Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > When does physical attraction stop being so important?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CarpeOmnia
Msg: 376
view profile
History
When does physical attraction stop being so important?Page 16 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
I don't think physical attraction ever does stop being important. This doesn't mean that one is being shallow about it, or super picky. I don't think I could label exactly what I found to be physically attractive with regards to height, facial hair, weight or size of ears etc...it's just a reaction I have to the person I am sitting across the table from.
I have dated and found attractive, men that were shorter than myself to men that were 6' 5". Also men that were 250 lbs to men that were lighter than myself. I've been attracted to men that were clean shaven as well as goatee'd, bald and long haired.

It's all individual. But the physical attraction has to be there. I can't see how I could get naked with a guy where it didn't exist, no matter how old I got.
 arts, dining, music, w/u
Msg: 377
When does physical attraction stop being so important?
Posted: 5/17/2011 12:55:45 PM
But at this point in time in your life what is deemed attractive? What search criteria do we utilize?
 CarpeOmnia
Msg: 378
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2011 1:17:51 PM
Besides what I already stated, at this stage of my life what I deem attractive has alot to do with how well the man has looked after himself, health-wise and mental-wise into middle-age. I find many men my age have totally let themselves go....just like men complain that women have done. I don't want to be their nurse/care-giver right off the giddy-up. I would like them to be able to keep up to me:)
Health, vigor and a good attitude is very attractive to me at this point in my life.

This thread only addressed physical attraction and for search criteria I utilized in this area, I guess the age parameters is the only one I have on my profile that is specific .
After that it would be the pretty picture that each man has put up of himself. I look to see if I find it attractive to me. For instance...I looked on your profile at your pictures and found your pictures to be attractive. Next would be reading your whole profile to see if the attitude increases or decreases my initial reaction to your picture.
I have been messaged by men with gorgeous pictures...yet their profile turned up the "yuck" factor and I have by-passed them.

Until I am sitting across the table from a person, I won't truely know if I would be physically attracted or not to them.
 UnixGrand
Msg: 380
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2011 5:38:01 PM

Besides what I already stated, at this stage of my life what I deem attractive has alot to do with how well the man has looked after himself, health-wise and mental-wise into middle-age. I find many men my age have totally let themselves go....just like men complain that women have done. I don't want to be their nurse/care-giver right off the giddy-up. I would like them to be able to keep up to me:)
Health, vigor and a good attitude is very attractive to me at this point in my life.

This woman speaks the truth. I would not want to be a burden on anyone.
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 381
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2011 6:12:13 PM
But at this point in time in your life what is deemed attractive? What search criteria do we utilize?

Physical attraction only opens the door. Once in, we begin to evaluate the personality. As far as physical attraction on a dating web site two items can speak loads:
1. Up to date facial picture
2. Up to date full body picture
If the photographs are real, undoctored and up to date they would speak louder than any profile description can. Unfortunately many men and women are unwilling to supply these types of photographs.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 382
Posted: 5/25/2011 12:36:19 AM

How about "Does he/she turn me on?"
It's as simple as it ever was...
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 383
Posted: 5/25/2011 6:20:08 AM
I evaluate the personality with the looks.
Attractive to me on fist sight is great,but when they open the mouth and start talking..the magnetism goes up or down.

RAPIDLY.

I also am not attracted initially to the norm of what MOST women want.

I don't care about height.
Beards do not turn me off if it fits the face and is well kept.
Short hair/long hair/no hair..it depends on the man.
How he articulates himself in conveying what he means..is very attractive.

Someone that openly expresses what he wants in a non negative manner.

Physical attraction is important.

The interjection of the word so in your op..is the kicker.

If it means going gaga over his looks and being mesmerized at a first glance with no verbal interaction.."So" kind of goes.

Yes I just confused myself.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 384
Posted: 5/25/2011 6:51:29 AM

Attractive to me on fist sight is great,but when they open the mouth and start talking..the magnetism goes up or down.

RAPIDLY.

Well peps, when it gets that bad,duct tape would be in order.

A person voice, if & when in gear,can make or break the mo0d of attraction,quite fast.......

op, physical attraction imo, never stops, but a misguided pie-hole, might make you run the other way.
 c_deacon
Msg: 385
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2011 8:31:14 AM
The combination of looks and personality is what creates that physical attraction and chemistry.....and one must be there with the other, or you just have a pick up, and/or friend!

cd..........
 UnixGrand
Msg: 386
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2011 11:25:53 AM
In this vain world we've all created, people are looking for the LOOKS. I think the minority look for the personality. Doesn't matter how great you look, when you get older.... it all sags if you don't take care of it. Or use a Plastic Surgeon. I think the personality is what counts. I've had the LOOKERS, and they have all been LOSERS.
 Kitten189
Msg: 387
Posted: 5/30/2011 1:17:59 AM
A lot of people initially are attracted by looks but if that's all they've got and nothing else,then,it wont last,imo.
I went on a few dates with a dropdead gorgeous looking man but there was no mental connection,so,i dumped him.
And,im just ordinary looking
*shrug*
 Pingshooter
Msg: 388
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2011 7:16:26 AM
I was a 'hard body' for a long time. I am not anymore, nor do I expect to find the women of my age, the same they were when younger. Some maybe, but not the vast majority.

I am attracted to the person.

But, the bottom line is this..people are lovely in the eye of the beholder.

Immediate attraction is important, and if the person is liked for other qualities, that allow the two people to go further then clothed attraction..so be it..it will all work out just fine.
 poferette
Msg: 389
Posted: 5/30/2011 5:26:57 PM
On here, I look at the picture, if they are attractive I read what they wrote, if I like what they wrote, then email, then phone, and if all that goes well, you meet. It has worked a couple times for me. I don't know if this last time the feelings were totally mutual, but that is life. I enjoyed myself and was impressed with the physical attraction. Yes, there was mental too. It all clicked imo. But I guess I'll find out if date no. 2 doesn't happen.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 390
Posted: 6/1/2011 2:28:07 PM
uni I swear I am not stalking you BUT

We all look in the mirror, and see ourselves like when we were in our 20's.

^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe YOU do..I think where the hell did that fawking Victorias Secret model go?LOL
I pick apart little things no one but me sees.

If I didn't have to trim nose hairs that came from GAWD knows where..I would throw that magnifying mirror out.

I know a lot of beautiful women 45-60 and they do not think they compare to their younger self by any means..In fact most are not aware how beautiful they are NOW because they still compare themselves to the younger version of themselves..

I will agree most people who make you go flip flop on first sight can be a bit "spoiled".
Beautiful people are treated different from childhood and seem to expect it unless like some went from

Pippi Longstocking or Little Lotta ,then bloom in the teens into being striking.

Every kid should be a bit ugly or chubby for a humility and empathy point of view.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 391
Posted: 6/1/2011 4:32:41 PM

I know a lot of beautiful women 45-60 and they do not think they compare to their younger self by any means..In fact most are not aware how beautiful they are NOW because they still compare themselves to the younger version of themselves..

Yes, & like every thing else,with age your character is more prominent.Tell me if i'm wrong.

uni I swear I am not stalking you BUT

uni, better lose that dago tee! lol & now where is "Rocky Balboa" when we need him, as he was hovering over Adrianne dressed like that,in Rocky One!
 UnixGrand
Msg: 392
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2011 6:59:40 PM

uni, better lose that dago tee! lol & now where is "Rocky Balboa" when we need him, as he was hovering over Adrianne dressed like that,in Rocky One!

YO ADRIAN!
 DC1346
Msg: 393
Posted: 6/1/2011 11:45:14 PM

I really don't understand why so much emphasis is put in age ...

I joined match.com a couple of weeks ago and have been winked at by three or four young women who are in their late 20's to early 30's. I don't know why they contacted me. Although I was flattered, I ignored them. At 50 years of age, I'd rather be with someone who's shared some of my life's experiences. For me, there is also the issue of maturity.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 394
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2011 6:01:49 AM
Its a common practice on the pay sites to have a crop of attractive younger women who wink/contact men who have just joined in exchange from some kind of benefits, like free membership or actual payments. That way you think you are popular with the ladies right off the bat. If you keep up your membership, periodically you will continue to receive such contacts.

Computers....marvelous machines.....
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 395
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2011 12:25:10 PM

How about "Does he/she turn me on?"
It's as simple as it ever was...

This seems to bring things down to the basics. While each person's tastes vary if one is not attracted then one is not attracted.
 Mountainlovin
Msg: 396
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2011 5:46:54 AM
I think as we age the God given looks are much less important. What becomes attractive for me is what that person has done with their life. If you've had 20 years post high school of adult life, I expect a mate to have expanded their talents. Internet dating sites like POF allows you to search by profile and not just faces. I'm far more interested in what makes a person tick, how they respond to situations, what their interests are, how much physical and mental endurace they are capable of and how they would fit me. A person need not have model good looks to be extremely attractive. It about what they project and not what they reflect.
 marinawantsadate
Msg: 397
Posted: 6/16/2011 5:08:47 PM
When a man worships the ground I walk on and treats me with respect; shows me love and pays attention to me. When I am his world, and he is good to me in bed.
 jackfouru
Msg: 398
Posted: 6/17/2011 2:56:30 PM

When a man worships the ground I walk on

I know you are being facetious, at least I hope you are, but there are probably not a small number of women looking for men who worship the ground they walk on. I suspect those women will remain single for a long, long time.
 mme_butterfly
Msg: 399
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2011 10:30:09 PM
I find the profile pictures distracting; the men my age look about a 100 years old although they're probably pleasant enough looking in real life.
I find that men I like are attractive and it takes awhile to to determine if I like a fella enough to find him attractive.
That's a bit out of sync with prevailing male opinions here where chemistry is expected at first sight.
 Penpal46
Msg: 400
Posted: 6/18/2011 10:35:21 PM
When I decide I don't ever want to have sex again is when attraction loses importance. In other words when I am Dead! Physical attraction is necesary to prime the pump and make you want physical contact. Otherwise you may as well just stay friends. The problem is that too many men let themselves go and the ones that are still in good shape are either taken, gay or not interested in a committed relationship.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > When does physical attraction stop being so important?