Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 19
Girl more picky on Plenty of Fish than they would be in real life?Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Nope, I am pretty picky everywhere. Online is no exception.
 thatguy276
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Girl more picky on Plenty of Fish than they would be in real life?
Posted: 9/25/2007 10:43:21 PM
Something about that just don't seem fair, talista. You said you're willing to take a guys number, but not give your own. What if you met a really great guy that you connected with on nearly every level and he, like you, never gives out his number?
And this may be a dating site, but it's also just a place to meet people and chat so if you responded to my email or IM I wouldn't necessarily think you were interested unless you said or did something to make me think you were. Then again I'm not your average horndog either so maybe my opinion won't matter much on this one...
Anywho happy
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/26/2007 9:48:10 AM
We just seem pickier here because we see more of what someone's about before meeting them. We're just as picky in real life, but we have chemistry and attraction first, not after. Here it's all information we read and decide we like or don't, and once we do, then the personal vibe determines going any further.

Even though we might be attracted to someone we meet in person, we will still pass on them once we learn what we need to know in terms of dealbreakers. Unfortunately we spend more time with someone we meet in person based on the vibe we get, and it's closer to a breakup when we learn something about them we can't accept.

Here is better for us actually, because we won't waste our time with people who we don't have anything in common with, or who do things that don't fit our lifestyle. The meeting, time spent and eventual breakup (or change of interest) is avoided.
 gizmosellschickens
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2007 2:02:41 PM
You cant blame women for it can ya. Lots a loons or craizes in the world.
 orchidtigress
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/26/2007 8:39:20 PM
I can only speak for myself, but find I am the opposite. Usually less picky on-line since: cannot read body langauge, if I like the sound of their voice, if they can keep my attention, if there is chemistry, etc. So usually after trying to analyze based on pre-liminary information I make a judgement call to meet or not to find out more and give the person a chance I might not have otherwise.
 Mosey_Burns
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/27/2008 9:47:47 AM
In person there is pressure to be polite and give a guy a chance. On the internet a woman can simply not reply without fear of seeming like a b i t c h to anyone but herself and the guy she rejects.
 northeast25
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/27/2008 11:45:14 AM
IMO many (not all ) women are more picky because they can look at a man's "stats" from his profile. If his stats don't exactly match a woman's criteria, then many women will reject him right away. Certain "stats" are less noticable in real life. For example many women on POF won't date a man under a certain height such as 5' 10". Yet if they saw a man that is 5' 9" in real life, they might not reject him due to his height. 1 inch often isn't that noticeable. Another example. A woman on POF might only date men between the ages of 30-40. A 29 or 41 yr old man might not be able to contact her because of her age restriction. Yet in real life, a woman can't exactly tell how old a man is just by looking at him.
 juan562
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/27/2008 6:08:27 PM
sad truth, they will only reply to the good looking men...my friend did a test on this site where 95-97 of the women responded to his email all without anything on his profile interesting or worth talking about. sad, but true
 lonesome wonderer
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/29/2008 4:38:53 PM
i'm not picky, i talk to everyone that contacts me whether it be in here, any other sites, or in person. if a guy were to initiate a conversation with me then i would talk to them (in person) but in here if a guy doesn't initiate a conversation then i keep on reading. i haven't been sifting through profiles only because there aren't too many guys that live close by me. why would i actually want to start a conversation with someone that i know might not be interested in me? there are some guys in here that i contacted but mostly because of an interested in their posts.
 MajorThomas
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2008 6:36:04 PM
Someone posted a lot of it has to do with looks.

Thats true, if your a 10/10 you can write the dumbest emails and lamest profile and girls will respond and will ask to meet you.

But, if youre average you can still get 9s or 10s that will respond if you write something witty. The bad part being is you have to keep writing esquisitly crafted emails every time until the girl will agree to meet you, even then its a crap shoot after she meets you.

If youre attractive, women will give you a break, if your average you really have to be on your game and online dating just adds to the time you waste.

As a guy I would NOT USE ONLINE DATING as a primary means of meeting women unless your a 10/10. its a numbers game, even if youre a 8/10 there might be 50 other guys that are 8s or 9s messenging girls and the probability that a girl will respond or have the time to respond will be low. If your a 8 your success at getting women that are 7-10 in real life is going to much higher, because in real life out of a random crowd of people 8s stand out (think geographic restriction, not all the hot people can be in 1 spot at the same time)

Use online dating as a secondary source for dating. I would suggest just getting out there, go to the book store, go shopping, go to the park, walk your dog, whatever it is go out to be seen.
 MajorThomas
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2008 6:43:22 PM
lol, k ya i guess my previous post is a little shallow, but its true most people want the most attractive person they can find, its just natural.

Let me clarify. If you do not care about looks what so ever then online dating will be a bonanza for you, in that case i suggest you try eharmony and fail their 5 hour long pretest 20 times before getting accepted.
 kasandroid
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/6/2008 8:44:19 PM
HERE COMES MORE MASS CONFUSION FROM THE MEN:

So you don't want women to be picky on here then? You want them to BANG every MAN who messages them, so you GUYS can start another thread asking WHY AREN'T THERE ANY OLD-FASHIONED LADIES AROUND, they are all DAMAGED GOODS WHO CAN'T KEEP THEIR LEGS CLOSED?.......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

So are you MEN saying your not PICKY yourselves then? You just date EVERYONE? THEN COMES ANOTHER THREAD OF MORE MEN COMPLAINING ABOUT ALL WOMEN BEING CRAZY, STALKING, GOLDDIGGERS..................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Keep up the FANTASY that all the women on here are all getting floods of E-mail as well and that every man a woman messages ALWAYS writes back-cause I guess MEN AREN'T PICKY and give ALL THE LADIES A CHANCE.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Oh and yes as for the FAVORITES LIST, well golly gee it must be OFFICIAL we must be dating and BANGING everyone on the list, because there is NO POSSIBLE WAY MEN are adding a woman to their lists because of something she WROTE. No I guess it's not possible a MAN/WOMAN might add someone to their lists because they like someone's MIND. Yes it must be true all these women with tons of favorites must have NO LIVES TO LIVE and NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH THEIR TIME then MEET all their FAVORITES and PLAY MORE GAMES, and by freaking GOLLY all these WOMEN must be BLOODY RICH AS WELL to afford PLANE FARE to meet all their FAVORITES who live thousands of MILES AWAY......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
 juan562
Msg: 56
Posted: 3/6/2008 9:28:09 PM
coustoe76 you hit it right on the nail about if you're a 10/10 and have a stupid profile you get a lot of responses. good on ya!. ...also take note guys, that if you're really attractive, and you stand up a date, the women will forgive you for any stupid reason and want to reschedule. it is absolutely outta control. they'd rather be stood up 1-3 times instead of a date with an honest ok looking guy. On that note, if the guy is a 9 or a 10, women will disregard that he's slept with more that his fingers and toes? And they say they want a nice guy?...whatever.
 juan562
Msg: 58
Posted: 3/6/2008 9:56:43 PM
here's another thing women do as a trick... if the guy is attractive 9 or 10 they say that the little info is good as it 'adds mystery' . They'll also say that they have alot in common if the guy is a 10 and does knitting as a hobby or sniffing deodorants on smelly armpits for a living...they don't care.
 juan562
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/6/2008 10:21:19 PM
My buddy also found out that if you(him for that matter) are attractive, the date will be within 1-3 days(1-2 days average). within this time...there is no conversation via phone ..just emailing and IMing. So moral of the story? if she's interested in you the conversation is short...not mailing back and forth 3-10 times, it's set, it's INSTANT. So obviously this is a game the women are playing, notice that they are not part taking in this topic?oh...FYI ...the guy just stood up 2 more women he wasn't interested in...total count= 7 or 9...guess what guys? take a guess? yep..they still want to date him.

Moral of the story, if you don't get a date between 1-3 emails, maybe 4, just maybe...she's not interested in you.

It also means that you're not attractive. Sad, but true.
 kasandroid
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/6/2008 11:44:02 PM
Can you men actually read what women post in these forums? I TYPE it all out for ya and then instead of absorbing what I say about the PARADOX you create yourselves, you say "have you been taking your meds"..........oh how witty like we haven't heard that before in these forums.......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

And then continue to WHINE.......oh well so and so liked someone else whose more ATTRACTIVE and now lets start on another theory/statistics on how long it takes to get a date after how many e-mails and how it so not fair. WAHHHHHHHHHH

YOU CANNOT FORCE WOMEN TO LIKE YOU, HOW ABOUT TRY ASKING WOMEN OUT IN THE FIRST PLACE? HOW ABOUT STOP MAKING ROMANCE A COMPETITION BASED ON NUMBERS? HOW ABOUT WORKING ON YOURSELF? HOW ABOUT IF YOU MEN ARE ARE TOO LAZY TO FIGURE OUT WOMEN, and LISTEN TO THE CLUES THEY WRITE OVER AND OVER AGAIN IN THESE FORUMS, HOW ABOUT YOU TURN GAY and WHINE TO EACH OTHER?

For all the men who say"I'm a NICE GUY", oh plueeze that's what the last AZZHOLE said...................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

:modhammer:
 kasandroid
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/7/2008 10:08:01 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What meds would that be? Don't you watch the news ? They don't work anymore. ONCE AGAIN ANOTHER WOMAN HAS TO GO POP PILLS NOW CAUSE AWE GUYS CAN'T HANDLE HER DEEP THOUGHTS IN THE FORUMS. Wow Men are so screwed now on POF since meds don't work....lmao

Oh you think I was harsh do ya? One guy here said he messaged a FAT chic one night cause he was bored and looking for people to chat and then he was surprised she didn't write back since FAT=DESPERATO in his head. Hmmm then yep another man telling a chic who shares her thoughts to pop another pill, oh and lets not forget men thinking if a chic has been on POF forever and a zillion favorites she's a wannabe POF Star playing games. OH NO MEN AREN'T HARSH AT ALL.

So MEN are fed up with not getting replies and it's okay for them to complain yet when women (women means PLURAL, more then me) tell YOU THE SAME thing happens to them you don't even listen. More posters just come along with more conspiracy theories about why they can't get a woman.

Sorry me pointing out the PARADOXES stated over and over again in all these forums, doesn't mean I am frustrated with men or HATE them. Trying to point out whats not working for men and how women are really getting SICK of being blamed for EVERYTHING when men don't get their own way, is HELPFUL to the people who STOP WHINING AND START LISTENING. Ever hear of tough love or what? Do Men post to hear the truth or post for a pity party while they BASH the Gender they wanna hook up with at the same time?

Good luck then, keep doing nothing and maybe a PERFECT PACKAGE OF A WOMAN WHO IS MUTE will just magically fall into your lap and you can forcefeed her meds if she doesn't service ya properly, aka: DO ALL THE WORK.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/7/2008 10:39:57 AM
Kasandroid, don't waste your good oxygen or keyboard - it's obviously a whinefest in here, they have no interest in a solution or anything logical that could stop them from having reason to complain.

P.S. I love how men say the "attractive" ones get the most attention, yet they can't define attraction from one woman to the next. If you're so sure what's attractive and think you're not it and it's a waste of time universally, then why are you here? Wouldn't it be better to move on to a more target rich environment?

Maybe you're hoping some of the attractive women you're messaging (ironically) might read this thread and date you out of pity.

Not sure what the point is here, other than venting - it's certainly not going to improve your dating success.
 fancynanci
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2008 10:47:21 AM
No. I'm just as picky in real life as I am on Plenty of Fish.
 kasandroid
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/7/2008 11:25:41 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^Good for you keep on making ASSUMPTIONS then, you have that covered, PUT THAT ON YOUR CONSPIRACY LIST THEN.

I say maybe we sould call ya all Boys because the Headline refers to us as Girls, and since ahem MEN/BOYS love to throw the POP a PILL remark around (nope men aren't harsh I forgot, LOL); and continue to act like PETULANT CHILDREN and oh gawd why do I bother?..............................

Ever think maybe some of us females don't care how much e-mail we get? That hmm maybe the world doesn't end if the e-mail box isn't flooded? That quality is better then quantity? That maybe we have a medical problem with our HAND like tendinitis or Carpal Tunnel and it's actually better to not have to BLAB with EVERYBODY?

Ever think maybe it's time to GROW up and learn that both Genders deal with rejection on a daily basis and it's not part of a Contrived conspiracy plan to make MEN/BOYS miserable.

Ever think that if there is a problem with getting dates it's not because your a MAN? Ever think it may because of other various reasons? This guys have it so HARDER is the BIGGEST PILE of ........................

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
 *buzz*
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2008 11:39:12 AM
I don't think so.
What catches our eyes on here is what would catch our eyes eventually anyway. Besides, how one presents themselves on here and what has to say is quite interesting *entree* into enticing visual stimuli.
 juan562
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/24/2008 9:18:05 PM
they are more picky on this site. ask any guy and 70-80% will say the same thing regardless how strong of a person they are.
 missdolly
Msg: 68
Posted: 3/24/2008 9:27:50 PM
One thing the internet affords you is the ability to see a small glimpse into someone's personality ****through*** their writing and they way they choose to represent (sell) themselves or put themselves "out there". Sometimes that speaks more loudly than seeing that same person at a store wearing a social mask cordially saying: "Nice to meet you, do you think just based on my good looks and present smile I am a good catch"?

MistressDolly

Alright ladies, let me ask this question.....

"Are you more picky about a guy on POF as opposed in real life?"

I'd like to think that this is a yes for most of the women on here, because I've sent messages and been ignored by some woman that I know for a fact, if I saw them at the store and approached them they'd be happy to give me there number.

I'm not saying that I'm all that at all. However I do get the feeling that some of the ladies on here are only being so picky because this is online and not real life.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 81
Are girls more picky on POF than they ARE in real life?
Posted: 3/26/2008 6:11:10 AM
The only drawbacks are you have to get married for her to stay in the country and you have to deal with a lot of red tape.

LOL, those might be a downer - ya think?

About contacting women online, they get tons of messages every day, so you have to persistent and keep writing to the ones you like until they respond or block you.

PLEASE don't do this. Most of us get the first message. No response means no interest. Repeatedly e-mailing or harassing doesn't make you a candidate for dating. The minute a guy thinks there's a certain number of tries that will work, he's disqualified.

And if you already aren't her type, how does repeatedly sending messages help? Annoys her, wastes your time. Not real productive.

Dont take it so serious-this is not a job!

Good point - what's with taking things so personally and seriously? It's a dating site, not an ivy leage enrollment form.
 northeast25
Msg: 86
Posted: 4/6/2008 8:30:05 PM
Again, that's just not true. At a max, I could see it being 20% of the women here getting all the messages, while all the rest are mostly ignored.

I don't know the exact number, but I think it is higher than 20%. I know several women that used POF at one point. The only women among this group that received very few emails were the ones that were well below average looking. The women that were okay looking or better received a fair amount of emails. I'm not saying that every woman who receives very few emails is unattractive. But it was true among this group of women.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  >