Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Let's talk turkey......and stuff(ing).      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Naughtical
Msg: 26
Let's talk turkey......and stuff(ing).Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Random....thanks for the help. I think I decided to cook the turkey the way I always have, I'm kinda nervous about trying something new for a bunch of people. I will definitely brine SOMETHING after Thanksgiving, I'm anxious to try it. I am going to cook the turkey upside down for awhile this year and see how it works. Thanks to all who gave that tip.
and yep......I'm using your sausage stuffing recipe, thanks. Happy Thanksgiving.
 Naughtical
Msg: 27
Let's talk turkey......and stuff(ing).
Posted: 11/21/2007 5:48:12 PM
aaarrrrgggghhhhhh........No one told me how hard it would be to turn over a 16 pound turkey.....it fell apart. Guess I kept it breast side down for too long. Oh well, it's juicy. I'll carve it before anyone sees it. (I often cook my turkey the day before if I have lots of things that need the oven)

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
 zangie
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2007 8:43:17 PM
I didn't read the whole thread..so hopefully I'm not repeating...when I got married my soon to be husband's best friend bought me a leather bound edition of "The Joy Of Cooking" (he thought he was being a smart ass...)..in there I learned the best way to cook any poultry and keep both types of meat tender...soak a piece of cheesecloth in oil ( I use olive oil, works the best) drape it on the turkey...baste every 10-15 minutes..over and under the cloth..works like a charm..tenderest turkey...especially the white meat..even if you buy a generic or a cheaper turkey..I also got my stuffing recipe from there...fresh parsley, mushrooms, nutmeg..etc...love it and so has everyone who's tried it...just finished making it for stuffing in the morning....
 Moonchild51
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2008 12:22:37 PM
Bringing this thread back up again as it is that time of year. There were some awesome ideas here for Tom Turkey and all the trimmings! I think I am going to put Tom in a brine this year for the very first time! Good luck to you all with the turkey cookin and Happy Thanksgivin! Oops, sorry, just remembered that I am a Cannuck and you good US folks don't have yours for a bit! lol. Oh well, guess you will get a head start!
 Briett
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2008 12:57:00 PM
I put a rub on my turkey last year then deep fried it in peanut oil. It was so moist and flavorful. A hint though..be sre to turn the turkey as much to the side as possible in the fryer...I almost burned the house down when the oil shot out of the turkeys butt....yikes
 Naughtical
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/10/2008 5:05:37 PM
Hey, Moonchild...thanks for finding this thread and bringing it back to life. It is just in time for Canada's Thanksgiving (Mon. the 13th) soooo...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL YOU GREAT PEOPLE FROM CANADA

SmilingSalmon: What a menu!!!
The stuffed mini pumpkins sound like a great, new idea I would like to try.
Please elaborate when you have the time. (remember...this is me, I need details)

Hawaiian: Here in Florida I can cook my Turkey the same way (yes, thank you, God)

Briett: Too funny. Hope you come back and tell us about the rub you use.
 Briett
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2008 6:46:28 PM
Naughtical

pretty basic rub, sage, garlic powder,cumin,onion powder, cajun spice and a little cayenne. I put it on the night before... i also mixed this with oil and infused the turkey before frying...that was awesome
 raxarsr
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2008 7:51:28 PM
the very best stuffing i've ever had was wild rice,,,,,,,chestnuts .dried apples and dried cranberries..........i have no idea how it was made....but it was amazing.......i do know that she basted the turkey with cider.................that too was fantastic..........sadly..the lady who cooked this feast has passed away and i've lost touch with her family...it was her last "thanksgiving"........which she made in march.........[her son was overseas for thanksgiving.and had just come home........i was dateing his daughter and got invited]
 Naughtical
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/10/2008 7:56:12 PM

the very best stuffing i've ever had was wild rice,,,,,,,chestnuts .dried apples and dried cranberries..........i have no idea how it was made....but it was amazing.......

This sounds like a job for SmilingSalmon...where are you?
I know you can come up with a recipe for Raxarsr, right?
Anyone else who can help...THANKS!
Just sounds like it would be delicious.
 TodaysCatch
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2008 8:33:50 PM
Had my last girlfriend been able to cook, I could have cared less that she never wanted to have sex. This is my kind of post!
This one started in August, and the OP has been checkin' in constantly, yet we're still more than a month away from Thanksgiving. Mm Mm . . . I'm having a premature turkeygasm.

Too many good recipes here to top, but I don't think anyone described this different way to roast turkey - in a paper shopping bag! All right, it's in a roaster covered with a bag that's been cut to fit over the bird. It just works better than a lid, especially with big gobblers where the lid won't fit. If you don't care as much about presentation, you can cook it breast side down, so that all the juices run there,
and you'll have the juiciest turkey this side of deep frying. Flip it and remove the bag for the last 45 minutes, and it will brown perfectly. And no, the bag won't catch fire, or at least it hasn't for the fifteen-odd years I've been doing it this way. Enjoy.
 TodaysCatch
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2008 8:56:29 PM
OOppss. . . that was August of LAST year. Moonchild brought this back for the Canadian version of the holiday. Just got it . . .

Turkey is the most perfect food ever created.
1. Put in oven
2. Go to beach for 3 hours
3. Come home
4. Eat

Thank you God.

Turkey was also the only animal-based protein on the AMA's top ten cancer-fighting foods list from a few years ago. It should be required eating . . .
 Moonchild51
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2008 8:14:38 AM
Gee Miss Salmon! You have verified the very reason for my bringing this one back up! I have a huge turkey in a brine right now. Not too sure how that is going to work. I am nowhere near as cultivated in the cooking field as you are, so I truly appreciate the ideas you all offer here. Thanks a million!
And Naughti, thanks for the thanksgiving wishes and may you and all your U.S. friends enjoy your weekend when it comes!
 raxarsr
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2008 11:19:28 AM
ok...thats it...i'm moving to michigan and marryin smiling salmon..............
 Moonchild51
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2008 11:32:45 AM
No way Rax! Cuz I saw Miss Salmon first! lol.
Her sexual makeup I could ignore for someone who cooks like she does! lmao

J/K my wee Salmon!!!I would be way way too fat if I was to live with you!
 raxarsr
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2008 12:28:10 PM
awwwwwwwwwww man..........i always get the fuzzy end of the lolipop
 luv2cre8
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/13/2008 9:15:24 AM
I'm sorry... boiled turkey simply does not sound appealing to me. I'm gonna stick to deep fry'n that sukka
 Moonchild51
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2008 4:56:12 PM
Smilin? I have always said that if not for the romantic part of a relationship, I could very well unite with a woman! lmao
The turkey dinner yesterday was nothing short of marvelous! Even the kids said Tom Turkey this year was the best I have ever made. So I think the brining method truly did work, and I thank you folks for it. For some reason, Cannucks never much speak of brining, only you U.S. folks. You guys sure do know your food!
 raxarsr
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2008 7:41:21 PM
i think i might try smoking half a turkey breast.............maybe brine it in a salty brine...but use apple cider instead of water..............let it soak 24 hrs.....then slow smoke over hickory and my last few chunks of honey wood...[wood from a bee tree thats saturated with honey.................is amazing with hams].........rub it good with a mix of smoked paprica,cracked peppercorns and a bit of brown sugar...........any thoughts on how it might turn out?
 Moonchild51
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2008 5:37:23 AM
^^^Thanks for the well wishes Miss Pistol!
I would extend my hand in marriage to Mr. Rax after his last comment about how he is going to cook his turkey, but alas? His cap is set for our Miss Salmon! *sigh*
J/k. After eating this weekend, turkey and fixings, I think I may never eat again I am so full!
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/18/2008 12:59:14 PM

Thanksgiving means roasted turkey and at the very least...cornbread dressing, Brussels sprouts, roasted sweet potatos, homemade whole cranberry sauce......the rest I really don't care about, but those thngs I MUST have.

I'm with SS on this (well, maybe not the brussels sprouts--deep greens with onions and black-eyed peas for me). And, don't forget the ... GRAVY!!!!!!!

Actually, I can pass on all the rest and would be just fine with the gravy.

Ever since I started brining birds years ago I've never gone back. One thing, though, there's no need for alcohol in any brine mix. If you want to add that stuff, fine, but cider, poultry seasoning, black pepper, bay leaves, and orange zest are all the flavorings you need.

Roast the bird hot hot hot at first to get it good and brown. (I start mine at 500F if the oven will go that high.) Then turn it down and roast it covered so that all the carmelized skin flavors circulate through the meat. It cooks much faster and tastes much better that way. I roast mine breast side down, since the dark meat needs to reach about 180F to get done while the white meat dries out at 165F. The brine helps the white meat stay moist.

At the end, I flip the bird over and quickly recrisp the skin under the broiler. Flipping a hot bird is tricky. I skewer it from stern to stem with a knife-sharpening hone, lift it slightly, and roll it against the bottom of the roaster or rack.

When it's done I make ... GRAVY !!!!!!!
 raxarsr
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2008 4:24:54 PM
well..................i cant make any more that way...... it dissapeared in less than 3 hrs of comming off the smoker....hadda be the rub combined to dissolve the meat......but not the bones???????...........................both my sons claimed to have barely tasted it.......and i know i only had 3 or 4 sandwitches..plus the tiniest of crumbs that fell off while carving........

ok ok....we ate every scrap and licked the bones.......................the rub almost carmelised into a glaze.....smoked paprica and cracked pepper go wonderfull together with brown sugar.......i thought it was great.....then i squeezed a lil orange and lemon juice on the meat............thats when i told my sons to leave............i have enough honeywood for one more smoke..next time...i'm doing 2 whole breasts that are split.......plus as much chicken breast as will fit in the smoker
 raxarsr
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2008 7:19:07 PM
bump back to the top
 goodlady30
Msg: 48
Posted: 11/26/2008 7:35:30 AM
well i like my stuffing i melt the butter cut up the celery onions have the bread in bowl and then just add it all mix it up with sage and poultry stuff and mmmmm not much to it but its so good then i do potatoes in big pot vedgies in other pot warm buns then later pie and cookies oh and i have to have sliced ham my mom always had that for me and thats it really xxxxxx oooo
 flawedbutfun
Msg: 49
Posted: 11/26/2008 8:44:21 AM
What are your secrets for a gravy and/or stuffing.

I prefer flour over cornstarch for the gravy and a little smoked kielbasa in the stuffing adds a nice kick to it.
 texasbaby
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2008 8:48:16 AM
I'm making the pies today, sweet potato, apple and chocolate. Then a Tres Leche cake and maybe a banana cake, too.
Later in the afternoon I'll get the veggies cleaned and ready to cook tomorrow.
The turkey is in the brine water with cloves, allspice, sage, thyme, bay leaves, black pepper, garlic and slices of apple, lemon, orange. OMG! It smelled so good when I mixed it up.
The cornbread and biscuits for the stuffing are all done and the fresh stock is in the freezer.
I'm trying to get as much as possible done today, so I can enjoy the day with family tomorrow.
Good Cooking ~ that comes from the heart,, thanks to all for sharing so much of yours with all of us other foodies.

Hope ya'll have a wonderful day tomorrow.

Fonda
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Let's talk turkey......and stuff(ing).