Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Let's talk turkey......and stuff(ing).      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 texasbaby
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Let's talk turkey......and stuff(ing).Page 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Bumping up this great turkey thread ~ because it's almost Thanksgiving!
I'm wondering who has their menu planned already and what you're cooking this year.
At my age, I have adopted the philosophy of dessert first! Heck, you might not make it to the turkey!
I have over 20 cups of fresh pumpkin in my freezer from our Halloween pumpkin, so pumpkin pies will be on my menu, for sure.
For the bird,, some of the brines posted sound sooo good and I like the turkey brined, so which one to try?
Stuffing this year,, I'm craving oysters, so, even tho I don't usually put them in, I'm going to this year.

tb
 raxarsr
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Let's talk turkey......and stuff(ing).
Posted: 11/5/2009 4:49:26 PM
TB......make some pumpkin bread with all that pumpkin........then use the bread for french toast..................trust me on this one...........its as good .or better than that sour cream pie.

as far as the brin goes.......i definately reccomend one of the cider brines....

i'm also starting to wonder about this.........rub the turkey with yellow mustard before brineing not sure why.............but i got a feeling that it might be pretty dang good.........definately be different
 texasbaby
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2009 5:14:18 PM
Absolutely! Pumpkin bread is on my agenda for tomorrow, as a matter of fact. I'm going to make frosting for it with egg nog, cream cheese and powdered sugar, it think.
The french toast idea is great too! A few days ago I made Nutella sandwich french toast for my kids. They loved it!
So, do you think Nutella pumpkin bread french toast would be over the top?? lol
I was at the grocery store today and they had turkeys for 40 cents a pound. I got a decent size turkey for about the same price as the whole chicken I bought. I will be ready to brine later this month.
The mustard is an interesting idea. I love honey mustard, tangy and sweet. What about coating the turkey with that before it goes into the oven?

tb
 dddiesel
Msg: 74
Posted: 11/6/2009 7:53:45 AM
i bbqed my turkey as i usually do , i stuff with a couple apples to hold the spit centered for the rotissere then give the bird a rub with spice , i normally use orange juice but this time i used cranbeery juice in a tray under the bird , slow cooked for 6 hours and the last 2 hours baste with cranberry juice, it was really good , i think i prefer the orange juice over the cranberry buyt i tried something new and it worked out ok , i didn't have to pull out the emergency ham lol ( i try to get a bird about 10 to 12 lbs or so ) PS poke the apples with a fork in a few spots so as they bake they let their juices flow better into the bird.
 texasbaby
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2009 10:48:08 AM
I have sweet potato and pumpkin pies baking, my stock is simmering on a back burner and the turkey is brining ~ used the bucket for the ice cream maker to hold it, perfect fit. The sour dough and corn bread is in a zip loc bag waiting to be turned into stuffing tomorrow.
The kitchen smells good! Wish it was time to eat..
So, lets hear what the rest of you have cooking today.

tb
 raxarsr
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2009 11:28:35 AM
what brine are you useing?.......oh.and how did your pumpkinbread french toats turn out?
 texasbaby
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2009 12:33:50 PM
The pumpkin bread french toast,,, very good, great suggestion!
The brine, humm,, salt, brown sugar, chopped dried apricots, celery, onion, carrot, bay leaves, whole cloves,, can't remember what else.. lol. Thinking of dumping in the last of a bottle of mulled cider I made a few days ago,, can't hurt it with that.
So do you have yours in the brine?

tb
 raxarsr
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2009 2:25:10 PM
no brine.........try as i might..mom just wont do it......and thanksgiving is her day to shine
 texasbaby
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2011 6:29:40 AM
Well ya'll, here's our Thanksgiving thread, lots of good posts in these 8 pages.
This morning I'm trying to decide, brine the turkey or not this year. What are you doing?
I have the cornbread and bread cubes in the freezer, ready to make stuffing, also about a gallon of homemade chicken stock that I've also frozen.
Now, I'm trying to decide about side dishes. MsMicki's apple sweet potato dish is one for sure. It's in the sweet potato thread, check it out.
Hoping to read some new ideas from a bunch of you.

Happy Thanksgiving ya'll!!

tb
 raxarsr
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2011 9:42:56 AM
thx for bring this back tb.........i just re read all of it.....sure did bring back memories
 Moonchild51
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2011 9:59:56 AM
I am going to do Miss Mick's sweet tater recipe for Christmas too DB! We have already had our thanksgiving. I am going to do what Rax did, and review all of the posts in this thread for new ideas this year. I want to switch things up a bit!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2011 2:16:30 PM
I'm spending Thanksgiving with my daughter near Seattle ... have been here since early September ... so we're making HER favorite foods for Thanksgiving ...

I'm making a gluten-free cornbread stuffing for the turkey ... if I were home, it would have sausage and pecans in it ... here, I think celery will be the most creative ingredient allowed ...

I'm also doing green beans with bacon and mushrooms ... cole slaw with cabbage, mandarin oranges, pineapple and mini-marshmallows ... a couple of pumpkin pies ...

and that's about it ... my daughter has all the special things she makes and wants to continue making ... her specialty sweet potatoes, her cranberry sauce which is applesauce with dried cranberries added, the turkey and gravy ... her father (my ex-husband) is here, too ... fortunately, he'll eat just about anything as long as it doesn't include fresh fruit ... (shrug)

while I'm interested in seeing how HER recipes taste ... I'm also looking forward to doing Christmas dinner back in California at my house where I can do more things MY WAY!

a favorite dish one of my sons always requests is a 3-layer gelatin dessert ... the center layer has pineapple and sour cream ... yum ... so that'll be for Christmas ...

one of my granddaughters loves mousse pies ... usually chocolate oreo crust ... strawberry mousse drizzled with dark chocolate syrup ...

I think I'm going to try that sweet tater recipe that included apple slices ... that one sounded GREAT!

probably a pecan pie ... MAYBE mincemeat ...

yum ...
 QueenBeeSweetness
Msg: 83
Posted: 11/21/2011 3:14:27 PM
I really really wanted to smoke our turkey this year in our outdoor smoker, but my boyfriend says it would take too long, & neither of us wants to stay up all night the night before to smoke it *sad face*

So we will just do it in the oven, lots of basting, my boyfriend is a chef so he has made some special concoction to soak the turkey in, dont know what's in it though, but anything he makes is good. I normally make a green bean casserole but the BF hates green beans and the kids never eat it anyways, so i am nixing that one this year,

I am also going to do the desserts, a couple cookie cheesecakes and some pumpkin pie's. My boyfriend sister in law will be doing all the side dishes, she is making devilled eggs, twice baked potatos, & stuffing.

I am hosting the Thanksgiving dinner in my home this year! I am super excited, because it will be the first year my boyfriend & i have hosted Thanksgiving in our house as a couple. We are having my BF's Mom, brother, Sister in law, 5 nieces, and my own sister is coming up as well.

Last year i was very ill on Turkey Day. :( And since we are splitting cooking duties with my boyfriends sister in law, less work for me! Couldnt ask for more, lol. it will be a very blessed day, albeit somehwat chaotic i am sure, with 5 adults & 6 kids.

Not looking forward to the clean-up the day after, but it will be well worth it for a wonderful holiday spent with family.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2011 6:55:35 PM
I'm a little late commenting. This morning (Thanksgiving Day) I listened to Bobby Flay answer the same question about brining. He's in the "no-brining" camp. He explains it like this....all brining does is make turkey juicier that is overcooked to begin with. I don't think it's necessary...but if you have the time, and have a history of dry birds...by all means give it a go.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Let's talk turkey......and stuff(ing).