Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Why do guys give out their phone numbers right away?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 stilsearchn
Msg: 1
Why do guys give out their phone numbers right away?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Seriously..what if you get some psycho gal on the line and you can't get rid of her now that you gave her your number? I do not give out my number unless I've talked to them for a bit online first and am able to get comfy with them without meeting them right away. Besides I recently gave my number to a guy and when I didn't want to see him anymore and let him know, he was all about 'why?'
 JWA
Msg: 2
Why do guys give out their phone numbers right away?
Posted: 8/30/2007 6:55:44 PM
Most men have absolutely no fear about most women so if they have our contact information we're just not concerned. Women do need to be a bit more careful which they tend to be. I don't know talking online is any indicator whether someone can be trusted with anything other than your HotMail address so it's always going to be a bit risky when exchanging things like phone numbers or addresses.
 kwh56
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2007 7:32:24 PM
I give one number out a lot...Its a AIM phone line and it uses your computer. All incoming calls are free and you have total control over it. Women might be interested in this too. You get a regular number assigned to you and its private so nobody can get your personal info
 Got Trance
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/30/2007 8:09:49 PM
I fail to understand why people THINK they can get to know someone through e-mail or instant messaging. Would these same people not talk to someone they met at a public place? Would they give them their e-mail address and insist that they e-mail for awhile, "So I can get to know you better." Sure, a few messages are fine to find out if you have anything in common. But nothing beats a face to face meeting. That's the only way you can tell if there is any chemistry.
 Jonathan85
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/30/2007 9:54:56 PM
I suppose if more women were willing to use free services like Skype, then phone numbers would be unnecessary.

I myself wasn't familiar with skype until I had to set up a terminal with it at work a few days ago.
 gtomustang
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/31/2007 5:19:06 AM
Why not, its not like the women have the guts to call, anyway :)

Besides, you can give her your number, then move on to the next contestant...
 stilsearchn
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/2/2007 12:41:27 PM
Almostkoolguy...yea, that's what I'm hoping doesn't happen on the first meeting or second or maybe even the third.

Usually I do give out my number, but still, have been through the old burn and trying once again through POF, but not wanting to be stupid about it either.
 Krimiariver
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/3/2007 2:41:33 PM
I have never given my phone number right away, but in the last 2 months I have had 3 women give me their numbers before I had asked for them. In fact, one of them gave her number on her first contact to me. So some guys do, some don't. Some women do, some don't. Kind of what you might expect.
 farmerboyd
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2007 2:47:02 PM
I only give out my number if i want the girll to call. Plain and simple. Now if it turns out that i dont like her after we talk a few times i will tell her not to call anymore (be honest). If she still calls, then dont answer (caller ID). No one i have ever known will keep calling over and over if you dont answer. They give up sooner or later.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2007 4:13:37 PM
There is much to hear in a voice that no pen can ever show. Worry if a guy pressures you to give you your number. As to psychos, some of us simply don't care and have the ability to get a bit psychotic if we have to. Please don't hurt me.
 stilsearchn
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/3/2007 7:35:40 PM
Actually, I was just curious, I got a lot of good down to earth answers and a few not so grand answers as to think some guys might know what some women have dealt with in the past with weirdos and their phone calls. Frankly, it's easier to block a phone number on a land line than it is on a cell phone. 99.9% of us have the use of cell phones today, I had to change cell phones completely and get a brand new phone number a few years ago when an ex was stalking me..finally he got a life and left me alone...and I moved away LOL.

No paranoid woman here, just smart
 stilsearchn
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/4/2007 8:30:09 PM
at least you can educate me with a sense of humor.
When I contacted my cell carrier at the time, I was unable to block the number, I had to go all out, buy I got a free cell phone from my phone company and that was that..true, i did date the idiot, but that was then, this is now..now I know what to look out for..and phone numbers will be taken into consideration, at least if there's a pic involved when the guys contact me with their number, I mean, after all, fair is fair, right?

I have been attending local POF events and getting to know more and more people to hang out with (women) and guys to possibly get to know/date..and it's very enjoyable to get out in this big town of mine, which I've normally ditched on the weekends to go back to my hometown and see my other friends and relatives..I'm having a blast; so we shall see what happens.
 EC22
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/5/2007 8:34:46 AM
I don't ask for a woman's number or give my number after 1 or 2 emails. However if I have exchanged 4 or 5 emails with a woman and it seems like there is a connection, then I will ask for a woman's number. I think I can get to know a person better by phone than by swapping a bunch of emails.
 brock11
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/6/2007 8:46:03 AM
Why are some women so anal about this topic? Maybe it is easier for a man to communicate by phone than email. Maybe he thinks he can get to know a person better by phone. Maybe he doesn't want to keep spending his time swapping emails. BTW you can meet perverts or psychos anywhere whether it's on the internet, bar, club, social event, mall, bus stop etc.
 romanticmale62
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/7/2007 9:31:47 AM
i'm sorry but that is a stupid question..........first of all you failed to name how long it took for that man to give his number out and second ,does it really matter because you don't have to call him if you don't want to..........life is nothing but chance anyways even if the ladie gave her number out.........i mean if some perverted freak was indeed a freak and wanted to hurt someone nothing will stop him........he will just play the field until he gets around to you.............ok now,not speaking of experience here you know lol,....just speaking a fact.......no one would ever figure Ted Bundy or Wyane Gacy would ever be the slime perverted freaks they turned out to be now did they until it was to late for those poor people........now i realize there where no computers back then and as far as i know no one gave there numbers out but i was just using a example that no matter how safe one can try to be sometimes it will not matter.
 sjenner
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/9/2008 8:48:43 PM
Usually give a lady a cell or non-personal pbone to contact me so that way even if she turns out to be a complete psycho or freak I can not be worried about it.
 Lucky_Vet
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/9/2008 10:00:22 PM
I've had a few psycho girls over the years. One hung off the wiper blades of my truck, another kept showing up at my work, a few have climbed through my window in the middle of the night (attempting to rape me),.....

Girl stalkers? Yup, they exist, and its ****in' creepy.
 violet462008
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2008 8:36:19 PM
I've had this happen to me on a few occasions. If on the 1st message sent to me, the guy includes his #, I consider that a huge turnoff. Not to mention a little scary.
 WpgGentleman2
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/15/2008 1:00:59 AM
There is automated stuff in the phone system these days that makes it fairly easy to report prank phone calls. And most girls are busy enough with healthy activities that they don't have time to waste on prank calls to guys they dated once.

So the risk in giving out the phone number initially is pretty minimal compared to the benefit of a nice date.

Now, you date for 2 years and you break up. Now she might harass you, but it is pretty hard to date someone for 2 years and not give them your phone number. So that is an unavoidable risk.
 WpgGentleman2
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/15/2008 1:03:41 AM

I believe it is b/c they are desperate.

Not desperate enough to send it to someone with so little understanding of her fellow human beings.
 LemonVision
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2008 11:46:33 AM
Probably guys are just less afraid of bad consequences from doing so.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Why do guys give out their phone numbers right away?