Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ZeroSpazz
Msg: 141
Do you believe we landed on the moon?Page 5 of 32    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32)
To bad Kynes, you are in one, and I have seen all the evidence speaking against it. The problem here is the burden of proof is on you. So with your degree I am sure that won't be a problem for you to prove to all of us it didn't happen. Everything you have ever wanted to know about the Apollo missions is anywhere you want to find it. There is way to much detail on the missions for anyone to say it didn't happen.

Still waiting....

More over, I won't buy into it until it makes the evening news, along with the other lies your perpetuating such as 9/11 conspiracy you mentioned. Pile it right in with there was no holocaust, the Loch Ness monster, Ghosts and flying saucers, all of which I am sure you have an extensive library on.

Its people like you that spit on the graves of those that gave there life for this country that just make me sick.

So go ahead and show us that Newtonian math that says we can't make it 500 miles out.
 desertrhino
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Do you believe we landed on the moon?
Posted: 6/28/2008 4:43:52 PM

Rockets only use fuel to escape the atmosphere of earth. Momentum in space is achieved by orbiting the planet being exited and building momentum from the gravitational pull of that planet, and then taking a trajectory towards the moon. The space shuttle orbits the earth at about 18,000 MPH. As stated before, momentum is endless in space unless you run into something.

Umm... no. Try to stick to offering opinions on topics you actually understand. You've confused gravitational slingshot with escape velocity, transfer velocity, and simple friction (which is NON-ZERO even in deep space).

"Rockets" use fuel for almost everything. Attitude adjustment. Orbital transfer (going higher or lower, or changing the vector in the same basic orbit). Overcoming the eventual effects of friction. Really, it is EVERYthing. You even have to use fuel to drop out of your current orbit to return to the Earth.

Gravitational slingshot... well, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_assist For a Wiki, it's pretty good, and still readable by an educated lay person.

desertrhino
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2008 4:57:46 PM
Kynes, do you seriously think you're the only one who understands the math required for 2- or 3-body orbital dynamics?

Trot 'em out, friend... I'd love to see where you think it's all mathematically impossible.

Again, Wiki comes through with something relatively accessible to the mathematically-inclined lay person... surely a physics degree holder such as yourself (Especially with a MATHEMATICS (<--note spelling) minor) should be able to follow it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohmann_transfer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_spacecraft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity <==a little deeper in the math, but...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta-v_budget <==the final bit

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess maybe your separation from NASA was not.... "voluntary," shall we say?
 father3
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2008 10:22:40 PM

And I worked at NASA for 11 years and I do have a bachelors degree in Physics from Old Dominion University in Virginia (USA not Mexico ). My GPA was 3.6 and I also got a minor in MathMatics.

A bachelor's degree would be in science, as in BSc. You'd have to have a doctorate to have Physics attached to the degree. Also, any mathematician would know it's 'mathematics' not 'MathMatics'. But being Dr. Kynes, you knew that.

But that aside. . . .I truly believe everything else you've said.

I have a question perhaps you could answer for me. If I make my own tinfoil hat, will it work if I don't actually ground the hat to earth? Or can it work just as a "floating' absorber of government mindcontrol radiation? I wanna know because I think I would look pretty stupid walking around with a long wire hanging off of my tinfoil hat and it ends up it isn't necessary.

Last thing. How's the whether up your way?
 desertrhino
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2008 10:35:24 PM

A bachelor's degree would be in science, as in BSc. You'd have to have a doctorate to have Physics attached to the degree. Also, any mathematician would know it's 'mathematics' not 'MathMatics'. But being Dr. Kynes, you knew that.

Just in the interest of precision (and being a little picky), a whole sh!t-ton of universities offer a Bachelor of Arts in Physics (a B.A.). Yeah, a bunch also offer a Bachelor of Science, or B.S. I'm not sure exactly where you get the idea that you can't have a degree in Physics unless you've received your doctorate, except perhaps that PhD (Philosophiæ Doctor) and Physics both start with Ph.

That said, obviously our friend "Dr Kynes" (likely taken from the Dune character) is either completely nuts (in the clinical sense) or a lying sack of dog-turds. Note these are not mutually exclusive diagnoses. :)

(oh, and you do need that wire, and "weather" is the thing where you look out the window, "whether" is when you decide whether to look out to check the weather or not. )
 desertrhino
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2008 12:57:58 AM
I'm sure paranoia feels normal from the inside, but your opinion on the Apollo program and 9/11 at the very least are horribly at odds with reality. It doesn't destroy my world-view at all to read such things. *shrug* I just hate to see horse-hockey presented as truth go unchallenged. I'm sure it's a character flaw of some sort.

How's Arrakis this time of year, Doc?
 ZeroSpazz
Msg: 148
Posted: 6/29/2008 6:54:08 AM
Probably paranoid tendencies caused by bipolar disorder.
So Kynes, I have a choice, your pack of lies or my governments pack of lies.
My son, who was in high school at the time, sat down with me and watched the history channel special on the 9/11 conspiracy theory. The part came up where it was explained that the towers came down because of explosives planted in the building and showed the windows blowing out ahead of the floors above it falling down. My son turned to me of his own accord and said, “Dad, don’t they know it was the pressure of the floors above it that blew out the windows?”
I of course had to explain to him something in the order of what you are saying Mr. Kynes. It is difficult for some people to accept the truth, and to try and change their minds destroys their view of how they see the world. We see in your writings how you view the world Mr. Kynes and it is indeed disturbing. It smells of mental instability when you can take the facts and twist them into some nonsensical B.S. that has no point in reality.
The only thing you are doing here Mr. Kynes is presenting opinion, not facts and it is up to us that know better to point that out.
Your lies or my governments? I choose the facts and the truth...
 ZeroSpazz
Msg: 149
Posted: 6/29/2008 9:31:17 AM
Eye8one2, your entire post is a double negative, you are doing the very thing that you are telling others not to do. All of us know what that is called, but what this has to do with anything is anyones guess...
 desertrhino
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2008 10:49:47 AM
Dude, you say the same 12 or so things to every. single. post. in every. single. thread. with a very few changes tossed in to make it sort of fit.

You need help.
 Is too hot
Msg: 151
Posted: 6/29/2008 11:33:57 AM
And so in the year of our lord 2008 we find ourselves in the era of belief superceding fact.

I wouldn't despair. The people who believe nonsense are not the people we rely on for progress and problem-solving. It's nice to have these litmus tests to know who the wackos are so we can work around them. There are more sane people than crazies.

Also remember that Newton was an alchemist. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good.

Like Elvis C says: I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused.
 father3
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2008 11:51:38 AM
oh, and you do need that wire, and "weather" is the thing where you look out the window, "whether" is when you decide whether to look out to check the weather or not.

The question was for Dr. Kynes. . .

As far as men going into outer space.......that has been done and is still being done. But weather or not they got beyond 500 miles from earths surface.....that is highly debateable....You should research the topic in more detail and look at the science and the anomolies in the Moon Hoax. Enough Said.

You see, he brought up the 'weather'.

It's getting harder and harder to write satire these days. The pack is just too damned educated.

Bachelor of Arts in Physics (a B.A.). Yeah, a bunch also offer a Bachelor of Science, or B.S.

I've been out of the game far too long. In my day you could only get a BSc. Then again, I am not in the USA.
 desertrhino
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2008 12:00:23 PM

You see, he brought up the 'weather'.

It's getting harder and harder to write satire when these days. The pack is just too damned educated.

Ah, I missed that. In my defense, it was rather late... to the point of being early again. :)

Back to packing.... feh.
 father3
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2008 12:08:21 PM

It doesn't take a genious now (although maybe back in 1999-2000) you would be hard pressed to invision what is coming.

Genious's are a dime a dozen. True genius is much rarer, thus the different spellings.

Back in 1999/2000 the 'zany alternative' were more focused on the impending Y2K doom. One disaster at a time, that's what I always like to say.

WHAT are their intentions in the next coming months about Iran ?

I'd like this answered too.

The USA is right next door in Iraq and Afghanistan, would it be too much trouble to ask of you to swiftly invade this little cesspool of western envy and change the leadership? I just read in the news today that Iran has issued a warning to Israel that should they knock out their nuclear research facilities (as they did in Iraq before Dessert Storm) that Israel can expect a rain of missiles dumped down on their heads.

It's high time the United Nations stood for something and collectively disarm this mad little country. The vast majority of Iranians would support an invasion if it meant the end of the Ayotallah rule.
 ZeroSpazz
Msg: 155
Posted: 6/29/2008 1:04:55 PM
Way cool Father3, a foreigner that is asking us to kick ass somewhere, a little on the flip side of things I think. I do have to agree with you about Iran, but the problems were having politicaly with Irag and Afghanistan will probably make the next president kind of timid about such things. Then again there has been some success with North Korea as if late, who knows, maybe things will work out.

One disaster at a time, that's what I always like to say.

Great quote, made me chuckle....
 Jonny2Hands
Msg: 156
Posted: 6/30/2008 11:16:26 PM
Is this actually a serious topic?

Yes, we went to the moon.
No, 9/11 was not an inside job.
No, there's no such thing as the New World Order outside the minds of the deeply deluded.
No, there was no 2nd shooter in Dallas.
No, vaccines do not cause or contribute to autism in any way.
No, there's no fluoride in our drinking water.
Yes, David Icke and Alex Jones should be institutionalized.
No, I'm not an evil government plant trying to dissuade people from "The Truth" with a capital T.
 desertrhino
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2008 5:51:16 AM
Umm, there *is* fluoride in our drinking water.

http://www.fluorideinfo.org/
 Jonny2Hands
Msg: 158
Posted: 7/1/2008 10:25:24 PM
Sorry. You're right. There is fluoride in the water but I meant to say that it's not harmful. Thanks for the correction.
 desertrhino
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2008 10:30:20 PM
:) I live to serve.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 160
Posted: 7/2/2008 9:48:53 AM
Yes, yes, yes!!!!! We went to the moon! Damn Fox and that damn show they ran. I can't believe these many years on and there are still people who think there was anything to that load of s**t!

Anyone who doubts, go to Phil Plait's badastronomy.com website! Or just think about it and ask yourself which is the more likely - two million people got together to stage the biggest hoax of all time and no one has spoken out and that the Russians - competitors at the time - didn't call the U.S. on it? Or that two million people actually got together and got the job done?

Thank you Mr. Occam!
 ZeroSpazz
Msg: 161
Posted: 7/2/2008 10:38:00 AM
What show was that Stargazer? I remember some movie back in the 70's about something like that, seems like it had OJ Simpson in it and it was about a mission to mars that was simulated, was that the one? If theres another I would like to watch it...
Thanks...
 stargazer1000
Msg: 162
Posted: 7/2/2008 1:46:31 PM
Hey there zerospazz,

I'll let you follow this link: http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/foxapollo.html

Yeah, you're thinking of the movie Capricorn One.
 2findU
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 1:46:40 PM
ZeroSpazz: You're thinking of a movie called Capricorn One. No OJ in it. Telly Savalas, Elliot Gould and Sam Waterson were in it. The movie was entertaining but it wasn't suggesting that the lunar landing was a hoax. It was just entertainment. I saw it on TV some time last year too. Stargazer was referring to some show that was on Fox. Do like he said. Got to Badastronomy.com. Those Bozos that believe it was a hoax don't have all their rockets firing if you catch my drift.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 164
Posted: 7/2/2008 2:57:34 PM
Actually, 2, check out IMDB. It did have OJ. It also had James Brolin. And you're right about the others that were in it. It was actually a good movie. I liked it.
 ZeroSpazz
Msg: 165
Posted: 7/2/2008 6:31:27 PM
Thanks for the web site Stargazer, I do remember seeing that show now. One of the things I remember is that the nut-job in it was trying to show how the astronauts couldn't move their hands in the space suit by using a glove box for simulation. He pumped the glove box down to a vacuum, problem was the glove end was open to atmosphere. Atmospheric pressure is something like 15 psi, he didn't take into account the suits are only pressurized to 4 psi.

Forgive me, I'm an Apollo mission fan to the max, so I know stupid stuff like that. I even have the LEM manual and the DSKY computer simulation. My friends just wonder why, I just think its cool stuff
 sarsss
Msg: 166
Posted: 10/14/2008 7:32:54 PM
Following down comming from the article named "Did Man Really Walk On the Moon? "accessed from http://www.hknet.org.nz/MoonLandingHoax.htm gives some of the fakeness of the moon landing.

"*The shadows could only have been created with multiple light sources and, in particular, powerful spotlights. But the only light source on the Moon was the sun.
*The American flag and the words "United States" are always brightly lit, even when everything around is in shadow.
*Not one still picture matches the film footage, yet NASA claims both were shot at the same time.
*The pictures are so perfect, each one would have taken a slick advertising agency hours to put them together. But the astronauts managed it repeatedly.
*The cameras had no white meters or view ponders. So the astronauts achieved this feet without being able to see what they were doing.
*There film stock was unaffected by the intense peaks and powerful cosmic radiation on the Moon, conditions that should have made it useless. McGrath
*They managed to adjust their cameras, change film and swap filters in pressurized clubs. It should have been almost impossible to end their fingers. "

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >