Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 3
Does anyone know a good homeade buiscuit recipie.....Page 4 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
or...
INGREDIENTS:
2 cups all-purpose flour, stirred before measuring*
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup lard or vegetable shortening, chilled
2 tablespoons butter, chilled
3/4 cup buttermilk
PREPARATION:
Heat oven to 450°. Adjust oven rack to center position.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Cut in chilled shortening and butter until you have pieces the size of small peas.
Make a well in center of dry ingredients; pour in buttermilk. With a wooden spoon, gently blend dry ingredients into the buttermilk, just until mixture is clumping together. If necessary, add a few more teaspoons of buttermilk.
Transfer dough to a lightly floured board. Pat out in a circle about 8 inches in diameter and 1/2-inch thick. Using a 2 1/2 to 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut out and place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake on center oven rack for about 10 to 12 minutes, until tops are browned.
Makes 10 to 12 biscuits, depending on size of cutter.

i googled it but its pretty much the same recipe i have used before
 patty50
Msg: 10
Does anyone know a good homeade buiscuit recipie.....
Posted: 8/12/2007 8:27:58 AM
Spoon Buiscuits-------for about four buiscuits----one cup of white lilly flour----one fourth of stick butter cut up---enough butter milk to make a paste then-- spoon them on greased cookie pan---you will have to try several times to make then as you would like---------good luck
 Jude52
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2007 7:49:11 PM
Hey Hon,
I just use the Martha White (or what ever you have on hand/or perfer) flour self rising,
put some in a bowl and make a tunnel with your fist. put some Crisco in just enough to make a dough ( the more you practice the better you will be at measureing by looks) put some buttermilk in .....mix in a dough. Always put some flour (lightly) on your hands to begin with so the dough won't stick to you, Don't over mix it or it will be to hard when they come out of the oven. After you get you dough roll made keep your hands lighty floured , pinch a bit off and roll into a biscuit the size that you want to eat....pregrease your pan and preheat your oven. Put you biscuit on the pan, give a little knuckle pat on the top to even the biscuit out and fill the pan ; put n the oven and wait about 10 / 15 minutes and take them out.....serve with hot butter, honey and or gravy.
ps/ if for some reason they look dry or too much flour on the top just slightly wet your hand and pat on the top of the biscuit or take a little of bacon or crisco grease and pat on the top of it (this makes them crispy also), that way they won't be so dry.
Enjoy.
Jude
Mayo is just a substitute for butter or grease in the bread...not bad tasteing.
mayo is also good in baking cakes and cupcakes.....makes them moist and soft.
 vols1986
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/17/2007 4:26:01 PM
greeneyes when you make biscuits you need to need the dough only about 5 times and then let it rest about 5 min. when youcut them dont turn the cutter it will stop them from rising.i make them everyday as i am a cook on a riverboat.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2007 7:23:54 PM
...Oh Please Sofishtikated...have you never had a biscuit at a Bob Evan's restaurant?...They are so light..so fluffy...they melt in yer mouth...I've never been able to duplicate them...even after buying their mix that they sell...
 Randyspen01
Msg: 32
Posted: 11/26/2008 8:20:18 AM
The best buiscuit recipie has to go to Buisquick. Just grab a box and add water. Nothing beats the taste.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/3/2009 3:30:50 AM
For any kind of biscuit, dont over work the dough after you add the liquid.

roll out of the bowl onto a lightly floured surface, dust the top and hand pat the dough down to about 1/2 inch thickness. I cut my biscuits square with a pizza cutter. gently place on a cook sheet.

Drop biscuits...add more liquid and make a loose dough, not a batter. Take large spoonfulls and drop onto a cook sheet. come out light and airry.

Sour dough biscuits...Use sour milk as your liquid. my favorite

I love to top hot biscuits with, real butter, honey, apple butter,or molasses
jellies and jams are cool too.

eat cold and dry the next day with coffee
 whatsallthis
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/3/2009 9:10:52 PM
Several tricks that are helpful:

Use one part cake flour for two parts regular flour. Makes lighter, fluffier biscuits.

The less you mix/handle dough, the lighter and fluffier the biscuit. I am not sure why, but it is true.

I use a large (3-4 oz.) ice cream scoop to form my biscuits (see above) to save time and make less of a mess.

Use 1/2 butter and 1/2 lard for shortening. Lard actually has less fat and cholesterol than butter.

Always use buttermilk. Enough that the dough is moist and sticky, but holds it's shape.
About a cup for 3 cups of flour.

A teaspoon of baking powder for each cup of flour, and make sure your baking powder isn't too old.

If you use self rising flour, add a teaspoon of baking powder.

This will work for most basic recipes.
 weiner745
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2009 3:46:00 PM
i found this one online and its excellent . really simple but wonderful. you need 2 cups all purpose flour 1/4 tsp. baking soda 1 tbl baking powder 1 tsp. course salt 6 tbl cold butter 3/4 c buttermilk. Heat oven to 450 Combine dry ingredients Cut in buter to course meal. Add buttermilk mix till combined. If too dry add buttermilk. Pat onto floured surface. Do not roll. The more you handle the mixture the tougher it becomes. So handle gently. Cut out to 1/2 inch. Cut with floured cutters. I use a glass dipped in flour. Bake on ungreased baking sheet 10-12 minutes or till golden. Enjoy
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2009 8:06:05 AM
Baking Powder Biscuits
2 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup shortening
2/3 cup milk or light cream

Lightly grease cookie sheet; set aside. Mix dry ingredients; cut in shortening until mixture resembles crumbs. Add milk all at once; stir until mixture leaves side of bowl and sticks to spoon. Roll to desired thickness – biscuits double during baking. Cut into squares with knife or rounds with biscuit cutter. Place on greased sheet and bake at 425-450°F until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.

Variations:
Cheese biscuits – add 1/2 cup grated cheese with dry ingredients.
Orange biscuits – add grated rind of 1 orange to basic recipe. Dip a sugar cube in orange juice and press into top of each biscuit.
Lemon biscuits – add grated rind of 1 lemon to basic recipe. Dip a sugar cub in lemon juice and press into top of each biscuit.
Shortcake – add 2 tbsp. sugar, 2 tbsp. fat and 1 egg to basic recipe. Roll to 1/4” and cut equal portions into desired shape. Spread 1 portion with melted butter and place another portion on top. Bake until golden brown. Break apart and fill with fresh or canned fruit and whipped cream.

Beaten Biscuits
4 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk

In large bowl, sift dry ingredients; add butter and mix well. Add beaten eggs and milk; mix briefly. Drop onto ungreased baking sheet and bake at 450°F until golden, about 13-15 minutes.

Buttermilk Biscuits
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
5 tbsp. shortening
1 cup buttermilk

In medium bowl, sift dry ingredients; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk all at once and stir until dough cleans the bowl. Turn out and knead 30 seconds. Roll 3/8” thick; brush with melted fat or butter; fold over and cut double biscuits with biscuit cutter. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 450°F for 12-15 minutes.

And some off the beaten path recipes for biscuits.

Hot Water Biscuits
4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
boiling water

In large bowl, sift dry ingredients; rub in butter; add beaten eggs and milk. Work into firm dough; turn onto a well-floured board. Roll dough out to 1/2” thickness; cut into rounds. Drop a round into a saucepan 3/4's full of boiling water; leave until it comes to surface. Remove from pan with strainer and place on well-greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining rounds of dough; being careful to have water boiling rapidly. Bake at 450°F for 20 minutes. Allow to cool.

Gaspe Biscuits
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. Baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1-1/2 tsp. nutmeg
4 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. salt
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup raisins

Cream sugar and shortening together; add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Dissolve soda in the buttermilk and add to creamed mixture. Lightly stir in sifted dry ingredients; add raisins. Dough should be soft; add 1-2 tbsp. additional flour if desired. On floured surface, roll dough to 3/4" thickness; cut with a floured biscuit cutter and place on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 375°F for 18-20 minutes.

Club Sandwich Biscuit
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. shortening
2/3 cup tomato juice
sliced cheese
thinly sliced bacon

In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture is mealy. Stir in tomato juice. Turn dough onto slightly floured surface and knead lightly. Cut into equal portions with round biscuit cutter. Place thin slices of cheese on half of biscuit and cover with second half. With a toothpick, secure a piece of thinly sliced bacon around side of each biscuit. Bake on a lightly greased sheet in 450°F oven until bacon is crisp and biscuits are lightly browned.

Puffy Cheese Biscuits
1 cup + 1 tbsp. milk
1/3 cup cold butter, cut into bits
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 cup flour
4 eggs
2 tbsp. sesame seeds
3 tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
4 oz. Swiss or cheddar cheese, grated

In medium saucepan, combine 1 cup milk, butter, salt, mustard, pepper and cayenne; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and beat in flour – all at once stirring until mixture forms a ball. Return to medium heat; cook a few minutes longer scraping mixture along bottom of pan to dry dough slightly. Transfer dough to bowl; cool 5 minutes. Beat in 3 eggs, one at a time. Beat remaining egg lightly and reserve 2 tbsp. egg with 1 tbsp. milk; beat remaining egg into dough. Add both cheeses; combine well. Butter cookie sheet; dust lightly with flour; trace 8” circle and spoon batter in mounds around outside edge of circle – mounds should barely be touching each other. Brush tops with reserved egg/milk mixture; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes; reduce temperature to 350°F and bake another 45-55 minutes or until biscuits and firm and golden.
 raxarsr
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2009 5:29:30 AM
Flaky Biscuits

2 c. sifted flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/3 c. vegetable oil
2/3 c. skim milk
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Blend in vegetable oil with fork or a pastry blender. Add milk and mix until dough forms. Gently knead on a lightly floured board, 15 to 20 times. Roll our or pat to 1/2 inch thick. Cut with floured biscuit cutter (or rim of a glass). Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees until lightly browned 12-15 minutes. Makes about a dozen.

For soft biscuits, arrange on baking sheet with sides touching. For crusty biscuits, place well apart.

Buttermilk biscuits: add 1/4 tsp. baking soda to dry ingredients and substitute buttermilk for regular milk.

Cheese Biscuits: add 1/2 c. grated cheese to sifted dry ingredients.
 lakelush
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2009 12:53:16 PM
Here's a little tip from the home of biscuits, North Carolina. After they have baked, brush the tops with butter, and cover with a towel. After a few minutes place a biscuit on a plate and smother with some good ole' sausage gravy. Alternative... slice open , place a piece of fat back or country ham inside and die happy.mmmmm
 OneWomanTom
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/12/2009 2:45:17 PM
One of the best I've ever done is in James Beard's 'Beard on Bread', called 'Baking Powder Biscuits'. It is the classic Southern recipe for biscuits. You must follow the recipe closely for it to come out. For example, flour must be sifted, use cold butter. I sometimes sub buttermilk for milk. This makes them a little fluffier.
 Yankee_Girl
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2009 7:23:14 PM
I live in the south but bake biscuits like a Yankee. I call the recipe "Wampum biscuits". To open the can of Pillsbury biscuits, you "whomp it" on the counter. Bake according to package directions.
 mik1950
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/12/2009 8:31:10 PM
actually some of the pre mixed stuff aint bad..i gotta admit i have a few boxes and bags of pre mixed stuff here...for emergencies
 CurvesssDaytona
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2009 9:21:10 PM
I can go either way on biscuits. The scratch kind only takes a few minutes more than using a mix. However the mix (like Bisquick) does come out the same everytime. For scratch I recommend butter flavor Crisco for best texture and buttery flavor.

Here is a recipe I got from the Epicurious website:

Buttermilk biscuits
makes 12

3 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup (1 1/2sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces or cold Butter flavor Crisco
1 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup milk plus 1/2 cup plain yogurt

Preheat oven to 425°F. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in large bowl to blend. Using fingertips, rub 3/4 cup chilled butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse meal. It is OK to leave some bits of butter. Add buttermilk and stir until evenly moistened. Do not over mix.Using 1/4 cup dough for each biscuit, drop biscuits onto baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until biscuits are golden brown on top, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly. Serve warm.
 mik1950
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/13/2009 9:59:43 PM
*hint*...you can use biscuit dough for pizza crust in a pinch
(covers head and ducks to avoid being hit by objects thrown at him)...
but one day at work...the menu called for bannock pizza...not knowing how to make bannock and not having enough time to make yeast risen pizza dough...i opted for a compromise using packaged biscuit dough...i made 2 commercial sized baking trays of pizza this way and it all got eaten...the clients were quite happy with it
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2009 10:09:16 PM

the menu called for bannock pizza...not knowing how to make bannock

have a First Nations food shop up the road from me that makes bannock - the girl who runs it gave me this site for a variety of recipes/uses - scroll down and recipes/links are on right hand side

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/rsi/fnb/FNB.htm
 mik1950
Msg: 48
Posted: 3/14/2009 2:12:20 AM
CC...i have tried almost every variation of bannock known to mankind...even come up with a few makeshift recipes myself...all were ok...(well thats a bit of a lie)...so far i have only come across one bannock that i liked...it was quite light...you'd swear it was yeast risen...it wasnt tho...and it was deep fried...unfortunately the girl that made it is no longer working with us so i cant pick her brain
 mik1950
Msg: 52
Posted: 3/15/2009 1:28:37 PM
boots...i have done bannock fried...deep fried and baked...as far as doing them on a stick over an open fire would raise...(maybe even singe)...a few eyebrows cuz i work as a cook here in an alcohol/drug rehab...the best i have come up with so far...was pan fried bread dough...but that was yeast risen...and not bannock...the clients loved it...i told them it was italian bannock...

The less you mix/handle dough, the lighter and fluffier the biscuit. I am not sure why, but it is true.

the more you handle the dough...the more you work the gluten in the flour...which is fine for bread...try not kneading bread enough and it is so crumbly you can eat it...
gluten is like a mortar that holds flour together
 mik1950
Msg: 58
Posted: 6/19/2009 8:31:34 AM
AJ...no wonder your business venture never flew...you are measuring stuff in metric yet you live in florida?...weird...also liquid is measured in litres or millilitres......
where did you google that "recipe"?
 Roxy58
Msg: 59
Posted: 6/19/2009 3:07:42 PM
you are working the biscuits too much
need on a couple of time and then cut into biscuits
if this does not work i will send a recipe that works
old one from relatives
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2009 5:11:57 PM
Eyes ... hopefully I'll get some new ones on Sunday - National Aboriginal Day which means I'll head to her little store, sit around and shoot the breeze with her grandfathers (1 is a real character - has everybody falling off their seats laughing) and if White Raven is there, scope out his new carvings. He does wood, deer antlers, moose antlers - only problem is I can't afford the ones I really like. He did an twin eagle carving out of moose antlers - $5000 and it sold as soon as he finished.

Her gf near the Canada/Yukon border sent her this recipe - she's going to try it Sunday with either dried cranberries or blueberries instead of the currants/raisins.

Cree Bannock
6 cups flour
1 cup lard
3 tbsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. salt
2 cups currants or raisins
3 cups water

In the bowl, mix the flour and lard together by hand; add baking powder, salt and the currants or raisins; add water and work the ingredients into a dough.

Two options for cooking - the campfire or the oven.
Campfire - divide the dough into four lumps and firmly wrap each lump around the end of a 4’ stick and prop securely over the fire until golden brown.
Oven - spread the dough out into a 16" square cake pan. Bake at 425°F about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
 Autum Dancer
Msg: 62
Posted: 6/20/2009 1:00:39 PM
I have two I use. One is on the side of the arm& hammer soda box and the other is on
the can of Clabbor Girl baking soda. Both are very good. I have started useing Kiefers
instead of buttermilk. The plain flavor. One trick I have learned is to measure the
Kiefers and just before adding I mix the soda product in the milk.
Good luck ! !

Molly Maude
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2011 10:59:13 PM
I had no idea there were so many variations and recipes for biscuits!

I cheat and use Bisquick ... I'm allergic to milk protein so can't use milk ... I live alone and only wanted ONE biscuit ... so I used 1/3 cup Bisquick and added enough pure whipping cream to make it look sticky, like biscuit dough should look!

I put a little flour down on a cutting board ... rolled the dough around a short bit ... cuz I don't want to handle it too much ... shaped it into a nice round biscuit shape with my floured hands ... popped it into the oven ...

and ... ta da ... ONE biscuit with no milk protein! love it! it was easy AND perfect ... for me!

when I decide to make blackberry cobbler, I make it the same way only add a little sugar and some nutmeg before the cream ... instead of forming into a biscuit, I just crumble it over a small baking dish with lightly sweetened blackberries picked fresh from my yard ... yum ...

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >