Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gtomustang
Msg: 68
today's TV shows totally SUCKPage 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
the annoying thing with TV is that the morally-troubled anti-hero is the hot commodity. Hard to find a hero to follow in life/model yourself after. In the black and white days, one might wish for a Dad like they saw on TV. Of course, there were bad guys--Andy Griffith doing "Face in the Crowd"--but that wasn't the norm.
 flyguy51
Msg: 69
today's TV shows totally SUCK
Posted: 4/10/2014 11:36:10 AM
I have watched more TV growing up than I care to admit. I agree with the above stated evolution from black and white to grey in the characters. The old shows seemed to be saying "This is the goal to strive for as a person" whereas today's shows say, "This is a representation of how we are in reality-- complex."

In my experience, the first grey characters in TV were Archie Bunker and Hawkeye Pierce-- so it seemed to start in the 70's.

There are still many great shows on TV-- some are arguably the best in the history of television. Thing is, many of them seem to be coming from cable rather than the networks. With network TV, we seem to be largely stuck with watching singers trying to make it to the big time.
 daynadaze
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2014 1:19:28 PM
You want some good old fashioned reality TV from the good old days? Watch some Queen for a Day.

TV & movies are entertainment, they are not suppose to be your moral compass or role models or heroes, although some of them work out that way, you are suppose to get your morals from how you are raised, that's part of a parent's job. If you start complaining about TV or movies not raising you correctly, you are way off course.
Posted: 4/10/2014 3:22:52 PM
I'm waiting for a reality survival show where about 10 people are in the wild somewhere with almost nothing at all, only remote operated cameras scattered about with some handheld go-pro's in the group, and they have to make it for about 18 months on their own (the location has some kind of winter)...and with none of the usual rules or incentives to make them want to compete or cooperate or anything. (Still lots of details about this though, but I have it all worked out.)

If they have trouble getting something like this together, they can just call me. I'll sign up quicker than birdsh!t. Unless the group includes the typical freaking drama queen idiots with whiney boo hoo bad attitudes.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 72
Posted: 4/10/2014 7:48:54 PM

I'm waiting for a reality survival show where about 10 people are in the wild somewhere with almost nothing at all, only remote operated cameras scattered about with some handheld go-pro's in the group, and they have to make it for about 18 months on their own (the location has some kind of winter)...and with none of the usual rules or incentives to make them want to compete or cooperate or anything. (Still lots of details about this though, but I have it all worked out.)

A real life "Lord of the Flies"?

From Wikipedia:

"Lord of the Flies is a 1954 dystopian novel by Nobel Prize-winning English author William Golding about a group of British boys stuck on an uninhabited island who try to govern themselves with disastrous results. The book portrays their descent into savagery; left to themselves in a paradisiacal country, far from modern civilisation, the well-educated children regress to a primitive state.
At an allegorical level, the central theme is the conflicting human impulses toward civilization—living by rules, peacefully and in harmony—and toward the will to power. Themes include the tension between groupthink and individuality, between rational and emotional reactions, and between morality and immorality. How these play out, and how different people feel the influences of these, form a major subtext of Lord of the Flies"
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2014 4:34:27 AM
Don't suck list.
Downton Abbey
The Good Wife
Once Upon A Time
Supernatural
The Neighbors.........a hoot
Resurrection and Crisis is pretty good ( right now) Never know with new ones where they will go though.
Greys Anatomy
Law and Order
Big Bang Theory, but losing a bit of momentum for me.
Modern Family

I must look into net flix soon.
 gtomustang
Msg: 74
the reality of reality TV
Posted: 4/11/2014 8:36:06 AM
"I'm waiting for a reality survival show where about 10 people are in the wild somewhere with almost nothing at all, only remote operated cameras scattered about with some handheld go-pro's in the group, and they have to make it for about 18 months on their own (the location has some kind of winter)...and with none of the usual rules or incentives to make them want to compete or cooperate or anything. (Still lots of details about this though, but I have it all worked out.)"

>>>And we should obviously call it, "the Libertarian Paradise." No government interference, no regulations to stop business from doing what it wants, everyone starts off equal and ends up...equally spending time defending what little they have from theft.

no need at all to hand-pick drama queens for the show. everyone's allowed to pollute. property value is poorly defended b/c government is small enough to drown in a bathtub. after all, you need some law or what you have is not libertarianism, but anarchy. but there's no real taxes, so there's no real infrastructure. no Internet, everything is brick and mortar.

I really think we should have a TV show like this. Let people see what happens if they get what they vote for. A world with very little interference, Laissez Faire is the rule. no inheritance advantage, everyone lives off their abilities..only.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2014 2:59:24 PM
How could I forget Shark Tank?

I took some advise from it a few years ago and applied it to my venture and the advise was very sound.

It was a a segment on a pie guy, with oodles of fabulous pies, but he had one pie that really made the majority of his profit.
I tailored down from over 50 products and often customizing for a few people to focus on one specific item that made me the most money with another 5 that were popular.
It made a HUGE difference.
The packaging, labeling,my time to make them and package them, signs, samples and things I needed to have in stock etc.was ridiculous at one point, and to think I owed it to a pie guy and the owner of the Mavericks advise to change what I was doing.
I had branched out waaaaaaaaay to much.

So reality TV can teach you a few things.
Plus the show is FUN.
Posted: 4/11/2014 5:06:26 PM
PeppermintPetunias: Well darn, most on your list is boring to me. A lot of it is what I'm tired of seeing on the T.V. guide.

If they have trouble getting something like this together, they can just call me. I'll sign up quicker than birdsh!t. Unless the group includes the typical freaking drama queen idiots with whiney boo hoo bad attitudes.

A real life "Lord of the Flies"?

From Wikipedia:

"Lord of the Flies is a 1954 dystopian novel by Nobel Prize-winning English author William Golding about a group of British boys stuck on an uninhabited island who try to govern themselves with disastrous results. The book portrays their descent into savagery; left to themselves in a paradisiacal country, far from modern civilisation, the well-educated children regress to a primitive state.
At an allegorical level, the central theme is the conflicting human impulses toward civilization—living by rules, peacefully and in harmony—and toward the will to power. Themes include the tension between groupthink and individuality, between rational and emotional reactions, and between morality and immorality. How these play out, and how different people feel the influences of these, form a major subtext of Lord of the Flies"

>>>And we should obviously call it, "the Libertarian Paradise." No government interference, no regulations to stop business from doing what it wants, everyone starts off equal and ends up...equally spending time defending what little they have from theft.

no need at all to hand-pick drama queens for the show. everyone's allowed to pollute. property value is poorly defended b/c government is small enough to drown in a bathtub. after all, you need some law or what you have is not libertarianism, but anarchy. but there's no real taxes, so there's no real infrastructure. no Internet, everything is brick and mortar.

I really think we should have a TV show like this. Let people see what happens if they get what they vote for. A world with very little interference, Laissez Faire is the rule. no inheritance advantage, everyone lives off their abilities..only.

Ok, that's all just weird right there. Is there anyone who didn't completely miss the point of the kind of show that I described?
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 77
Today's TV Shows Totally Suck
Posted: 4/11/2014 5:55:07 PM

This season still has had some pretty good episodes, like the one with Valentine's Day on the train and the one about PS4 versus Xbox which also had Wil Wheaton.

I must look into net flix soon.

I used Hulu for a while. Then I turned to a couple of sites that have commercial-free video (shows and movies) for mobile phones. And the occasional torrent.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2014 11:28:02 PM
Here's my take on the whole deal..........media, including TV is a business...driving by ratings. It's so simple, really, there are all types of opportunities for people to do in their "spare time" meaning when they're not working. If I cruise through the channels of my provider and can't find something the peaks my interest, then I always find something that does. I observed/learned this a long time ago, and without exception the people who are bored are always boring people. If TV sucks, then if you can't find something that turns your crank, just accept if, you're not bored you're BORING.
Posted: 4/14/2014 12:22:39 PM
^ You told me about that before...I guess I'm gonna hafta give it another look. I didn't really give it much of a looksey yet, just a tiny peek. I thought I'd like game of thrones, on accident...just see such things sometimes when surfing or nothing else is interesting to me...but it quickly became what I had the impression that it was. And I'm afraid that I have the same intuition about how I'd feel about vikings.

If they'd portray things in Vikings a bit how it was done in The 13th Warrior, with Antonio Banderas, then I might like it. But when that stuff turns out to be mostly dialogue and "character interplay drama", sprinkled with a tiny bit of action and CGI "cool stuff" for just a showing...then I lose interest quick. It comes across to me as just a low budget B show, just done good enough to not be called B.

Magnum P.I. of the 70's was very low budget, what they called a "blue sky" show, because it was very easy to film under any typical day's weather, due to the story's usual locations...and I think that Magnum P.I. is much more entertaining than many of the other, and with well developed characters and story depth.

But then, you have to excuse me...I see many things from the artistic/creative perspective. Like I was a filmaker and story writer or something. When the first star wars movie came out in '77, while other kids my age were mesmerized by it as movie goers, I was fascinated with the techniques that they practically invented and used to make the movie, and how the story moved along, versus other stories, the acting, directing, editing, that is boring as hell to me.
 Bebopalu
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2014 8:50:41 AM
How about doing a real "Hunger Games" reality show? That wouldn't be boring!

"I'm waiting for a reality survival show where about 10 people are in the wild somewhere with almost nothing at all, only remote operated cameras scattered about with some handheld go-pro's in the group, and they have to make it for about 18 months on their own (the location has some kind of winter).
 Bebopalu
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2014 9:01:00 AM
I like some of your list. I haven't watched all those programs though. I think that The Good Wife is the best show on TV now. I like the previous seasons of Downton Abbey, but I think this last season was a dud. Law & Order had some great seasons in the late 1990's.

I've started watching The Americans, and liking it a lot.

Pretty good shows:
Intelligence
Hannibal
The 100
The Vampire Diaries - I've kind of lost interest this season

Don't suck list.
Downton Abbey
The Good Wife
Once Upon A Time
Supernatural
The Neighbors.........a hoot
Resurrection and Crisis is pretty good ( right now) Never know with new ones where they will go though.
Greys Anatomy
Law and Order
Modern Family
 bamagrl68
Msg: 82
Posted: 4/24/2014 3:29:17 PM
bebopalu- I already mentioned Big theory, I think it's better than ever! Loved the episodes with Stephan Hawking, Amy is a hoot, great show!
 daynadaze
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2014 4:56:45 PM
Often on shows when they bring in new people, it's a sign of the show dying and usually a useless attempt to save the it. But bringing in Bernadette and Amy has been a complete win. I love them both, it cracks me up that Bernadette sounds just like her mother-in-law and the way Amy plays off of Sheldon, just brilliant casting. Also it's given Penny more human qualities to interact with these women, instead of just being the hot girl across the hall. I like her with Leonard but some of her best work comes when she's with Bernadette & Amy.

I miss The Office.
Posted: 4/24/2014 5:21:33 PM
^ And why did they keep alternating Big Bang Theory and Two And A Half Men, showing an episode of one, then the other, then the one again, then the other again. Do they actually think that they can "trick" me into ever liking Two And A Half Men?! Sorry, never gonna happen.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 85
Posted: 4/25/2014 10:49:45 PM
Drinksthesunwithmyface- I hear what you are saying, it's hard to go from an intelligent, funny show to the two and a helf men-awful.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 86
Posted: 4/29/2014 4:45:31 PM
daynadaze-Yes! The interaction between the women is great. On a side note, it would be a good change for them to FINALLY have a love interest for Raj, it would be interesting to throw another dynamic of couples in the mix and the lonely/awkward spiel with him is getting a little old (still love the show).
Posted: 4/29/2014 5:50:39 PM
Something to think about concerning this show and this being a dating site forums where people talk about such things: Big Bang Theory is a good example, by the way, of the one thing that's wrong with so many guys who aren't so good with women in various ways, can't get a date, feel awkward, etc...the one thing, the only thing, that's wrong with all of the guys in that show is simply that they believe themselves to be weak, unworthy, or unattractive. They make it true. They seem to revel in it. Even though the aforementioned traits are true to some extent...they are always true about everyone to some extent, but what makes all of the difference in the world is that these characters accept it as almost completely defining who they are - in real life, the problem with a guy is that lack of confidence, and self-esteem. They think of themselves as that stereotype, use whatever ways by which they are not perfect to forget whatever good qualities they have, and use it to define who they are - so that no matter what good can be said about you, and whatever ways by which you might be attractive, what ruins it all is thinking of yourself the way that these characters in this show do. I myself can't help but feel a complete lack of respect for the characters every time they demean and belittle themselves...everytime they acknowledge their faults as if those faults completely define who they are in a way that makes them so unworthy to all women, when it comes to women, sex, ability, manliness, or toughness. The shortcomings of the real-life counterparts to these characters are often not a big deal...but when a person embraces their shortcomings so passionately, when it's their primary source of self-identity, that's what makes them so completely unattractive.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 88
Posted: 4/29/2014 7:42:52 PM
drinkthesunwithmyface- Everyone, at some point, doubts themselves, but you are right, constant doubt and lack of self esteem is not a good thing.
As you think, you are.
I can't remember where I heard that, but when I'm feeling down, I force myself to remember those words and snap out of it asap.
Wise words.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2015 4:34:20 AM
New show on Fox, Backstrom with Rainne Wilson from the office series.

Take the semi whacked detective from the old Law And Order CI and cross him with Colombo.
I really like it.
Posted: 2/13/2015 1:10:15 PM
A show that started a while back, Utopia, either continued on another channel, or just went away. If it went away, it's one of the few times when what was deserved, was what was got...because the show was sad as f-ck. They always gotta pick such losers and idiots and pretentious fools for these shows. Or else the show makes them that way.
 naysaying_knicktwist
Msg: 91
Posted: 2/14/2015 6:13:43 PM

Take the semi whacked detective from the old Law And Order CI and cross him with Columbo.
I really like it.

Ooh, Peppermint_Petunias, he reminds you of the Vincent D'Onofrio character (Robert Goren)? In that case I've got to check it out.
 razors_edge55
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2015 3:33:35 PM
funny if you read page 1 they talk about "two and a half men" back in 07 I can only say watch what you like , I miss Dexter , I love Justifid , Banshee , masters of sex , the news room was great ,homeland as well . on the network I like person of interst, the good wife , and Law and order svu been watching 16years, to me if you like the actors , you tune in , but that's me (and I still watch silent films) find your bliss , and maybe it's not on TV,,peace and love ;-)
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >