Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Are you really what you portray in your profile?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 126
Are you really what you portray in your profile?Page 6 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Everyone I've ever met on a dating site, thus far... has been exactly what they said.
 BCExpat
Msg: 127
Are you really what you portray in your profile?
Posted: 8/13/2007 4:01:47 PM
The liars are liars, always will be.

The rest of us give a view of ourselves from our own perspective. It is not accurate as our own biases get in the way. That's what dating is about....calling someone on their BS and seeing if you can put up with it....
 dupioni2
Msg: 128
Posted: 8/13/2007 5:19:08 PM
Hi Dusty. I have met quite a few people and their pictures did not portray a true imagine. When I first started with the online dating so many of the men were married but posted "separated" on their profiles. I learned very quickly to start asking are you divorced or separated and living in the same house. But why post a picture that doesn't even look like you...that I don't understand...its rather sad.
 PrairieNihilist
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2007 4:06:47 AM
I am who I say I am. I'm a no bullsh*t person, and I'm not shy when it comes to conversation. If I don't like you, I'll tell you, but I generally get along quite well with people that I meet. People who have met me know this. Some don't like me, but there's not much I can do about it. All I can do, is be straight up with them, and try to get along. So far though, I've had pretty good encounters. I've enjoyed meeting the people that I have, and from what I can tell, the feeling is mutual. That's the only reason I can figure why they'd keep in touch and ask when we're gonna hang out again.
 dustyknight
Msg: 130
Posted: 8/15/2007 12:37:12 PM
as the OP..I read through each response..
Some were honest, some were flippant and some are just plain fact..
I do believe most profilers intend to be honest when compiling their profiles..
it's like one poster said..interpretation..you may see yourself differently than someone else may..the trick is not to sell yourself short or embelish the facts so they are no longer reality.
good luck to each of you and thanks for the responses..
dusty
 Limestone_Lady
Msg: 131
Posted: 8/15/2007 8:16:01 PM
I am really quite serious and reserved.

aside from the pillaging expeditions.

Or the moments I dress up odd on any day (except Halloween) and wander through town.

Or the odd time I jump out at people in graveyards from behind stones. (gotta stop that one..)

Maybe I am exactly like my profile. My hubby says I couldn't be better.
 Charon52
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2007 9:07:47 PM
I've been away for a couple of months, so I had to re-read (and edit) my own profile to see if it was still accurate... Well, it's almost accurate anyway. The Doc says I'm 5'11" not the 5'10" I put in there, but I do tend to slouch just a little. Weight is unfortunately the same- too much, pics are a year old (no beard) and 2 years old (beard), but I don't have a digital camera to get newer pics anyway... I have to wait for some friends to post some for me from the summer. Besides, other than now having the beard and slightly longer hair, I haven't gotten any better looking.

I am what I am - a fat curmudgeonly old fart with a slightly skewed view of the world - why lie about it?

/Charon
 Seckseaone
Msg: 133
Posted: 8/28/2007 8:46:04 AM
I agree 100%...Whats the point?
If they find you attractive on here...they will find you attractive when they meet you.
My profile captures me to a T..the pics are recent my description sums me up...although I am much more diverse......but again Why go in for the "LETDOWN"...it's not like they are going to meet you and fall in love with you because you got them there......they will fall for you because of what they saw and thought you were in the initial profile and pictures...because something attracted them to that in the first place!
Deceit will NEVER payoff!
Good Luck All!
Jeannie
 *~*Red Queen II*~*
Msg: 134
Posted: 8/28/2007 10:52:45 AM
Despite the way that some people choose to hide it, The Truth will eventually be discovered. Honesty in your profile shows that you are not afraid of sharing your True Self to others. However, a profile is only a small description of your characteristics. How a person behaves online may not be the same person offline.

Honest People will do thier best to describe themselves in thier profile. They have nothing to hide. When a person has an opportunity to meet them in person, Honest People are not afraid to be themselves in Real Life. Ideally, a description of an online profile should match exactly (or very close) to how a person is in Real Life.

However, this is the Real World. Nobody is absolutely perfect in every way.
We have our differences, preferences & behaviours. There will be times when feelings are hurt and situations don't turn out in they way we may have expected or hoped for. This is when The Truth can hurt.

However, if we are honest with ourselves & are not afraid to face Reality, we can recognize the lesson & we are grateful that we have learned from it.
 Gonzo4OSU
Msg: 135
Posted: 9/5/2007 2:41:09 PM
I'd like to think after everything is said and done I'm like I describe myself, I do sometimes miss the smoking thing on women's profiles, then I feel bad when I duck out. I have been called on it a few times, so at least I know they are checking me.
I truly want to make someone happy again, I just won't compromise myself for it ever again.
What people need to do is run short checks on people-make sure they are divorced, check their court records. Women cheat today more than men, especially on the internet.
 designingwoman
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2007 6:06:59 PM
As the geeks like to say, WYSIWG!!
 PrairieNihilist
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2007 6:37:10 PM
I think that I am. I'm willing to admit that I have flaws, and that I have hang-ups, and quite frankly, it's of no consequence to me if people don't like me, as I already have plenty of people who do like me. I'm a very straightforward person, and I pride myself on being honest. As many of you have no doubt figured out, I'm not afraid to tell you that you're a douche, when you get on my nerves. I also enjoy intelligent conversation, and the occasional debate, but quite frankly, I've yet to have either on here, because people, are more concerned with being right, attacking, and belittling others, than exchanging ideas, and knowledge, and having non-personal debates. When you make a debate personal, it is my belief that you've automatically lost the debate. I have no respect for people who twist the words of others, and then try to attack them with them. So yeah, there's that blunt part. Not naming names, because the site doesn't allow it, but they know who they are, and you likely do as well. There's that blunt part of me coming out.
 cadtech79
Msg: 138
Posted: 9/7/2007 12:53:49 PM
I have never figured out why people lie in their profiles. If the goal is to meet someone, don't they think sometime you will catch on whatever it is they're lieing about?
 HRWild
Msg: 139
Posted: 9/10/2007 1:36:40 AM
Okay, so I lied about absolutely everything. Even my pictures were really just cut out from a magazine...just ask anyone on this site that I might have met.
 camancheman
Msg: 140
Posted: 9/13/2007 9:10:52 PM
I have come to the conclusion that lying of one's self only comes out in the future. The truth is the only way to go. And it is a responsible and mature thing to do for the others that read your profile. I don't think I would like to read something like "Tender, kind hearted, loving" whatever, then go to meet that person and find she is in NO WAY any of those things. I post I have children that live with me, knowing all well that may sacrifice me availability to some. Also that I am balding, which does ditto. I figure truth is what it is, take it or leave it.
 CurvesssDaytona
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2007 12:57:06 PM
I have always been honest with who and what I am. Being a full figured woman it is very important to me that I protray myself honestly only becuase I am an acquired taste like champagne and caviar (wink). I had one person tell me that my two sets of pics on my prrofile didnt look like each other. They are all me and I dont think anyone can be 100% like their pictures. But the pics should a least give the other person a general idea. I agree that lying in your profile about yourself is terrible and that you will only be found out in the end. Let the other person decide if you are right for them by being honest because when you lie you take their choice away from them.
 QuietArtist
Msg: 142
Posted: 9/14/2007 5:07:33 PM
I am what I am. I may be funnier in person. I listen very intensely to a person. Been told I look 35 instead of 45.. Yep, I have curves, but it's just enough to feel good! I do tell the truth. That's just me.
 Ideoform
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2007 8:36:50 AM
I am what I say I am, but not everything is on my profile.

If my "tell-all" life story would help you with deciding whether to meet me for a coffee for an hour, then I think I have to get busy writing my autobiography. I've led an interesting life, so it would be a good read. But I want to get published, so it won't be for free.
 Schadenfreudian
Msg: 144
Posted: 10/5/2007 8:52:56 AM
I had to dumb down my profile. I'm a lot more quixotic, perspicacious, ironic, oxymoronic and pensive than I portray.
 NatGoat
Msg: 145
Posted: 10/5/2007 9:16:07 AM
If I lied in my Profile, I would be embarassed to Meet anyone in person . .
Every time I update or totally Edit it . . I make it as accurate and interesting as I can . . !!
- A Dull Profile portrays a Dull Person . . !!! -
 Quietly Alpha
Msg: 146
Posted: 10/5/2007 9:28:17 AM
Interesting thread, but it occurs to me to wonder if someone who fibs or misrepresents thtemselves in their profile is going to be honest here. Would a dishonest person say - honestly- in this thread that 'no, I'm not really like I say and all my photos are grossly out of date?'

Just wondering....
 *NauticalStar*
Msg: 147
Posted: 10/5/2007 7:14:36 PM
Yes I am, and I would never try and make myself out to be someone else. See, I believe in being honest because I want guys who email me to be honest with me(that's asking a lot though...) It really ticks me off when I meet guys online who say one thing in their profile and then act differently when I chat with them or meet them. I've even had guys use pictures that didn't properly represent them, and that was really annoying. I mean it's the internet right, people can get away with putting anything they want in their profile. Although those people will probably find it hard to meet people.
 Padawan61
Msg: 148
Posted: 10/5/2007 8:00:31 PM
I'm really a 2ft3 inch gnome-man, w/ a 3rd eye in the middle of my forehead. I don't live in NY, I live under a Bridge in Jersey. My voice is raspy & all 3 of my eyes are crossed. I'm not even a blonde either. I bite my toenails & spit them out at people who piss me off...I don't have sex on the 1st date, I smell like ripe Limberger cheese...

BUT I have a great personality

Am I really what I portray in my profile?? Yes, I really am a Superpowered Canine flying around in an ill-fitting costume saving the world from it's follies. To finance my mission of world savior, I shoeshine for the office workers in the city. I am collecting all the Krytonite I can find so I can knock Superman from his high horses of revered superhero status.
 *champrins*
Msg: 149
Posted: 10/5/2007 9:07:02 PM
Yes

But its a double edged sword

Some people read and then pretend to be the same or restructure themselves to look like they fit the bill. What a waste of time.

The best profile I had was just sharing some of my own thoughts....and seeing if they had any of their own?

But ya ya oh boy, are there ever some here that are nothing (and I mean NOTHING) like their profiles. You can hide really well behind a screen eh.....
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2007 10:05:51 PM
The profile is a tidbit...a kind of weird summation. I don't really know if it portrays me as I look to others, only that what I put in it is honest. Pics too... I think they are okay but pics have always kind of freaked me out, maybe because I don't feel I am photogenic? Maybe because they are frozen, it's kind of strange really.

I don't think a profile is more than a peek really.. at least I sure hope not. There is a whole lot more to me than I was able or even willing to put in a profile.

If the question is about honesty though..yes, I am honest to a fault.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Are you really what you portray in your profile?