Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Headphones      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Strange Days
Msg: 1
view profile
History
HeadphonesPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Hi, my name is ____ and I'm a cans-o-holic. I love the smoothness and detail of headphones. I think I could live without speakers. Lp's on cans is magic. My tube headphone amp and quality cans with even a cheap source is very enjoyable.
Anyone else love headphones? It's the system of choice with me. You can't beat the preformance/cost ratio.
 2findU
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Headphones
Posted: 8/8/2007 10:59:32 AM
I sure have been using headphones alot lately. Mainly because I bought an Mp3 player and use it at work alot. But they are not high fidelity headphones, just $10 Radio Shack headphones I already had. And with the noise around here (I can hear the machines on the production floor) its not too important for high fidelity.
 dmaree
Msg: 3
Headphones
Posted: 8/10/2007 12:59:02 PM
headphones are one of the best inventions... nothing better than being able to hear all those tiny details of sound right up close.
 Strange Days
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Headphones
Posted: 8/25/2007 5:14:56 AM
UPDATE: Finally replaced the tubes in my headphone amp with better quality ones. Wow. Much better.

HEADPHONES + TUBE AMP = SONIC BLISS
 Strange Days
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Headphones
Posted: 8/25/2007 11:09:48 PM
Wow, what did I say to warrant an attack like that?

I own several top-shelf tube and solid state amps and enjoy both. Yes tubes have far more distortion, but the sound is more life-like. SS amps step through dynamics and control flow like machines. The levels can only go: 1, 2,5, 7, etc; there's not a 3 & 1/3 like tubes, and real music have. A better more expensive SS amp just has more steps.

This is long, tired, old argument. If digital and SS are so great, why can't they sound like a tube amp? All this modeling stuff sounds like crap. Musicans and audiophiles hold onto tube designs because nothing else sounds like that. And because we have learned to hear the difference.

Ask LATE, or any of the other musicans on here. Tubes are not voodoo.
 Strange Days
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Headphones
Posted: 8/25/2007 11:46:27 PM
Pretty sad, that wasn't even my post. maybe you should read more carefully before you start being nasty. I have no experience w/ KOSS cans, and therefore have no comment on them.
I, like anyone else here, have a right to discuss whatever I'd like within the rules of the forums. Your preferences are yours, mine are mine. Let's be adults.

ATLAS74: Check out Headroom amps, they have a crossfeed circuit. I have one and like it alot. headphone.com . Or if you know your way around an iron, you can build one: http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/index2.htm (I love my Senn's too,-580's)
 Strange Days
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Headphones
Posted: 8/27/2007 5:00:44 AM
measurments don't mean good sound. Stereophile posts testing alongside every review. The person reviewing the equipment doesn't see them untill after they submit their paper to the editor. There has been plenty of awfull measuring equipment that sounds amazing. Dither in cd players is added distortion to warm the sound.

As well, I've refrained from the namecalling, downtalking, kinda stuff you've been saying here. If you are an audiophile as well- It's snobby, know-it-all attitudes like yours that are giving a fun hobby a bad name with outsiders. See many young people at your local hi-hi shop? People like you scare them off.
Let's stick to the topic, and save the name calling for the schoolyard.
 Strange Days
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Headphones
Posted: 8/28/2007 4:50:54 AM
If I've learned anything from my years in hi-fi, it's the importance of the source. I have an Arcam player that I really like. And my Rega turntable isn't going anywhere.
Another reason for the great sound from my heaphones and amp is the signal path: Cd player- good cables-headphone amp- headphones. Short and simple. Take all that other stuff out of the path (preamp, reciever, etc.) and the purer sound results in better fidelity. Your 5.1 amp is great for movies, but that's alot of extra stuff in the way for music reproduction on headphones.
 Lady~s Lament
Msg: 9
Headphones
Posted: 1/14/2008 12:48:15 PM
I'm not here to recommend. But I'll tell you what headphones to avoid: Sennheisers. Two hundred and eighty bucks of ****ing disappointment. You will not hear the bass with their headphones, at all. Terrible for music producers and sound engineers.
 Alphabet_Panda
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Headphones
Posted: 12/14/2009 9:08:22 PM
Anyone tried wearing 'em outside/in public?
 Ostinato
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Headphones
Posted: 1/28/2010 4:25:07 AM
I got myself a Shure SRH840 for less than $200, it worths every penny I paid for.
 kasandroid
Msg: 12
Headphones
Posted: 2/9/2010 9:39:54 PM
My earbud (with special boom feature) keeps popping out of my ear, my ear canal hole not big enough........me wonders if its from all the Swimmer Ear infections over my lifetime, me other ear hole holds the ear bud in just fine.

UrbanToronto
Msg: 13
Headphones
Posted: 2/10/2010 3:48:56 PM
Well for the last 35 years I have used Sennheisers. I tried others but always go back. Speakers I could not live without, audiobox usb hooked up to my MBP and a pair of Rockit 7's attached, clean, clear awesome sound from them, what is used in a lot of recording studios. As for headphones I use Sennheisers for my iPod PX 40 and for home I use HD 448 . That is just my computer area, my main speakers are well, not meant for a home, I have two RAMSA WS-A200's but if I want loud I have it lol. I am not an audiophile but someone who just loves music.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Headphones