Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Black Water U.S. Shadow Army      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mr H2O
Msg: 89
Black Water U.S. Shadow Army Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Eric Prince, founder and sole owner of Blackwater, is a hardcore evangelical.
His father founded the Family Research Council.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Research_Council

When push comes to shove - the Tax Evasion issue will dissapear,
they'll be granted amnesty by our President and it will get swept under the rug.

This one-hour documentary chronicles George W. Bush's personal religious journey
- it examines the political influence of 70 million evangelical Christians.
President Bush has been called the most openly religious president in modern history.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/jesus/

People forget how much Bush's personal religious beliefs play a role in this war.
It has become HIS personal war, personified by his beliefs, and using our taxpayer money.

Seperation of Church and State - my hairy a.s.s. !
 slysterling
Msg: 90
Black Water U.S. Shadow Army
Posted: 10/24/2007 4:08:26 PM
So, another one bites the dust in the military heirarchy...

...In Washington, the State Department's security chief, Richard Griffin, announced his resignation a day after a review panel created by Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice ordered a series of measures to boost government oversight of the private guards who protect American diplomats in Iraq.

Rice's review panel found serious lapses in the department's oversight of such guards, who are employed by Griffin's bureau.

Neither Griffin nor spokesmen for the department's Diplomatic Security Bureau could be reached for immediate comment...

Iraq Determined to Expel Blackwater USA

Oct 24 06:47 PM US/Eastern
By STEVEN R. HURST
Associated Press Writer

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8SFSO300&show_article=1

Richard J. Griffin (2005 - 2007)- a former Secret Service Agent and former Inspector General of the Veteran's Administration. Resigned October 24, 2007
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 92
Posted: 10/27/2007 5:49:08 PM

most universities in american are liberal, some blatantly so

all journalism schools in america are liberal, i only know of one conservative professor at one journalism school in the entire country.

So most places where it is peoples jobs to know a great deal of facts=liberal.

liberalism is a mental disorder!

So knowledge of the facts is a mental disorder.

finally, the soros factor....soros, with billions of dollars has bot and paid for coverage.
its done quite quietly, by hiring and only printing left slanted things, both to get numbers and those seeking both sides of the story are quitely told if they appreciate their jobs they will do them another way.

As opposed to lets say Rupert Murdoch right? Funny I never see you complaining about his media ownership.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2007 6:04:28 PM

i was a journalist and graduated with a degree in journalism from a major state university btw...

Missed the class on capitalizing the first word in a sentence, I presume ?

It's bought , not "bot".

What do our opponents mean when they apply to us the label "Liberal?" If by "Liberal" they mean, as they want people to believe, someone who is soft in his policies abroad, who is against local government, and who is unconcerned with the taxpayer's dollar, then the record of this party and its members demonstrate that we are not that kind of "Liberal." But if by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -- their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal."

believe in human dignity as the source of national purpose, in human liberty as the source of national action, in the human heart as the source of national compassion, and in the human mind as the source of our invention and our ideas. It is, I believe, the faith in our fellow citizens as individuals and as people that lies at the heart of the liberal faith. For liberalism is not so much a party creed or set of fixed platform promises as it is an attitude of mind and heart, a faith in man's ability through the experiences of his reason and judgment to increase for himself and his fellow men the amount of justice and freedom and brotherhood which all human life deserves.

Our responsibility is not discharged by announcement of virtuous ends. Our responsibility is to achieve these objectives with social invention, with political skill, and executive vigor. I believe for these reasons that liberalism is our best and only hope in the world today. For the liberal society is a free society, and it is at the same time and for that reason a strong society. Its strength is drawn from the will of free people committed to great ends and peacefully striving to meet them. Only liberalism, in short, can repair our national power, restore our national purpose, and liberate our national energies. And the only basic issue in the 1960 campaign is whether our government will fall in a conservative rut and die there, or whether we will move ahead in the liberal spirit of daring, of breaking new ground, of doing in our generation what Woodrow Wilson and Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman and Adlai Stevenson did in their time of influence and responsibility.

A Liberal Definition by John F. Kennedy:
Acceptance Speech of the New York
Liberal Party Nomination

September 14, 1960

Far from a mental disorder, it's possibly the most American thing I can think of.

"The property of this country is absolutely concentred in a very few hands, having revenues of from half a million of guineas a year downwards... I am conscious that an equal division of property is impracticable. But the consequences of this enormous inequality producing so much misery to the bulk of mankind, legislators cannot invent too many devices for subdividing property, only taking care to let their subdivisions go hand in hand with the natural affections of the human mind. Another means of silently lessening the inequality of property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions of property in geometrical progression as they rise. Whenever there is in any country, uncultivated lands and unemployed poor, it is clear that the laws of property have been so far extended as to violate natural right. The earth is given as a common stock for man to labor and live on."

Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, October 28,1785. ME 19:17, Papers 8:682
 slysterling
Msg: 94
Posted: 10/31/2007 9:21:28 AM
Interesting turn of events:

Immunity Deal Hampers Blackwater Inquiry

The State Department promised Blackwater USA bodyguards immunity from prosecution in its investigation of last month's deadly shooting of 17 Iraqi civilians...

The immunity deal has delayed a criminal inquiry into the Sept. 16 killings and could undermine any effort to prosecute security contractors for their role in the incident that has infuriated the Iraqi government.

...It's not clear why the Diplomatic Security investigators agreed to give immunity to the bodyguards, or who authorized doing so...

Officials said the Blackwater bodyguards spoke only after receiving so-called "Garrity" protections, requiring that their statements only be used internally—and not for criminal prosecutions.

At that point, the Justice Department shifted the investigation to prosecutors in its national security division, sealing the guards' statements and attempting to build a case based on other evidence from a crime scene that was then already two weeks old.

The FBI has re-interviewed some of the Blackwater employees, and one official said Monday that at least several of them have refused to answer questions, citing their constitutional right to avoid self- incrimination. Any statements that the guards give to the FBI could be used to bring criminal charges.

A second official, however, said that not all the guards have cited their Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination—leaving open the possibility for future charges. The official declined to elaborate.

Prosecutors will have to prove that any evidence they use in bringing charges against Blackwater employees was uncovered without using the guards' statements to State Department investigators. They "have to show we got the information independently," one official said.

Garrity protections generally are given to police or other public law enforcement officers, and were extended to the Blackwater guards because they were working on behalf of the U.S. government, one official said. Experts said it's rare for them to be given to all or even most witnesses—particularly before a suspect is identified.

"You have to be careful," said Michael Horowitz, a former federal prosecutor in Manhattan and senior Justice Department official. "You have to understand early on who your serious subjects are in the investigation, and avoid giving these people the protections." ...

A State Department spokesman did not have an immediate comment Monday. Both Justice Department spokesman Dean Boyd and FBI spokesman Rich Kolko declined comment.

FBI agents were returning to Washington late Monday from Baghdad, where they have been trying to collect evidence in the Sept. 16 embassy convoy shooting without using statements from Blackwater employees who were given immunity.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8SJ587G2&show_article=1#

Mr H2O
Msg: 95
Posted: 10/31/2007 5:23:13 PM
Msg # 95 - I hate to say "I told ya' so" but I predicted this a while ago.
 Romantic Heretic
Msg: 96
Posted: 11/1/2007 1:32:44 AM
Speaking from my knowledge of military history mercenaries are a bad idea.

The first problem is that they are fighting for money. This means that if things get really tough they are a lot more likely to decide, 'They aren't paying me enough to do this shit, man.", cut and run.

The second problem is that all mercenaries come to the same realization some day. "I'm poor, I have weapons and am willing to fight. My employers, the people that hired me, are rich, don't have weapons and are not willing to fight." Guess where their logic leads them.

The most cynical political operator in history, Machiavelli, warned against mercenaries. If he thought they were a bad idea, there can't be much use to them.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2007 7:02:53 AM
There's a third reason , too.

It bleeds off your best warriors into a corporate entity. Your army becomes weakened , as a result. As I said, there are many mercenaries in Iraq right now that make more than US Army generals do.

The taxpayer still pays the bill for their services, and the corporation makes a nice mark-up on top of it too. That makes the same fighting man MUCH more expensive.
 kabiosile
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2007 6:02:39 PM
I am of the opinion that corporations are dangerous and bad for society to begin with but, to allow them to hold armies and stock piles of weapons is folly of epic proportions. It won't take long for the doo doo to hit the fan. Oops it already has.

Anyone who cannot see the issues with this and even briefly studied the history of corporations is a bunch of cards short of a full deck or draws a pay check from one of these companies.
 Hoop
Msg: 99
Posted: 11/14/2007 5:52:49 PM
Excellent research and contributions slysterling.
Isn't it odd, how so many details are so readily at hand for the plucking?
Prince Jr's father's ties to Reagan via his domestic policy advisor.. that his sister and her hubby... heir to the Amway (roughly $7.5 million to Republican candidates since 1990) fortune..

Dick and Betsy DeVos donate huge sums of money to Republican candidates and causes. In the 2004 cycle, the couple ranked fifth among the highest political donors with $981,846 to Republicans.

Dick's father and mother, Richard and his wife Helen operate the Richard and Helen DeVos Foundation and are known to have associations or donated to right-wing groups such as Focus on the Family, the Federalist Society and the Heritage Foundation.

http://iraqforsale.bravenewfilms.org/blog/344-blackwater-runs-red

They're all linked in some way. It's an amazing network.

Erik Prince
Joseph E. Schmitz
Howard Krongard
Alvin Krongard

ect..
but not least of the network characters is Hubertus Hoffmann.
I think Hubertus is a key, whose World Security Network I posted about in another thread.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubertus_Hoffmann
 Mr H2O
Msg: 100
Posted: 11/14/2007 7:37:34 PM
^^ add in message 95 from this thread and it all comes into focus
 slysterling
Msg: 102
Posted: 11/14/2007 9:49:38 PM
thanks hoop, cheers!
So looks like the FBI seems to think Blackwater wasn't in the right over there on their incident. Time will tell all what, if anything, happens.

Blackwater killed 14 Iraqis without cause: FBI report

FBI investigators have found that Blackwater guards shot 14 people with no justification in the controversial September 16 incident in Baghdad, the New York Times reported Wednesday.
Seventeen people were killed in the incident, in which Blackwater private security guards opened fire in a crowded Baghdad neighborhood as they protected a State Department convoy. Blackwater said the guards came under attack.

At least 14 of the shootings broke rules for private security guards in Iraq regarding the use of deadly force, the Times reported, citing unnamed civilian and military officials briefed on the case.

Federal Bureau of Investigation agents said the shootings were unjustified, the Times reported. The FBI investigation into the incident has not concluded, but the findings are being reviewed by US Justice Department officials, the Times reports.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.phpid=071114070426.xhxw4z53&show_article=1
------------------------------

Blackwater shootings 'unjustified'
Nov 14 03:53 AM US/Eastern

...There was no evidence to support claims by Blackwater employees that they were fired upon by Iraqi civilians, the Times said.

The FBI has concluded that three of the deaths may have been justified under rules that allow lethal force in response to an imminent threat, the Times reported. Investigators had said that as many as five of the company's guards opened fire during the shootings, according to the newspaper. One had become the focus of the investigation, the Times said, because that guard was responsible for several deaths.

...State department officials have said it has offered limited immunity to private security contractors involved in shootings in Iraq. They disagreed with law enforcement officials that such actions could jeopardise prosecutions over the incident.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.phpid=paBlackwater_Wed8_Blackwater_shootings&show_article=1
 Hoop
Msg: 103
Posted: 11/15/2007 4:36:22 AM
?? U.S. military law: In late 2006, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) inserted an amendment in the Defense Authorization Act that places all U.S. contractors under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, the court-martial system. ??
 slysterling
Msg: 104
Posted: 11/15/2007 10:13:53 AM

blackwater is going to get nailed ...

Time will tell, but like Hoop says, the network behind the scenes involved here will make all these problems go away. Here's a few more news trinkets for today:

State Dept. inspector-general bows out of Blackwater probe
Story Highlights

The State Department's inspector-general admits his brother advises Blackwater
Howard Krongard first denied that his brother had any role with the company

The State Department's inspector-general announced Wednesday he would recuse himself from decisions involving security contractor Blackwater, after admitting his brother serves as an adviser to the company. Howard Krongard already was under scrutiny by the House Oversight and Government Affairs Committee, led by California Democrat Henry Waxman.

Waxman said Krongard's oversight of construction of the nearly $600 million U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, Iraq, was conducted with "reckless incompetence," and that he refused to pursue allegations of fraud and labor trafficking by contractor First Kuwaiti.

During a hearing Wednesday morning, Krongard first denied that his brother had any role with Blackwater -- but reversed himself after being confronted with evidence that his brother had attended a Blackwater advisory board meeting this week...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/14/blackwater.state/index.html?iref=newssearch
===========================
But it kind of looks like the State department is now saying "Sorry, not my problem."

State Department won't probe Iraq shooting involving security firm

The U.S. government is not conducting an official investigation into a shooting in Baghdad involving a private security contractor hired by the U.S. State Department, U.S. officials said. Instead, the United States will rely on the private company -- DynCorp International Inc. -- and Iraqi government to probe the weekend shooting, officials said

...After the Blackwater incident, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice pledged to tighten oversight of State Department security details. But the DynCorp security contract does not fall under the department's diplomatic security program, so the embassy's Regional Security Office would not officially investigate the new shooting, a spokesman said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/11/13/iraq.main/index.html?iref=newssearch

Well that's quite an idea. Let the wolves inspect and guard the henhouse. Ya that's it.
Now on the other hand, when you realize that Blackwater is batting a thousand when it comes to none of their protected client bureaucrats getting shot over there, the American government is not going to let go of Blackwater too easily here:

...It's the State Department's zero tolerance for casualties of its employees in Iraq. Such an approach makes tragedies such as the September episode more common – and it marginalizes the lives of innocent Iraqis who just might be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Placing so many diplomats and civil servants on nation-building assignments in the middle of a civil war has a high price – perhaps too high, as officials at State have finally started to acknowledge.

The US government appears to tolerate a certain number of casualties from the all-volunteer military. But civilian employees are a different story. Images of dead diplomats being dragged through Iraqi streets or videotaped beheadings of civil servants, it's assumed, would undermine already tenuous public support of the war.

The very branch of the US government charged with fostering relations with the Iraqi government and people is responsible for the behavior that has helped erode support from the Iraqi populace. The State Department Diplomatic Security Service set up aggressive rules for the use of force for its contractors in what's called the Mission Firearms Policy. These rules are more aggressive than those used by the military for its contracted forces. In fact, the Secretary of State's Panel on Personal Protective Services in Iraq recommended last month that these guidelines be amended to require basic assurances: "due regard for safety of innocent bystanders," "every effort to avoid civilian casualties," and only aimed shots – a nod to the fact that pointing and spraying rounds isn't explicitly banned.

...It is doubtful that replacing Blackwater with another contractor, or even with diplomatic security officers, would make a difference in how the contract is performed. Aligning the Mission Firearms Policy with Central Command's guidelines for contractors is a good first step.

Transferring oversight of contractors from the State Department to DoD will allow DoD to monitor their previously unknown whereabouts – a longtime irritant to commanders in the field. But the change will have little effect on the instructions that firms receive from their State Department contracting officers. It would also worsen accountability: DoD's dismal record of vendor oversight includes Halliburton and the contractors involved in Abu Ghraib.

One of the gravest dangers of the government outsourcing $400 billion of its services is that it can shift responsibility for its actions to the private sector even if the blame is unwarranted. The State Department has launched internal reviews and let its chief of diplomatic security go. But the Bureau of Diplomatic Security's granting immunity to the contractors involved in the shootout is a troubling precedent, particularly since that bureau contracted with Blackwater and has been responsible for its contract monitoring.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1102/p09s01-coop.html?page=2

My bet is Blackwater's not going anywhere, and will only continue to grow in size. They are a very convenient invention and are probably in the long term plan for manning the permanent military bases being built in Iraq for generations to come. Just an uneducated guess mind you. But maybe there'll be some sort of national emergency that will cause them to be redeployed on native soil. Only the shadow knows....
 designingwoman
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2007 10:43:10 AM
Good post Artz!! I agree with you wholeheartedly. Halliburton and Blackwater are a black mark on the USA.

I agree that the Marines and Soldiers are doing the best they can with what they've got, and they deserve our thanks for their service. I don't blame ANY of them one bit for not being happy with those mercenaries.
 Mr H2O
Msg: 106
Posted: 11/15/2007 1:44:06 PM
Perhaps the reason gas is expensive in the USA results from the IMPORTING
of gas for the war effort to run those Hummers, Tanks and support equipment !

Don Van Natta, Jr. | New York Times | December 10, 2003

The United States government is paying the Halliburton Company an average of $2.64 a gallon to import gasoline and other fuel to Iraq from Kuwait, more than twice what others are paying to truck in Kuwaiti fuel, government documents show.

Halliburton, which has the exclusive United States contract to import fuel into Iraq, subcontracts the work to a Kuwaiti firm, government officials said. But Halliburton gets 26 cents a gallon for its overhead and fee, according to documents from the Army Corps of Engineers.

The cost of the imported fuel first came to public attention in October when two senior Democrats in Congress criticized Halliburton, the huge Houston-based oil-field services company, for "inflating gasoline prices at a great cost to American taxpayers." At the time, it was estimated that Halliburton was charging the United States government and Iraq's oil-for-food program an average of about $1.60 a gallon for fuel available for 71 cents wholesale.

But a breakdown of fuel costs, contained in Army Corps documents recently provided to Democratic Congressional investigators and shared with The New York Times, shows that Halliburton is charging $2.64 for a gallon of fuel it imports from Kuwait and $1.24 per gallon for fuel from Turkey.

A spokeswoman for Halliburton, Wendy Hall, defended the company's pricing. "It is expensive to purchase, ship, and deliver fuel into a wartime situation, especially when you are limited by short-duration contracting," she said. She said the company's Kellogg Brown & Root unit, which administers the contract, must work in a "hazardous" and "hostile environment," and that its profit on the contract is small.

The price of fuel sold in Iraq, set by the government, is 5 cents to 15 cents a gallon. The price is a political issue, and has not been raised to avoid another hardship for Iraqis.

The Iraqi state oil company and the Pentagon's Defense Energy Support Center import fuel from Kuwait for less than half of Halliburton's price, the records show.

Ms. Hall said Halliburton's subcontractor had had more than 20 trucks damaged or stolen, nine drivers injured and one driver killed when making fuel runs into Iraq.

She said the contract was also expensive because it was hard to find a company with the trucks necessary to move the fuel, and because Halliburton is only able to negotiate a 30-day contract for fuel. "It is not as simple as dropping by a service station for a fill-up," she said.

A spokesman for the Army Corps of Engineers, Bob Faletti, also defended the price of imported fuel.

"Everyone is talking about high costs, but no one is talking about the dangers, or the number of fuel trucks that have been blown up," Mr. Faletti said. "That's the reason it is so expensive." He said recent government audits had found no improprieties in the Halliburton contract.

Gasoline imports are one of the largest costs of Iraqi reconstruction efforts so far. Although Iraq sits on the third-largest oil reserves in the world, production has been hampered by pipeline sabotage, power failures and an antiquated infrastructure that was hurt by 11 years of United Nations sanctions.

Nearly $500 million has already been spent to bring gas, benzene and other fuels into Iraq, according to the corps. And as part of the $87 billion package for Iraq and Afghanistan that President Bush signed last month, $18.6 billion will be spent on reconstruction projects, including $690 million for gasoline and other fuel imports in 2004.

From May to late October, Halliburton imported about 61 million gallons of fuel from Kuwait and about 179 million from Turkey, at a total cost of more than $383 million.

A company's profits on the transport and sale of gasoline are usually razor-thin, with companies losing contracts if they overbid by half a penny a gallon. Independent experts who reviewed Halliburton's percentage of its gas importation contract said the company's 26-cent charge per gallon of gas from Kuwait appeared to be extremely high.

"I have never seen anything like this in my life," said Phil Verleger, a California oil economist and the president of the consulting firm PK Verleger LLC. "That's a monopoly premium — that's the only term to describe it. Every logistical firm or oil subsidiary in the United States and Europe would salivate to have that sort of contract."

In March, Halliburton was awarded a no-competition contract to repair Iraq's oil industry, and it has already received more than $1.4 billion in work. That award has been the focus of Congressional scrutiny in part because Vice President****Cheney is Halliburton's former chief executive officer. As part of its contract, Halliburton began importing fuel in the spring when gasoline was in short supply in large Iraqi cities.

The government's accounting shows that Halliburton paid its Kuwait subcontractor $1.17 a gallon, when it was selling for 71 cents a gallon wholesale in the Middle East.

In addition, Halliburton is paying $1.21 a gallon to transport the fuel an estimated 400 miles from Kuwait to Iraq, the documents show. It is paying 22 cents a gallon to transport gas into Iraq from Turkey.

The 26 cents a gallon it keeps includes a 2-cent fee and 24 cents for "mark-up costs," the documents show. The mark-up portion is intended to cover the overhead for administering the contract.

Ms. Hall of Halliburton said it was "misleading" for the corps to call it a mark-up. "This simply means overhead costs, which includes the general and administrative costs like light bulbs, paper and employees," she said. "These costs are specifically allowable under the contract with the Corps of Engineers, are defined by detailed regulations, and are scrutinized and approved by U.S. government auditors."

In recent weeks, the costs of importing fuel from Kuwait have risen. Figures provided recently to Congressional investigators by the corps show that Halliburton was charging as much as $3.06 per gallon for fuel from Kuwait in late November.

If the corps concludes that Halliburton has successfully administered the gas contract, it could be paid an additional 5 percent of the total value of the gas it imported.

Halliburton's Kuwait subcontractor was hired in May. Halliburton and the Army Corps of Engineers refused to identify the company, citing security reasons. Aides to Representative Henry A. Waxman, the California Democrat who has been a critic of the fuel contract, said government officials had identified it as the Altanmia Commercial Marketing Company. Several independent petroleum experts in the Middle East and the United States said they had not heard of Altanmia.

Copies of the Army Corps documents were given to Mr. Waxman's office, which provided them to The Times.

Iraqi's state oil company, SOMO, pays 96 cents a gallon to bring in gas, which includes the cost of gasoline and transportation costs, the aides to Mr. Waxman said. The gasoline transported by SOMO — and by Halliburton's subcontractor — are delivered to the same depots in Iraq and often use the same military escorts.

The Pentagon's Defense Energy Support Center pays $1.08 to $1.19 per gallon for the gas it imports from Kuwait, Congressional aides said. That includes the price of the gas and its transportation costs.

The money for Halliburton's gas contract has come principally from the United Nations oil-for-food program, though some of the costs have been borne by American taxpayers. In the appropriations bill signed by Mr. Bush last month, taxpayers will subsidize all gas importation costs beginning early next year.

In an interview on Tuesday, Mr. Waxman responded to the latest information on to costs of the Halliburton contract. "It's inexcusable that Americans are being charged absurdly high prices to buy gasoline for Iraqis and outrageous that the White House is letting it happen," he said.

nytimes.com/2003/12/10/international/middleeast/10GAS.htmlE-mail this article
 slysterling
Msg: 107
Posted: 11/15/2007 2:13:05 PM
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/charts/

5 year performance of Haliburton on the stock market. Buy low sell high. Closed today at 36.57 Sold for less than 10 dollars a share 5 years ago.

EDIT: The link screws up the scrolling of this thread, so type in HAL for a stock quote on that link for anyone interested
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2007 2:23:15 PM
There's your proof right there that General William Tecumseh Sherman was indeed right.

War is HAL.
 Hoop
Msg: 109
Posted: 11/15/2007 4:34:56 PM

The link screws up the scrolling of this thread, so type in HAL for a stock quote on that link for anyone interested

A URLer's best friend,
Shorten a URL at:

http://tinyurl.com/
 slysterling
Msg: 110
Posted: 11/19/2007 3:30:51 PM
^^^Thanks. I'll have a look at that site. I thought i read somewhere that men that know how to use that tinyurl can make some women hot.
OT:
So, it looks like the Iraqis are going to start taking matters into their own hands. Kinda like the old movie "Network": They're mad as hell and they're not gonna take it anymore..."

Iraq says 2 U.S. guards detained after security convoy opens fire in Baghdad

BAGHDAD - Iraqi soldiers detained two American security guards along with several other foreigners travelling Monday in a private security convoy after they opened fire in Baghdad, wounding one woman, an Iraqi military spokesman said.

..."We have given orders to our security forces to immediately intervene in case they see any violations by security companies. The members of this security company wounded an innocent woman and they tried to escape the scene, but Iraq forces arrested them," al-Moussawi told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2007/11/19/4668795-ap.html
 designingwoman
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 3:49:01 PM
Send HAL the computer from the Space Oddity (Odyssey) movie over to Iraq and just see what happens
 Hoop
Msg: 112
Posted: 11/19/2007 8:15:00 PM

I thought i read somewhere that men that know how to use that tinyurl can make some women hot

I don't know about 'hot' but it'll usually get them an appreciative smile
 matt3848588
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 10:46:50 PM
wow ya read some of this an wonder why are country is such a bunch of sheep. Don't you know (5th grade us history) the president cannot invade a country the CONGRESS is the only group that can DO THAT AND ONLY BY A 2/3RD MAJORITY VOTE. Like MOST people in this country the SENATE has once again pulled the wool over your eyes. Every time something happens in this country its always EVERBODY elses fault. There are 100 (2 in every state) senators THAT RUN THIS COUNTRY and everything about it. THE PRESIDENT HAS VETO POWER BUT ONLY IF THE US SENATE WANTS HIM TO HAVE IT. ANY VETO HE SIGNS CAN BE UNSIGNED BY A 2/3RDS MAJORITY VOTE FROM THE SENATE. Every time something bad happens ie. Iraq, Katrina, the I35 bridge collapse in MINN. the us SENATE blames it on everybody but themselfs. Its the mayors fault . . . he's there 2 years, it's the goveners fault . . he's there 4 years. Oh Oh thats right the stupid sheep in this country will always believe it's the presidents fault. He's there 4 years or 8 if he's lucky. LISTEN TO THIS, VERY IMPORTANT: IRAQ, EVERY SINGLE SENATOR HAS VOTED TO GO THERE AND STAY THERE. KATRINA THE 2 US SENATOR IN LA. WERE THERE FOR 36 YEARS THEY WERE GIVEN 40 BILLLON U. S. DOLLARS TO FIX THE PROBLEM THEY KNEW EXSISTED SINCE THE 1960'S WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL. THE BRIDGE IN MINN THE 2 SENATORS WERE GIVEN BILLIONS TO FIX THE BRIDGE. WHERE IS THE MONEY????? WHY IN EACH OF THESE SITUATIONS IS NOT ONE SENATOR CALLED ON THE PUBLIC CARPET TO EXPLAIN HIS OR HER ACTIONS. NEXT TIME YOU HEAR IT'S THE MAYORS FAULT ITS THE GOVENERS FAULT IT'S THE PRESIDENTS FAULT ASK YOUSELF :WHY ISN'T IT THE SENATORS FAULT ? AND WHY HAVE SOME THESE SENATORS BEEN IN OFFICE SINCE THE 1950'S. ONE SINCE HIS BROTHER WAS THE PRESIDENT IN 1962??????????????
 matt3848588
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 11:00:31 PM
CAN SOMEBODY EXPLAIN THIS BLOOD FOR OIL THING. ARE YOU NUTS ???HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND????? IF THIS WAR IS BLOOD FOR MONEY CAN YOU, ( MY MIND IS WHAT EVER CNN TELLS ME IT IS), TELL ME WHERE IS THE OIL???? AN WHY IS THE PRICE OF GAS NOW 3.00 A GALLON. IF IT IS BLOOD FOR OIL THEN WHY DON'T WE JUST MAKE IRAQ 51 AND TAKE IT. IGNORANCE
 matt3848588
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 11:01:21 PM
CAN SOMEBODY EXPLAIN THIS BLOOD FOR OIL THING. ARE YOU NUTS ???HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND????? IF THIS WAR IS BLOOD FOR OIL CAN YOU,
( MY MIND IS WHAT EVER CNN TELLS ME IT IS TYPES), TELL ME WHERE IS THE OIL???? AN WHY IS THE PRICE OF GAS NOW 3.00 A GALLON. IF IT IS BLOOD FOR OIL THEN WHY DON'T WE JUST MAKE IRAQ 51 AND TAKE IT. IGNORANCE
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Black Water U.S. Shadow Army