Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RadioMark
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Men lying about their ages...no it's not just womenPage 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I never really gave any thought to lying in my profile, and it never really dawned on me that apart from weight, people would lie much about physical characteristics, if only because it's all going to be obvious the moment you meet. After I met a few women over time after first encountering each other on the web, there was one consistent occurance, whether we hit it off or not...they were all surprised by how tall I was.

This struck me as odd, since I've never viewed myself as particularly tall. I'm 5'11 to 6 foot every time I'm measured. That's a bit above the national average, but not much. Apparently though, it wasn't my height itself that was "tall" to them, it was the fact that I actually AM 5'11 to 6'. So many other guys had addded a few inches to their height online and then turned out to, obviously, be shorter in real life that they assumed I was lying too, and would be shorter. My actually being my stated height honestly suprised them.

My profile, since realizing this, bears these words: "I'm 5'11 (and a REAL 5'11, not the little short lying internet guy version) and 185 pounds."
 Blakkardaberry
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Men lying about their ages...no it's not just women
Posted: 7/26/2009 11:39:01 PM
Heck lie to me about your age just make darn sure you use a recent photo I can work with a lie I can't work with father time. rofl
 parklabrea
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2009 12:14:46 AM
The OP complains about guys who want to attract younger women. In the meantime, when she was 36, she dated a guy who she thought was 29. Naughty, naughty.
 thetennisgal
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/15/2010 10:01:51 AM
Depends on how big the lie is. If you're 70, then dont say you are 20.
 .dej
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2010 12:27:10 PM

This post was relevant and clever until I noted that the thread is nearly 3 years old.
 .dej
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2010 2:08:49 PM
No, it would've been relevant whether people lied or not.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2010 7:20:46 AM
(slapping forehead)..whhhaa..

People lie?

Nooo.

Gee..those folks I came into contact with, for 30+ years..some of them..they were lying?!?
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/21/2010 8:23:21 AM

I see women's profiles in which they have the wrong age in their information area, but in their profile state that they made a mistake while filling out their account and can no longer change their age... Then they give what is supposed to be their real age.

I assume it is just a ploy to have themselves added to younger people's match lists and generate more traffic to their profile by the younger people they wish to date. Men probably do it for the same reason. Who cares really? If they are attractive enough to pull it off, they are very rare.

I date who I'm attracted to... regardless of age. Lying about it to get more attention on a dating site doesn't bother as much as, let's say, being told they aren't married when they are... Yes, Ladies. Women do that, too.

"made a mistake" ...errr, right.

as if, it's sooo difficult to click on the right year of birth in the drop-down menu..you need a PhD in rocket science & have to work at NASA for that one, folks..

POF even allows you 2 weeks after setting up your profile to change your D/O/B in case you made a 'mistake' like that..

even had some people say they made a mistake typing in their actual age, or they put in their age 3 or 4 years ago when they set up profile, that's why it's wrong

Duuh..too bad POF goes by D/O/B, not a fixed age you type in -calculates age from current date - date one entered as D/O/B..

so, after being asked/challenged about their first lie they lie again for cover..NOT a 'good sign' IMO..
 arwen52
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2010 8:21:09 PM
Yeah. I had one guy say he was 57 and he was actually 63. I found out just before I was supposed to meet him and called it off. He whined, "You have no idea what it's like to be rejected for your age!" Yet the guy had restrictions on his profile that limited those contacting him to be 25-45.

Another guy complained to me in a phone conversation that women posted photos that made them look younger and more slender than they actually were. I said yeah, I keep finding out guys are lying about their age. Later, he called me back and sheepishly admitted that the age stated in his profile said he was 50 but he was actually 52. He said he'd forgotten to update his age. I didn't tell him that POF doesn't ask for your age, it asks for your birth date and updates automatically. When I met him, I'm sure he was probably at least 60. He wasn't my type anyway. He was kind of boring.

The closer I get to 60, the more I'm tempted to lie about my age. However, I take pride in that people tell me I'm a person of integrity and I want to maintain that. I try as best I can to represent myself honestly and accurately. I am looking for a man who is doing the same.

BTW, what is it about those people who made a "mistake" putting their age in their profile never make a "mistake" that makes them older than they actually are? Just wonderin'.
 arwen52
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2010 3:16:42 PM
When we meet people in social situations, we have a lot of information about them even if we lack other information. We can see what they look like, how they behave, how they interact with others, and how they interact with us. Although people go outside of it, most people will pursue people close to their age and if they don't, it's obvious. The guys in their mid to late 40s & into their 50s that pursue women in their 20s - it's *obvious* there's a significant difference. Or the young guys who pursue older women. Or the older women who pursue younger guys. Yeah, people often end up being older or younger than we thought they were, but obviously we were attracted to them as people. The age may or may not make a difference to us.

Yes, a person can lie to us about the profession, marital status, etc. They can even lie to us about their age but if what they tell us is really out of synch with what we see, it isn't going to work.

Online, we have very, very little information to go on. All we have is what the person tells us. And it's very, very easy to lie. Apparently, many people succomb to that temptation and many feel completely unabashed about it.

I understand why people do it but for me it totally disqualifies them. If they are that insecure about themselves, if they think it's okay to lie for their personal gain, what are they going to be like in relationship? If they list their age as one thing and then print a "disclaimer" in their profile, that is meant to lie to get around someone's preferences.

I've had guys who did that contact me. They have their excuses. I tell them that when they delete their profile and put up one that is honest they can get back in touch with me. I don't reject people for their age, but I do reject people I know from in front are liars.
 DragNFlyBuzzez
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2010 12:59:21 PM
well, if you want long term with a lady, trust is everything................

the age thing on profiles are funny,
statements like ohhh I am really 5 years older than my age states, I did not know how to change it.

I guess what I cannot understand, What is with 10-15 yr old pictures on your profile?
If you were a knock out 10yrs ago and did not age well, when I sit with you, am I supposed to pretend your 10yrs younger? I have physically changed in a year, I try to put up new pics every 6 months. False advertising on this type of site is kiss of death.
same fate as separated
 arwen52
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2010 9:14:20 PM
^^^^^ Except if a woman asks, "Do these pants make me look fat?"

Best response is to fall on the floor and feign a heart attack.
 sexyisback!
Msg: 50
Posted: 11/18/2010 11:16:11 AM
many posts on here seem to be very condescending or patronizing towards women.

basically, " oh, women, those SILLY CREATURES! we couldn't expect them to do anything like actually TELL THE TRUTH about their age.."

why is that, exactly?

different standards for women, v. men?
 arwen52
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2010 8:35:05 PM
The closer I get to 60, the more tempted I am to lie about my age.

On the other hand, I just had a cute 30 year old guy take me out to dinner and dancing for my birthday. He's a friend from dancing and he said he wanted to make sure I had a nice birthday. What a sweetie! Made my day. It's one birthday I'll certainly remember.
 platypus_man
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2010 1:09:16 PM
Ahhh, liars. We're all liars, we just vary what we're dishonest about. As Chris Rock said, "Your hair isn't naturally that color or shape. Your skin isn't that color (you use make-up). Your eyes aren't that color (contacts)/ or you need glasses (again, contacts). Your breasts aren't that big or that shape (the miracle of the wonder bra). You're not that tall (heels). Your butt doesn't look like that (again, heels). And you're certainly not naturally hairless all over. Girl, everything about you is a lie and you expect me to tell the truth?"

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear. Go by how the person looks, acts (especially towards people like servers that they don't have to treat nicely), and how they treat you. After all, a few years is not nearly as important as how much you like them or how nice they are to you, and how nice they are to be around.
JMHO.
 arwen52
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2010 3:05:12 PM

Ahhh, liars. We're all liars, we just vary what we're dishonest about. As Chris Rock said, "Your hair isn't naturally that color or shape. Your skin isn't that color (you use make-up). Your eyes aren't that color (contacts)/ or you need glasses (again, contacts). Your breasts aren't that big or that shape (the miracle of the wonder bra). You're not that tall (heels). Your butt doesn't look like that (again, heels). And you're certainly not naturally hairless all over. Girl, everything about you is a lie and you expect me to tell the truth?"

Well, my hair really is this color, I don't wear makeup, and I don't wear heels. But even if I did, you can clearly see that's the case.

Pretty cynical. "Everything about you is a lie . . . " Hogwash.

Yes, I expect you to tell the truth.
 Casper66
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2011 12:06:29 AM
A lie is a lie, doesn't matter if it's height, weight, being married or anything else of importance, people lie to get what they want without regard to the person they are lying too, not a good way to start a potential relationship. I don't lie about my age, I earned these years and life experience and I like where I'm at, those that I've caught lying I kick to the curb, don't want to hear any excuses about why they did it.
 ohenryx
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2011 6:01:03 AM
I have been here in the forums for some time, posting a little and reading a lot. The conventional wisdom seems to be that men lie about their ages, and their height. Women lie about their body shape and their age. I have not really experienced any lies about body shape, but I have definitely experienced the age thing. What usually trips them up is talking about their kids. If your daughter is 35, and you didn't have kids until you were 25, you are not 52 years old.

Doesn't matter, I guess. My experience seems to indicate that a little fibbing on the profile is no different than the exaggerations you expect to see on a resume.
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >