Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 darkjedi1
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Is cleaning my plate with my bread disgusting?Page 7 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I never saw that actually done until i moved to texas with my girlfriend. She did it all the time, now i do it too lol. I dont see anything wrong with it at all.
 darkjedi1
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Is cleaning my plate with my bread disgusting?
Posted: 9/25/2007 8:23:45 PM
Cleaning your plate with your bread doesnt mean your a redneck, LOTS more then that equal a redneck lol. You dont trully know what a redneck is until you move to the south lol.
 darkjedi1
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2007 9:25:55 PM

^^^ well in my part of the world scraping your plate with bread resembles a redneck.....now c'mon darkjedi1 I love you folks down in Tennessee, that lovely accent will melt anyone's heart .

Yes the accent is great here huh lol. Im originaly from california, moved to texas, then oklahoma, and now here in memphis tn. Hell i had a hard time at times understanding some people in texas, now here, oh my god. I work at a messenging service, some people their accent is so damn bad i have to ask them repeatedly what they said. Which of course pisses them off lol.
 prolibertate
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/27/2007 11:46:15 AM

you clean your plate with bread ...then you might as well scratch your arse while your at it.......because you've just broached redneck territory.

In that case, I didn't know we Yankees could be rednecks ;) Frankly scratching one's arse is a bit more crude than wiping sauce off one's plate with a slice of bread. Considering that some places look at it as an insult if you *don't* do that, that it's 'manners' to push food onto one's fork *with* bread for food where a knife isn't used...which means the bread gets sopped into what's on the plate and then eaten anyway, and in medieval times not only did they use their fingers but their trenchers were made of bread...which was eaten after it soaked up all the juices of the dinner laid on it...I'd say there's more tradition for wiping than not...and regardless of where I am or who I'm with, if the stuff on the plate tastes good and there's excellent bread on the table, then they're both going to be put to delicious use ;)
 lie to me
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/27/2007 12:40:24 PM
Ah honey - go ahead and be yourself. We love you that way. Quite frankly, try and stop me if there's a good sauce on my plate - gimme that bread! How about that thick, juicy steak that's just oozing juice every where, and they give you a thick crispy slice of good ol Texas toast? WTH do ya think that's there for? Go for it - if you didn't, I'd think there was something wrong with you. ---- But in a restaurant, try a LITTLE tact - don't lick the plate, and don't make a 'sucking' sound when you lick your fingers.
 rustytraveler
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/28/2007 4:02:35 AM
My Nonno Giovanni said if you're eating 'out' simply break off a small piece of bread and push it around with your fork with the soft side down, to get the very last goodies .
 lie to me
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/28/2007 12:33:38 PM
^^^^quite dignified if you're dining at Buckingham P, but give me a greasy spoon or a beat up old surf-n-turf shack any day.
 thatguy276
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2007 3:18:09 AM
Dude, call me redneck fy'ont to but there ain't a drop of gravy, spaghetti sauce, bean juice,or egg yolk on my plate or bowl that hasn't met it's fate from a piece of corn bread, toast, biscuit or white bread. Grandpa wouldn't allow no wastin'. Where I come from it's not just accepted, it's expected and only a priss would think otherwise. lol
 mizbex
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/30/2007 8:26:24 AM
What about dipping bread into fine Olive Oil? How would she feel about that? I think there is a way to dip your bread and not offend anyone.

I think there are far worse dining offenses than dipping bread, such as talking with food in you mouth while you wave you hands around and using your utensils for emphisis. Or my personal favorite, holding you fork with a fist and playing "stab the meat and make sure it is dead."
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/7/2007 8:12:30 PM
I generally don't do it, but it's not a question of etiquette to me so much as an "I'm too full by then" thing.

it's kind of a stupid thing to be put off by. Would she have preferred you pick up the plate and lick it? Or used your fingers?

Some people's kids... I swear.
 tombrokenspoke
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2007 7:40:02 PM
When It's That Good, I lick it!!
 Insearchoflosttreasure
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/10/2007 6:22:09 AM
OK if you are out with the boys on a night on the town, but not really something to do when taking out any lady for a dinner date. Just not cool. If everything tastes so good, order more, and that would be as equally as wrong at least on a date. At home sure, and ever try gravy on bread, hey what a treat!
 Roamingsiris
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2007 7:45:35 AM
ROFL.

Everyone in my house does that. Actually, everyone in my family does that.

Hmm, maybe it is a farmer thing? I dont know....

Mmmm Gravy. Goddamn I cant wait for Xmas dinner!
 mistressdolly
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/11/2007 7:52:55 AM
Sure, go ahead and clean the plate w/ your bread.
Just don't let anyone see you. :-o

Mistress Dolly
the orig.
 Akutenshi
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2007 1:58:33 PM
I think its fine.

...But then again, i think the medievil style of eating is cool too, bare hands and your mouth hasnt got enough food in it until things are falling out of it, then wash it all down with a huge tankard of mead that ends up mostly on your face rather than in your mouth. Never done it, but one day, when i dont care if i get food all over me and its at some renaissance fair and its to be expected... watch out!

Now, watching my brother lick his plate clean and the plate being made of glass is a another story >_<
 fancynanci
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2007 3:26:20 PM
No just please don't lick your plate!
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/11/2007 3:58:14 PM
It is de rigeur in many parts of the world. I personally would never think it rude unless you were gettting gravy all over your face and hands or slurping as you go.
 lonesome wonderer
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2008 8:24:28 PM
hey! tony! are you italian or something? i'm not italian but i know a lot of italians that clean up the rest of the gravy (sauce) with their italian bread. although some other people do it as well there are those that find it offensive. me, personally? there's nothing wrong with cleaning the plate with bread, just don't sit there and lick it like a dog.

oh, btw, i've also been told that unless the plate is cleaned (gravy/sauce) cleaned off that sometimes the cook might take that as an insult......especially at those fancy italian restaurants.
 Rythmn
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2008 4:42:08 AM
it depends on where you are and how you are doing it. if you are eating a chicken dinner in a restaurant and start cleaning your plate with your bread, it would be bad manners. usually bad manners go with other turn offs. here in japanese restaurants people drink soup w/o a spoon. but how about going into another plain old restaurant and drinking soup w/o a spoon? i haven't even seen japanese people do this in this type of restaurant , but i have seen american born men do this and it is a very big turnoff to me.

it's not the same as dipping bread in a sauce and w/o "slobbering" and "grunting". it's not the same as eating at home watching tv. it's basically low class and i figure it embarrasses and says something about the person doing it--unless it is appropriate for the kind of food and type of restaurant.

when it gets to be embarrassing to me "personally" is when i am at a fund raiser or a corporate dinner or the person is so "out of it" that others wonder, what the hell am i doing with him? and how desparate am i?

surely you also have some expectations of how a woman will eat when out with you? want her to pick her teeth? or make noises when she eats? want her to have stains on her shirt? be honest now. ....or just stick with mc donalds or find yourself someone who eats in the same way. my guess is that you will not find her attractive. that this is some sort of "guy" thing.
 vegan goddess
Msg: 39
Posted: 4/27/2008 6:03:16 PM
I grew up in Queens so had many Italian friends. Usually this practice was done with Italian food only. We never did it at our house, but not because it was gross, just because we usually didn't eat bread with a food that had a gooey sauce. However, when we ate Italian we did it (and we're jewish). And my Italian friends do it and it's fine. I am assuming you are doing it neatly-not getting your fingers in the sauce and/or slobbering all over the plate of ocurse. ;)

P.S. My brother in law is Italian and now my 2 little nephews know how to do it too and it's great.

P.P.S. This is just a cultural thing that some races do more than others. For example, Indian food traditionally comes with bread so they do it too (I eat Indian food alot). Also, Ethiopian food is traditionally served over a big fluffy bread so they also do it. However, don't see it too much with Jewish food (not bread heavy) or Chinese (not bread heavy). So, it's just cultural-no big deal.

When you eat out again with a girl try to show her how cool it is and yummy to get the sauce with the bread-maybe you'll get a new convert. :).
 DDay555
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2008 7:54:42 AM
Gez... If you don't clean your plate with your bread in an Italian household or at dinner it's like an insult...

Why do you think Italian bread is so spongy and absorbent? You'd be leaving the best part of the meal behind!

OP: Go for it, dip away, use it as a filter on a date. If they find it gross, simply say: "NEXT!"

The women that find that little "mannerism" attractive are the one's you should be dating anyway. Less complaining about the little stupid things and more enjoying being together and life. Just make sure to use your napkin properly...
 lonesome wonderer
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2008 7:31:25 PM
Yes, My Dear... I am Italian! LOL! And You called it "Gravy".... You're just a girl after My own heart!

hey, piasono, if you're hanging out with the italians then you learn that it's not called sauce, it's called gravy. even though the stuff that you buy in the stores is called sauce, different countries, different nationalities say things differently. i just wished i knew how to make the gravy from scratch, put it over my pasta and have a nice glass of dago red to wash it down.

oh and ummm, when my neighbor had dinner here over a month ago i asked him "how much gravy would you like over your pasta?"...he looked at me as if i was nuts and going to put some kind of gravy over it like beef or chicken. :roll:
 _JAFO_
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/4/2008 10:03:28 AM
Slopping your plate with your bread to get every bit of goodness should be used with discretion in public.

Depending on what part of the country you are in might be another factor. The type of dining cuisine and ambiance would be another.

As has been pointed out. Customs are different depending where your heritage lies.

My mother, being of Parisian descent was scolded when she first came into this country. It is an American custom to clean the plate. The cleaner the plate, the bigger the compliment to the cook in this country. In France -- at least back when she lived there -- it was the custom to leave something on the plate. In France it was bad table manners to clean the plate. Considered vulgar.

By using bread to clean your plate is an old American custom.

I embrace both the American and European customs. I eat with fork and knife in each hand european style and -- with discretion -- have been known to use bread as a tool to get every bit of goodness off the plate.
 DDay555
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2008 7:48:33 AM
It's "Gravy" to *most* Italian-Americans, not "Sauce" if it's red and made out of tomatoes. Immigrants translated the Italian "Sauce" (sugo) into American "Gravy".

This is more common in the older neighborhoods that still have their roots, especially on the East Coast centered on Ellis Island. My Great-Grandmother called it sugo and my Grandmother called it Gravy. Go figure...

By using bread to clean your plate is an old American custom.

And a much older European custom.

Cleaning one's plate with the bread ALSO has roots with financial situations where bread was a "Filler" with a dinner. It's also a "Don't waste anything" mentality as well. There's two sides to this tradition.

The cleaning one's plate with the bread tradition as a compliment happened far later.

I'm glad to see so many paisano around, Ciao a tutti...
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  >