has not implemented a budget requisite to beat the Chinese. You should also remember that on the eve of the launch of Apollo 11, 49% of the American public thought the moon race was not worth the money. Indeed had Kennedy not been assasinated the program would probably been cut back sooner as Kennedy was talking about initiating a cooperative program with the Russians at that time. Once we moved from space "race" to science, the moon program was no longer politically cost effective in light of other economic burdens. Hence the decision to reduce the number of planned missions and to eliminate subsequent deep space manned missions. If you look at budgets for the current moon and mars program it is unlikely that either will finish their "mission" in the time frame for which they are proposed. Why? Return on investment. It will take at least 100 years to turn the moon into a profitable venture. No politician is going to vote to invest billions into a program which will not be profitable during their political career, much less their lifetime. Profitable space programs will continue to be in near earth space for the next couple of generations and the extent to which moon based operations turn profitable more rapidly will most likely be dependent upon improvements in robotic operations rather than near term human missions. The moon race was more about the cold war than about getting to the moon. The cold war began its decline once Russia abandoned the moon race and developed superior near space operations technologies, some of which are now a part of the international space station system.
 fortran
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2007 8:33:48 AM
Shielding depends very much on what you are shielding from. Charged particle radiation interacts very strongly with matter, and so it takes little matter to do something with it. When the energy of the charged particle radiation is very high, as in the cosmic ray primaries, you often want to let them pass through as much as is possible, as interactions with matter (such as shielding) can generate more secondary radiation effects than were than would likely be produced by the primary to begin with. Uncharged radiation, such as photons and neutrons, has similar characteristics, but the details are different.

A wide ejection cone would imply that much of the ejected momentum gets canceled out as far as thrust goes, but does that wider cone lead to improved stability?
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 91
Posted: 11/2/2007 11:34:37 AM
No we did not I don,t think it was a ploy the Americans just wanted to get one up on the Russians, by now with all the other advances in technology we ought to be having cheap weekend packet holiday deals to the moon

So, using that same principle, the nuclear bombs developed in the 40's were hoaxes, too. I mean, why doesn't every family have 2.3 little nukes in their homes?
 prof48
Msg: 92
Posted: 11/2/2007 4:05:08 PM
I mean, why doesn't every family have 2.3 little nukes in their homes?

The predictions of the 1950s were that nuclear power would lead to free electricity. It did not. So I guess we should presume that it was a "hoax" using the reasoning of the conspiracy theorists.
Fact: In 1969 when we went to the moon 49% of all Americans argued it wasn't worth the cost. That number rose when the missions turned to scientific tasks and they compared costs to scientific and economic issues here on earth. We "chose" not to continue the moon missions because the return on investment could not compete with other investments after the Soviets decided not to compete in that area.

Recent programs to "return to the moon" have as much to do with potential competition from Asian countries as they do from inherent economic justification. Too put it bluntly investing in "cheap trips to the moon" couldn't compete with returns on investment in other scientific endeavors. They don't to this day, and there will not be a return to the moon in the near future unless driven by competition that may permit others to lay claim to the resources, as yet largely unknown, that may exist on the moon. Both China's and India's moon programs have more to do with rising "nationalism" than they do with economic investment.

There are basic costs involved in getting free of the earth's gravitational field that technological advancement does not change. While computer costs have plummeted, the cost for a space ready laptop has not. We don't need such laptops on earth so there is no reason to mass produce them. The increased costs do not come from an enhanced technology but from a different environment.

Sufficiently dark to see brightly lit stars that are like a few miles above....as aposed to thousands of miles above when standing on earth!

Um, the nearest star to the moon like the nearest star to the earth is 4.3 light years. Whoever thinks stars are a few miles above the moon, but thousands of miles away from earth doesn't have a clue about basic astronomy.
 flyguy51
Msg: 93
Posted: 11/5/2007 8:57:07 AM
^^^ Check out msg #26. It answers that question pretty darn well. And the US went to the moon in the 70's, too. Getting a rocket to the moon is more expensive than the rockets we have built since then. However, I think NASA is looking at going back to the moon. Stay tuned...

And a lot of things don't make sense on the surface that are, nonetheless, true and factual. I am really hoping that your sense of skepticism is powered more by your knowledge of a subject than by a lack thereof.
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 94
Posted: 11/5/2007 9:15:54 AM
RE msg 94: It's not that the money to do it isn't there - that's not exactly what's being said. As has already been stated, it's that the relative value of moon missions is low compared to other endeavors that said money could fund.
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2007 7:36:35 AM
Uh, the pocket electronic calculator had not been developed yet. The first appeared in the 70's. Much of the moon mission engineering was done using slide rules. The onboard computers were not as powerful as many pocket calculators. The original Apollo guidence computer weighed 70 pounds and used 55 watts. It began development in April 1961 at MIT.
Are you saying the limeys didn't try being first in reaching long range exploration goals? Note that the term limey came from the Brits supplying limes to the sailors to prevent scurvey from vitimin C deficit. This was because many sailors were "impressed" onbord ship for very long periods. "Impressed" effectively meaning taken as slaves and not allowed on shore becasue they would escape. I am not familiar with any American space program workers or crew forced to work against their will in support of long space voyages although the military draft might be considered such.
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2007 12:02:08 PM
It would seem it's more like a clock mechanism using gear ratios to model astronomical motion. Such a device would certainly be useful to help set spacecraft launch times but would be useless in calculating a spacecraft course and the necessary thrust corrections to keep it on tragectory. That requires calculating errors and corrective action, not previously analysed motion. I would guess the device could be used to predict tides at different ports of call and other solar/lunar cycles as that was very important to navigation in those days. Port entry times were probably done as a result of the data from the instrument. For open water navigation, latitude would be relatively easy to code in such a machine but would require something like a sextant. The issue of longitude requires a time measurement instrument of extreme accuracy and/or landmarks to calibrate a less accurate time device for shorter voyages. At most, such a device would be part of a calibrateble chronometer adequate for the Med but I doubt it. The concepts behind longitude and latitude go along with a round Earth, a concept that may also be unbelievable to the lunar landing denialists.
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2007 6:50:37 AM

It also amazes me how little is thought of religious and supernatural peoples opinions and thoughts to some of you on here...

Interesting to put this in a challenging question about the validity of the moon landings. Spirituality should not be asking questions as spirituality is about faith. Questions are for science. There is a spirituality to the pursuit of science in that we have faith that we can find answers. Many people fear the challenges of science and that can be described as being weak in faith.
 jakeStar68
Msg: 98
Posted: 11/17/2007 2:45:26 AM
all the moon landings were faked using outdoor recreations at Area 51 and indoor studios. Images were cropped and multiple light sources were used - this can be proven conclusively. in order for the billions in space funding to keep flowing.. we had to beat the russains.. but they knew they couldnt do it on National TV without blowing up some Astronauts, so they faked it till they made it!

however we HAVE been to the moon.. just not with technology that they are allowed to show us.. too revolutionary and threatens our fossil fuel infrastructure so they keep to to themselves.

learn more about this here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Happened_on_the_Moon
http://www.disclosureproject.org

Also the readers may be shocked to know, there was evidence taken from the Lunar Orbiter missions in which artificial structures were photographed on the 'dark side' the side we never see.. in 1964, before we ever went 'publicly'. Again, this is because the advanced technology needed is too revolutionary for public consumption.

More on that here:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/6583/bases074.html
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 99
Posted: 11/17/2007 4:20:28 AM
If we're going to have a 'Battle of the URLs', here are a couple to look at...

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/foxapollo.html

http://www.braeunig.us/space/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Moon_Landing_hoax_accusations

http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/News/2001/News-MoonLanding.asp

http://www.astronautix.com/articles/theghoax.htm

http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~jscotti/NOT_faked/
 shammgod
Msg: 100
Posted: 6/19/2008 11:32:46 AM

and they say there is no atmosphere on the moon yet the USA flag is waving around like there is a wind there.

At no point is the US flag waving. It is crumpled and stays in the same crumpled state in subsequent photos.

Not to mention there is a guy on Youtube that videotaped all his attempts to get all the astronauts to swear on the bible that they truly landed on the moon and they all got mad and won't do it. Suspicious never the less.

It's not suspicious that an astronaut would not want to be bothered by a crackpot.
 Vancer
Msg: 102
Posted: 6/20/2008 9:16:36 PM
Yeah, they landed on the moon. Woke me up to.
I was pissed.
It's why I came here to see how they like me dancing around and playing golf on their homeworld.
 BreeLand6DV8
Msg: 103
Posted: 6/21/2008 9:01:27 AM

Yet, Britain launched an unmanned space probe to the moon a mere 6 months ago to find out what it was made of....Hmmmm

Bravo!!!!! That is the most blatant, subliminal admission to one of the greatest lies ever bestowed upon the American public. Does our federal government really think we're that stupid?? I would like to know what objective that lie was ultimately to serve, and so forth.....

Great camera technician, though!!!!! And, I think set production may be nominated for an Oscar this year.....

Is the Phoenix Land Rover really on Mars??? Or just in a Universal Studio in Burbank, CA!!!!

Thank for listening!!!

xoxoxoBreeZ

Is too hot
Msg: 104
Posted: 6/21/2008 5:11:39 PM
I'm dumbstruck that there are people who think the moon landings were hoaxed. Just because they're too stupid to learn science, the rest of us are too? There's more evidence than badly-analyzed photographs. Perhaps they can explain the lunar laser reflectors?

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/ApolloLaser.html
 rconiv
Msg: 105
Posted: 6/22/2008 5:05:43 PM
Well in a couple years we can all watch it again when the shuttles are retired in 2010, and NASA switches to the Orion project (we are going backwards to Apollo), and starts making moon and mars shots in the next 10 to 20 years.
 ZeroSpazz
Msg: 106
Posted: 6/22/2008 8:02:13 PM
This is some funny stuff right here now, rotflmao....
I really enjoyed this one...

If memory serves, there was a minor scandal in the late 80's when it was realized that we lost the designs, and could no longer build a Saturn V if we wanted to.

Oh god, my side hurts....
Thats like saying they can't make ice cubes in Poland because they lost the recipe.
The only thing I want to know is if all you non-believes have your head under the same rock.
Oh god, LOL
Yea, we got 2 million people to lie, spent half a trillion dollars, all just so you all could sit up past your bedtime and watch a bad black and white image of Neal Armstrong desend a ladder and say his famous line. And yea, lol, the Russians are under our control along with everyone else, thats why no one has said anything. Shhhh, let the poor Americans have that one little lie, its okay.

Oh and by the way, we have pocket calculators because of the technology that went into Apollo, not the other way around...

You guys are a riot....
 ZeroSpazz
Msg: 107
Posted: 6/22/2008 8:07:03 PM
Why don't you all go down to Cape Kennedy, the Saturn five for Apollo 18 and 19 are still down there and on display. Oh, and the operating manuals for the lander and the command module are available on line for all to read....
 chrono1985
Msg: 110
Posted: 6/24/2008 6:38:03 AM
Publicity is why we never went back. The public didn't enjoy it after seeing how barren the surface was, regardless of the implications of traveling to another celestial body. If they could have held the public interest, we'd probably already have Moonbase Luna established.
 2findU
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2008 2:57:44 PM
Well, if you don't believe, its probably because all your rockets aren't firing.
 Is too hot
Msg: 113
Posted: 6/24/2008 11:17:51 PM

Or what about the claim that the earth is flat? Are there really any flat-earthers around today?

Yes. So sad. http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/

I myself, neither a sociologist nor a psychologist, believe that these people don't trust authority so they generalize their suspicion to everything they are told. I think they have good reason to question authority but you have to draw the line somewhere. You can't seriously doubt stuff for which solid evidence is so available.
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 114
Posted: 6/25/2008 1:53:18 AM
Of course the Earth is not flat. . .

But it is hollow.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >