Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Newfoundland  > Just a question...how do you feel about the word Newfie?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 noisy introvert
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Just a question...how do you feel about the word Newfie?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I read an article in the Downhomer about 4 years ago that the term newfie was brought to Newfoundland during the "friendly invasion" of American servicemen pre confederation. It was meant to denote someone who was uneducated and ignorant. I don't wish to trash Americans, but face it, most politically incorrect labels came from south of the border originally.

Why have we embraced such a negative term? And don't give me that hogwash that the meaning has changed, we have all heard those jokes. While every other cultural group is struggling for recognition and acceptance, there are those of us who choose not to celebrate our beautiful land and higher than average intelligence (more mensa members per capita than anywhere on the continent) by proclaiming themselves as newfies.

When I am in mainland Canada, I am a Newfoundlander first and foremost. When I am out of the country, I am a Newfoundlander first, and Canadian second. We export more raw material than any other province, we supply labour to the rest of Canada, and there is not a nook or cranny in this huge country that you will not find one of us providing some essential service, as well as friendliness and caring.

I've lived away, and it seems to me there are two views of us, either hard working great people, or newfies. And don't forget the seal hunt! When that has been brought up to me (especially when I lived in the Ottawa valley) my standard reply was "At least we don't kill Bambi." Quite often I would tell people I came from a land without raccons, groundhogs, deer, snakes, etc., and then they would assume I'm from Ireland. LOL The amount of ignorance concerning Newfoundland in mainland Canada never ceases to amaze me.

Recently I was at a convenience store in my community that I frequent on a regular basis. The owner of the store (recently moved here from Ontario and after this conversation I fail to understand why) made a very negative remark about newfies to me. I took her to task over what she had said, and she replied "I thought you had told me you're from Ontario." I told her "No, I had lived in Ontario for 7 years, but I'm from here." The fact that she felt comfortable criticizing Newfoundlanders to me because she thought I'm a mainlander spoke volumes to me.

Is there anyone who can justify calling themself a newfie, and put it in terms that aren't negative?
 noisy introvert
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Just a question...how do you feel about the word Newfie?
Posted: 7/25/2007 8:04:32 AM
THANK YOU chumley11....I was beginning to feel maybe I was being overly sensitive on this topic!
 noisy introvert
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2007 9:36:11 AM
No offense taken....I'm just curious how people feel about the word is all. Maybe the conditions under which I first heard that word has coloured how I feel about it. I wasn't very old, about 8 years old I think, and we were moving to New Brunswick for my father to finish his PhD (in Calculus, NO LESS!), and my parents had left my sisters and myself in the car to to go into a store in Nova Scotia. A couple of older boys were riding bike in the parking lot and began to circle our car, yelling "Stupid Newfie, go home and get a bath!" and like sentiments. I've lived away, and often run into such attitudes by seemingly normal people. I've had things like "Newfies may not be the brightest in the country, but they are real workers" (meant to be a compliment, I think) said to me. Perhaps I'm a bit sensitive, but I don't like being the laughing stock of Canada. Margaret Wente isn't the only mainlander who feels that way about us.
 Mosey_Burns
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/2/2007 7:48:54 AM
To me the word Newfie is, as EJ Pratt said, analogous to the word n*&&er. Its a put down wheather meant in a harmless way or an insulting one.

As for mainlanders being misinformed,they're ignorant about geography and history in general. Yes, its knowladge that won't get you a job as fast as being able to clean a toilet, but its essential if you want to have an informed opinion about anything that actually matters in this world, ex- politics and world affairs.
 noisy introvert
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2007 3:41:35 AM
Okay, newtoNFLD...how 'bout the term CFA (come from away)? I know that we Newfoundlanders can be a bit insular at times, but I really have to disagree about many of us being small-minded and/or miss-informed. Newfoundlanders are enthusiastic world travellers with the ability to adapt to other cultures - witness all of those working in Alberta, a culture radically different than their own, with the only similarities being the use of English and Canadian dollar - as well as the eager hand extended to those in need, no matter where the person is from, without question. The sinking of an American warship off St. Lawrence and those stranded here during 9/11 come to mind immediately. I realize I am a proud Newfoundlander, but I am in no way labouring under the misconception that we are better than any other group, HOWEVER I must state that I have seen less prejuidice here than anywhere else I've lived. I saw it in Toronto while I lived there, and especially in Perth (Ottawa valley) while I lived there, and I am not speaking of a bias against NLers, rather one against anyone of a different colour, culture or religion. I was 38 when I moved there, and had lived off-island for a good many years, but it still blew me away.
 noisy introvert
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2007 3:46:44 AM
Oh, and I was raised (as were most of my friends and all my family) NEVER to use a term such as Canuck, Yankee, Spic, Heb, and so on. I think the ingrained respect I have for other human beings is the reason I deplore that lack in some people I have met in my life.
 noisy introvert
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2007 7:29:05 AM
I bristle when I haven't shaved my legs for a few days!
 noisy introvert
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2007 8:14:09 PM
EXCELLENT, CINDY!
 want to travel
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2008 12:45:44 PM
some of the most amazing ,creative, hard working, and intelligent people I have met are from newfoundland, and they also have a unique humour, i have never hears one complain about the term newfie
 harmonyharvest
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/30/2008 7:11:40 PM
Newfie..I have met newfoundlanders whom are fine with the term, although I am sure there are ones who are not. I feel that no matter what someone is going to be offended or not offended no matter what we say or do...newfie is not a harsh word so I personally do not see what the big beef would be. Now a 'f---in Newfie I would find offensive and wrong.
 Tucker
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2008 6:28:06 PM
Personally ,im very proud of the fact that I am a Newfie and if someone wants to call me Newf or Newfie ,then Im ok with it .

Here in Nova Scotia ,the department of motor vehicles will not allow anymore personalized license plates with the term " newf " or newfie" in them .
They feel that it may be offensive to some ..

Truth be told ,it offends me ,its not a swear word and I dont find the term offensive at all ..

Im more offended by the self important weenies who are ruining the world we live in with this type of poiltically correct crap ,bullshit ,poo poo ,tripe ,etc ....

These are just the random thoughts of an always proud "Newf"

ps and a townie at that
 luvluvluvluv
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/19/2008 10:13:08 PM
I was a bayman at one point, but i think I'm a townie now... having lived here for twelve years since I was thirteen.
I don't mind the term "Newfie" at all, or "goofy newfie."
I like our province, its people, and black pudding.
And I always stick up for Newfoundland if I hear people trying to give it a bad name.

It's all about tone. If people are trying to be mean about calling you a newfie, then it can be a bad thing (though I still wouldn't be offended by the words)
Something I would take offense to, for example, would be "dumb newfie **stard."
 LabGrl
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/2/2009 10:02:35 PM
When people say im a Newfie I correct them by telling them I am a Labradorian, so many people I have met on the main land dont even know where Labrador is, they think it is Quebec. But in reality I am technically a Newfadorian, I am also proud of my Newfoundland roots and my Labrador connection to the land and where I was born and raised
 TommyBlueEyess
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2010 2:23:25 PM
I Loves Me Newfs! Can't get enough? Get a Newf! ;-)
 Cool_Magic
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/14/2011 7:58:53 AM
I always associated the term Newfie with someone super friendly. It seems as though people from New Foundland know something that others don't know when it comes to keeping yourself in a good mood and at peace.
 tryitonelasttime
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/14/2011 4:58:15 PM
it depends on how it is being used.....after living out west and hearing the term alot...I always knew what was implied by the term in the way it was used...but then I gave them back more than they had anticpiated and backed it up with useful( truthful knowledge )...usually the ones I found that made those statements were usually illerate or uneducated....I could use more colorful words but I think that most know what I am talking about.....ther funny thing is that most of the people were uneducated and lacked common sense....
 ~ Cndn Girl ~
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/24/2011 1:58:40 PM
I'm originally from BC, but live now in Alberta.

I was under the impression the term "Newfie" meant the person was from Newfoundland or Labrador... and there is no negativity associated with it.

I know I'm not the only person who thought this. So if someones says "Newfie" they may not mean it as an insult.

BTW... what do the Easterners call people from BC or Alberta??? I'm scared to know!!! LOL
 Corwyhn
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2011 4:46:41 PM
Hmmmm.... well I can't speak for everyone but for myself the term "newfie" is a positive one, also taking into account I am Torontonian. When I hear the term 'newfie" I am thinking about someone who is upfront with their emotions and real about things. And thse are traits I think are extremely positive.

I know I would consider myself lucky to meet a girl who was a "Newfie".
 Amanda-pooh-bear1993
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/20/2011 9:01:33 AM
I dont mind when someone calls me it because it makes me feel proud to know where im from and stuff depends on how the person says and puts the word then maybe id mind
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/25/2011 4:42:41 PM
I actually use the term warmly.

If I dont like someone, which is something that doesnt typically happen with newfies; I just call em an ***hole.

Have a good winter, n buckle down y'all. :)

P.s. Tell buddy, whatshisface and the other feller we're doin ok here in Ontario.

Show ALL Forums  > Newfoundland  > Just a question...how do you feel about the word Newfie?