Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Washington  > Ok, how serious of a drug problem is marijuana???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bourneid415
Msg: 251
view profile
History
Ok, how serious of a drug problem is marijuana???Page 11 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
What kills me are the people that demonize other drugs like cocaine but smoke weed and act like they don't do drugs. Look people, they are all bad for you. Alcohol, Marijuana, Cocaine, Pain Killers, Nicotine, etc. It's not what you do but how you do it. It's not the substance that is ultimately a problem but the person using the substance. Anything can be addictive to a person with a propensity for addiction. Food is an addiction for people with weight problems. Just look at the obesity epidemic we have in this country! Tobacco smoke is responsible for more deaths per year than all illegal drugs combined. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same for alcohol. But those things are socially acceptable because the government has us brainwashed into believing that they are the moral authority on what's right and what's wrong. People need to start thinking with their own brains and stop being sheep. I've done drugs recreationally and been absolutely fine. I didn't become a pothead or automatically get addicted and want to go sell my TV after a few lines of coke. But if I tell someone that they automatically deem me as an evil person. Yet, you have people popping prescription medications every day which are way more powerful than anything you can get on the street and those people aren't frowned upon. What's wrong with that picture?!
 Kimpossible37
Msg: 252
Ok, how serious of a drug problem is marijuana???
Posted: 11/20/2011 12:46:20 PM
only if your selling...personal possession/consumption...doesn't get a persons home and children taken... distribution...is where your in BIG TROUBLE
 simplynew321
Msg: 253
Posted: 2/5/2012 11:31:40 PM
I have read many posts here on this topic but none seem to address the question with relevance to where we are. We are on a dating site, a "relationship" site. I would like to attest to the affects marijuana has on a relationship. If you are the one not smoking the marijuana expect the following: The joke I find that an argument is made by someone who is stoned that it is social....the only thing social about it is that you crouch together with someone hiding in a room and you need someone to make you feel stoned with as if you need an accomplice. Social my ass...I think everyone that does not smoke pot can attest to the high level of being and feeling totally ignored by your mate.
1-sleepless nights of them on the couch alone
2- memory loss of long term and short term...and the amazing thing I found out about many marijuana users is that because of this loss they make things up...like if they forget to flush the toilet...they then walk in and see it is not flushed ...to cover up their memory loss they blame their partner.
3-How about coming home from work and there on the couch is your mate and a buddy smoking together, when they called you earlier saying they were going to go out (meaning at least get off the couch ALLL DAY!)
4- the vacant stare you get from someone who is stoned is hardly social and I guess that is the point...it is an anti-social drug...creates no sex drive, no memory of events or any recall of what is said and done.
5-Mind numbing is the operative word.
6-Pot smokers always want to compare themselves to other drugs...well WE in this thread are talking about POT...the title of the thread is not how does marijuana compare to other drugs...(so if anyone replies to this post..NO comparative arguments)
7- As psychotic affects POT has on an individual. I have personally seen all these affects in real life with a long term drug user I dated for over 2 years (I had to walk away and it tore my heart out,,in fact still love her to this day but the drug makes her a far different person)

and finally a link to a video made in Canada by a renowned scientist and naturalist David Suzuki on pot and the present day research (like crap it does not at least add and help develop schizophrenia and other brain disfunction) just watch and thank you for letting me get up on my soap box and banter for this period of time.
http://www.stickam.com/viewMedia.do?mId=187427198
or google nature of things downside of a high
 KellyMae00100
Msg: 254
Posted: 2/13/2012 10:56:11 PM
I smoke weed. Not chronically, but I do use it recreationally. It's not a problem, to me it is a solution. It helps me with my migraines, it helps me sleep when I can't on my own, it helps my joint and back pain and has no side effects like the things that I've been prescribed by my doctors. I'm allergic to alot of the things I'm prescribed anyway and spend hours puking my guts out. I think it depends on the individual smoker. Are they immature? Can they hold a job? Do they put getting weed ahead of other things in life? You have too look at the individual, not the plant on this one.
 Jelly_Man
Msg: 255
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 4:30:39 PM
Umm absolutely WRONG on everything you just said.

Memory loss? Only mild, and only for what happen while you are under the influence. Ive been smoking for 12 years(I'm now 30), and I can tell you memories I've retained from at least 27 years ago.

As for schizophrenia ? Pot does NOT cause it. It may trigger it in some one who is already predisposed to the condition, but I won't magically make some one schitzo. They have to already carry the condition.

Pot very much is a social drug. I don't have to smoke with any one, but if I do, I am usually talkative, and in a n up beat mood.

I have a feeling you need to do some legitimate research. I have never seen such a list of blatantly fabricated untruths about marijuana since I saw some one post a link to a religious site.

Ignorance amongst the masses.
 Jelly_Man
Msg: 256
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 4:32:04 PM
Above was in regards to "simplynew".
 PinkFireOpal
Msg: 257
Posted: 5/13/2012 2:34:16 PM
I think you scared simplynew, they took a hike
 Womac911
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2012 12:35:11 PM

Umm absolutely WRONG on everything you just said.

Memory loss? Only mild, and only for what happen while you are under the influence. Ive been smoking for 12 years(I'm now 30), and I can tell you memories I've retained from at least 27 years ago.

Ignorance amongst the masses

Jelly, sorry about this, but I have to be in "mostly agreement" with the above comments that Simplynew made.

I was in a relationship for a couple years with a girl who was a smoker. I would consider her a heavy smoker, having smoked regularly since she was 12, and being 40 now. It was more or less on a daily basis.

The memory loss and inability to input new data was insane. Comments or questions would often be repeated several times a day with no recollection of having asked earlier. School and learning were "dumb" and she cheated her way through high school, she'd once said.
The effects on personality and intelligence were very apparent. Extreme, instant hostility, ignorance, outright refusal to learn anything new, social anxiety, loss of motivation, loss of interest in anything beyond job, food, tv, shopping. Uninterested in any conversation. Everything except smoking was "boring"
When she was smoking, it was like I didn't exist. The blank, empty void seemed to be unaware that I was present, uninterested in me as a person, and unwilling to engage me. While not smoking, she was aware of my presence, but generally the other dis-interests persisted. And she was generally irritated that she could not get stoned when she had none.

She has custody of her nephew. When we met, he wasn't a smoker, He became one, and she encouraged it. At the beginning, he got very good grades in school, but did suffer from depression. Now, he may not graduate high school, and has developed very similar symptoms, and his depression has worsened by tenfold.

All the classic personality signs were there. I know it may not mean a whole lot, but once she took an on-line personality disorder test from HumanMetrics (maybe?) and scored high on all counts (paranoia, etc). I took the test, and scored low on all counts. We both took the test also acting as "each other" and while I scored her the same as she scored herself, she scored me as high on all counts. This means I saw her as she saw herself, but she saw me as she saw herself, as well.

It was an experience I don't wish to repeat, and I won't be involved with a smoker again.
 SmilingRai
Msg: 259
Posted: 5/17/2012 12:49:13 AM
I don't care what people do on their free time as long as they don't do it at work or in a situation where others can get hurt from their impaired judgement and slowed reactions. It's just like alcohol and smoking but for some reason, pot smokers get really butt hurt and feel the need to be defensive at every turn when people disagree with it. At any rate, I don't believe it's something that is a deciding factor for friends but since I want to be in the medical field, I could get randomly tested, so I would only date someone who doesn't do it either. Then again, even if it became legal, I wouldn't do it or date someone ever again who did it because I abhor the smell and have no patience for the slowed responses.
 DorkDude23
Msg: 260
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2012 1:48:55 AM
As an "adult" with Asperger's Syndrome, i'd say pot makes me a bit more social, or at least more tolerant to things that normally cause anxiety and stress. I still recognize the intoxicating effects and know better than to do "important" stuff high. Though, I use regularly in both recreational and medicinal ways. I also have Ulcerative Colitis and it does WONDERS from the stomach pain. It also is a miracle worker when it comes to sleep problems. I can guarantee to be asleep in less than an hour with a bowl and Coast to Coast AM.

Despite the negative effects of smoking anything, it seems marijuana has much better medicinal properties compared to side-effect ridden prescription meds and whatnot.

Marijuana is simple a case of useful or not useful. Which one depends on the person. I also must say, though, that I highly dislike people that blindly judge marijuana users for silly or uninformed reasons. Maybe it's the Aspie in me, but I just cannot stand any holier than thou "it's illegal" or it "makes you stupid" arguments. Few drugs MAKE you do anything, they just give you the ability to do many things and have varying effects. As an (supposed) intelligent person it's your job to find out what those are and if they are beneficial to you. What YOU do with them is on you.....unless it's like, heroin, crack or meth....then it's the drug. lol

I also hate the "we're protecting the kids" people. Maybe kids get their hands on pot because of scummy drug dealers...who sell the weed because people want it and it's illegal. Legalization would not only take care of that problem, but put a huge dent in all of these drug cartels and scummy street dealers that are apparently selling pot to children..

Of course for some people smoking too much pot can be bad, but they are the ones who are supposed to recognize that. Pot is not physically addictive or even addictive in the normal sense of the word. It's only addicting to some because it's awesome and they are weak. The kind that get addicted to caffein or sugar to the point of getting diabetes or fatter than a whale.

Personally I have a vast hatred of many "hard" drugs(a few listed above), but also consider natural drugs in a completely different light than these manufactured products. Hallucinogenics are one of my favorite kinds of mind altering substances...especially due to the spiritual and personal revelations it can help with. There is a reason so many of the greatest early civilizations used some form of hallucinogenic or drug like marijuana for various important purposes over so much of our history on this planet. One day soon all this pot hating will be gone and things will be better. Just like it will(and is) getting better for us. And for the gays. and races. One of these days we will grow up more as a species, out of this whiney intolerant **** phase. Well, unless we blow ourselves up or unleash a zombie apocalypse first.
 crazyjojo50
Msg: 261
Posted: 7/4/2012 11:48:39 AM
how bout them stinkin ass cigars??
 DorkDude23
Msg: 262
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2012 6:26:47 PM
Cigars? George Carlin said it best. Fat white "business" men sucking on a big brown****
 AHSfan
Msg: 263
Posted: 7/13/2012 1:11:25 AM
I smell pot on people where I work at times and it doesn't gross me out as much as cigarette smoke
 Miss_DB7
Msg: 264
Posted: 8/13/2012 2:25:44 PM
I smoke daily. I have a great job, new car, live on my own and I pay my own bills. I take care of myself and my children without a man, and without welfare. On top of all that, I am in school. Can you say I am unmotivated because I smoke daily? I dont think so. It really depends on the reason for use, and the person.

I smoke daily for medical reasons. I believe that it should be legalized just the same as alcohol.
 LoveMyDog55
Msg: 265
Posted: 8/13/2012 3:10:08 PM
I would like to try pot to see if it helped with pain ~ if it did I would encourage my mom to smoke it as well
 Miss_DB7
Msg: 266
Posted: 8/14/2012 10:19:18 AM
It helps tremendously with pain. Several people I know smoke for pain relief. It is something everyone with chronic pain should look into. There are no side effects like prescription pain pills.
 MR.Singularity
Msg: 267
Posted: 8/14/2012 6:52:17 PM

I would like to try pot to see if it helped with pain ~ if it did I would encourage my mom to smoke it as well
Not sure what kind of pain you're talking about but take a look at this guys video blogs and if you find them interesting he has books to read as well. He's all about finding the REAL cause of medical problems. He has a ton of small video clips but his earlier stuff can be up to 8 min long and more detailed , use the search function to narrow down what you're looking for but all of it is good info. http://www.youtube.com/user/ultrawellness
 LoveMyDog55
Msg: 268
Posted: 8/14/2012 7:35:58 PM
Thank you for the link

My mom and I both have ruptured discs, spinal stenosis and arthritis

My mom's pain is more severe because she's had a couple back surgeries
 clumsylikesparky
Msg: 269
Posted: 8/15/2012 9:24:14 AM
I work in EMS so experience with drug abuse seen lots. Typically the people I see end up with big IV stuck in them arm or neck and endotracheal tube down their throats. The issue really is a person's ability to control and be responsible. There are several people that are responsible adults and smoke, do drugs or drink alcohol, apparently some of the people claim to be in that boat, that is fine and dandy but the fact is that the majority of society can't handle or manage psychoactive substances. Yep drugs albeit alcohol, pot or narcotics are psychoactive and to claim there is no functional or psychological deficit is completely illegitimate. It is impossible to not be impaired to degrees from being intoxicated (drugs or alcohol). Repeated published research has been done countless times to evaluate this as well as effects that exacerbate and predispose people with genetic traits to certain psychological conditions.

Also any drug use typically is an issue of co-dependance and self-medication rather than "I want to get high". People say they do it for "recreational" use to feel good but really people are either stressed, depressed, have pain or even psychological problems that physicians haven't handled or the person is in denial of having a problem in the first place. People use it to escape their reality. Abuse and "safe" use is completely subjective in some people's mind who in my opinion are reckless and arrogant.

As far as relationships go really it is similar to any other issue i.e politics, religion, etc...But God forbid that two parents struggle with addiction or substance abuse problems and it affects the kids, unfortunately I see it way too often
 TeeToTheEyeToTheEm
Msg: 270
Posted: 8/18/2012 2:05:06 AM
I currently do not smoke pot, but there was a point in time where I could because I had a stable job that did not have random tests. just the initial. I read some post about pot being linked to ED and could not disagree more. I don't know about the rest of you, but pot makes it hard as iron and the relaxation you get from being stoned allows a guy to sustain said piece of iron for a much longer duration than usual.

And about pot being addictive? Well, I've never seen anyone in a pawn shop with a TV trying to get pot money. Personally, when it came time to stop I always could with no hassle. The "withdrawals" some folks speak of are nothing more than an "Aw shucks, can't smoke right now" type.

About pot not being social? Its the best friend maker ever made. Go to a rock concert or a large party and find the group of people passing a joint around and then take a few hits then discover how talkative you get. Since everyone else is in just as good a mood you are they are going to talk back to you and even laugh at your jokes. It's the perfect ice breaker for initiating a conversation with someone you are interested in. It sure beats twiddling your thumbs and second guessing your every move in a nervous awkwardness that is completely alleviated by pot.

Got family issues? I know most think it isn't a good idea for kids to smoke pot, but the fact is they are going to do exactly what they want regardless of what anyone says because when you are a kid you are in the mindset of being invincible. I've seen family situations work with the influence of pot because pot breaks down the walls we all build up to keep people out of our business. People are more inclined to open up to each other and communicate when they have a relaxed mind. As bad as some might think pot is, this is a a definite positive when you think of how many parents out there find it impossible to connect with their children. I'm not saying that pot is the answer to everyone's family issues, I am just saying that I have witnessed a situation where pot actually helped.

People use pot to escape something or because they are depressed? Sure, some might. Some people do other things like running until their bones develop microfractures from the stress, eating well past the satisfaction of hunger, or playing with themselves to online porn to escape some reality they would rather avoid. Other people simply enjoy their vices. When i smoked i did so when I was perfectly happy. Pot was simply an enhancement to my current situation. When I was a vocalist for a few bands a while back pot was a common indulgence. It loosened up the mind enough to dig creativity that would otherwise be blocked by stress out into the open and these ideas would become songs. Thanksgiving dinner? Maybe i wanted a big appetite so I could annihilate a large plate of food of which all the flavors would be enhanced by pot? Maybe a big road trip is underway. Rather than staring out the window for several hours in the back of a class A mobile home, I would take a few hits with my pals and we would have a great time WHILE TRAVELLING to the destination.

Pot supporting terrorism and the international drug trade? I hate to break it to you, but people don't buy their pot from colombia, they buy it from a pal that might grow a plant or two in his/her basement.

Pot being more dangerous these days because of potency? More potency means you need less of it to get to where you need to be versus the old days where you would have to smoke all day long to get nowhere close to today's standards.

I understand that my views are not going to be popular. I simply wanted to explain a few positive scenarios that pot can offer in a few situations that are insignificant to the greater society and only affect those that are in the current situation. I am an advocate for legalization because I think it is wrong for something so minor to affect a citizen of this country to greatly. Does handing someone a sentence (life in prison)for possessing one joint that is equal to first degree murder make sense? You can't tell me it does. Do people in prison for marijuana related offenses deserve to occupy a cell while a rapist or child molester goes free because of overcrowding? Why does something so insignificant have to destroy a person's professional career? What is the difference between having pot in your system from two weeks ago versus coming to work with only hangover and causing a mishap? Its not like pot is cooked with a bunch of chemicals in some small travel trailer somewhere to produce. It grows, you pick it, and consume it.

I don't smoke marijuana because it is illegal. I don't smoke because one failed drug test would be the end of the new career I have busted my butt in school for. This is just a reality. In no way do I abstain from smoking pot because I think it is bad. If it ever becomes legal there will be a green mushroom cloud coming from my house that resembles an atomic bomb.
 atomaton
Msg: 271
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2012 6:53:57 AM
finally a reasonable post i thought we lived in washington with a capitol w, a place where to hold shift to make a word proper just seems pretentious , where its Weird if people DON'T smoke Weed, all these straight-edge POF'ers are really harshin my mellow. thanks seattleartist. (closes eyes raises fist in the air) (hold position)(end scene)
 jbball50
Msg: 272
Posted: 8/27/2012 10:58:58 AM

And about pot being addictive? Well, I've never seen anyone in a pawn shop with a TV trying to get pot money. Personally, when it came time to stop I always could with no hassle. The "withdrawals" some folks speak of are nothing more than an "Aw shucks, can't smoke right now" type.

I've had friends steal money or sell things to get weed money, I also have friends who can't stop. It all has to do with a person and their addictive personalities. Everyone's going to be different.
 shortymcmillen1234
Msg: 273
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2012 4:07:23 PM
I dont have a problem with people smoking pot
i living with a roomate that is an alcholic a really bad one
where by 11 in the morning he's staggering around the house knocking shit around
he is 61 yrs old not working, he is on unemployment
i feel bad for him, cause of his disease
he is in denial about a month ago he would come in drunk and trying to say that his girlfriend put pills in his beer
which i knew its a lie
so i responded back and told him next time she does this i will call the police and she will be arrested cause its against the law for this..
well now his new excuse is
i am getting dizzy spells { while comming in smelling like cheap beer and staggering falling all over the ground}
i dont know what do to with him cause he is in denial,
i feel bad if he was to be kicked out cause he will die on the streets...
last weekend we went to the dump he didnt drink for 2 hrs cause me and my other roomate had him helping us load and unload the trucks for a couple of hrs
on the way home he was in the back seat shaking extremly bad...
he is so bad on alcholol
i know more people that can not function on booz and hard drugs.....
so legalizing pot may be a solution...its still not going to stop the hard drugs at all
the only way we probally can stop people getting into hard drugs is if the police can start shooting all the the adicts killling them off then mabe it will scare people enough not to touch the crap but again then we cant do that
cause thats un human..i am not saying lets do this cause then we be in the wrong....cause killing and hurting people is wrong....
i hope my info is helpful to you and others
 TeeToTheEyeToTheEm
Msg: 274
Posted: 8/27/2012 4:49:07 PM

I've had friends steal money or sell things to get weed money, I also have friends who can't stop. It all has to do with a person and their addictive personalities. Everyone's going to be different.

Any vice on the planet could have the few exceptions, if you live your life by the exception then you never grasp the rule. You could have the same person who claims to be so addicted to pot that they have to steal be the same person who flips out without their morning coffee and causes a wreck on the freeway. A person could correlate anything to this argument. All I am saying is to have 1000's of people take the "Pepsi challenge" format in terms of marijuana and I would bet everything that the results would be in favor of marijuana's trivial chance of being addictive when compared to other substances such as Xanax, Vicodin, OxyContin, or whatever the government would prefer to have in our bodies over a plant. The fact is that you never really hear about theft or violence tied to marijuana use (marijuana ONLY) in the papers or in the news. Its always something else when the facts boil down and the attempt at the media to spin an anti-pot scheme out of it is discovered. Like that guy on bath salts. They tried to pin that on marijuana and the nation called BS because people know better. As it turned out the guy had marijuana in his system from several days prior that in no way could have affected him, but the media tried in desperation to use that trace amount of pot as a foothold and failed miserably when they knew for a fact that some other substance caused that guy to flip his lid. You have to wonder why the anti-pot establishment has to work so hard to get anything that would be considered tangible? Don't you think they would have a slam dunk side to the story by now that wasn't completely debunked by existing facts pertaining to marijuana?
 MiseryMachine24
Msg: 275
Posted: 8/28/2012 12:12:30 AM
different strokes for different folks... me personally, i have a addictive personalitiy among other emotional issues. it's really not in my best interest... others handle it just fine and good for them. just don't let the shit run ya! !
Show ALL Forums  > Washington  > Ok, how serious of a drug problem is marijuana???