Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Newfoundland  > Just a question...how do you feel about the word Newfie?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 luvluvluvluv
Msg: 12
Just a question...how do you feel about the word Newfie?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I was a bayman at one point, but i think I'm a townie now... having lived here for twelve years since I was thirteen.
I don't mind the term "Newfie" at all, or "goofy newfie."
I like our province, its people, and black pudding.
And I always stick up for Newfoundland if I hear people trying to give it a bad name.

It's all about tone. If people are trying to be mean about calling you a newfie, then it can be a bad thing (though I still wouldn't be offended by the words)
Something I would take offense to, for example, would be "dumb newfie **stard."
 LabGrl
Msg: 13
Just a question...how do you feel about the word Newfie?
Posted: 4/2/2009 10:02:35 PM
When people say im a Newfie I correct them by telling them I am a Labradorian, so many people I have met on the main land dont even know where Labrador is, they think it is Quebec. But in reality I am technically a Newfadorian, I am also proud of my Newfoundland roots and my Labrador connection to the land and where I was born and raised
 TommyBlueEyess
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2010 2:23:25 PM
I Loves Me Newfs! Can't get enough? Get a Newf! ;-)
 Cool_Magic
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/14/2011 7:58:53 AM
I always associated the term Newfie with someone super friendly. It seems as though people from New Foundland know something that others don't know when it comes to keeping yourself in a good mood and at peace.
 tryitonelasttime
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/14/2011 4:58:15 PM
it depends on how it is being used.....after living out west and hearing the term alot...I always knew what was implied by the term in the way it was used...but then I gave them back more than they had anticpiated and backed it up with useful( truthful knowledge )...usually the ones I found that made those statements were usually illerate or uneducated....I could use more colorful words but I think that most know what I am talking about.....ther funny thing is that most of the people were uneducated and lacked common sense....
 ~ Cndn Girl ~
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/24/2011 1:58:40 PM
I'm originally from BC, but live now in Alberta.

I was under the impression the term "Newfie" meant the person was from Newfoundland or Labrador... and there is no negativity associated with it.

I know I'm not the only person who thought this. So if someones says "Newfie" they may not mean it as an insult.

BTW... what do the Easterners call people from BC or Alberta??? I'm scared to know!!! LOL
 Corwyhn
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2011 4:46:41 PM
Hmmmm.... well I can't speak for everyone but for myself the term "newfie" is a positive one, also taking into account I am Torontonian. When I hear the term 'newfie" I am thinking about someone who is upfront with their emotions and real about things. And thse are traits I think are extremely positive.

I know I would consider myself lucky to meet a girl who was a "Newfie".
 Amanda-pooh-bear1993
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/20/2011 9:01:33 AM
I dont mind when someone calls me it because it makes me feel proud to know where im from and stuff depends on how the person says and puts the word then maybe id mind
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/25/2011 4:42:41 PM
I actually use the term warmly.

If I dont like someone, which is something that doesnt typically happen with newfies; I just call em an ***hole.

Have a good winter, n buckle down y'all. :)

P.s. Tell buddy, whatshisface and the other feller we're doin ok here in Ontario.

Show ALL Forums  > Newfoundland  > Just a question...how do you feel about the word Newfie?