Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 livewirehere
Msg: 101
characteristics of a sociopath/psychopathPage 3 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
By the way polly, I meant to say that I'm sorry to hear you were also involved with such a person, because it really is psychologically stupifying, to say the least.... I feel for anybody who has been involved with such a person, but I've also learned about the "red flags" to watch for.... Life's twists and turns again......
 Polly_G
Msg: 102
characteristics of a sociopath/psychopath
Posted: 12/19/2005 3:14:01 PM
Thank you livewirehere. I can total emphathise with the feelings you are going crazy. The lies and the manipulations make you doubt your intuition. If you are someone who relies on intuition its like poking your eyes out.

I'm not actually sorry at this point anymore though. I learned more about myself in the years since this happened because of this that its helped me in a lot of areas of my life. Biggest lessons:

1. You teach people how to treat you. There is no justification for someone constantly violating your boundaries.
2. You HAVE to set boundaries with people and there has to be consequences when they cross those boundaries.
3. I am MUCH stronger than any of these people are. I wouldn't have been able to survive it if I wasn't. There is no way a lot of these people would be able to take what they were dishing out.
4. TALK TO YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY. I didn't want my friends and family to hate him so I tried to deal with it all on my own. By protecting him I was creating an atmosphere where there was no accountability for his actions.
5. Being a victim of abuse is a choice. That was a hard one for me to take. Because in my head I wasn't doing anything to encourage the behavior from a "normal person" but I was doing things that encouraged the behavior of a narcissist.
6. Lacking confidence is how you arm people like that. If I didn't already have low-self esteem he would not have been able to have such an affect on me. You have to work on your self-esteem...believing in your self is like creating a shield around you that these people can't penetrate.
7. There are a LOT more people out there who suffer from these disorders than I would like to believe. They walk and function in society, they are not murderers and killing puppies. They just walk around destroying people on a psychological level instead.
8. Psycholigical abuse actually has a worse impact than physical abuse. Physical abuse is more evident and you know its wrong immediately. Psychological abuse is a bit more insidious. You don't always know its even happening to you at first unless you learn to study the signs of it. In these relationships though the abuse actually escalates. I left before the physical abuse started but there were enough signs that this is where the relationship was heading. There was an increase in destruction around the house. I used to find the excuses for the destruction just amazing. My coffee table was smashed into splinters and the excuse given was "I was vaccumming and moved the table and it just fell apart that way". It's never their fault. He completely ransacked our apartment 3 times in fits of rages but it was always someone else's fault. They drove him to it.
9. These people do not deserve my pity nor my compassion.
10. Not everyone who abuses is a socio/psychopath. There are other disorders, including depression, which can mimick the symptoms of a narcissist. When someone is severely depressed they only think of themselves. Either way though, their mental issues are not your responsiblity. It's THEIRS. If you are there dealing with it for them they have no incentive to deal with the issues themselves. You are not "helping". The best way to help these people is to leave them.
11. Get support and help. Go into councelling, call your local women's shelter, and/or join a support group to deal with all the crap you have been put through.

Narcissists rarely commit suicide however, they will threaten it. Anyone who tries to tell you that you leaving will cause them to commit suicide is not taking responsiblity for their own actions. I have heard, more than a few unfortunately, tell me that they were staying because their ex had made threats of suicide. Once they did leave though I've never heard of anyone's ex's actually going through with it. Twice there were so called "attempts" at suicide but they were not real attempts. They were just enough to get them in a hospital in order to try to make their gf/bf to feel guilty enough to go back with them.

In fact, in both cases of the "attempts" the first person who was called was the ex. One called the ex while in the process of the attempt. They are looking for the person to run and save them. Don't give in to it.

My ex threatened it but never actually made an attempt. After awhile you get sick of the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome and feel like passing them the knife. That may sound harsh but its not when you are going through it. If they do contact you and you are really worried. Call the police and tell them to go check it out. Don't go yourself.

You also have to give yourself time to recover from a relationship like this. You have been damaged and are not healthy enough to hop right into another relationship. Its not fair to you or that person you are getting involved with. In fact, at a time like that you are prime bait for a narcissist and risk getting involved with another. They look for people who are going through a difficult time usually.

startmiup
Msg: 104
Posted: 12/30/2005 9:08:17 AM
The terms "Psychopath" & "Sociopath" while still commonly used are not longer diagnostic terms. The only diagnostic term today, which covers both of these (which were interchangeable) is "Antisocial Personality". These people may or may not know right from wrong...............they don't care!!! There is little or no conscience or concern for consequences. They are difficult to treat and do tend to NOT seek help. Some therapists can work with them. Every match of a patient, of any kind, to a therapist, is a fit, that involves many criteria. It does not always require sympathy or as therapists say "empathy". The therapist may see helping the person as a challenge. He or she is being paid. These are also motivations. Helping an antisocial person is also helping society and that can be a motivator. Helping them requires at least enough empathy in order to understand them. As they improve; struggle; and expose their vulnerabilities; the therapist will feel more empathy for them. If you are involved with someone who behaves this way (thinks only of their own needs and acts on them impulsively w/o regard for others or for consequences) get the hell away from them. If you are married to one, help them get into treatment.
 RSwindol
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2006 7:28:17 AM
I too have missed the point of this thread.

I find this type of stuff fascinating and often read about it, but I just can't figure out why someone would post it on here. Is it just for informative purposes? If so, then thank you for that tid bit of knowledge, but if there is a subtle reasoning behind this thread, I have failed to unearth it and perhaps my degree of intelligence should be questioned.

To the OP: When Diggy asked for the purpose of the thread, it was not to embarrass or belittle you, but simply to understand where you are coming from. You shouldn't attack her intelligence for inquiring. Doing so is juvenile and only suggests a lack of intelligence that you may posses. Besides, asking questions is how smart people learn.
 MasterBart
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2006 8:04:37 PM
Kinda funny thing about mental disorders. Say you take a class on psychology, and discuss mental disorders. One of the great challenges is avoiding the urge to see certain studied traits in yourself, and diagnose yourself as having some version of "WTF is wrong with me" syndrome.

My mom worked for a prominent psychiatrist in Houston for many years, and diagnosed one of my ex roommates as sociopathic. I got him a job where I was working; I ended up riding my bike to work frequently because even though we were supposed to ride together, my truck would be gone when I was ready to leave because he'd take it to visit people or take road trips. He'd skip work, get fired and rehired over and over because he had this overwhelming charisma and even hardnosed people just forgave him for everything. He'd run multiple girlfriends, and go on shopping sprees with their credit cards. This was him on a daily basis; totally impulsive, no restraint or worries about consequences, no concern for other's needs or property. And yet he could walk up to strangers and have them in the palm of his hand like they were old friends in just minutes. He was the master of guilt trips; blame him for anything, however reasonable, and he'd make you feel bad for opening your mouth.

So, that's my concept of a sociopath. I'm sure there are many people out there who's version of this condition (disease) is much worse.

--------------------

Just my .02; glad to discuss it, and I've no concern as to why this thread was started; I think it's great.

PS: SIIIIIIIID!! Haven't heard from you in forever! Whassup? How's life with Giggleparts?
 MasterBart
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2006 5:13:28 PM
Hmm, forum rules say no chatting, but...
Been working like a dog lately. I can't give up POF for too long of spells tho'.

OT: um... psychopaths... suck.

peace
 MasterBart
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2006 9:10:21 PM
Although I am not technically a moderator, I'm afraid I'm just gonna have to moderate and regulate. The same two people have been the only ones posting for some time, and this is against POF rules. Why are you two ladies arguing over whether or not others will listen to either of you if y'all are the only ones here?

And now, MasterBart shall issue decrees. No remorse, no regret, no sympathy or empathy; with only enough "feeling" sufficient to maintain a substandard erection. And considering I'm just some strange name and face over the internet, I relish diagnosi of mental impetulence. I'm crazy, just like what the used car salesman on late-night TV wishes he was. How many dead babies does it take to make a delicious smoothie? Hey, how many licks DOES it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

MasterBart commandeth thee... to a catfight! First, in undergarments, using pillows. Some hair pulling, rump-slapping, name-calling, ad pervertum. Next, all brazeirres shall be filled with yer summer's eve and used as a weapon. Take it from there, I wish to see bodily fluids and some well-placed subdermal hematobas.

Hmm, I've heard that if you put a bunch o' females in the same facility for long enough, they all start PMS'ing together. Guess it works on internet forums too, huh?

Diagnose that.
 MasterBart
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2006 10:22:31 PM
Hmmm... "paradigmistic"? Paradigm? Mystic? Is the "g" silent in paradigmistic?

And frankly I'm not that concerned over the hemoglobulin count in your vaginal discharge. You're blonde and I'm not putting my mouth on it, period. (Get it, period? Nevermind.) Brunettes taste better anyway.

But to answer your implied question... because we can. Because too many women spend too much time speaking, while changing their mind. Because no matter what we say, we're still wrong, and you're still talking. And we know it really gets yer goad when we mention the ol' monthly cycle, for any reason, especially if we can use it as a foundation with which to blame the fact that you're still talking, and we're still wrong. Because blaming your hormones is as worthless an excuse as anything.

Why still?

Because I'm just some bum on the internet who gets his kicks out of randomly interrupting others' pointless, belligerent debates.
Because I'm going bald.
Because soon my head will be as hairless as my pasty chest.
Because your profile says you're only interested in "the smart ones", yet it's full of illiterate babble.
Because I work a menial job and have no money.
Because I still live at home with my mother.
Because you're blonde.
Because cats frequently pee on my fresh laundry.
Because you think you'll find a boyfriend by calling yourself stupid.
Because no new 'Vette will truly compensate for my small penis.
Because.

Because I'm the Master and you're the minion, all made manifest simply by my saying so. Because I don't toss in random slurs for anyone's entertainment other than my own. Because dumb blondes get huffy when I make fun of their genitals, and there's no reciprocation.

Because I have no sympathy, no empathy, I delight in watching others squirm, I delight in watching myself squirm, and this is a thread on people with these symptoms, right?

Because I can type a novel's worth of pointless idiosyncrasities like this, and some shmuck will read it all and respond to it. I don't even know what "idiosyncrasities" means, and I don't care. Probably didn't spell it right anyhoo. And still don't care. Is "anyhoo" in the dictionary?

What was the question?
 gltfree
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2006 12:47:25 AM
The last guy I dated was a SOCIOPATH and honestly he fit ALL of these characteristics to a T!!!
 Polly_G
Msg: 116
Posted: 6/12/2006 2:20:13 AM
I've read a lot of these posts (admittedly not all). I guess I take issue with the whole fact saying you can't diagnose someone a psychopath if you aren't a doctor. If you are in a relationship with an actual psychopath, good luck with actually getting them diagnosed by a doctor!!

1. They won't tell the pscyhopath quite often that they are actually a psychopath
2. Psychopath's often lie and leave out really relative information during councelling sessions
3. Even if they were to get a diagnosis, chances are they aren't going to accept it.
4. You are not going to get YOUR sense of justice from their diagnosis. There are doctors are working on their behalf, not yours.
5. Before any of that actually happens you have to actually get them in to see someone which is very difficult.

I dated a psychopath and I wish I knew then what I knew now. When you are in that situation, its important to know they will most likely never change and you HAVE to get out of there or they will consume you. Don't deny yourself the information you need to protect yourself simply because you aren't a medical professional. There is a ton of research on this stuff and other disorders that if you learn it along with maladaptive behaviors you can kind of start to disguish between the two. Maladaptive behaviors can be damaging though just like psychotic ones if not treated though so are good to know as well.

I have learned so much about the signs on how to recognize abusers (and quite often psychopaths) that I don't really need a Dr. to tell me the person I'm dealing with is dysfunctioning on that level. I probably know more than a lot of GPs on the subject and could hold my own in a discussion with psychologist.

I do find people toss around the term "psychotic" too easily. After being in a relationship with one, its such a serious accusation to make that you should kind of know your stuff before making it. If someone is acting psychotic though, that's just as bad. Just don't label them if you don't know. If you are suspecting things like that though its a pretty big hint to get out of the relationship.
 gltfree
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2006 5:07:24 PM
OMG, I just signed up on this site yesterday. The only reason I signed up was because I wanted to read this particular forum that I found on the net under "sociopath dating". It wouldn't let me leave a comment unless I was a member. Today I logged in and saw the "sociopath" I was referring to on this site.... FUNNY. Why am I not surprised. He likes to go on different sites and prey on young women, especially those who are naive, needy and helpless. I truely feel sorry for his next victim, her name is Jenn and he met her on yahoo personals. Poor girl :( I hope he doesn't hack into her PC like he did mine.
 hello_kitty
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2006 9:12:58 AM
that's a useful site for info. thanks newguy106. "the mask of sanity" sums it up. almost imperceptible to the average person, these people are the most destructive hateful sick vicious predators out there. don't enable them and watch out for the pathological lies in a perpetual attempt to justify/rationalize lying cheating stealing using and abusing their victims, while usually playing the professional victim role to sway puplic opinion in their favour; just a wolf in sheeps' clothing.
 Huggablehottie
Msg: 120
Posted: 10/12/2006 8:04:01 PM
Did anyone mention, how someone gets this way?
Were they raised to be this way?
Were they raised to be narsicisstic?
I know someone who has almost every trait you mentioned!!!
 Mishka7325t5
Msg: 121
Posted: 10/13/2006 11:35:14 PM
Dear Group:

There is not a member here that I could not in someway show maladaptivity. None of us are perfect and can be falsly misconstruded in a way to show false maladaptivity. If you're going to base your future development ambitions with someone on the basis of the posibility that they may be maladaptive then you may as well never have a realtionship again in your life. As defined a maladaptive person exhibits traits that display injurious behavior to ones self, or to others or to society. From this I can say the following in a rediculous seniaro:

Everyone that smokes cigaretts or drinks alcohol is injuring self. If you don't drink you might be also be anti-social as most of the adult population does.
Everyone that drives a vehicle is endangering the lives of others.
Anyone that ends a relationship with another person is injuring that person.

What if a man drinks excessively gets in his car causing a major traffic accident killing three people. Is he anti-social ? NO : based on the description. But if he drank excessively because he had a deep hatred for a person or people then he would be anti-social. If he purposely and with intent depressed the gas peddle and not the brake because he wanted to cause bodily harm to others then your talking sociopath.

With regard to personality testing; There is not one test that has ever been developed that cannot be manipulated by the test taker. Anyone that may be anti-social, a sociopath or psychopath would easily manipulate the test because they are very intelligent people in most cases and always read between the lines and meanings. Yes if a person takes the test and answers the questions honestly then they work. These other maladaptive individuals are definately not honest and if fact very manipulative and elusive as well.

The DMS set of two books of refference. Base refference only. They are guides to assist the Psychologist in HELPING them determine maladaptivity not the diagnosis of it. Just as the Merck manual is the refference for physicians.

The general public, students and so on have a bad tendency to assertain maladaptivity falsly in order to defend their own position on an issue about a person they don't like generally. In an example : A man throws a rock at a passing car cursing loudly at the person inside. Where I live a person might see this and say something to someone with them to the effect " Hey! did you see that Buddy; that's a crazy M.F'er we better say away from that boy , he'll kill us all ". Yeah. Sound familiar ? LOL. Not to break any bubbles but the word crazy doesn't exist in Psychology. The word is maladaptive. You don't know why this man may have thrown a rock at this car. Perhaps it hit his 6 year old hit and took off ( Hit and Run ). If that were the case is the maladaptive or just expressing rage. I think the latter and doubt seriously that on a daily basis he would be throwing rocks at cars on a regular basis. You have to know WHY, how frequently , to what extent and many other factors in determining a diagnosis. Example 2: A mans wife and her lover are engaged in sex in the bedroom. The Husband comes home enters the room goes to the closet grabs a 357 magnum kills both of them and is then arrested in North Carolina. Is he going to jail for murder ? NOPE. Why State Law; crime of passion. Man entered the room and while in the same room obtained a weapon and in a fit of rage killed his wife and her lover. He'll be convicted of voluntary mansalughter caused by hurtful rage. He probably stay in a mental facility by court order for 3 to six months be freed and be required to seek periodic mental health care until released. Free Man. If that same man had entered the room then went back outside to acquire a weapon from his truck for example then returned to the room and killed his wife and her lover then he would have been convicted of 1st degree murder in North Carolina. LOL ;moral of the story; make sure there aren't any weapons in the same room you're fooling around in.
Maybe my long post has helped.

Joke: Man goes to see his psychologist sits down and says to him " Doc everyone hates me". The doctor looks at him and replys " That's ridiculous ; not everyone's met you yet".
Have a good day

Mishka7325t5
Msg: 122
Posted: 10/14/2006 12:18:14 AM
Dear Spicy 47:

I have read your story and wanted to make some brief comments:

The man you were involved with as you described it in the beginning loved you but as time passed he found someone else on the internet. Once this happened he purposely tried to create a negative environment for you in your home with him for the purpose of persuading you to make the decision to leave him so he could bring the other woman in. It's called behavior modification and in my opinion that's exactly what he was trying to do. His insulting personal comments and behavior were part of this ruse he was playing with you. He did this to break down your self-esteem and to make you feel like you were the cause when in fact it was all a big plan for you to be replaced that would take effect when you left on your own accord. He did all of this because he knew you loved him and it would be very hard for you to leave the dwelling otherwise. He was unfortunately more enfatuated with the other woman he liked more and who he wanted with him. I suspect these changes you saw in him occurred very rapidly withing the span of a week or two and suddenly then progresed more and more and more severely. If that's the case then the reason for it was because he knew that the new woman would not be waiting very long and he wanted her in the house with him and not you. I also feel that this other woman knew nothing about you or that you even existed. He said all the bad things about you to justify his case to his parents and friends so that once he drove you away they feel falsly making them have a bad impression of you and not him. You see once you're not there he still has to live with them and explain to them why you left. If they had the bad impression of you to start with before you left then his explanation of why you left would be easier and also false.
Is he a sociopath/psychopath ?. Probably not because he is more of a manipulator and womanizer.

Now I may be wrong about all of this as I am just analysing your post as it was written and can't ask you further questions. So you'll have to tell me if what I am saying makes sense to you. People do this all the time when they want somebody new. Some people will even kill to be with someone else and that's real pathological behavior. You would be horrified and amazed what some maladaptive people are capable of and have done.

Now when he was trying to tell you that you weren't beautiful ; he lied because you're a very beautiful woman and I think everyone here would agree with me on that too.
 colt8301
Msg: 124
Posted: 12/13/2006 12:24:53 AM
well in the hare's list I have 7,8,9,10, 18, 20. looks like I am a borderline psychopath. I think everyone in the world has exhibited a certain form of those behaviors mentioned above. like Norman Bates said "We all go a little crazy sometime" I think all people in general have the potential for being pyschopathic killers. Look for example tell me upstanding citizens can all of a sudden turn in a bloodthirsty mob on black fridays or release of popular videogames turn people into maniacal killers, that's the animal part in us, we still have that blood lust gene all we need is a trigger, I am pretty sure if there was no law complete anarchy or if it was not instill in our heads that murder was wrong, there would be alot more death.
 2a4r5i225
Msg: 127
Posted: 1/5/2007 1:28:08 AM
Hi, just a thought that someone who is to be considered a sociopath or psychopath might have a reason for being that way. Also from what I read so far manipulative and very nice and very intellegent people have a slight tendency to be a sociopath or psychopath? My ex is a psychopath to say the least so I do agree to a point, but if some normal guy is very nice and intellegent does that make him a psychopath or a sociopath? Just another thought mabye sociopaths and psychopaths have been screwed over agian and agian until they snap, or could it be a brian disorder, or could they do what they do just for no reason? In my opinion human nature can be very gruesome or very delightful, depending on the person, there surroundings, the circumstances they have been through with either the dark side added to that or the light side added. Human nature is the same as Nature in my opinion, it sucks to have such cruel acts in the world but to some people having a good thing happen to them may seem like a cruel act because of human nature and people can be very cruel.
Anyways I mean no offense to anyone, I just see violent crimes happining every time eye close my eyes does this make me a psychopath? Sociopath? Or does this make more in tune with the cruel side of human nature?
 Antonin
Msg: 128
Posted: 1/7/2007 1:45:24 AM
'Characteristics of a socio-psychopath?

...Just take a good look at profiles of King Bush and the entire US Congress ...You know, the ones that have just murdered over 650,000 Iraqis.
 Antonin
Msg: 129
Posted: 1/7/2007 1:47:42 AM
...oh, and of course, mirrors are available upon request.
 PALEHORSERIDING
Msg: 132
Posted: 2/27/2007 11:13:15 AM
take away 16 15 14 9 13 10 17 and tweak number three depends on what I am doing period as I am ADHD and this is me period. but then again I am a diagnosed ADHD with sociopathich and narciistic tendencies
 PALEHORSERIDING
Msg: 135
Posted: 2/28/2007 1:18:48 PM
this site never worked for me as it is. I come here more for the forums then anything else.
 whitesburgwade1
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2007 4:51:44 PM
I have voted for many of these people. I call them polititions
 whitesburgwade1
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2007 4:52:23 PM
I have voted for many of these people. I call them politicians......sp
 rockondon
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2007 7:03:20 PM
I read an interesting article on psychopaths once. It speculated that 1% of the population were psychopaths.

One thing that was kind of neat, if you hook up a regular person to a machine that shocks you every 10 seconds, the person will anticipate the upcoming shock, grow nervous, increase heart rate, hairs stand on end, sweat, *ZAP* , relax a little, grow nervous...etc rinse and repeat
The psychopath just sits there. Pulse, breathing, sweating, etc doesn't change. They would probably be quite curious what the point of getting worked up about the jolt is...its not like getting nervous about it will stop it from zapping you again.

If a psycho witnessed a fatal car accident where one person died and one lived, they might closely watch how the survivor reacts to seeing their friend/family member die. In case the psycho loses someone close to them one day, it'll be useful to know how they should look to make it appear that they're all torn up about it.

No conscience. That'd be weird.
 MuseInspired45
Msg: 139
Posted: 3/11/2007 1:51:44 AM
Hi everyone - I work as a domestic violence counsellor and have some experience of the consequences of sociopathic/psychopathic behaviours - and I guess my comments would include having an understanding of what it means to 'survive' any encounter with people of this nature. They are high manipulators and will use vulnerability as a way of gaining 'power'. Violence (in its many forms - social, financial, physical, emotional, legal and psychological) is a strategy for maintaining control and domination over the 'other' (victim/survivor). For me the psychobiosocial explanation is useful and is inclusive of all of what has been discussed in this forum - what is clear is that people are taken 'hostage' psychologically, supported by environmental and social norms (ie. the Cinderella story) and socialisations (ie. we need a partner in our life) and then gradually over time the sordid nature of sociopathic tendencies reveal themselves. The consequences are Stockholm Syndrome (surviving as paramount) and post traumatic stress - no one 'chooses' to be in aviolent relationship and often leaving can be significantly dangerous (the violence often escalates). I think we need to educate educate educate on the preindicators of potential violence (some of them are considered 'romantic'!!) and hence provide information and support rather than victim blaming..............Hope that's useful to the discussion The Muse
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >