Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > When does physical attraction stop being so important?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CompuG8r
Msg: 351
When does physical attraction stop being so important?Page 15 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)

Maybe I'm just not ready to give up that passion that comes from a strong physical attraction to your partner but at the same time, I know that we all gradually lose our physical attractiveness. How and when do you start giving up the need for that and learning to find that passion in other areas? Or do you?

If a strong physical attraction is important to you, that's okay.

For me it's a combination of attractions.
There has to be some physical attraction, mental attraction and common interests.

If the cover is important to you that's cool, but it may mean an extended search.
I suggest that you have an equal emphasis on the more internal attractions.
Unless of course you're not looking for anything serious.

In that case, throw caution to the winds and get jiggy with the handsome men you come across.

If you take this course of action, be careful out there because, "...You never know what you're gonna get."
 arts, dining, music, w/u
Msg: 352
When does physical attraction stop being so important?
Posted: 4/15/2011 7:29:35 AM
Wooby, you are ever so wise. I have wondered when does one begin to look for commonality and not for looks alone. Or for that one that will save them. It may be time to begin a topic on with the somewhat older members on POF and ask them what if anything they regret now when it came to choosing someone. Of course I doubt that many would listen to the advice.
 Vannili
Msg: 353
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2011 9:04:38 AM
Personal attraction is important and pleasing personality at any age..
Our hottiness ( physical) are over when we reach middle age,but our charisma is strong attraction to others,
 ladyc4
Msg: 354
Posted: 4/18/2011 11:15:05 AM

I have wondered when does one begin to look for commonality and not for looks alone.

And I am wondering, is it COMMON for people to forge serious pair-bond relationships on "looks alone"? REALLY?
IDK about anybody else, but I always look for commonality/compatibility/values/personality traits right along with a feeling of physical attraction( which isn't just some generalized criteria based on the looks of media stars! )
When does "one" look for commonality? This one-me- has ALWAYS looked for that in contemplating a serious pair-bond relationship. Physical attraction not backed up with commonality/emotional resonance/trust, I don't let develop into seriousness.
Cindy O
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 355
Posted: 4/18/2011 7:40:44 PM
three of my last four relationship tries (two of which have taken), were with peeps without pictures.

Before ever joining PoF I met a fellow through a telephone type dating service. I seriously think not having a pic of one another provided for a lot of stimulating conversation..using one's imagination was part of the mystic. When we finally decided it was time to meet face to face...it was met with the greatest of anticipation on both our parts.
Unfortunately, it didn't work out for us and looks had nothing to do with it. He had a dazzling smile and the cutest dimples. I found myself trying to make him smile all night..Lol
We went out one more time but I knew in my heart he was still healing and no where ready to start dating and I didn't want to be the "rebound" person.

If we don't pay attention to what is *really* important, we won't get it. Just sayin'

Ah Miss wooby....you are my Maya Angelou *hugs*

...mae
 valenciacityx
Msg: 356
Posted: 4/19/2011 6:20:11 PM
when you can no longer trade in, up, or across and your funds wont off set your own lack of looks.
 northwoods57
Msg: 357
Posted: 4/27/2011 4:55:54 PM
it doesn't
I work out, watch my diet, and I like the looks I get from the ladies, no matter what age.
If a man feels old, lets himself go, thats his problem. A woman like a man that can hold his own when talking.
I still get a hard one, when a lady approaches me...yes, contrary to popular belief,
 idahosun
Msg: 358
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2011 10:49:32 PM
At this point in my life I have to say NEVER! I can be a great friend to anyone, but to have a relationship which includes sex, baby, he's gotta have something going on that is attractive to me. Which probably explains why I am still on here posting this kind of junk on a Friday night
 nativerock
Msg: 359
Posted: 5/14/2011 10:56:46 AM

For me it's a combination of attractions.
There has to be some physical attraction, mental attraction and common interests.

For me as well.. There is a lot to attraction and would want all 3 of these to feel I have met the right gent..

nativerock
 out_doors
Msg: 360
Posted: 5/14/2011 3:09:24 PM
Physical attraction is still important to me. A man doesn't have to look like a supermodel. But he should be at least somewhat physically attractive to me.
 UnixGrand
Msg: 361
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2011 10:15:22 PM
Ok.... here is a explanation. Men usually act 10 years younger than they really are. Women act the age they are at. This would explain women who are attracted to younger men, but when you get that younger man.... be prepared for someone will act 10 years younger than their age. Does this make sense?
 UnixGrand
Msg: 362
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2011 10:20:18 PM
One question which I think is important.... Do women like an equal amount of mental stimulation (50%), compared with an equal amount of physical stimulation(50%)? What percentage out of 100% is important to you?
 coastalkari
Msg: 363
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2011 11:45:07 PM
yes I would say 50% of each is great.

However I think most women are attracted to a lot of other things besides just looks. They become attracted to the whole person, not the looks, if they actually get to know him a little bit.
 myheart63
Msg: 364
Posted: 5/15/2011 4:26:10 AM
I haven't really had this problem. Sometimes a guy looks okay on here and in person he's is extremely attractive because of his personality or his beliefs. Sometimes he looks great here and then when we meet, he doesn't have teeth or he's really negative.
Every once in a while I get a bit sad that no one will know me again as the hot 20 year old that I used to be and see me with those eyes but it doesn't last long. For me, what's in a man's heart is what matters. I would say that if you give someone a chance, you may be surprised. Attractiveness is more than looks, the more you learn about someone the more attractive (or less attractive) they become.
 EastCS
Msg: 365
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2011 6:38:25 AM
You know you truly love, care and want some one in your life. when they are just as beautiful and wonderful in the morning as they were when you fell asleep the night before!
 poferette
Msg: 366
Posted: 5/15/2011 6:41:55 AM
Call me shallow. I don't care. I need and want a man I dream about. No he didn't just have it on the outside, it was on the inside too. God how I miss the whole package.
 UnixGrand
Msg: 367
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2011 11:05:34 AM
Wow..... I've actually always was with the most beautiful, and most popular women all my life. I find more problems with the most attractive women, than I do with the ones who are not super model status. Vanity is a big issue with everyone who has now gotten older. We all look in the mirror, and see ourselves like when we were in our 20's. It's not going to work that way anymore.

We all know that sometimes Ships sink in the sea. That goes for friendShips, relationShips, companionShips, and partnerShips. It's just the nature of the beast.
 poferette
Msg: 368
Posted: 5/15/2011 11:13:32 AM
Ummmm the men I find attractive on the outside and in aren't necessarily who other women find attractive. My friend told me when he and I broke up, I hope you find a cute guy next time. My opinion is and was he is gorgeous. Perfect body imo. Butttt yup, he had a problem I miss him. I hope to find someone equally if not more attractive than he was.
 UnixGrand
Msg: 369
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2011 11:19:37 AM
I truly hope you find who your are looking for. It would be nice if everyone did. With my past relationship gone, I have moved on. Yes she had a Master's Degree, and was so beautiful..... But it did not work out. I think that the mental stimulation is just as important as the physical stimulation. Without both, it's a sinking ship. Also.... When I say physical, I do not mean looks. Physical stimulation would be the sexual side.
 Janet_Always
Msg: 370
Posted: 5/15/2011 4:00:32 PM
Physical attraction is always important. What you find attractive may change over the years... at my age, no turkey neck is pretty damn hot!
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 371
Posted: 5/15/2011 4:55:53 PM

What you find attractive may change over the years... at my age, no turkey neck is pretty damn hot!

So at least my goose is not cooked yet!

But the peanut gallery may think twice! lol
 johnny2down
Msg: 372
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2011 5:48:27 AM
Oh man..I was looking at the women the other night at the karaoke venue I occasionally attend. On this particular night, the crowd was mostly people in their late fifties to early seventies.

Every woman but one was obese. The men weren't much better, but were still not as heavy as the women.

That's one thing I will never settle for. What a complete and total turn off. And if I had a mate, I wouldn't want her to settle for that in me.
 UnixGrand
Msg: 373
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2011 11:26:46 AM
It's also important to stay healthy for yourself. Never mind other people. This way when you get older, your not at the doctor's all the time. Or a guinea pig for these pharmaceutical companies. Remember.... Doctor's Practice medicine. That means they still don't know the side effects from these drugs on the market. But they will soon after they finish testing the sick people.
 FMaj7
Msg: 374
Posted: 5/16/2011 4:17:32 PM

Who says it does? I think physical attraction is one element we look for in a mate up until we are laying on our death bed alone chanting at least I didn't I settle.
 arts, dining, music, w/u
Msg: 375
Posted: 5/17/2011 7:43:55 AM
But how shallow with physical attraction are we? Describe the worst that you will date. How heavy? How short? How tall? How about long hair vs. short hair (this one is for men and women). Gray hair OK? Facial hair not a problem? Moles, warts, and scars? Small ones vs. large ones (this is for both men and women but applies to different areas). How about big ears, big noses, little to no lips (some things grow as we age while others shrink)?

Who thinks there should be criteria similar to the Meet Me that is a Never Show me This Profile Again? This might be a way to diminish the clutter. Then move on to age, education, likes, dislikes, children vs. no children, career, income, community, and all of the other criteria. Finally, all of those that we have no interest would appear. Those that matched our search would be few, BUT they would be the fish we'd want to contact and meet. They would also be the people that wanted to meet us. This would be an app I'd pay to use.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > When does physical attraction stop being so important?