Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 texasbaby
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Best Popcorn Ever!Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Mz Molly ~ Thought I'd repost the recipe again for you.

Baked Caramel Corn

3 quarts popped corn
1/2 cup butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 250
Place popped corn in a large buttered baking pan and place in oven to keep warm
In a large heavy sauce pan melt butter over low heat. Stir in sugar, salt and corn syrup and bring to boil stirring constantly. Then boil without stirring for 5 minutes, remove from heat and quickly stir in soda and vanilla. Remove corn from oven, pour syrup over corn mixing well. Return to oven and bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely. Break into pieces and store in a tightly covered container.

tb
 Apollodorus
Msg: 68
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 12/30/2010 10:37:10 PM
I may have to try that out one day.
 arwen52
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 1/2/2011 5:42:32 PM
I like plain popcorn popped in the microwave, buttered and salted. I have a special bowl made for popping popcorn in the microwave. Made by Nordicware, you can buy it at Target for about $10. No oil necessary, you just use regular popcorn. I melt butter and drizzle it over it, add a little salt, and that's my favorite.

BTW, Consumer Reports tried different popcorns and found the expensive "gourmet" popcorns did not pop as well as the store brand, which was a lot cheaper.

Flavocol to make the corn taste virtually like movie theatre popcorn

I worked briefly at a movie theater and can verify that's what they use. I have no idea where to buy it.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 70
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 1/3/2011 7:46:53 AM

BTW, Consumer Reports tried different popcorns and found the expensive "gourmet" popcorns did not pop as well as the store brand, which was a lot cheaper.

The only report I could find with respect to them was one where they tested microwave popcorn, which is not a good way to pop popcorn.

Flavocol to make the corn taste virtually like movie theatre popcorn

I worked briefly at a movie theater and can verify that's what they use. I have no idea where to buy it.

We have a wholesaler that sells to the public where I live that you can buy both the Oil and the seasonings.

Good popcorn, like any food needs to be made right.

If you want the lightest fluffiest popcorn and all the kernels to pop, slow heat is the key.

You want that water in the popcorn to slowly heat up before vaporizing and the longer you can prolong this process the better.

To start one get one of these Popcorn pot with agitator on a crank.
http://www.standardconcessionsupply.com/i/SCS%20Images/bg_stainless_steel_popper_victorio.jpg

Then:

I start by adding just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pot(I use Mariplex Theater Oil) and three unpopped kernels.

Set burner to med-high.

~30 seconds after last of the three has popped add, 1/3 cup of kernels, with pinch of kosher salt and pinch of seasoning. (key note, the seasoning goes in with the oil, not on popcorn after it is popped)

Start cranking slowing so the kernels roll around in the oil and do not pop from the heat of the pan. This ensures that the popcorn gets as hot as possible before popping.

Once the popcorn starts popping fast, reduce heat to low and keep turning slowly.

In about 40 seconds you will have a bowl full of popcorn and if you let did it right no more than 2 - 3 kernels not popped.

Once you has mastered that, then you can start by experimenting with different types of popcorn (butterfly & mushroom) and their many different flavors.
 arwen52
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 1/7/2011 7:15:36 PM
The article I read in Consumer Reports was a number of years ago. I don't recall at this point whether they used microwave or stove top.

Popcorn that has gotten too dry will not pop well. I keep it in the refrigerator in a mason jar and if it gets too old or isn't popping well, will sprinkle just a little water in the jar, shake it around, and let it sit for a few days.

I looked and found on the internet where you can buy Flavacol. The wholesale places may make you buy it by the case. There are some places on the internet where you can get individual packages. It didn't look expensive but the shipping probably costs as much as the product.

Might have to make some popcorn tonight.
 great61edition
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Best Popcorn Ever!
Posted: 2/3/2011 9:46:15 PM
A healthy, inexpensive and quick way to make popcorn...

1/4 C popcorn
2T olive or canola oil
put both (corn 1st) in paper lunch bag
fold top over a couple little folds
put in microwave and use popcorn setting!

season as you like it.... try tasting it 1st! It is pretty darn good!
Paper bag is more ecological than the regular microwave bags, the corn doesn't have to be the good stuff! Olive or canola oil is not bad for you!

Corn is a veggie!
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >