Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 restless_native
Msg: 6
view profile
History
£1m of child benefit paid out a month - to mothers in Poland !!Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
If the man is working in the UK, to be eligible for these benefits I would imagine that he is paying tax and national insurance at the same rate as any other worker.

I would also imagine that any other workers' family would be eligible for the same benefits regardless of their country of birth. I don't see that the geographical location of his family is relevant. They still need to be supported in the same way as any other family would.
 restless_native
Msg: 9
view profile
History
£1m of child benefit paid out a month - to mothers in Poland !!
Posted: 9/22/2007 6:05:36 AM
I assume she is a citizen of Poland and therefore the onus for financial handouts should fall upon her own government for "top-ups"

But, the fact is that he isn't currently paying tax in Poland and I imagine that she is a dependant of his otherwise she wouldn't be entitled to the benefits she is receiving.

OK, lets take the "Poles coming over here and taking our jobs" emotions which the Daily Mail want to play on out of the argument for a moment.

Hypothetical situation.......

A man who was born in country "A" goes to work in country "B". He no longer pays tax or national insurance contributions to country "A", but instead pays them to country "B".

I don't believe that's it's unreasonable that any supplementary benefits to which he or his family (as dependants) may be entitled are paid by the country which is receiving his contributions rather than the country which isn't.
 restless_native
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2007 6:44:27 AM

So we are basically footing the bill for a taxpayers dependent in another country

Yes we are.

She has 2 children at school age and therefore should be elligble to seek employment ...full or part time . Are we therefore responsible for another countrys unemployed citizens needing financial help ? Will the local Unemplyment Office be checking up to see that she is actively seeking employment ?

I'm not sure if being a housewife is the same a being unemployed from a benefits point of view. Do housewives over here have to be seeking employment before they receive supplementary benefit? I didn't think that they did. Is this woman receiving unemployment benefit? The article doesn't mention that. I assumed it was supplementary benefit.
 restless_native
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2007 7:28:57 AM

the point being she is not over here but reaps the benefits of our system in another country

I agree completely that she is. I just don't think that's unrreasonable under the circumstances.

Will we be footing the bill also if his granmother for instance needs an operation because she is also reliant on him and our own citizens have to wait for that operation ???

I don't think so. If your grandmother needed an operation would it be done as a result of your contributions? I don't believe it would. I think there's a limit to who can be defined as a dependant isn't there?
 Nienna Telrunya
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2007 2:45:40 PM
Too flipping right! There are people in this country earning about £20,000 a yr and are being told they dont qualify for family tax credits, as they 'earn too much'. And this guy earns nearly double that. Why on earth should we pay for families in other countries? There are people in this counrty, who were born here and have lived here all their lives, who are being overlooked by the wellfare system, just because they earn a few quid a mth over the 'limit' of tax credits.
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2007 6:01:58 PM
yet another way for Nu Labia to buy votes
 Bodiesroadie
Msg: 28
view profile
History
disgusting
Posted: 9/23/2007 10:59:20 AM
I have not read all of this thread so i dont know if its already been mentioned.
I was given to believe the money paid out by this country in these instances is repaid from a central European fund.
If this is indeed the case, it seems to me that the media are, yet again guilty of stirring up trouble and bad feelings in order to get a story.
 restless_native
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2007 9:14:47 AM
At least this thread has proved one thing;

The Daily Mail is extremely skilled at winding an ignorant mob into a frenzy by just giving them enough information to make them believe whatever they want them to.

Scrounging Poles. Coming over here. Taking our jobs. It's a bloody disgrace. Send the buggers back where they came from.
 Talk4England
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2008 1:48:38 PM
Not sure about the truth behind this & other scare stories but would feel happier if our benefits were handled the same way as the revenue is collected.
If Her Majesties Tax Collectors were also in charge of dispensing benefits the overall output would be greatly reduced.
It amazes me the care & scrutiny it is collected with then the ease & carelessness it is dished out with.
 badge73
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2009 7:43:48 AM
Ahh but i bet you didnt know under the eu rules the uk government has to pay the polish benefits. Its the same ruling that states uk pensioners have to recieve the heating allowence even tho they have retired to spain!! Thanks eu ... Not!!
 Sunsation1
Msg: 103
Posted: 9/4/2009 12:17:01 PM
You think it is bad in the EU, American tax payers doled out 33 billion dollars to the Mexiacan government for welfare check and Social Security payments to people who are not citizens of the USA..
 Warrencraig
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2009 1:40:01 PM
If the kids where living here then no problem with it. problem is they are abroad so the money is being taken out of our economy.
 Warrencraig
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2009 5:05:55 PM
how about changing the rules so benefits cant be paid to families living outside the UK. solves that foreigner problem straight away!!!

And its not a "tiny" amount. In this current economic climate, a few hundred million here and there soon adds up to billions!! Every little counts when it comes to sorting out the financial mess this country is in!!!!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >