Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 4
Best Popcorn Ever!Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
i kinda like kettle corn myself...a bit of salt and a bit of sugar...
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 13
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 7/27/2007 10:12:56 AM
anna nimmidy...catchy name...
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 23
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 8/13/2007 4:42:53 PM
comatoso...do you mean brewers yeast?...eww...that stuff is roooood...
nice to see you back posting btw...
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 11/12/2007 8:10:25 PM
..Funny thing you should say Orrvilles corn is better than Jiffy Pop...I grow corn for ConAgra...and they package both...but..you only get certain varieties in Orrville's...and others qualify for Jiffy Pop.....They do pop tests...on each load delivered to them...to determine the volume per 75 grams of seed...only the highest volume corns go into Orrville's...

..But after all that?..I prefer white corn..for it's finer, more tender texture....LOL....

..And as far as an oil for popping...A good canola is probably best...followed by vegetable oil....never olive or peanut....

..I think the best popper is the pan with a stirrer built into the lid...so you can crank away on it while popping...It mimics one of those Stir-Crazy electric poppers...but you will never wear it out...the automatic ones burn their motors out way too quickly...
 Naughtical
Msg: 29
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 11/12/2007 8:35:48 PM
I remember as a kid putting some oil in a big pot, pouring in the kernels and shaking the pot back and forth across the burner while holding the lid in place. If you got curious about the popcorn while it was popping away and wanted to look.....lifting that lid is something that you would never do twice. Ahhhhhh......life's lessons.
 Naughtical
Msg: 31
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 11/12/2007 8:46:03 PM
awwwww.......thanks Genrae.

Speaking of popcorn..........I have never made popcorn balls, sounds messy but fun. Maybe I'll use the popcorn I picked up off the floor, for starters.
 bcsquilter
Msg: 37
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 11/13/2007 10:45:30 AM
This recipe came from the cookbook "More With Less" that was a Mennonite cookbook of the early1970's. it's for a peanut-butter caramel corn , but if you gather the caramel corn together and press it into a ball and wrap each one as you go with saranwrap, it makes great popcorn balls and tastes just like crackerjacks!
Pop 2/3 cup popcorn- I use an airpopper so the corn is very plain. Put the popped corn in a huge steel bowl. Get out a wooden paddle. Measure 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup white granular sugar and 1/2 cup peanut butter into a stainless saucepan. Heat the ingredients together on the stove stirring all the while. The ingredients will come to a boil. Keep stirring. Then they will begin to scorch in the bottom of the pan. Stop. Remove the pan from the heat. Pour the caramel over the popcorn and work it thru the corn with the wooden paddle. don't touch it yet because it can burn you. When all the caramel is evenly distributed, then wait a moment or two, then with clean hands pess the popcorn together into rounded handfuls. Have the plastic wrap right there and wrap each one as you go. Put them into a big bowl. They look great and taste really great. try using chunky p-nut butter. that's really good too. Enjoy this . It's delicious. If you want to make more, just remember to use equal parts sugar, honey and P-nut butter.
bye now.........bcsquilter
 ~blue eyes~
Msg: 38
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 11/13/2007 10:56:34 AM
How come no one has said anything about putting Seasoned Salt on your popcorn yet?
You guys are all missing out. Mmmmmmmmmmm.
 Naughtical
Msg: 39
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 11/13/2007 11:12:15 AM
Seasoned salt...mmmmhhhhhh, sounds great......gonna try it.

Plays: don't know how popcorn balls stick together......I never made them. Gonna look it up now. Oh......thanks!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 8/24/2009 6:59:12 PM
my electric corn popper has only had Orville Redenbacker's popcorn kernels in it ... I was afraid oil would make a sticky mess so I never added it ... gotta watch it, tho, cuz it burns FAST!

you'all had some really good ideas on seasonings, tho ... I've never added seasonings other than a LITTLE salt! I wonder what Italian spices would be like?!
 texasbaby
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 8/30/2009 3:48:23 PM
I make this for my kids once in a while using a heavy non-stick pan on a burner, you just have to shake the heck out of it while popping, so the sugar won't burn. I tried it once with brown sugar,, nope,, bad idea... Dang was the pan a mess!
I wish I had one of the old poppers with the paddle thing, I love junk stores, but have never found one.

tb
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 8/30/2009 7:04:25 PM
Salmon...I use one of the Stir Crazy electric poppers that has the cup on top for butter. Don't bother using it to melt anything..I just take off the cover and let the steam escape the bowl. I can't quite tell you how much better popcorn is when it is stirred constantly while popping. I try every now and then to pop corn on the stove with all kinds of different pans..and none of them come out as good. If you don't want an electric popper to clutter up your cupboard, then you can still get one of those pans with the stirring device through the lid. There's a place called the Kidron Hardware in Kidron, Ohio that caters to the Amish, (and to quite a few "English" nowdays) that still sells them. I think you can Google Kidron Hardware and come up with a website and catalog.
 rtdancer
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 8/30/2009 11:39:20 PM
Have you tried popcorn with japanese seasoning and japanese crackers....pretty awesome.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 8/31/2009 5:40:43 AM
Salmon...I really do, along with the moisture in the popcorn...it has to be around 13.5 -14% moisture for the fullest volume. If you do get a popper like one of these, there was a popcorn thread a little while ago that recommended using an oil called Flavocol to make the corn taste virtually like movie theatre popcorn. I think that's what they use in the bar I frequent most often..and it works pretty good. They also put some of the salt in while making the popcorn, although I kind of like it added while I'm buttering it...

If you really don't like the husks and stuff sticking in your teeth, the best corn for you would be a white corn. It's much more delicate, although the popped kernals are much smaller. Volume in the popcorn comes from the violence that the kernal goes through when the pressure from the moisture in the kernal ruptures the seed coat...and that seed coat is what sticks in your teeth. The white corn is much more tender that way.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 8/31/2009 10:59:15 AM
<<< Can see the wheels turning in Salmon's head already...maybe an evening of comparing white vs. yellow popcorn and stove top vs. Stir Crazy corn....LOL. I'll send you some popcorn straight from the field that is specifically bred for Orrville Redenbacher brand corn. They sell it in most of their movie theatre bags. I like it..but still love white corn for it's tenderness.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 9/6/2009 1:15:13 PM
There are 2 major popcorn suppliers in the US, one is ConAgra (Redenbacher, Act II, Jiffy Pop, etc.) and Weaver Popcorn (Pop Secret, etc.). They probably account for over 80% of the popcorn consumed in the US...and they're constantly fighting each other for shelf space. I know ConAgra sells movie theatre popcorn, they have 50 lb. bags they sell them for their popping equipment. Alas..a lot of movie theatres no longer pop their own corn..they buy it already popped. I don't know who does that work for them..but it's more than likely they buy the popcorn from the big companies like CA and Weaver because it would probably be the most economical. As far as kernal size...Redenbacher claims to have the best expansion of any corn in the industry...and they keep track of it religiously. They only use certain varieties of corn to produce it, because they have shown to be consistently higher volume poppers. When I take a load of popcorn to the mill, they always pop a sample and measure how well it pops. It has to meet certain standards or it goes in lower quality popcorn. They do thousands of tests each year to find better varieties to improve the quality and yield of their product. I'm pretty sure you'll never find a kernal without some kind of crunchy center to it...but if you use the Stir Crazy...I'm positive you'll be amazed at how much better the quality of the pop is. The only other things that effect pop quality..are the size of the kernal, thickness of the seed coat, and the moisture of the kernal. There are a few companies (very few) that claim their corn is hand harvested and shelled so that there is no damage to the seed coat. They claim to be the highest quality corn on the market. I'm not so sure about that, because their budget for varietal selection wouldn't amount to a couple percent of what ConAgra spends. So if you find one of the Stir Crazy's..or one of the stirring pans (I think even the burner temp of your stove can make a huge difference in the pop, with the Stir Crazy..they've pretty well got it figured out) I'm thinking you'll enjoy popcorn again.
 BKKitty13
Msg: 62
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 9/8/2009 4:26:58 PM
Popcorn is def by far one of the most amazing foods ever. Its super yummy, super quick, and is def a low cal food. PLUS there are tons and tons of ways you can tweek your popcorn flavors. One of my favorite ways is to grab a packet of taco seasoning and sprinkle it on top of the popcorn. another good way is to shake some Parmesan cheese on top.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 12/8/2010 7:15:50 PM
great post ... needs to be re-posted every holiday season ... what are the winter holidays without popcorn?!!

I'm making popcorn tonight ... I'm PLANNING to try Texas Baby's Baked Caramel Corn ... when I find it ...

... that's an elf with a popcorn ball ...
 texasbaby
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 12/9/2010 4:00:48 AM
Mz Molly ~ Thought I'd repost the recipe again for you.

Baked Caramel Corn

3 quarts popped corn
1/2 cup butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 250
Place popped corn in a large buttered baking pan and place in oven to keep warm
In a large heavy sauce pan melt butter over low heat. Stir in sugar, salt and corn syrup and bring to boil stirring constantly. Then boil without stirring for 5 minutes, remove from heat and quickly stir in soda and vanilla. Remove corn from oven, pour syrup over corn mixing well. Return to oven and bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely. Break into pieces and store in a tightly covered container.

tb
 Apollodorus
Msg: 68
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 12/30/2010 10:37:10 PM
I may have to try that out one day.
 arwen52
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 1/2/2011 5:42:32 PM
I like plain popcorn popped in the microwave, buttered and salted. I have a special bowl made for popping popcorn in the microwave. Made by Nordicware, you can buy it at Target for about $10. No oil necessary, you just use regular popcorn. I melt butter and drizzle it over it, add a little salt, and that's my favorite.

BTW, Consumer Reports tried different popcorns and found the expensive "gourmet" popcorns did not pop as well as the store brand, which was a lot cheaper.

Flavocol to make the corn taste virtually like movie theatre popcorn

I worked briefly at a movie theater and can verify that's what they use. I have no idea where to buy it.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 70
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 1/3/2011 7:46:53 AM

BTW, Consumer Reports tried different popcorns and found the expensive "gourmet" popcorns did not pop as well as the store brand, which was a lot cheaper.

The only report I could find with respect to them was one where they tested microwave popcorn, which is not a good way to pop popcorn.

Flavocol to make the corn taste virtually like movie theatre popcorn

I worked briefly at a movie theater and can verify that's what they use. I have no idea where to buy it.

We have a wholesaler that sells to the public where I live that you can buy both the Oil and the seasonings.

Good popcorn, like any food needs to be made right.

If you want the lightest fluffiest popcorn and all the kernels to pop, slow heat is the key.

You want that water in the popcorn to slowly heat up before vaporizing and the longer you can prolong this process the better.

To start one get one of these Popcorn pot with agitator on a crank.
http://www.standardconcessionsupply.com/i/SCS%20Images/bg_stainless_steel_popper_victorio.jpg

Then:

I start by adding just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pot(I use Mariplex Theater Oil) and three unpopped kernels.

Set burner to med-high.

~30 seconds after last of the three has popped add, 1/3 cup of kernels, with pinch of kosher salt and pinch of seasoning. (key note, the seasoning goes in with the oil, not on popcorn after it is popped)

Start cranking slowing so the kernels roll around in the oil and do not pop from the heat of the pan. This ensures that the popcorn gets as hot as possible before popping.

Once the popcorn starts popping fast, reduce heat to low and keep turning slowly.

In about 40 seconds you will have a bowl full of popcorn and if you let did it right no more than 2 - 3 kernels not popped.

Once you has mastered that, then you can start by experimenting with different types of popcorn (butterfly & mushroom) and their many different flavors.
 arwen52
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 1/7/2011 7:15:36 PM
The article I read in Consumer Reports was a number of years ago. I don't recall at this point whether they used microwave or stove top.

Popcorn that has gotten too dry will not pop well. I keep it in the refrigerator in a mason jar and if it gets too old or isn't popping well, will sprinkle just a little water in the jar, shake it around, and let it sit for a few days.

I looked and found on the internet where you can buy Flavacol. The wholesale places may make you buy it by the case. There are some places on the internet where you can get individual packages. It didn't look expensive but the shipping probably costs as much as the product.

Might have to make some popcorn tonight.
 great61edition
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 2/3/2011 9:46:15 PM
A healthy, inexpensive and quick way to make popcorn...

1/4 C popcorn
2T olive or canola oil
put both (corn 1st) in paper lunch bag
fold top over a couple little folds
put in microwave and use popcorn setting!

season as you like it.... try tasting it 1st! It is pretty darn good!
Paper bag is more ecological than the regular microwave bags, the corn doesn't have to be the good stuff! Olive or canola oil is not bad for you!

Corn is a veggie!
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >