Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 A Moment in Time
Msg: 2
Need some advice as an ex dadPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
This is such a hard position to be in, now I guess you can understand how step parents feel. You should never stop your relationship with the girls as it is not their fault. Their mother has moved on to another relationship(not because of another person, just loss all feelings for him) and so should you. They will always love you and as they have already lost one dad it would not be fair to lose another one.

My ex got a girlfriend right away, I am not jealous just hurt that after 14 years he could move on even though I was the one who ended it. They like this new person, at first I would have preferred that they didn't but then it is better if they like her so then i know she will be good to them.

You will always be the "dad" that they grew up with and that will never change. If she left you for another most likely she'll do it again.

Take care of your relationship with the girls and I would probably avoid the "family" get togethers as that is not how your relationship is at this point as this is probably not good for any of you, maybe spend time with the girls alone.

Good Luck
 mamacujo
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Need some advice as an ex dad
Posted: 9/13/2007 8:02:09 AM
Yes you are in a tough situation. But you have to look apast what you want or feel and think about how to help these girls emotionally. Kids are alot more resourceful then adults give them credit for. Kids will often time feed off what ever emotions one or both of the parents are showing. You yourself at some point in time will have a new woman come into your/their lives too. Help them understand that this new man isn't there to be there new daddy. Don't jump to conclusions and worry about things that have not happened yet. Help them understand that just because things didn't work between you and their mom that you will still be part of their lives and moms new friend is just that a friend...why worry about the future when its unpredictible. Once the new wears off this travel will get old and probably wont last.
 wanderbaby
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Need some advice as an ex dad
Posted: 9/14/2007 1:07:16 PM
If you aren't happy at where you're at other than being with the kids, then you should move on but visit often and have themvisit you. Stay connected thru phones and emails. As long as you can show to them that you care and talking to them consistantly, then you should move so you can find your happiness elsewhere.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >