Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > When does physical attraction stop being so important?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ted61
Msg: 372
When does physical attraction stop being so important?Page 19 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Youth and everything to do with youth, the unlined skin, energy, etc, etc. is a very desirable commodity in our society. It has been proven Attractive people get added benefits in life like better job offers, better starting salaries, and other perks. I don't think physical attraction ever becomes less important. Look at the money older people spend for plastic surgery to look more attractive.

But fame and money also enter into the equation. Look at some of the plain and outright ugly (kieth richards) who have fantastic looking girlfriends and wives.
 ActiveOneinRacine
Msg: 373
When does physical attraction stop being so important?
Posted: 9/6/2011 4:10:41 PM
It never stops, there has to be an attraction to even start. But for me it not as important, but he cant be fat & ugly. I will take your average Joe any day! Unfortunately I find guys still put WAY to much emphasis on it yet; even when they're not all that good looking.
 femaleandflirty
Msg: 374
Posted: 9/7/2011 12:30:59 AM
I think that physical attraction is always important in dating. Why bother otherwise.
That wow factor that is chemistry may be rarer as we age but I think that the excitement has to be there and then we can build the relationship on other qualities.
Some people settle for less but not me. I dont need a man to be happy and would only bother with a relationship when there is pizzazz and sizzle. His voice is the main attraction always and the way he treats me and if he actually listens then it is all part of the package. It amuses me that men with huge guts, balding and wrinkled want a hotter young woman always.. That wont change....I agree that being fit and healthy looking is always preferable in either sex.

Vertical_Horizon
Msg: 375
Posted: 9/13/2011 9:08:33 PM
It doesn"t....
 timestandstillfla
Msg: 376
Posted: 9/18/2011 8:18:57 AM
hmmmmm......it's not soooooooooooooooo
important but Medusa doesn't cut it for me...
 MagikMan59
Msg: 377
Posted: 9/18/2011 10:12:43 AM
After millions of years of evolution, I don't think it does. I think what we find attractive my change and expand over the years, but never totally go away. The women I found attractive in the past, are still attractive to me, but I'm also attracted to women now that I wouldn't have been in my past. I still want a woman that I find attractive, to find me attractive as well. Personality and how well we get along is most important but I still want that mutual attraction factor with whomever I meet.
 brownie360
Msg: 378
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2011 4:02:52 PM
Physical attraction hit the very bottom of my list by the time I was about 28. Seriously...looks are a bonus and nothing to do with character.
 Natgoat
Msg: 379
Posted: 10/23/2011 4:27:18 PM
Just before The Eulogy...!!
 Spyhop Maui
Msg: 380
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2011 6:10:19 PM
Aloha, I know exactly what you mean. I am just finishing a wonderful year long relationship with a wonderful women. We get along great but have no real attraction for each other. We both decided that we want that old flame back in a relationship. After a year we have not been able to kindle it. So off we go looking for some one else. We are both in our 50's both are attractive people. But no chemistry. When does this chemisrty stop being a factor? All I can say not in the 50's.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 381
Posted: 10/24/2011 8:09:03 PM
A) When you're blind

B) When you're 6 feet under
 peatown
Msg: 382
Posted: 10/30/2011 3:11:14 PM
Uh, never.
if it's been important to you your entire adult life, hard to imagine it will subside no matter what you tell yourself. What qualifies as physical attraction may evolve as we get older but we like what we like.

I can't imagine I would ever want to be with someone if I didn't find beauty in their form, no matter how old we are.

I can't just snap my fingers and become a different person just because I'm getting older.
 cutiecaliente
Msg: 383
Posted: 10/30/2011 8:43:51 PM
you do what it is comfortable for you... attraction is important... it is different for everybody
 VirtuallyLove
Msg: 384
Posted: 11/5/2011 8:43:10 AM
It was a question I wrestled with after my divorce. Though I thought I was fairly decent-looking, I was very uncertain about whom I might attract or be attracted to. My ex-wife was beautiful and slim, but maybe I'd just gotten lucky? But then my next (and most recent) relationship was beautiful and slim as well.

Now I'm wondering - should I be more flexible about fitness, as well as about looks? Thus far I have felt no romantic interest in women who haven't kept their bodies in good shape (which usually but not always translates into "slim") and don't have what I'd call at least fairly attractive facial features.

I'm fairly sure that one esthetic I won't be changing as I age is fitness. It's not just about looks - it says something about a person's character when they eat healthy, don't smoke, and exercise regularly. I don't foresee ever being with someone who doesn't care about physical fitness, so at this point I'm focusing more on profiles where the women describe themselves as "athletic," even if they don't look like skinny fashion models. One thing I don't understand are women who have beautiful faces - there's at least one of those on this thread, you know who you are! - but let their bodies go (though really not sure what a size 12 looks like).

I almost feel like people with attractive faces have a moral obligation to make their bodies match them. And really, since with a little work that's doable, why the heck don't you??
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 385
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2011 11:05:41 AM
Mr. VLove,

I know what you mean. Personally I do not think putting aside the fit requirement is doable. I swim well over a mile 3 mornings a week, regularly walk miles at a time, love to bike, hike, work in the yard, etc. My son's mom is still a relatively slender woman who regularly plays competitive tennis and the women I have dated in the past have all been athletes and educated. Do you think I have a type?

I have to WORK to keep my weight down. I have the appetite of my teenage son; without his metabolism. If I can do it for my well being and my health why should I not have a desire for a woman who feels the same. My thoughts on this are at least two fold: I anticipate my next long term relationship, Lord willing, WILL be my last and if we are on the same page health wise, lifestyle wise, etc., then I am better off ( I DO know my weaknesses); and two, physical intimacy can be refreshing and fun, but not if a goodly portion of my exertion goes to maneuvering a woman who is overly massive. I am not a chubby chaser. And last, there is something eminently satisfying about holding a well toned body that grabbing a handful of fat does not provide.
 pretzelman60
Msg: 386
Posted: 11/5/2011 4:02:41 PM
If there is no physical attraction, why would anyone bother? I don't care about the age, I think you would have to realize that this is the last person you will see at night, and the person you will wake up with, possibly for the rest of your life. There has to be a physical connection there. Or maybe I got it all wrong!

There may be other things that one places above "good looks" or "sex appeal". Intelligence, charm. money. power, etc. may be more important. B ut I still believe there has to be some kind of physical connection. That is unless there is another agenda operating.

JMO
 pretzelman60
Msg: 387
Posted: 11/5/2011 4:14:24 PM
Trustinlove:
"Trouble is...I have found that men, no matter how old or what they themselves look like want to find a 30 year old size 5. I am a good and loving woman with no baggage, financially and emotionally stable but I am a size 12."

When will you and others like you quit saying MEN!? Why don't you try SOME MEN? Or MANY men, or even MOST men? We are not all alike. FYI..I don't like thin women. As my profile states, I prefer women to be "fluffy" When I lay my head on a woman's belly. I want softness. If I wanted rock hard abs, I'd find a guy! it might interest you to know, also, that I have always preferred women my age or even older.

So..please quit saying MEN. Anyway, at my age now, most of the "older" women are in nursing homes, and staff has been alerted!

JMO
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 388
Posted: 11/5/2011 5:08:25 PM
^^^ True! I'd settle for a size 8 25 year old...
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 389
Posted: 11/5/2011 5:40:17 PM

True! I'd settle for a size 8 25 year old...

Except for the fact that you wouldn't be settling.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 390
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2011 6:03:21 PM

True! I'd settle for a size 8 25 year old...

Except for the fact that you wouldn't be settling.

Owww..that even stung me..and I wasn't even in this thread..whew..
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 391
Posted: 11/5/2011 8:50:56 PM
but let their bodies go (though really not sure what a size 12 looks like).

Marilyn Monroe was a size 14.

professora
Msg: 392
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2011 5:01:05 PM
OP- when we are dead
 Iascaireachta_arĂ­s
Msg: 393
Posted: 11/15/2011 9:58:26 PM

I almost feel like people with attractive faces have a moral obligation to make their bodies match them.

whoa...that stings a bit.
 chocolate.diamond
Msg: 394
Posted: 11/15/2011 10:51:50 PM
When you realize they will get old n baggy just like u.
When you realize he/she is manmade.
When they start looking like joan ri___.
When that cutey ur starring at says: ma 'am, or sir and refuse to call u by ur first name eventho u insist and says: my parents taught me to respect my elders. Rofl
 ohenryx
Msg: 395
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2011 6:24:13 AM

WoobyToodsday said:

but let their bodies go (though really not sure what a size 12 looks like).

Marilyn Monroe was a size 14.

Really? I didn't know that. Okay, I've changed my mind. What was good enough for John F. Kennedy is good enough for me!!!
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 396
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2011 5:50:37 PM
physical attraction is always important. not just what is between the legs (or armpits for some of you), but a good part between the ears :) in a ltr, a lot is how you are treated and if you feel you are being taken for granted in order to sustain that attraction. you need a best friend and someone to watch (not wash) your back!

but not ALL best friends are physically attractive or you'd have yourself quite a dilemma, eh?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > When does physical attraction stop being so important?